on July 30, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought this to use with my ivy bridge hackintosh running Mac OSX 10.7.4 . Works perfectly, just plugged it in, no drivers or configuration needed. Couldn't be simpler, signal with my airport extreme seems good!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 19, 2012
Easy to install
Blazing Fast Wireless Connection
Getting 97% reception through 2 walls and about 40ft from my Asus Dark Knight U66 at 5Ghz and 450mbps. vs. about 46% with my previous G class wireless card
Dramatically increased my upload ability with utorrent (partially due to the Dark Knight Upgrade above, which also comes highly recommended)
Great price for the performance
Triple Antenna Setup is great for the reception
Really can't go wrong with this card assuming you have the router to take advantage of the bandwidth this card offers, otherwise might look into a cheaper card that suits your router, however i haven't tested this card myself with an older router to see if it makes much difference.
on November 30, 2012
I'm using the TP-Link WDN4800 under Ubuntu 11.04. The adapter was recognized immediately by the OS, and a wireless connection was established. However, the connection speed was very slow, usually about 2Mbps, as measured on [...].

(The other pieces of connectivity are CableOne 50Mbps service, a Motorola Surfboard SB6210 cable modem, and a Asus RT-N12B1 b/g/n wireless router. The PC I'm testing is not very close to the wireless access point; Ubuntu reports link quality at 52/70.)

But it turns out there is a fix. In a terminal window, type:
sudo -s gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
This will open the ath9k.conf file; in my installation, there was no such file, so a new one was created. Add the following line:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
Save the file and reboot.

Averaging five tests, my wireless connection speed increased to 17Mbps, a substantial improvement. For comparison, a wired Ethernet connection averaged about 38Mbps. I'm inclined to think your result with the WDN4800 might be a bit better with a stronger wireless signal.

UPDATE January 4 2013: I've had problems with very large downloads -- the connection drops. I discovered this downloading Ubuntu ISO images. The problem doesn't occur using hard-wired Ethernet, so I assume it's the WDN4800.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2012
I have a dual-band router and wanted to put my favorite Linux PC on the 5GHz channel. I swapped in this new card and rebooted and it came up immediately. This device uses the "ath9k" driver which has been included in the Linux kernel for a long time. I'm running kernel 3.2.29 and I had no problem connecting to the 5GHz channel. By default my router used the same SSID for both channels and when I connected with this card initially the connection was on the 2.4GHz channel. I had to change the SSID of the 5GHz channel to be different from the 2.4GHz channel and then it connected to the 5GHz channel no problem.

Not only was the setup surprisingly easy, the connection is FAST!!! It is shockingly faster than the 2.4GHz adapter I was using previously.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This little guy works great and is super easy to install. The card is super small and does not take up much room in your computer case, it comes preconnected to the full plate and also includes a small plate for small factor PCs (I used the full plate since I have a full size case for my desktop). The board installed easily and installed easily. I am using Windows 7 Professional (x86) and was able to install the software easily. I will note that Windows Update could not automatically find a driver for this, so you will have to use the CD or download. The install program is nice and gave me the option to install just the driver or there config utility as well (I do not want third party software on my machine just to make this work, so I chose Driver Only [some do not give this option and you have to dig through the archive to find just the driver file to get it installed without the utilities]). The drivers installed fast and I was able to use Windows Network Manager to connect to the Wireless network (could see my Wireless N at 5.0GHz and my Wireless G at 2.4GHz). I connected and experience great quality and fast speeds, no drops or any problems. It works great!!!

In the end this was easy to install and works great! I easily got the software installed and the small factor made this fit easily in the computer with no issues from other cards. I highly recommend for anyone needing a nice wireless adapter in a desktop!!!

Just to note, the CD included is a mini CD, I personally do not like these, however, my desktop has a normal drive that sticks out and you just sit the CD on it, however, some of my devices have the CD drives that suck it in. I do not trust mini CDs inside of these drives. However, on the TP-LINK website you can download the drivers with ease, so there is no problem for this item. -- Just FYI, in case you share my fear of mini CDs.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2012
Unboxing: Done
Hardware Installation: Done
Software Installation: Done
Green Light on the PCI Adapter: Check
5 GHz Network Recognition: Check
More bars on 2.4 GHz Channel: Check

But, for some darn reason, my PC just wouldn't connect to the 5GHz network. So, here is what I did (for reference, the router used is Linksys WRT610N which is 5GHz capable):

Log into the Linksys Router Settings.
Go to Basic Wireless Settings.
On the 5GHz Network, change the Network Mode to A-Only.
Try connecting to the 5GHz channel now.

Connection improvement is now awesome. For some reason, the built-in adapter on my desktop would only get me two bars on my 2.4GHz network (it wasn't 5GHz capable). I had set my channel to 11, moved my PC such that it was separated from the router by only a small wall, but no luck. Now, I am seeing networks that I didn't even know existed.

Side Note: Installation on a HP Pavilion was a bit painful. The Adapter is placed awkwardly as I type.
on March 25, 2015
Verified Purchase
Do not buy this product its the 2nd tp link product i have had trouble with this card constantly looses internet connection wile connected to my asus router and i have verified it is the card not my router and this thing only works with the 2.4 ghz (when it did work) connection you switch it to 5ghz and it throttles down your internet speed to were it is downloading in 50 bytes (again it was not my router) or less it was a complete wast of money ....... anyone who took the time to read this review i just bought a Rosewill N600PCE card for 19 dollars and has fixed all of my problems plus with the Rosewill i am getting a better signal and it has a multimedia/gaming setting in the advanced options .... you will have to manually enable it .... so save yourself some money and go with another brand
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this to enable me to connect an older PC in the studio to my network wirelessly. I had just upgraded to Windows 8 and so came across my first problem almost immediately: I followed the printed instructions and after installing the card (which was simple) and attaching the three antenna, I inserted the CD and ran setup. Unfortunately, my computer told me that I did not have a compatible version of Windows.

I looked in the taskbar and noticed the wireless logo and a small window popped up in Windows 8 telling me the computer found wireless networks and did I want to connect to one.
So Windows 8 already has a driver for this wireless card built in.

I connected to my router with the security code that is printed on the label on the back of my router and at first it seemed to work but then I got a message informing me that I had a poor connection.

At this point I decided to plug in the wired network cable and check out the manufacturer's web site. They had Windows 8 drivers on there and after I installed them the wireless card worked flawlessly.

So some teething problems with the new Operating System and especially with the instructions but the product itself works quite well. I can access the computer and print from it over the wifi network all the way over in the garage; I can access the internet from the garage and print from the heavy duty printer that weighs a massive 80lbs using any computer in the house.

Despite the niggles it's a good network card. I was tempted to give it three stars but it is a good product and works well--once you get past the teething issues with the operating system and the instructions.

UPDATE: I also got the chance to try the N 300 which is the baby version of the N 900. The biggest differences between the two is that it has two antennae rather than three and, as a result, the bandwidth could be a bit slower because while the N300 uses the standard 2.4ghz frequency that all the other wireless stuff in your house uses like cordless phones so there is the potential for interference though I didn't notice anything. It's still easy to install and is fine for streaming media from our media hub.

The other thing is that if you're putting it into a modern PC, make sure your PC has a spare PCI slot because PCI is almost completely superseded by PCI express now. I ended up swapping out the N900 PCI express wifi card from my other computer because this one had a PCI soundcard already installed, using up the single internal PCI slot. In the end this worked out better for me because the N900 is in my older computer which is mostly used for accessing media and printing.

So, on the whole, I recommend both products.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Absolutely one of the best wireless cards Ive used. Synchs right up with DOCSIS 3.0 Zero interference from phones at 2.4GHz, pumps solid 54MB/s, as fast as my wired connection (53 down 5 up).

Pringles can amplifies it about 2dB, but havent really tested direction with a can on top.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I liked this product so much that I bought two more!
Very easy installation. Excellent strength. Compatible with everything else I've thrown at it (Linksys, D-Link, Actiontec, etc). I can't find a single thing I would change about this product. If you have a desktop that needs to be upgraded with a wireless adapter, this is the one I recommend.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations