on September 17, 2012
Color Name: Old Silver
I got the waterfi ipod shuffle kit for my birthday, and it has intensely enhanced my swimming experience. I swim laps about 5 times a week for an hour or so, and the product turns the dull exercise into a rejuvenating experience. The ipod can be connected snugly to the back of your goggles and you won't even know it's there. The only potential problem comes from the head phones, which are probably the weakest link in waterproof music. I did plenty of research on a variety of headphones, and it seems they just haven't perfected the technology. The waterfi headphones come with several sizes, so it is easy to fit into your ear. I experience a problem occasionally if there is not enough slack on the wire, which can cause an errant stroke or turn of the head to jostle the ear bud enough to allow a little water to sneak in. Otherwise, excellent product--I thoroughly recommend it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2012
Color Name: Old SilverVerified Purchase
The iPod works great but the headphones started off a bit shaky! I swim 2,500 meters with them doing flip-turns the entire time with almost no problems. It is imperative to read the instructions! All underwater headphones on the market currently have mixed reviews. Use the biggest size ear inserts that will fit comfortably. Take off the plastic ear-wrap-around pieces. Sure you could try to tuck them in your goggles. Although you may think it helps, it doesn't! Cleaning the ear buds with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol before each use helps clean them. I highly recommend the Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle goggles which have an additional strap where you can clip the iPod right on the goggles instead of the Velcro that comes with the iPod. A zip tie is also a much better way to permanently bundle up the slack in the wires. If you follow these instructions and swim laps by turning around at the wall you should have absolutely no problem. If you utilize flip-turns to turn around, due to ear pressurization at times it might sound less clear. But, for the most part it works great.
on October 11, 2012
Color Name: Old SilverVerified Purchase
I am in the military and my job requires me to spend hours a day in the water. I attached the ipod to my dive mask and it works great. I have used the product for long ocean fins and even pool workouts. I have not experienced any malfunctions with the product. Great sound under water.
I do have a couple recommendations for anyone buying this product.

1) organize your music by playlists. Its hard to change tempo of music if it is organized by artist. Maybe use the genius mix.

2) use the biggest attachment possible for the waterproof headphones. It may cause slight pressure but it keeps the water out and keeps the sound quality from being muffled.

3) take your time setting up the heapdhones. It is important to manage the cord properly otgerwose you end up with too much cord hanging and the earplugs will come out or you make it too tight and the earplugs come out. If you have a hard time getting the excess cord managed just leave extra and tuck it under the goggle/mask strap after you have put the headphones in your ears.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2013
5 Stars for the ipod!
3.5 Stars for the Headphones.
1.5 Stars for amazon warehouse/shipping.

[the Amazon warehouse crew sent the non-kit i-pod when I order the kit, refused to admit they sent the wrong thing, I had to send it back, and have a new one sent. This is an issue with Amazon, not the product; I only mention it so that you make sure you get your full order if you order the kit.]

I can't say enough good things about the Waterfi i-pod! It's fantastic, 100% waterproof, easy to use (if you're an i-tunes user or not, it's crazy simple), it attaches easily to your goggles with the clip (headphones via the Velcro), and it's so small/lightweight that you'll forget you're wearing it. Zero issues with drag. Once you get it, press all the buttons a couple times to get it loosened up like it says, and you're good to go. Basically it does what it says it will, and it's awesome at it!

The Kit comes with the i-pod and a decent set of waterproof headphones (X-1 Flex In-Ear Sport Headphones, which sell for ~$18 separately). I had few issues with these. You do need to test out the ear tip sizes, get the best fit, put them on when your head/ears/headphones are totally dry. Like many in-the-ear sport headphones you get a way better fit by pulling up on the top of your ear as you put them in. If you're having issues with them falling out, make sure you have a swim cap which will help ensure they stay in. I had problems getting the angle to wear them at figured out, but after they I almost had zero problems. They do start to feel uncomfortable after 20minutes or so though. The sound is pretty good. They're ok, not great, not wonderful, ok.

BUT! If you swim frequently and/or for long distances (I do ~1hr a day, everyday), you're going to want to consider upgrading. While visiting my mom, her puppy somehow got a hold of and actually destroyed my Flex headphones, so I replaced them with an upgrade to the Surge Mini in-Ear Headphones X-1 (Powered by H2O Audio) SG-MN1-BK Surge Mini Waterproof In-Ear Sport Headphones (Black) which are FAR BETTER than the Flex model included in this kit for a couple reasons, including a better-fit, no falling out whatsoever, crazy comfortable, and significantly better sound (it's kind of astonishing how good they are underwater, Jay-Z or Bach your ears with be happy. You can check out my more detailed review of the Surge Mini headphones here [http://www.amazon.com/review/R13N9HMAIHDOBN]. In it I tried to explain how/why they were better.
At first I really thought most waterproof headphones would be the same, and I didn't want to spend $40+ on headphones I'd most likely use just for swimming, but you can really tell the difference, the Surge Minis prove worthy of their cost, and are great out of the water also.

I'd think about what kind of headphones you want before buying the kit, you can buy the i-pod and/or headphones separately, which is what I would recommend doing.

The waterfi i-pod is really what you should purchase when considering a waterproof device, it lives up to the hype! Way to go Waterfi, Thanks for make such a fantastic waterproofing/product!

Last note: if you're looking for a case, which I absolutely recommend (esp if you own a puppy), this is the one I bought and I'm happy with it: CASEBUDi - Small case for your Earbuds, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPhone Charger, Coins, or small Bluetooth headset-Black

UPDATE: It was Amazing for the first 3 weeks! then... all the buttons except for the on/off switch stopped working, i.e. can't switch songs, can't change the volume. Amazon was totally great, but I can only return not replace it since the one I ordered is out of stock. Am I crazy bummed and a bit wary of waterfi, absolutely. Am I going to buy another device and hope I don't encounter any problems, yes. After this though, I honestly don't know how to rate this item...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2013
Color Name: GreenVerified Purchase
Unit arrived with issues.

Received on Friday and spent several hours trying to get it to sync with iTunes. It issued a grease-like substance and ceased to be recognized by the computer. I read multiple reviews and watched unhelpful videos from the manufacturer to no avail. Hey, it's technology and blips sometimes happen, right? But, was very concerned when I found that WaterFi's website clearly states that they reserve the right to replace returns with a refurbished unit.

I called on Monday, and an individual named Parker told me that he was sorry that I had issues with the unit. To resolve, he would send me an e-mail with return instructions, and that I should not be concerned about receiving a receiving a refurbished unit.

I waited a week for the e-mail which never arrived. I had to follow up, but this time I did in writing through the WaterFi customer service e-mail. Incredibly disappointing exchange.

I sent an e-mail first am stating that, after a week, I never received the return information e-mail. Seven hours later, I received a response. It was a canned response that did not acknowledge that they did not follow through on the original commitment to send me the return information. Instead, there was a broken link to a document that I was supposed to fill out. I had to send another e-mail which was returned specifying the information that I needed to provide in order to process the return.

This is the interesting part. I was instructed to return the unit to them – “…wrapped… in bubble wrap and mailed back… with freight mail (most inexpensive).” So, seemingly at my expense.

I replied back asking if I was interpreting this correctly. And he confirmed, 22 hours later, that, yes, it was at my expense, but that “it’s really light weight, though, so it shouldn't cost more than $1.60 or so.”

What a deal! Only $1.60 out of my own pocket, plus the cost of a bubble wrap, bubble envelope or box, and the best part, the time going to and hanging out in line at the Post Office to return a brand new piece of equipment that was DOA. As having to pay for the return shipment was not preposterous enough, given their superior commitment to customer service, they thought that I would send a $150 piece of equipment via freight mail – without any tracking? I can only imagine how delightful those exchanges would be when the unit didn’t arrive.

Well, I learned my lesson, don’t give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt. In five minutes, I processed the return through Amazon (with a tracked UPS pickup scheduled at my house the next day, with no out of pocket cost to me) and ordered a new unit – FROM THEIR COMPETITIOR that arrived the next day. Thanks Prime!

I informed WaterFi how disappointed I was in the process and the steps that I took to rectify the issue in a viable manner. I never heard back.

Working on setting up my new unit from UnderWater Audio tonight. Will be certain to provide a review.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2014
Color Name: Green
Headphones are flimsy, so when they stopped working 2 weeks after they arrived, I wasn't really surprised. I wrote an angry review here, and support jumped in immediately asking me to shoot them an email to sort it out. I did that and I also amended my review giving a better score for being so quick. But support didn't answer. I guess, they didn't care as long the score is ok.
So now, 2 weeks later. I'm changing it back to 1. This is not a good product and this is not how you deal with the consequences of offering an inferior product.

iPod works, although play/pause often require extra pressure, but that's probably just the result of Waterfi's innovations.

As for the headphones, I bought swimbuds instead. They have their issues too, but it's like complaining about speed of windshield wipers on a new Ford Focus after trying to drive a 1980 Datsun that breaks down every 5 minutes.

Bottomline: iPod will work, but you can throw away the headphones as soon as you get them. No need to unpack, just throw them away and order a pair of decent headphones.
on April 19, 2014
Color Name: BlueVerified Purchase
The earplugs stopped working after 2 weeks. I believe a product with such a short useful life can be characterized as fraud.
on February 2, 2014
Color Name: Space GreyVerified Purchase
I thought these were the neatest idea so I bought them for a birthday gift a few months in advance. When the recipient opened it, the product was completely defective and would not play at all. The button could not even be depressed. $150 down the drain. Sorely dissatisfied. The manufacturer obviously took an Apple ipod Shuffle and waterproofed it by putting black glue all over it. It hardly made it out of the package, much less into the water. Caution is advised when deciding to purchase this and please check the item for effectiveness immediately.
on July 18, 2013
Color Name: Space GreyVerified Purchase
Sound is bad and earplugs keep falling off. Biggest issue is sound

Apple works as it should and water tight
on October 24, 2013
Color Name: Space GreyVerified Purchase
I bought this kit to save me from the boredom of daily hour-plus swim workouts while I was forced to stop running due to injury. The shuffle part of the kit works great. The headphones are completely worthless. No matter what size buds I use, I can never get sound on both sides, and the slightest shift of my swim cap causes the sound to go out. I spend 10-15 minutes just trying to get decent sound anytime I try to use it and usually end up tossing the shuffle aside in frustration. So now I have a waterproof shuffle for running that cost three times what an ordinary shuffle would cost, and I'm still stuck doing boring, silent pool workouts. Double fail.

Update: I wrote to Waterfi to express my dissatisfaction, and they offered to send me a new pair of headphones. Here's how the test swim went:

0-150 yards: No problems. Pretty good sound on both sides.
@150 yards: Stop to adjust earbuds due to sound cutting in and out.
@350 yards: Stop again to adjust.
@600 yards: Stop again to adjust.
@1150 yards: Sound goes out on left side.
@1200 yards: Sound goes out on right side. Unit comes off and goes back in my gym bag.
1201-3600 yards: Silence.

I appreciate Waterfi sending the new headphones, so four stars for customer service (a five-star company would guarantee their product with an unconditional refund). Zero stars for selling a terrible product.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations