Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on March 12, 2013
Awful! Loud, chaotic, no real educational value, and worst of all not a flash light! Our baby discovered our flashlight and loves it, but he likes to shine it in his eyes and our real flashlight is too bright for that. We wanted a flashlight with a gentler light and more baby friendly form. This VTech flashlight absolutely did not deliver. First, it is not a flashlight, in that you press a button or switch and the light goes on. Instead, there are 3 numbered buttons and one ladybug button. When you hit any of these these buttons, the light flashes randomly (but does not stay on), and a riot of crazy beeps, chimes, and voices goes off. We had it on the quiet setting and even so, it drove us crazy just testing it. You cannot get the light to go on without the noises. It's also super confusingly designed. You'd think the ladybug, being on the handle and ergonomically where your thumb would be, would turn the light as long as its depressed, but no, it just brings on another seizure-inducing round of flashes and shrill noises. This was an immediate return.
1010 comments332 of 363 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2013
I found this toy to be way overstimulating. The flashing of the lights and the loud frantic music made this just too much for my son AND me. Theres no way to use this toy just as a flashlight with different colors, the music has to be on for it to work. The lights flash very rapidly with the different colors and the music was too loud (even on low) and frenetic- I couldn't stand it after 5 minutes. I sent it back.
0Comment94 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2013
Pros: It flashes, plays music, sings, has three number buttons that can be pressed, makes some animal noises, and has a spinning dial. Very appealing to a toddler! Batteries pre-installed.

Cons: It does all of the above AT THE SAME TIME. The flashlight does not turn on separately from the sound effects, and does not function as a steady beam. It turns off automatically after 45 seconds of no input, but if your toddler puts it down it will keep making random noises (not *quite* constantly, but almost) to get the kid's attention. There are two volume settings, neither of which resembles soft. If received as a gift, I recommend testing it before taking it out of the box and giving it to your lucky kiddo.
0Comment44 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2013
EDIT 6/1/2013: My son ended up playing with a light weight pocket flash light instead! it kept his interest and he could play with it for 30min in a dark room. I highly suggest buying one at target/home depot. Not only is it cheaper, but you can get the light weight ones that fit their small hands - you also don't have to worry about them accidentally dropping it and hurting their feet.

Pros:
- Durable, it has survived my 1 year old's abuse of banging. no color chips or dents. it's still working.
- Different colours of lights
- Not as bright as a regular flashlight (this is good so my son doesn't hurt his eyes when he tries to "look into the flashlight". but bright enough so it holds his attention.
- the weight of the flash light is just right. It's not heavy enough to hurt if dropped on the foot. but heavy enough that my son feels like he is carrying something.

Cons:
- I totally agree with a lot of the 1 star reviewers. this flashlight's music and sound does get annoying at some point (and i am someone who can sleep with the tv and lights on! )
it's a toy that really does "try too hard" (like a few v-tech toys I have brought). Every time you switch to a different coloured light you hear singing and talking. It never stops as long as the flashlight is on. even the volume on "low" it feels kind of loud. I just wish they had an off button for sounds so my son can just play with the lights. When it gets boring then, I can switch on the sounds. like with any toy, too much all at once doesn't hold attention for long.

I also have the Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Click 'n Learn Remote a lot of reviewers complain about how annoying that toy is. This is BY FAR more annoying. I thought the remote was totally tolerable and fine compared to this flashlight.

I would give this toy 5 stars if they had an off button for sounds.
0Comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2015
Too bright for toddlers. I mean really bright. I was hoping for something my daughter could play with in the car and while going to sleep at night since she has a bit of a fear of the dark. This is NOT what I had in mind. :( Also, as other reviews mention it does not function as a flashlight. I added two photos to prove my point. One with the camera flash on and the other with it off. I set the flashlight to blue which as far as I can tell is the dimmest of the colors. Even with the flash on you can't make out the shape of the bulb producing the light. I don't see how this passed US safety regulation standards.
review image review image
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2012
I bought this for my 1 year old's birthday. She loves anything that lights up and plays music. The handle is easy to grip for little hands and the ring that changes the color of the light is easy for little ones to turn. It also has features that teach counting and different animals. It is a very cute idea for a toy that will be played with for a long time. I am sure my oldest will be playing with it too.
0Comment38 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
Great toy, my two year old toddler plays with it but, doesn't care about the light. I didn't pay $30 maybe around $12 from Target...
0Comment28 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
Bought this for my 3 year old for Christmas. he loves flash lights and lanterns. it says 18-36 months on it, which would work fine for that age range too, but with how educational it is I think it can be stretched further.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2013
It plays music, says 1 2 3 when you press those buttons, and you can twist the top to make the light different colors. My daughter is huge into flashlights and any kind of lights (as am I!) but at almost 3 years old, this one is a snoozer. It works just fine, and even came with the batteries. Maybe for the younger ones it would be perfect? Couldn't keep a 3 year old's attention.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2015
I bought this flashlight because it was a best seller on Amazon. I wanted to teach my child how and when to use a flashlight, but what I found out was it's more of a toy or musical device, rather than a flashlight that a child can learn to use.

Pros:
Good sound and volume
Variety of animal options
Variety of buttons

Cons:
Not like an actual flashlight that can be left on and used to light up a dark area
Entertainment value : doesn't keep my child's attention very well

If you're looking for just another toy that plays music, this is a find choice. But don't expect your child to learn to use a flashlight from this thing.