VINE VOICEon June 27, 2012
Size Name: 120 GBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This SSD kit is excellent. It comes with everything you need to upgrade a computer to SSD. In addition to the extremely fast 2.5" SSD drive, there is a USB HDD enclosure to help with the data migration, a mounting bracket in case you need to fit a 3.5" drive bay, the USB and SATA cables, the software, and even a nice screw driver with multiple tips for installation.

I initially installed this drive on an older laptop running Windows XP. The installation was very easy. First I took out the old laptop hard disk and put it into the supplied USB enclosure. Next I installed the new SSD into the laptop computer. For the third step, I connected the USB enclosure with the old drive in it to the computer's USB port. After that, I turn on the computer and put the supplied software CD into the laptop's DVD-ROM drive. The computer booted up from the CD and launched the disk cloning program. Following the on-screen instructions the entire old hard disk was cloned to the new SSD. When the disk cloning was done, I took out the CD and disconnected the USB enclosure with the old HDD. The computer was rebooted and everything worked fine off the new SSD. For most users running Windows XP, vista or 7, this would be the easy steps to upgrade and the smooth experience to expect.

Over the weekend I decided that it would be a better use of this drive if I put it into another laptop computer that runs Ubuntu Linux. (Samsung RC512-A01 similar to Samsung RC512-S01 Core i7-2630M 2GHz 6GB 750GB DVD±RW NVIDIA Optimus 15.3" LED Notebook Windows 7 Home Premium w/Webcam, 4G WiMAX & 6-Cell). I am working on some project that requires compiling large software packages. I guessed that the faster SSD drive might speed up the compiler so off I went to move the SSD to this Linux computer. I took out the SSD from the Windows XP computer and put back the original HDD. For the Linux computer, I decided to do a fresh installation as I doubt the Acronis disk cloning software would support my version of Linux. After installing the SSD into the Samsung laptop computer, I ran Ubuntu Linux installation from a Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS i386 CD (I need this specific version although it is an older release). There was no surprise. The SSD was properly identified as KINGSTON SH103S3120G device /dev/sda. The SSD was partitioned and the Linux system was installed. The supplied USB HDD enclosure became handy again. I put the old HDD into the enclosure and connected it to the computer. It was a breeze to copy my data and project files over to the newly installed SSD. The SSD was indeed faster - compiling time was reduced from about 10 minutes to slightly over 8 minutes. System monitor indicated that all 8 cores of the Intel Core i7 CPU were pushed to 100% utilization when the compiler was running. This is simply amazing!

My experience using this SSD on both Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux is very positive. For anyone looking for a bit more performance out of his/her system, Windows or Linux, this is the drive to upgrade.
on May 12, 2012
Size Name: 240 GBVerified Purchase
I bought the Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB a while ago to replace the HDD in my late 2009 iMac 21.5". The drive isn't only SATA III compatible, but compatible with SATA II as well. Even with SATA II connection, it is still lightning fast. I have no complaints about the SSD itself, but if you are going to install it into an iMac, it will not fit in the HDD bay the same as a 3.5" HHD will. The SSD comes with a mounting bracket that is suppose to span the same dimensions that the 3.5" HDD does, but in reality, it won't in an iMac. If you are looking at putting the SSD into a Mac that is newer than 2009, take note of the S.M.A.R.T. temperature sensor that is built into the old HDD. This SSD comes with S.M.A.R.T. technology built in but it doesn't communicate with the Mac very well. The Mac will tell the temperature of the drive but will not adjust the fans accordingly. This is not due to the Kingston SSD, but apple itself. Apple only wants you to install their SSD Drives to get the complete compatibility. To correct for the fans kicking on to full blast 24/7, install SSD Fan Control and set the fan RPMs to the minimum speed for the HDD bay only.

Also, Kingston ships the drive with trim support so that the life of the drive is at its maximum through monitored wear. Apple computers will not recognize the trim support for the Kingston SSD so if you are installing it in a Mac, download SSD Trim Enabler and that should fix that problem. If you are installing it into an Apple computer, you are going to need to reformat it to be compatible to the OS.
For the Windows Users, I think that windows will allow you to pop the SSD drive in and load the OS on it with no reformatting of the drive itself. I suggest making sure that the SSD has trim enabled in your OS as well to prolong the life of the drive. This is a very fast SSD and I have had not one problem with the drive itself. The Kit comes with everything you will ever need for installing it in your computer and even comes with software to transfer everything from the old hard drive to the new SSD. If you are looking at putting it in an Apple computer, I will provide the links below to help out the installation process. If you have any questions iFixit.com should be able to help with the installation process. Overall, I would have to say that this is probably the best SSD I have owned.

SSD Fan Control: [...]

Trim Enabler: [...]
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 120 GBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this on a whim without doing any real research because I'd heard SSDs would make a system scream. I hoped I could replace the original hard drive in my Acer Aspire One 722 series netbook to speed it up. In retrospect that's kind of stupid - just hoping isn't much of a plan - but this worked so well and installed so easily that it's almost as if it were made specifically for my netbook. Your mileage may vary but I am pretty impressed. Disclaimer: this is my first SSD so I may be more easily impressed than folks with more experience.

Also, I am replacing an existing 2.5" drive in a netbook with the Kingston 2.5" drive, so this describes my experience doing that. You might be adding the Kingston as a second or third drive in a desktop, or setting up the Kingston as an external storage device, or something else. These are things I did not attempt, so my experience may not be applicable to your situation.

My Acer had a 220GB hard drive with about 60GB used and Win 7 64 Home Premium installed. I got the 120GB version of the Kingston drive. The instructions say that the used space on your old drive should be no more than 85% of the space on the SSD (in the event you are replacing your hard drive with the SSD, which I was), so the 120GB SSD capacity was more than adequate for me. If you're looking at replacing a drive, be sure you have at least 15% headroom in the new drive vs. what was used on the drive you want to replace.

Before I did anything I ran CCleaner to clean off extraneous junk, did a defrag (didn't need to), got a full image backup of the original hard drive and made a fresh recovery DVD. (You need an optical drive, preferably a DVD R/W in this day and age, internal or external, to make a recovery DVD and to run the software included with the SSD.) Then I found several YouTube videos showing how to swap hard drives in an Aspire One 722 and reviewed a couple to get familiar with the process. The thing I *didn't* do was make any kind of performance benchmarks before swapping the hard drive with the SSD, so any conclusions I draw later on are subjective. Apologies.

I found instructions on the software CD as a PDF. If you're replacing the drive in your note/netbook, don't start following the instructions as soon as they appear; the first section is for a desktop. Keep going until you get to the section for notebook installation. These are the steps I followed in a nutshell:

* Swap the notebook's original hard drive with the new SSD and reassemble the notebook (YouTube made this a snap for me)

* Put the original hard drive from the notebook into the included external drive enclosure (in my case I had to carefully peel off a layer of foam padding that was attached to the drive so it would fit in the external enclosure)

* Clone the original hard drive (now an external drive) to the Kingston SSD (now inside your notebook) using the bootable CD included in the package. You need to be able to boot your notebook from the CD so you need to configure your BIOS to use the optical drive as a boot device.

* Follow the well-done (I thought) instructions in the PDF and the prompts from the software as it clones your original drive to the new SSD. Be forewarned that the time remaining estimator underestimates a little, or did in my situation.

* I got several write errors at the very end of the drive cloning process. Not knowing what else to do after hitting "retry" a few times, I chose "ignore" and eventually "ignore all" and the cloning process completed almost immediately thereafter and reported that it was successful. That's not comforting at all, but if there were serious any errors or omissions they haven't surfaced yet (so far, 3 days in using the netbook pretty constantly with the SSD). I did have one spontaneous reboot while I was away from the netbook, and Windows reported that it had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. I hope that's not a sign of bad things to come and will update this review if that continues.

* At the end of the process you need to remove your "new" external hard drive (the drive that originally came with your notebook), remove the software CD and (in my case) reconfig your BIOS so that your new SSD is either at the top of the boot list or 2nd in line behind your external optical drive if you prefer (normally I don't have an optical drive connected so it doesn't matter). This last bit isn't discussed in the documentation but it makes sense - you have a new bootable hard drive and you want all those leftovers out of the picture.

My netbook is ready to use noticeably faster than before (again, I can't quantify that due to poor planning). It became pretty clear what was taking time during bootup, and not all of it is waiting on the disk. The computer itself takes just as long to start reading the SSD as it took to start reading the original hard drive (this is the period during which you have the chance to press a key to enter setup). The "Starting Windows..." screen with the pretty Windows appearing as shiny lights and then morphing into the Windows logo takes just about as long - maybe a little less time - with the SSD as with the original drive. I assume that Windows is sniffing around the hardware and its own state from the last shutdown and that this is mostly a memory-intensive period. All that said, the login screen does seem to appear significantly more quickly than with the original disk drive.

Once you login things get a lot crisper in a hurry. The desktop appears almost immediately and programs that don't need a network connection will open about as fast as you can click them. These are things like local copies of Word, Excel, etc. with local documents or spreadsheets. I keep a lot of stuff on network-attached storage so files like that aren't going to load until Windows finds the network and connects to it. Likewise with web pages - when I click my Firefox icon the browser loads in a flash now, but it still takes a second or two to load my home page. Makes sense - my home page is out there in the world somewhere, not on my local drive.

Once Windows is loaded and the network connections are all settled, I see dramatically increased performance pretty much everywhere. The least impacted area is browsing websites because I'm waiting on anything and everything but the SSD...it can't make remote servers run faster or goose the performance I get from my ISP. Anything I'm doing locally - even locally over my home network, which is no speed demon - is whoa-that's-nice faster. Stuff that involves all local disk I/O is tablet-fast - in effect, everything is in memory, even the stuff on "disk."

The review from JustinCruse mentioning TRIM was very helpful - I'd never heard of it so I did some web searching and got a little education on it. Any SSD user should look into it.

Another reviewer mentioned receiving mounting hardware to make this 2.5" SSD fit into a 3.5" bay. I thought mine didn't include that, but it did. What I assumed was pretty blue trim in a piece of padding was actually the 3.5" mounting bracket and extra screws, so dig around. It's there.

I'm giving this a 4 instead of a 5 and I'm not sure that's fair - this was just impossibly easy to install and makes my formerly slow-by-comparison Acer netbook run so much faster than my main computer (a full-sized HP laptop) that I'm thinking about a bigger one for the HP. I guess I wanted my head to snap back from power up onward and that's probably not reasonable. The performance boost is like having a new computer, but as an upgrade the cost of this is a pretty large percentage of the original price of my Acer netbook (I do love AMZN but you should really shop around as prices for this vary a lot...a whole lot!).

If everything (or almost everything) you do on a computer is inside your browser, you're probably not a candidate for this or any other SSD until the prices come down even more, because most of what you're waiting for isn't stuff on your hard drive. Yes, you will boot way faster and your browser will load faster but after that, you're at the mercy of your ISP and the servers you're hitting and an SSD isn't going to do much for you there.

If you want much faster boot times and much faster local performance along with noticeable improvements with apps that are using files in your local network, an SSD should be on your list to consider and this one in particular since it was so amazingly easy to install.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2012
Size Name: 480 GB
I found that this Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB Upgrade Kit SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3B/120G was a very fast SSD, for the avid gamer, and even the normal computer enthusiast. It worked extremely well for my Windows 7 custom-built machine, with an AMD quad core processor and ASUS motherboard. It supports TRIM, so it's very fast, and it was at a very reasonable price. The read/write speeds were very fast, and it was extremely reliable. Then, I bought the Windows 8 Professional Upgrade and installed. The initial reaction was that the boot times were extremely fast, around 5~10 seconds. Then, after maybe 5 minutes of using the computer, it gave me the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death), with DPC Watchdog Violation. I would restart the computer multiple times, with the same error ~5 minutes after I was running it. After some research, I learned that it was due to the fact that many SSD's can't handle Windows 8 correctly until you update the firmware on the drive. The Kingston HyperX SSD apparently has an older firmware, and I am waiting for a firmware update. Kingston hasn't made a firmware update yet, so I can't use my computer for more than 5 minutes straight. Luckily, I had a backup and a spare hard drive to run my computer on. I miss having a rapid-fast machine. So remember this: DON'T UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 8 ON THIS SSD UNTIL YOU CAN FIND A FIRMWARE UPGRADE OR YOU WILL HAVE A BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH AFTER 5 MINUTES OF USING THE MACHINE!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 120 GBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This upgrade kit is a good investment, because for a few more dollars, one gets the following: A booting version of the Acronis True Image HD (cloning and secure erase software) plus a pdf installation guide. Also, a 2.5 inches USB external enclosure, for using while cloning the original hard drive from a laptop or a netbook. One 6.0 Gb/s SATA data cable, and a multi-bit screwdriver, which is great by the way, I disassembled my netbook only with it and a credit card. It also includes a 3.5 inches bracket with mounting screws.

About the Acronis True Image HD software, keep this disc handy, because you will eventually need it again. Even with TRIM enable, there is a chance that sooner or later you will need to recondition your SSD, that means cloning it to another hard drive before doing a secure erase to bring back its performance.

The purpose of the external enclosure is to facilitate the cloning of the system hard drive in a laptop, and of course, at a later time can be used as an USB external enclosure for any SATA 2.5 hard drive or the SSD itself. I like the easy way one can install the HDD in the enclosure, it has a lock/unlock switch instead of screws, and it fits perfectly in it. No struggles at all.

Before starting the upgrading process, I suggest that you open the included disc and read the user's manual, which details the whole process step by step. If you only got one computer, it would be a good idea to print the pdf file to have the information handy while doing the upgrade.

Next, enable AHCI Mode for the SATA controllers in the computer's BIOS.

Which are the benefits of cloning your original HDD versus clean installing your OS? It's the way to go if you're installing Windows, but don't have an installation disc or restore discs, also there is no need to activate your version of Windows again, or hunting down the computer's drivers. These drivers are usually available on the manufacturer's website, but sometimes it would still be a pain to get the right ones. Besides, the bundled software that came with your OEM machine will be also transferred to the new SSD. So cloning solves all these issues.

The process goes smoothly with less data to clone, if you can transfer your data provisionally to an external drive, and leave the minimum on the HDD, it will make things faster and simple.

After a few years of the technology being mainstream, we can say SSD are affordable and reliable. There is no longer the need to excessive tweaking while setting up an SSD drive, but we should keep in mind that even though SSD perform the same functions as mechanicals drives do, SSD are a total different item.

There are many things you can do to optimize the performance of a SSD, but here I'm only recommending the two essential ones: Be sure that defragmentation is disable and turn off drive indexing in Windows. These processes won't benefit a SSD, but wear it down with unnecessary read/writes.

I got this HyperX 3K 120 GB for a few weeks now, and I tried it in three different machines: a desktop, a laptop and a netbook.

The first one I put it in was my laptop, HP Pavilion g7-1219wm. I wanted to try the method of cloning the original HDD 5400 RPM to the HyperX 3K, with the provided software and enclosure. It took about two hours to clone the HDD from the laptop into the SSD, and the improvement in performance was obvious.

After that, I installed the HyperX 3K drive in my multimedia desktop, which has the following specs: ASRock Z68 PRO3-M, Intel i5-2500K MSI GeForce GTX 560 and Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3 RAM.

I named it multimedia pc because I mostly use it for recording, and editing pictures, video and music. Since the original HDD containing the OS installed in it was too big in size to clone successfully into the SSD, I secure erased the HyperX 3K and clean installed Windows 7 in it, but set the temporary/working folders used by the applications to perform the video rendering in a HDD, and the resulting processing files in another HDD. Both drives are WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s. This setting in order to limit the read/writes on the SSD. It booted in seconds, and all the applications loaded faster and executed way better than before, so I was very pleased with the performance of it.

However, after a couple of days of thinking about it carefully, (I guess I got SSD fever going on), I decided that of all my machines, the one who could truly benefit from this SSD was my netbook, which came with a HDD 5400 RPM and with a limit of 2 Gb of RAM. The chipset and the processor might not take full advantage of it, except from having a faster hard drive in it , but the main benefit comes from avoiding heat and increasing performance.

Also, if I drop it, the damage to the data would be minimum, if any. I've already experienced what happen to a mechanical drive inside a laptop that is dropped; in my case it got damage, while the laptop survived.
The cons would be avoiding the netbook's warranty that was still valid, and the work that requires to disable the whole netbook to replace the HDD with SSD. Of course, I did it. Well, it's worthy, definitely.

Now, the netbook boots in seconds, and all the applications load and perform faster too. It acts as if I had upgraded the CPU, which is impossible because it's soldered to the board and/or added RAM, instead of replacing only the hard drive. This upgrade is very personal, not for everyone, but it's what I did with the HyperX 3K, because I use this machine a lot these days, mostly for doing my writing and checking out my books in another screen than my Internet desktop, which is what I use the most. Besides, I take the netbook with me when I travel, for being lighter than my laptop, and it does much more things than an smartphone.

So, wrapping up, I highly recommend the the HyperX 3K with the warning that it's addictive, so you might want more than one.
review image review image review image review image
on December 18, 2012
Size Name: 240 GBVerified Purchase
Here are my notes of things I had to figure out a bit on my own to make it all work in my desktop PC.

NOTE: This is really easier than it sounds. I am including a bunch of detail because I think it will be helpful, not because this is complicated - it's not.

First, this is truly a COMPLETE upgrade kit and makes the process fairly simple and almost fool proof. The box contains the SSD, an adapter tray to allow the SSD to mount in a regular drive bay in a PC chassis, a SATA cable (which I didn't need because my PC chassis was prewired for more drives), a great multi-tip screwdriver, necessary screws, a case to allow the SSD to be used as an outboard portable drive (how neat is THAT) and the Acronis True Image software that makes cloning your system drive a no-brainer. The CD also contains an installation guide that talks you through MOST of what you need to know.

To put my notes in perspective, I installed the SSD in a Dell SPX Desk Top that is about 4 years old running Windows 8 Pro. This is a multi-core PC used for photo editing (heavy graphic work) with 8 GB of RAM and a fast graphics processor/video driver card. So this is no slouch of a machine and yet I have seen a definite improvement after installing the SSD.

First Things:
Load the CD, open the HyperX_Install_Guide (the PDF file) and if you are using English, print the first 16 pages. That's all you'll need of the guide.

Getting Your PC Ready:
Review the notes on page 5 of the installation guide regarding the capacity of the drive you are replacing versus the size of the SSD you are installing. In my case I was installing the SSD to replace my C: drive to speed up boot/start-up, shut-down and launching of applications. My C: was 500 GB and had about 300 GB of content. I bought the 240 GB SSD so I knew I had to do something about the difference. I had another internal hard drive with plenty of space so I moved My Documents, My Pictures, My Music and My Videos to that drive. This brought the remaining content on C: well below the capacity of my new SSD. Since these are "System" libraries and the operating system will look for them at particular locations you need to point the system to where they are in their new location. You can do this part while you're waiting for your SSD to arrive.

Here's how I moved my library folders.

First, I backed up all of the library folders to an external drive, just in case. (As it turned out I did not need these back-ups; nevertheless, I suggest you do the same. This can take a while so when you get that started, go get a cup of coffee, watch a couple of TV shows and come back to see if things have all been moved.) When I had the back-ups completed it was time to free up that C: drive space.

On my other internal drive (D: in my case) I created a "USER:" folder and inside that a "Bill" folder (that's me). Inside "Bill" I made a folder for each of the libraries, e.g., My Documents, My Music, etc. This is where I was going to move each of the libraries.

With that set up, I clicked on Windows Explorer (the file folder navigation screen), clicked on Desktop, then in the right hand pane double-clicked on the User Name (Bill, in my case), then right-clicked on one of the library folders mentioned above like the My Documents folder, clicked on Properties, clicked on the Location tab, clicked on MOVE, this brought up a screen where I navigated to the new location, selected the "Bill" folder, selected the My Documents folder and clicked Apply. I answered "Yes" to the question that popped up about moving files. I did this for each of the library files.

With the libraries moved I checked the storage on C: and it was down to 143 GB so I was ready to proceed.

The Hardware Part:
Install the SSD into the Kingston metal carrier using 4 of the flat-head screws that come with the kit. You get to use the great screwdriver that is included with the kit to do this.

Be sure your PC is shut down. Unplug the power cable.

Open your PC case; locate the hard disk drive bay; remove one of the spare HDD carriers, probably by squeezing a couple of tabs and sliding it out. Install the Kingston metal tray with the SSD into this carrier. In my case I backed out (loosened) the front two screws on the Dell carrier and they lined up with the front two holes in the Kingston tray. I just positioned the Kingston tray and retightened the Dell carrier screws as they went into the Kingston tray's two front screw holes. There is a ledge on the Dell tray that supports the rear of the Kingston tray so no screws are used for that. So, you won't need the included pan head (roundish head) screws at all in this situation.

Slide the Dell tray back into its slot until it clicks into place. Attach the SATA data cable (bigger connector) that is already there. Attach the SATA power cable using either one that is already there (it was for me) or using the cable supplied with the SSD. The Kingston instructions tell you how to locate the right connector on the motherboard.

Close your PC chassis, plug in the power cord and start your PC.

The Software Part:
Follow the Kingston instructions for Setup and Use of the Acronis software (page 8). My computer did NOT boot from the Kingston CD so I had to go into the BIOS (press F2 or whatever your PC uses during start-up to get to the BIOS screens) and set the Optical Drive as the first choice for boot devices. (Note, leave it this way after you are finished with the entire SSD installation process.)

Acronis will launch and just follow the simple and straightforward Kingston instructions.

Along the way I got some obscure message (`ST not recognized) but I thought "what the heck" and just hit Enter and it proceeded without any problems.

After selecting the Source Disk it took several minutes of "Processing" before it went to the next step. I was getting a bit nervous but I just waited it out and everything was OK.

After selecting the Destination disk, the software immediately began the cloning process which took about 30 minutes - remember that I was cloning about 143 GB so your time may be shorter or longer depending upon the amount of data to be cloned.

If all goes as expected you will get a "Disk cloning was successful" message.

Whew! That seems like a lot of work but it really wasn't. The bulk of the time was taken up in the back-up I decided to do and then figuring out how to reduce the stored info on my C: drive. I hope my notes here help you a bit. The use of an SSD as my boot/system drive has definitely breathed new life into my somewhat old PC and will give me another year or two of service.
on August 3, 2012
Size Name: 240 GBVerified Purchase
Just installed this product on Late 2008 Macbook pro (Pre unibody), Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1 running Mountain Lion

Yes this product works on Mac, although the box indicates only support for Windows Operating systems. I was a bit concerned considering the few reviews there are of this product used with Macbook Pros.

Install was easy enough

1) Put the SSD in the provided drive enclosure, use Super duper of Carbon copy cloner to clone your HDD, I had about 100GB of usage on my old drive, took close to 2 hrs to clone
2) Putting the SSD drive was easy enough, just go slow, so as not to lose any of the screws (there are quite a few), and delicate connections to deal with. Videos are available on [...]
3) Book time is significantly fast, and so are app load times. I hope the product lives up to the MTBF specified. My 4 year old computer feels like it just got a new lease of life.
4) Kingston Tech support was very helpful for pre-sales support with all the Q&A

For those of you considering the HDD upgrade, It should be worth it, except that I am writing this review after 10 minutes of use.

Cheers
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 2, 2013
Size Name: 120 GBVerified Purchase
Good kit. Comes with everything you need. Be advised the software does not work with windows 8. Took me 2days to figure this out. It says right on the package too. Cannot rate the software for obvious rights. Stay tuned for the performance review.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello AJ,
I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. The kit you received may have been an older pack, we do now ship our kits with a newer version of Acronis (on DVD) which is UEFI compatible and will boot in a Windows 8 machine. The current software will still clone Windows 8 but UEFI would need to be disabled or legacy boot enabled in order to allow the Acronis CD to boot. Some branded machines do not allow this to be changed or even when it is changed still do not allow non-UEFI booting. We are here to help and can send out the new version as long as you have a DVD drive in your computer. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.
on January 31, 2013
Size Name: 240 GBVerified Purchase
The hard drive itself is a good hard drive, but the Acronis conversion software that came with it is a joke. I purposely paid an extra $20 for the ability to clone my current C: drive and then swap them out. But the Acronis cloning software that comes with this 'kit' is outdated and does not support dynamic drives. If I would have known this, then I would have saved myself $20 and just bought the hard drive without the upgrade kit.
on August 12, 2012
Size Name: 240 GBVerified Purchase
Over the years, I've bought 3 SSDs (last one was 2 years ago). Each time, I assumed that the products would finally be good enough that there'd be no downside to switching (other than capacity and cost). This was the first time I wasn't disappointed. No stuttering. No finagling settings. Nothing bad to say about it at all. This particular packaging was worth it too. Install SDD. Insert CD. A few minutes later my existing 500GB HD (less than 100gb in use) was effortlessly transferred to the 240GB SDD. Everything fit (including the restore partition) on the destination without having to do anything else. Windows 7 was happy. I was happy. (FYI: Comes with a USB enclosure to facilitate laptop upgrades. Something I didn't need since I was upgrading a desktop machine...but a nice surprise.)

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations