on June 22, 2012
I'm not going to say much about the 3DS itself. You can find reviews of it EVERYWHERE. I'm just going to tell you about the color. I picked up the Midnight Purple at a retail store (that starts and ends with T and uses a red bullseye logo) for the same price as the Aqua Blue and Flame Red models. I had put off buying a 3DS just because I hated both of those colors, but when I saw this one, I was sold instantly. When I opened the package, it was even more beautiful than I imagined. A glossy, shimmery black-purple so rich and deep. I think you would call it Royal Purple, but with a darker, iridescent undertone more the color of a concord grape. There's nothing to dislike about the color of this one. Unless you hate purple.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
This review is from someone who has only owned a GBA and a regular DS in her life, in terms of portable consoles.
Starting easy with the color: It's a deep, glimmering purple. Very, very attractive color.
Onto the system itself. I am beyond impressed with this technology. Maybe it's just me but it's honestly the coolest thing I've ever seen, and I don't think people are as impressed as they probably should be! I show people when I have it on me and they can never say anything less than "Whoaaaaaa."

Approaching issues now.
"The battery life is short": Yes, less than three hours with the high settings. It's pathetic for a portable console. But honestly, there are fixes for every qualm you could have with this. Don't bother upgrading to a 3DS XL unless other aspects of it entice you besides the battery; for maybe fifteen dollars (EDIT Feb. 2013: the price has even gone down to ten dollars), just buy something called the Nyko PowerPak+. Look it up right here on Amazon. It replaces the stock battery and doubles your battery life, and also adds a nice grip to the console. Takes maybe two minutes to screw on to the console. It adds weight as well, but like I said, I owned a regular DS which was pretty heavy and I never really saw a problem with a console that isn't a feather. I like the feel of durability. I own the thing and it rocks.
Also, though ~3 hours is a little iffy, how long is it really practical to spend sitting on your 3DS? You don't need 9 hours in your typical day, so perhaps a shorter battery life will convince people to take a break and let it charge.
"The 3D effect gives people headaches": I spend a few hours a day on the games. I spent quite a few hours at first adjusting my settings and trying out the included extras. I didn't get a headache and my eyes are fine. It might take some adjusting at first, because who looks at 3D effect screens all day? But in the end, if this gives you a headache and you're a typical person, it's time to take a break for a while.
Getting the 3DS at the proper distance from your face to get the best effect takes some getting used to.
(My biggest issue-) "DS games will be stretched out": Yes, they will. This was actually my make-or-break factor. The game will be stretched to look slightly pixelated to fit the resolution of this new console. It's just enough where it's noticeable. However, I don't suspect that this will hinder gameplay, nor do I suspect it will be too big of an annoyance once you get used to it. If you simply can't handle it, holding (Start+Select) when tapping your game at the home page will make your game screen small so it isn't pixealted. Keep in mind that it will be very small. Maybe it's just me but I found it tiny; I'd rather have the stretched game.
There is no slot for GBA games. I was a little miffed (since I'm a sucker for my old Pokemon versions) but it's not like I didn't expect it. Still have my old Advance so it's all good.

For the record, I purchased this system over the XL; they were both released when I was in the market for one. I've even tested the XL numerous times at the store after to see if I had possibly made a bad decision, being that the XL gets such rave reviews as being the better system.
But after serious consideration, I've decided to keep this system, and here's why:
- Portability. It's much smaller and lighter, even with the Nyko battery, which is what I was used to with the original blue Nintendo DS.
- Battery life (+Nyko). Since the Nyko is made for this console, the battery life is even longer than that "improved" life of the XL. For someone like me, who often plays with low settings, this is good- I'm also forgetful, so if I forget / don't have time to charge this, chances are I'm in the clear anyway. The battery life really goes and goes with that.
- Color. There are far more attractive color options (skins aside) for the original model, and I'm happy with the purple. Yes, this glossy finish picks up more fingerprints; if this bothers you, I suggest buying one of the Nerf or clear cases, or bringing a screen wipe with you.
- Sound. I've heard that the XL has a low sound quality, and the original is quiet enough at max as it is (and though I don't mind that, I still wouldn't like it any quieter).
- Finally, the most important part: screen resolution. I would rather play on a smaller screen with a nice, sharp image than on a huge one with a pixelated image. This was the make-or-break factor between the two for me. Though the big screens are easier to see to some extent, I had a harder time reading the text on the XL after using the original for as long as I did.

Of course, you might feel differently! Most people aren't bothered by the pixelation and will recommend the XL as the superior system without contest. I personally suggest that you take into account what is important to you regarding the differences between the two, try them both in real life, and make a decision then.

All in all, people have some big issues with little things about the original 3DS we have here, most of which are fixable, all of which are wholly insignificant. If you're worried about anything with this console, just take the advice and don't let that bother you. It's definitely worth getting. There are games coming out at this point in time that you really want to have this console for, such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Pokemon X and Y. Far too cool and fun to pass up over a $10 extra battery. Cheers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2012
I recently upgraded to the 3DS from the DS Lite and I must say, what a great upgrade! I wasn't sure at first if I would like the 3D effect, but I love it! It's really fun and cool looking on the game "Mario 3D Land." I highly recommend buying that game. It's very fun!

As for the color, Midnight Purple is very, very nice! In the picture Amazon has, it appears to be more of a fuchsia color. The actual color is a deep purple and it's very stunning in person.

If you're unsure about whether to upgrade from any previous DS, I will tell you right now, it's most definitely worth it! You won't be disappointed, I promise :-) Read the other reviews here on Amazon - that should help you decide!
on June 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
First off, it arrived on time which is great. Its a purple 3DS!! YEAAAHHH!!! Anyway, it looks way better compared to the red and blue colors. I had a tough time deciding on this or the 3DS XL that comes out in August, but the color is what won me over.

Recommended for anyone looking for a nice color and the price wasn't to bad.
on October 12, 2012
The 3DS is pretty amazing. I upgraded from the ORIGINAL DS! haha

I like how there is a lot to navigate through on the home page. You should start out by making your Mii character. Then after that enter your internet information in the settings at the end of the panels on the home again. After that you automatically get a friend code for your Mii.

Also this is an upgrade from the original DS. I have never had a DS that had internet connection. This way you do not need a nintendo wi-fi to use the wifi. Just turn your wireless on the DS and you're good to go. Just make sure you are close to the source of your internet.

To extend the battery life there are three things you can do.

1) Turn down the screen lighting. (This is also better for your eyes. I always like my screen settings low.)
2) Turn off the wireless at the side of the 3DS.
3) Use 3D feature seldom.

For the 3D to work properly, follow the instructions it gives you with most games. You basically hold it a little over a foot away from you a little under a 45 degree angle. Hold it still or the image will kinda duplicate in an odd fashion.

The 3D is cooler than I thought it would be. I only have nintendogs so far, and the 3D really adds life to your dog. It literally looks like the dog is inside the DS, and you are looking though a window. It makes the puppy that much more real.

So far I haven't used the 3D more than 10 minutes at a time, and haven't had much problems like headaches. My eyes sometimes feel weird after or during using it.

I like to turn my 3D slowly on with the little lever for it. And also slowly off. I don't know if you have to do it that way, but it just is nice to ease into and out of it for me.

Honestly this color is beautiful. It has gradients of deep purple colors. I love the way it looks. I don't know why they haven't made a DS in this color yet. Now they just need to start making these at the release of new DS systems. Judging by how many models there are, you would think there would be a lot more color options. How cool would a lime green DS look? Or a canary yellow?

So if you are thinking about upgrading to a 3ds from whatever system you had, I thought it was worth it. But remember I'm new to the internet on the 3DS scene and all the cool things that come along with it. I guess it's up to you to compare your system to this system to see if it's worth the update. Or if you just want it for the new 3D games, that is a good reason too. That was another one of my own reasons. : )
on October 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
Nintendo 3DS Portable Gaming Console - Purple. Awesome pretty purple no mattie color. Great game play 3d mode or original mode. Just upgraded from old DS LITE to this new one and I love the wifi. With the old DS you need to use a WEP Key.
on August 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
The 3ds midnight purple is just stunning and beautiful. The color of the ds has such a deep rich shinning purple. So glad i chose to get the midnight purple instead of the aqua blue. Everything about the sytle is just perfect. I have no doubt about giving it a 10.

The graphics are pretty good as well even though it tends to have some jagged edges on some of the games, but you probably wont pay much attention when you turn the 3d on. I give it a between a 8(1/2) & 9. The sound is also pretty good although is slightly lower than i wanted.I give it a 9. The grip is just great to me no problems here, but if you have big hands you might want to save for the 3ds xl. I give it a 9. The buttons feel just great also. I give it a 9. Oh and for the worser problems. the batter life. -_- ughhhhh! i hate it basically. only about 3 hours with the 3d on full blast. I will just have to wait until the Nyko power grip pro comes out in around octomber i think. Sadly I have to give it a 4. Being so pretty has a price. Any where you touch it leaves finger prints on the glossy surface. It is also highly attarted to dust. I am always scraping dust out the edges. Some i cant even reach. Once they send me back the new ds from repair, i will be prepared with a case and screen protector. I give it a 5

My only main problem i recieve was the loose hinge. Nooooooooo -_-. I was so hoping the midnihgt purple would solve that problem like it did with everything else. I had to send it in to get it fixed. So glad it is free. beside that i have no other problems with the system. Oh and for the stylist i have no problem with taking it out the back of the system. i give it a nine. Overall i give the system a 9. i hope my review is somewhat helpful to those that are looking into buying this system. ^_^
on June 19, 2013
Verified Purchase
i held off on buying one of these for awhile because there weren't any games i felt were worthwhile and it was a bit too pricey at $250. now that the price lowered, and several games i LOVE are available or coming out (animal crossing, fire emblem, pokemon x&y), i bought one. they definitely improved on a lot of things the DSi was lacking! i like the ability to use the home screen mid game and the 3d is good for short periods of time. the only complaint i have is the battery life, but that's expected with something like the 3ds, with a 3d screen....
on December 27, 2012
Well first of all I LOVE the color, purple is my favorite color! This is a great portable game console! There is nothing wrong with this when I got it for Christmas. The battery life is 4-6 hours, and the 3ds works great (for a little bit.) It gives me a headache if I have it on longer than five minutes. The camera and video recordings are great, it comes with some games that are really fun! I am nine and a girl. I hope you love this as much as I do! :-)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
I will say this about the 3DS: I was not expecting it to be this cool! I have a couple of games for the 3DS and I have a bunch of games for just the DS and I will say that I love everything about this. The Midnight Purple is awesome and I love everything about it!