Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon August 18, 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Most reviews give a breakdown of the storyline. Two people trapped start to talk to each other about their lives and start to make realizations about their lives becase of their perilous situation. Ashley and Ben are two people that we get to know very very well and for me that makes a fantastic book. Since they are stranded we have a lot of time to delve into each of their minds. I love characterization and done well. I say that in nearly every review but it's what makes me love reading. I want to know the people I'm reading about otherwise I don't care about what happens to them. A fantastic plot can't fix the lack of character development for me. This book has both. I'm normally not a big fan of Christian fiction but dang if Mr. Martin doesn't do it very well without beating a bible over one's head. I really enjoyed this one.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2012
Inclement weather, cancelled commerical airline flights, and happenstance find Ashley (a soon-to-be-married writer) and Ben (a married, orthopedic surgeon)on the same charter flight. The chartered plane crashes in a wilderness area; and as the sole survivors, they are tasked with dealing with their situation.

The story is well-written, entertaining, etc. However, the editing is less than stellar; and the responsible party should be sentenced to 20-lashes-with-a-wet-noodle. C'mon! Editing oversights recur throughout the book, but a couple stand out. Page 54-Ben sleeps thirty-six hours straight through. Then on page 270, he sleeps 12 hours, the longest stretch of time he's slept since the crash. HELLO? Pg. 196-A mishap ruins his makeshift snowshoes. He dismantles them and uses the components to repair the sled. However, on pg. 243, he is wearing snowshoes again (and it is several pages further before he fortuitously finds a stash of snowshoes). This type of shoddy editing really causes disruption in the continuity of the story and makes the publishing house look second-rate.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2010
Another great book from Charles Martin! I loved this book from the first page to the last. It will pull at the heart strings like all of his other books. If you havent read a Charles Martin novel yet this is a great one to start with!
on June 10, 2016
It has been a very long time since I have felt compelled to write a review on a book I have read. This book was a terrific read. Wonderfully written and engaging from the start. I'm not going to go into the storyline, that is already available in the description. What I will tell you is that I had a difficult time setting it aside when I needed to be doing other things. I often found myself reading bits and pieces to my husband who became just as enthralled with the story as I was. I will say that it is amazing what the human heart and spirit can endure. I am so glad I bought this book and I think it will be on my mind for sometime to come.
on June 11, 2016
Charles Martin did it again! This book is filled with passion. Deep beautiful and unrelenting passion. The story of Ben & Rachel is told from Ben's POV. Very powerful, very insightful, and very much in love. Ben & Ashley's journey is also just as moving. Even in the midst of physical and emotional pain, they kept on going, not knowing what lay before them. Love is more than just "I Love You" and this book emphasizes that.
on June 20, 2016
In this book, author Martin blends a beautifully written love story, into a high-intensity aircraft-disaster story, and the result is a novel that is, both, deeply moving, but also gut-wrenching and highly-suspenseful.
I've read Charles Martin's "Wrapped in Rain," and his "When Crickets Cry," thinking that, surely, his books can't get any better, but I've been proven wrong, as this is another 5-Star read and not to be missed if you enjoy fiction written by a master story writer.
on December 3, 2010
Last night I sat with expectation, staring at the cover of The Mountain Between Us. My plan was to read for just a couple of hours. At 3 am., I finished the last word. I'd laughed and cried, sat tensely through whole episodes, determined not to look ahead, not to spoil it by cheating. At times, I found truths about me, my life, staring me in the face and I asked myself, "How could Mr. Martin know this about me?"

Charles Martin has created a sensitive, emotional journey with all the hallmarks of a romance but strengthened with masculine requisites to protect, endure, survive. A survival story at its core, both of nature and of love.

This is the second Martin novel I've read, and it won't be the last. I have found a new favorite author and can't wait to read all his work.

All right guys, pick this one up and read. Bone up not only on your own survival skills, but also those of communication, with your heart, with those you love. This book is not just for women. It's for you, too.
on May 30, 2015
Charles Martin's books are always morality stories and are deeply moving stories of the interactions of real people. I think this is one of my favorites. The two main characters end up on a small plane trying to get out of the Salt Lake City airport before it closes due to a major storm. The plane crashes in the middle of a wilderness - and the crash was managhed by the pilot who has a heart attack and dies but manages to not plow the plane directly into the mountain so the man and woman live. She has a very broken leg; they have little food or shelter and they have no way of contacting anyone as cell service doesn't work. The creative ways that they work out to get by and to move toward somewhere to get out of the mountain wilderness and the relationship the develop is very well developed. I really enjoyed it - it was a focused 1.5 day read.
on May 27, 2015
The Mountain Between Us was a gripping tale of survival of a man and a woman in the High Uintas Wilderness of the Wasatch Mountains of Utah. Their struggle to survive all of nature's relentless challenges bonds them together and also causes them to reexamine their personal lives. At times, the plot becomes a bit tedious, but the storyline leads to an amazing, haunting, and unforgettable conclusion. The title of Charles Martin's novel serves as a metaphor on several levels throughout the book eventually providing the personal growth needed for his characters to move forward in their lives. The story is from a tormented man's perspective and all the better because of that. Ben's determination to save Ashley has everything to do with his love for his wife, Rachel. This is a memorable love story, as well as an unbelievable tale of man versus nature.
on January 19, 2015
Wonderful story. I couldn't put it down. I read the book on one day. That's NEVER been done before, a first for me. I would recommend this to everyone. Fantastic story of love and courage. Looking forward to the movie.