Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on May 23, 2012
Pros:
Supports DLNA
Two HDMI inputs
WiFi Built in
Excellent sound
Web browser
Comes with IPOD dock
12 month warranty

Cons
Easy for apps to run out of memory and no way to add memory
Could not get ARC (Audio Return Channel) to work with my TV
High Def streams sometimes buffer
No Amazon app (I knew this before I placed my order)

Let me start by saying that I am very happy with my Samsung home theater and have no intentions of returning it. I had an older Panasonic system that I had been very happy with but it was starting to give me a few issues and it was time to move to something that would work with all of today's technology. I purchased this via Amazon about 3 weeks ago, outstanding delivery. The owners manual is 64 pages and actually pretty good, there are lots of things you can do or configure on this unit so reading the manual was very valuable for me. I removed the unit from the box and began setting it up, took a bit due to speaker placement/wiring. The speaker wires provided are quite long and do have special connectors that plug into the system, I did need to lengthen one and I simply added speaker wire to the end of the wire, each wire is nicely color coded on both ends so you know where to plug it into the system and which speaker it goes to. When I had the speakers, TV and my Satellite radio connected I powered up the system, a very simple to follow configuration screen appeared and I simply followed the steps to configure things like my network settings, TV aspect ratio, etc., somewhere in doing this it checked for the latest firmware and indicated a new version was available, I went ahead and let it install it. After it rebooted itself I believe it walked me through the setup again. After this a nice menu displayed on the TV, I won't go into all the details about the menu but this is where you can select things like: Smart Hub (apps), AllShare (Play videos, photos or music from discs, USB, or you computer via DLNA), Change input (Aux, HDMI, Tuner, etc.) and get to the settings.

Smart Hub is a bit slow to load but has a quite a number of applications like Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, You Tube, already loaded and there are quite a number that you can add yourself, this is where one of the issues arrive. Most of the applications loaded by Samsung cannot be removed and depending on what applications you want to install you can quickly run out of memory, simply installing the Fitness piece will all but run you out of memory and there is no way to add memory, if you could use the USB input to add memory that would be a great help. I use the VTuner app to listen to online radio, works very well. I also like the Pandora app however it is a bit slow, takes 20-30 seconds to move from one song to another, it is also easier to configure your Pandora stations via a computer and the internet, changes made via the computer take effect immediately on the Samsung, very cool. Watching online videos normally works well but if you are watching a high def stream you might have some buffering (this is not normally a problem with my computer). I have not tested Hulu or Netflix since I do not have accounts with them. My testing has mostly been done with You Tube and Vimeo.

Allshare is used to access your videos, music and photos, you can access information stored on discs (CD/DVD), IPOD, USB, camera or your computer (via DLNA). If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 they have DLNA built in and if you have it configured correctly the Samsung will access them and you can view/play all of the media you have stored on your computer. Samsung also provides downloadable Allshare software which you can install on your computer that will also allow this access. I setup both and played with them, of the two I prefer Samsung AllShare but I did have some troubles getting it to recognize changes made to my media library. I have now installed and use Serviio which is a free DLNA server. I love being able to play all of my music and photos via the Samsung, very, very, cool.

The other units in this price point did not offer HDMI inputs. I stream Amazon instant videos to my TV via my PC and HDMI. I now plug the HDMI cable from my PC directly into my Samsung and let it feed the video to my TV, this allows me to have much better sound than using my TV speakers. I am sure that in the future I will have other devices that use HDMI that I will be able to plug directly into the Samsung.

This unit does an excellent job of playing DVD's, CD's and USB devices, the sound is incredible and can be configured in many different ways, you can also adjust the level of each speaker individually, this works very well, I was able to increase the output of only the rear speakers which really helped with the sound effects on DVD's. The sub woofer is adequate and there is a dedicated button on the remote to adjust it. I did not own any BlueRay DVD's so I purchased The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to try it out, looked and sounded excellent but then again so do my other DVD's.

Web browser is a bit kludgy, can't think of much reason to use it but if you are going to I would suggest attaching a wireless keyboard and mouse via the USB port. I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse unit and they work fine, also helps with some of the other applications. According to the documentation a wired keyboard will NOT work.

Remote control is pretty good, it would be better if it had back lighting. It does have dedicated buttons for Netflix and Pandora. One annoying thing is the remote is shaped the same at the top and bottom, in the dark it is very easy to have it upside down and be trying to change to volume with the wrong button.

Technical support seems to be iffy. I called about the buffering issue with online videos, they opened a problem report and 24 hours later someone called back, his english was quite good and he tried to help by having me reset the unit which also meant I had to go through the setup again, he stayed on the line while I did this, this did not help. He then said it was my router, I explained that I had the router out of the line and was plugged directly into my modem, he then said it was my ISP, I explained I did not believe that to be true since my computers normally don't have this issue. He said that if the ISP could not solve the issue my only other choice would be to send the unit in for repair. I believe this issue has something to do with their implementation of the streaming applications and I will simply live with it, I have very little need to watch streaming videos via the unit. I would love to know if it works for folks using Hulu or Netflix.

Once again let me state that I am very happy with my Samsung HT-E5400 Home Theater System
on September 15, 2013
When I first purchased this product, I was so impressed I bragged about it and encouraged everyone who saw my home theatre to invest in a Samsung E5400. And a couple people did. Now I have to eat my words.

Fourteen months later--two months after the warranty expired--my Blu-ray player went haywire. It began randomly switching inputs with no explanation. I consulted with a Samsung tech on the Cnet forum with no luck. I consulted with online live Samsung techs with no luck. I had to call in three times and speak with live people but with no luck. No amount of cleaning the front, unplugging/replugging, hard resets, etc., could fix the problem. And I was told I have to send it in for an $80.00 repair service. But Samsung will only warranty the repair for 30 days.

I am not the only person with these problems. Search "Samsung Blu-ray player switches inputs" and you will find several online posts. At least one person had to replace the motherboard under warranty only for it to die again after the warranty had expired.

I am stuck with the product and I am stuck paying the $80 because I have run the wires for the Samsung specific speakers through my walls, which only hook up to a Samsung receiver. But you do not have to. I recommend you walk away before you invest the $350 price tag and find yourself throwing your remote across the room right after the warranty has expired.

Buyer beware!
1010 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2012
I got this yesterday (6-5-2012) and was able to get it hooked up easy. the rear cables are just long enough for the rear speakers. front, center and woofer have plenty of wire. i have nothing but samsung tv's so the remote replaced my tv remote out of the box no programing. if you use a optical cable it know's to use that for the audio without any setting changes by you either. less work from me is always better. the wireless is good too. I've streamed movies from my computer and that was simple through the hub menu. over all I'm glad i bought this and think that if you own a samsung tv have a wireless network in your home and want a theater system that sounds nice buy it. also it add's 2 hdmi imputs to your set up, if you need that.
on August 16, 2012
The sound from this system is wonderful. I purchased this unit after spending a considerable amount of time reading reviews on just about all of the availabe 3d home theater systems. The 3d is simply fantastic.... crystal clear and on par with any movie theater. IMAX movies look like you could step into the screen and join the actors. I could not be more pleased with this purchase. By the way, it takes a little timt to learn how to use it but very well worth the effort...
on August 21, 2012
I bought this system in conjunction with a new LG 3d LED tv (bit of a spending binge). My existing system was a Yamaha 6.1 A/V receiver with Paradigm speakers that I paid ALOT for about 12 years ago. This system is simple to set up- speaker wires are color coded and def long enough. The Samsung sounds better, crisper and has sick amounts of new technology right out of the box. IPOD dock is a huge plus; just use your remote to drive the menu. I haven't used any of the online features as of yet but am looking forward to it. Btw; my hook-up; 1 HDMI to the tv and a fiber optic wire from Directv box to Samsung. For the price...ridiculous.
on December 17, 2012
Digital audio-in did not work on the first unit I received. Contacted Samsung by phone. After performing all their diagnostic procedures, they agreed that the unit did not work properly. They then wanted me to see if my TV had ARC to do "a work around" the problem so I could keep the unit. When I told them I just bought the unit, they wanted me to send it to them for repair. I told them no thanks. Amazon was great about the problem. Returned the old unit and got the new fully working unit today.
As for the features of the unit, there are a few features that could be better. First, the speaker wires are too short. This unit is in my study 18'x 15' and they will not reach. I had to add wire from the unit I was replacing. Second, the speaker wire connectors that plug into the player do not fit tight. They are lose and fall out if touched. Third, the unit does not have pass through. It must be on an running for a signal to go through. I would not mind but the unit has a fan and it runs all the time blowing out hot air.
Having two HDMI inputs is nice.
Update: unit still working with great sound.
Discovered that there is no way to plug in headphones. My old unit had a mini jack plug that I could use for those late night video game battles.
on July 13, 2014
Don't Buy

We don't use this player very much, so when last we tried, and it went "wacked" out, I had to look things up.

Though this is not me, my situation is EXACTLY the same.
[...]
It randomly opens/closes, even when there is no disc in. This makes it impossible to use it. I can't listen to Pandora, use NetFlix, or do ANYTHING. This is because if I'm doing anything, the opening/closing stops whatever it is that I was doing and won't let me do anything else.

I called Samsung support and they told me to "unplug" and "replug". Then they updated the firmware. Still, it's opening/closing on it's own.

All in all, we've probably only used the DVD play like 15 times.

I know others have had this issue.
on November 28, 2015
Bought from Amazon, lasted a couple years, then began ejecting the disc tray randomly. Impossible to use now because it will exit your current mode to eject the disc tray. I have contacted customer service online numerous times with no luck. Hard resets, unplugging, changing settings, WASTED TIME!!!! Google - "Samsung 5400 disc tray ejection". I took mine in the garage and smashed it with a hammer, that was the most fun I had with it in 3 months! You will be sorry if you buy this product!!
on March 22, 2013
1. Samsung no longer manufactures the wireless cards that would allow the rear speakers to perform wirelessly, instead one must run the wires.
2. The unit only uses all 6 speakers when the DVD or Netflix audio is mixed in 5.1 surround, otherwise is just uses the 2 front speakers (stereo sound). HOWEVER, one can use the remote to enable Dolby ProLogic II which allows the receiver to simulate 5.1 surround audio from a 2-channel (stereo) mix. Instructions are on page 48-49 of the manual.
on January 17, 2013
I am pleased with this purchase. Connecting all the speakers to the system was a breeze. Getting the correct cables for hooking up my tv and cable box was more challenging as its not as clear what you will really need to buy. I am still having trouble utilizing the app section but I was able to get it to work with the tv and am SO glad I made this purchase.