Package Type: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked this unit up for the hubby, he has spent some time using it and here are his thoughts:

The iC16 is a simple LCD alarm clock with side firing Reson8 stereo speakers. Unit has AC adapter, small coin battery to maintain clock and alarm settings, and is portable with the use of 4 AA batteries. The AC adapter brick is rather large and sits at a right angle to your outlet/power strip. Set up and installation was easy. Size is 8 5/8"Lx2"Hx2" D.

LCD Display:

Could be a little bigger
To control the lighting it has 3 dimmer selections plus off.
Has a Daylight Saving Time switch in the back.

Alarm functions:

Simple set up and operation
Gentle Waking feature is nice, where the volume slowly increases up to the the level you set it at.
Snooze/Dimmer button is nice and big. A nice feature is the snooze time can be changes from 9 min (default) up to 29 min.
For the alarm to operate you must have AC or 4 AA batteries installed. The coin battery only maintains the clock and alarm settings.

Android Phone Feature

One of the nice things about this is the ability to hook up your smart phone and listen to your playlists through the speaker system or listen to a You Tube video, listen as you play your favorite game, etc.. With the included auxiliary jack/cable it is very simple to attach.
In addition you can charge your phone through the unit via a usb to mini-usb cable. This feature only works with the AC adapter plugged in.
There is a usb mode switch that switches between A and B. This could be a little bit more clearer as to what the difference is. Switched to B is the default and it worked for me.
Another nice feature is the free iHome alarm app from Android Market works with the iC16 so you can wake up to music on your Adroid or alarm.
One thing that is a little bit odd is that to play your music you have to press the power button vs it automatically turning on when you start playing music/sound from the hooked up Android or shutdown when you stop playing music/sound. Maybe it has more to do with saving battery life when in portable mode?

Speakers:

Are on the sides facing out.
For it's purpose the sound is good. It obviously isn't something you would use to entertain a room full of people as the output isn't significant. If you are looking for higher end sound this probably wouldn't meet your needs, but next to your bed or in your home office it is fine.

Other uses: Works with your iPhone and iPod

You can hook up your iPhone and iPod to the speaker system to play music, listen to video's, etc.
You also use the charging mechanism, you just substitute your iPhone usb cable for the one provided with the iC16.
In addition, the iPhone free iHome alarm app works with the iC16. I didn't spend a lot of time on it so there probably are some nuances with using the iHome alarm app with the iC16.

Rating 4/5
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Design: 5 Stars

Features: 4 Stars

Performance: 4 Stars

Overall: The iC16 is a basic alarm clock/speaker system for Android that does its job well.

Setup: The iC16 is as easy to get up and running. All you do is insert the backup battery, connect the power cable, USB cable, and AUX cable. Once you plug it in to an outlet, it is simple to set the time and the alarm time. You can optionally install iHome's Android app with alarms and a sleep log.

Usability: In contrast to the iC50, the iC16 is very easy to use. With your Android connected, the power button controls whether the unit accepts sound or not. The + and - buttons control sound. Also unlike the iC50, your Android device rests on the table next to the unit rather than using the flawed mounting scheme.

Sound: The sound quality is OK, but it is not on par with the iC3 speaker doc. It is good enough for a dual function device.

Alarm Clock: I like the alarm clock on the iC16 better than that of the iC50. The functions are the same, but the iC16 has raised buttons. Once you know that the power button on the end turns off the alarm, it is easy to find and turn off in the morning. The iC50 has flush, unmarked buttons making it harder to turn off.

Other: Continuing with the iC50 comparison theme, the iC16 does not have an FM radio. However, I see this as a positive. It allows for a simpler design and better performance overall. Users who truly desire FM radio can find a replacement app anyway.

Conclusion: The iC16 is a solid alarm clock and Android speaker dock. While the performance is not world class, it does its job well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I received this as a review unit and the picture of the portable alarm clock makes it look a bit nicer then it actually is. When I unboxed the alarm clock I noticed the feel of it was just not of quality. It feels cheap and the buttons click and aren't what they should be for a $45+ device. These should be smooth buttons that work without that cheap clicky sound and feel.

In my case I can't use this as an alarm clock, it's main selling point. The reason is because the ALARM button is stuck in the down position. I never pushed it, that's how it came. I tried to pry it up and I can't. So I am unable to use the alarm function on this clock at all. What I WAS able to do though is connect my android to the radio using the included usb and audio cable and my alarm on my phone played through the speakers on this device.

I'm not fond of this clock, in fact I won't be using it. It's cheap build and for $45+ I would expect something more. I'd rather get a dock designed for my phone that looks better and has a better build quality then spend my money on this thing.

I give this 2 stars because you can use the speakers on this with your phone and while it doesn't sound spectacular it's not bad for a nightstand. If it wasn't broken upon arrival it would get 3 stars, and if the buttons weren't so cheap feeling it would get 4 stars.

As you can tell I don't like this thing and would pass on it if I was you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2013
Pros:
Somewhat good design
MADE FOR ANDRIOD!!

Cons:
Charges at USB rate, which is slower and probably worse for your battery
NO AM/FM RADIO
not bluetooth
ihome app is not great at all

I ended up returning this because I wanted am/fm radio and the charging was sub-par. It's unfortunate that there are NO great options for Android.
on June 11, 2014
Does the job, but could be louder. Also, the charging cords included are junk, and pretty short. I do like that you can adjust the brightness of the display
on March 17, 2014
I was somewhjat disappointed with it. It is smaller than described - not much bigger than a stapler. The time is hard to read also.
For some reason I thought it was a clock radio, but it is not.
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2012
I received this as a review unit and it was boxed nice and looked nice but does not feel up to the task. Biggest issue is the external plug without a dock. It's as if you have to hang the droid off the side and let it do it's thing. One reviewer had issues with a button and you can see why when you feel the lightweight quality.

For $45.00 you can buy a much better alarm clock, or several smaller alarm clocks. You can connect your Droid to the unit with the included USB, and it sounds pretty good. It makes up for the cheap build, but not enough to warrant more than 3 stars.

Overall I can see where iHome was going with this unit, but there are so many other more durable, dockable units out there that I'd suggest looking elsewhere before buying. If the unit was under $19.95 then it would be worth the price, not $45.00

Good sound, good idea, bad implementation.
on May 19, 2014
It is a very good looking and stylish piece of kit. Very easy to setup about 5 mins maximum and does the job. Good sound quality considering the size of the clock.

Only frustration is that the jack to hook up to your phone is a little short so constricts mobility, I think a purpose built dock would be better but for the price cannot complain.
on February 12, 2014
rhis was a gift and great for someone who is on the go and travels a lot compact to easy to pack
on February 3, 2014
My husband hunts and this was a great investment for their travels into the Utah wilderness. He loved the easy use and the ability to charge his phone as well.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations