Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's weird that they have no price for this here yet. First time I've ever seen that on a food item. Are they hoping to get some good reviews via Vine and then price it crazy high?

Well, not from this food lover. If this cost 15 delivered, it might be an okay value. 20, meh. 25 or more, no way.

Here's why: the food is simply not that good. It's all snacks, and they come in that faux-fancy packaging favored by boutique hotels and first class airline hostesses, the kind of gilt-edged gold-embossed wrapper that says, "Hey, you've made it! You don't need to worry about price anymore, so just eat the half ounce of mediocre snack food herein and rest assured that it must be really good, even if it tastes barely above average."

The only exceptional flavor here was in the shortbread cookies, and even those are no better than Walker's, if that. Everything else had the fancy name and package and trendy ingredients (truffle oil on popcorn?) but none of the exceptional quality those things should signify. All they really signify is marketing, frankly.

And that's what this basket is: marketing. It's about marketing yourself to others by sending a very-likely-overpriced gift basket that looks great (it really is a nice little basket, with a "hand-wrapped bow"...come on, they really had to mention that? I don't know, sometimes a good robot-wrapped bow is what I really need) and signifies success and care, but is actually just a big piece of mid-level quality merchandizing.

But then this is exactly the sort of thing that mega-corporations send out a thousand of at Xmas and write off on those taxes they never pay, so who cares about actual content and quality? It's appearance that matters! And this does look mighty fine, and if you eat the stuff without thinking much, it's all pretty good, especially when free.

But, truth be told, almost all of this food is a rip-off, wasting tons of packaging on a couple bites of merely fair chow. Lots of sizzle, not much taste.

Want to show your friends you care? Pick one truly great gourmet food item and send it to them. It'll be way cheaper and way better than this.

And hey, let's see a price next time before we have to rate something for those who WILL be paying for it. Just because I got it for free doesn't mean I'm going to be your shill. I shop here too! And that means I want all the facts, not just the promise of goodness wrapped up in a little bow. Even if it is hand-tied.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Without a price for this basket it's really hard to judge if it is worth the cost. The popcorn and chips are single servings and the butter cookies are labelled as three servings (10 cookies). The rest are two servings per box. With the exception of the butter cookies and popcorn the snacks were not very good.

I wouldn't pay more than $15 for this basket. The amount of snacks you get and the quality of them is not worth much more than that.
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you want a variety of items then look no further than this basket. The Snack Attack Basket offers a variety of treats including popcorn, snack mix, olive oil chips, sourdough nuggets, butter cookies, cranberry mix, and cheese straws. The portion sizes of these snacks are a little on the small side but depending on price (no price yet on amazon) it may be worth it if you like the variety of snacks. The basket itself is beautiful and I have found several uses for it.

Now on to the things I didn't like which is why I gave it three stars. I didn't really care for the variety of snacks that was in the basket. The only things that really stood out to me was the butter cookies, popcorn, and the cheese straws. All the other items were bland or didn't taste good. I also didn't care for the sizes of the packages. They were a little on the small side to be able to share with more than two people at most. I know that there is a weight on the snack attack basket of 10.2 ounces but when you open the packages of items and most are only half full it is disappointing.

If you are looking for a small variety of items in a lovely basket then you may really enjoy this. Buy one and try it for yourself.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The popcorn was outstanding, but that was the high point of the basket. Now, don't get me wrong. I like salty snacks, but some of this stuff seemed more tasteless than tasteful. The cheese straws, which didn't look like straws and didn't take like cheese, was interesting. The sourdough nuggets had me confused until I remembered that, duh, they were like pretzels, man.

This basket (and maybe the basket is the best thing about it) is for a more upscale taster. Yes, it'll go good with wine, especially a dry red one, but don't get it just for snacks.
on April 26, 2013
I paid 6.99 for this basket a few days before the price went up by $22; I'd say my price was right. I could have gotten almost every one of these items in some iteration from Dollar Tree and maybe in a larger size. One person could get full if they ate everything in the basket at a sitting; two people would just get hungrier. The basket's pretty, though made in China. Would make a nice bread basket. The packaging is gilt-covered, but don't send this as a gift, they'll see right through the pretense. The butter cookies were good, same variety as Dansk in the big blue tin; send that instead.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this basket in the mail to review and every single item tasted delicious! I decided to order another one and have it shipped to a friend. She loved it as well. This would make an awesome Christmas gift.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Food items are always difficult to rate. In my opinion there are two components to rate here. The first is the overall appearance - for that I rate this 5 stars. The products come in a lovely gift basket tied with a beautiful ribbon. The packaging is first rate. Your first impression is that this is a very unique gift basket.

Unfortunately when I started opening the individual items, I found there was a disconnect between the packaging and the contents. Part of that is probably attributable to my taste. For example the popcorn is flavored with black truffle and white cheddar cheese. The taste is totally different than what I had expected or what I was used to. If you are accustomed to this taste, you might rate it much higher than I would. So the taste of some of the items was much different than I expected.

There are seven separate items in the gift basket: 479 Popcorn, Honey Mustard Sourdough nuggets (pretzel nuggets), Cranberry Harvest Medley (cranberries and almonds) Tavolare Savory Snack (Chex Mix), Cheese Straws, Cucina Chips and Sweet Butter Cookies (Danish Butter Cookies).

The serving portions are deceptively small. Based on the packaging, you would think the serving sizes are twice as large as they actually are. The entire contents only weighs 10.5 ounces. I felt like for such an elaborate basket and such wonderful packaging, there would be a bit more actual product.

The packaging makes you think you are dealing with some very unique products. But most of the products can be found in the grocery store. For example I believe most people would have a difficult time telling the difference between the Tavolare Savory Snack and Chex Mix. They look and taste the same. The Sweet Butter Cookies had the same look, taste and texture as the Danish Butter cookies you find in the grocery or drug store.

There is nothing wrong with the taste of the products. The problem is the look of the packaging raises your expectations. I find the disconnect to be a real concern. I believe that most people will really appreciate the appearance of the gift basket and will find the packaging very inviting. The problem is the content is small and does not meet the expectations I had.

So my rating is based on appearance 5, individual packaging 4, actual amount of content 3 and taste of content 2 equals an overall rating of 3.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
You'll want to keep it for yourself!

The moment a person opens the box, the mouth start to water. This impeccably wrapped gift basket is chock-full of delectable snacks. The basket itself is lovely and, once you've devoured the contents, will make a terrific basket for dinner rolls or muffins for a casual brunch or dinner.

The snacks include:

Sourdough Nuggets - This was the best treat in the basket. Crunchy with that great mustardy taste. It gets all over your fingers and, though not so elegant, you'll be tempted to just lick them clean!

Angelina's Sweet Butter Cookies - My second favorite. Remember those big tins of butter cookies they always sell around Christmas time? You'll never buy one again after eating these. You can literally taste the butter in these sweet treats. Yum!

Black Truffle & White Cheddar Popcorn - This is a savory treat that keeps you munching. The flavor was addictive and it wasn't long before the whole package was gone.

Cucina Olive Oil Chips - Delicious, crunchy goodness!

Savory Snack Mix - A fantastic munch!

Cranberry Harvest Medley - Probably the healthiest treat of the bunch. A nice mix of sweet and salty.

Sonoma Cheese Straws - This was my least favorite, though not bad. At first taste, they seem sort of mild, but after a chewing a bit, a very strong flavor hits. I think that this one is more of an acquired taste - I just didn't acquire it.

All in all, this is a gorgeous gift basket - suitable for just about any occasion - and you just may want to keep it for yourself!
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The variety of snacks in this basket is lovely; I appreciate that there's a focus on savory rather than sweet since savory flavors tend to go better with many wines. The highlight of the basket is the cheddar and truffle oil popcorn; I didn't share ANY of that with anyone!

Aside from the popcorn, none of the snacks here are whole grain which isn't a negative, but something to consider for gift-giving if your recipient is a whole grain sort of person.

The presentation here is especially lovely and indeed easy to open which is a good consideration for the elderly or people with disabilities.

I wasn't able to find expiration dates for any of the snacks in the packaging which wasn't a problem since we polished everything off right away, but something to note if you're shopping for a future event.

Overall, this basket was a pleasant picker-upper in my day and the leftover basket is sturdy enough and attractive enough to be given a new storage job on my counter after the snacks were gone!
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this "snack basket" lives up to its name of being packed with snacks that feed 2 (or 3, depending on how much one eats), you do get a nice selection of snacks. You get shortbread cookies; gourmet popcorn for the popcorn lovers; Sourdough Nuggets; a bonus treat of Harvest Medley and aged cheddar cheese straws. As another reviewer on Amazon U.S. noted, you might want a glass of wine with your snacks. I also recommend a small plate of grapes as well.

Snack basket tells it like it is. This little gem would make a good housewarming gift as well as a good gift for one's hosts.