Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 - Playstation 3
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$33.33 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 4, 2012
So you're probably asking yourself - which game should I buy this year...PES or FIFA?

Having played both in previous years - and becoming frustrated with the issues of PES 2012 (online play, players with superhuman speed outpacing any defence), I decided to pick up a copy of FIFA 13 and see what the fuss was all about.

To be honest, FIFA 13 is a really great game. I'd played FIFA 08 and 09 a few years back and was amazed at just how much the game play had improved!
The modes, licenses, commentary and music are all superb - and are easily way better than anything PES has to offer.
The stadiums look terrific, player movements are smooth and nicely animated and online gaming is top notch.

But after playing it for about a week and having read some positive reviews about this year's version of PES, I decided to try out the demo.
& that was the tipping point - the demo just felt more fun to play than FIFA and the game play seemed more realistic.
...Long story short, I sold my copy of FIFA and bought PES - and I've been a happy camper ever since.

So what's different?

1) The pace is slower - you actually have time to pass the ball around to your other players while trying to break down a defence (like Barcelona would). I felt that was missing in FIFA, where the pitch just seems more crowded for some reason, and you're constantly rushed to either dribble past defenders or quickly rush a pass to another player so as not to lose possession.

2) Passing seems more crisp and responsive to the controls - so an errant or intercepted pass is more likely due to a player's mistake or carelessness.

3) Defending has been improved - you won't see as many unstoppable sprints by Ronaldo or Messi as you did in PES 2012.

Yes, the commentary's terrible and the lack of licenses is a bit of inconvenience - but those are quickly forgotten when you start playing a game. It's just that good.
...So go ahead and pick up a copy of PES 2013 - you won't regret it! Must buy.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
This game is great, it is by far, the most fun and enjoyable soccer game I have ever played. The improvements are amazing and outstanding, gameplay is very fun and REALISTIC. You just feel something different than when playing FIFA, even FIFA 13 (which I bought and played with for a couple of days, after that I sold it).
Definitely recommended, 100% recommended.
on October 3, 2012
I bought Fifa 12 after not having a football game for a long time. I played it for a year, and it did have a lot of nice features. The greatest positive of the Fifa franchise is content. Because they have exclusive contracts they can include all the teams you want and more. They have so many players that you can spend hours looking through players. They have a lot of different "modes" which remind me a bit of Facebook games. If you want a role-playing game and not a football game, Fifa is the game for you.

But the current generation 12+13 have issues. It is really hard to be competitive on Professional level or above, frustratingly hard. Defenders are way too good, way to fast. Passers rarely make mistakes. A opponent player can be under severe pressure on the touchline and still deliver a cross field pass right to a team-mate. This never happens in real football. There is a lag between when you press the button and your player takes action. This is the biggest deal-breaker with the current generation that still persists in Fifa 13. You may get few chances a game and this will blow many of them. The players rarely make any smart runs unless you bump your mode up to attacking and beyond. The through-pass system usually makes the wrong decision (PES overcomes this with total freedom passes on a play-by-play basis). The goal celebrations are completely unrealistic. The commentators spout random facts over and over and often call a pass a shot. The crowd are card-board cutouts which from certain angles becomes very distracting and cheesy. Manager mode will sell big players like Rooney and Messi behind your back. The injury/ card system is way to over-happy when you designate the computer to simulate a game. Players like Neymar are rendered useless because they have the stamina of a small child. The best feature of Fifa is that what it lacks in actual fun, it makes up back for in addictiveness - That is - in between the frustrations that make you never want to play it again. It is addictive because it is expansive.

PES 2013 while obviously lacking in content makes back up for this in game play. It is NOT hard. As a Fifa 12 player I was able to play a game and actually score *gasp*, even on professional level. The computer actually makes mistakes. Players make good runs. I can manually slot a pass through if I doubt the computer will choose the right path by pressing the L2 button. Even if I don't, the through-pass system is pretty good. Key players actually move like themselves - quite amazing to see considering the players in Fifa all seem like cardboard cutouts of 1 or 2 generic players. Celebrations are realistic. For example, Neymar dances. Just last night, I was down a goal close to the end and Rooney grabs the ball out of the net and runs to the center for the restart. Passes and shots are surprisingly delay-free, if not 100% of the time, most of the time. The crowd is sufficient and not obviously cardboard cutouts. Stadiums are beautiful and the shading/lighting looks less cartoony that Fifa 13 does.

PES is NOT complex or hard to play on a superficial level. I'm not sure why people keep saying this over and over again. Could it be because the game starts up with an extensive tutorial you can chose to skip? This was one of my main frustrations with Fifa. There were 4 tutorials in the whole game and no instruction booklet. It basically left it up to you to figure out what to do, as if every Fifa owner has been playing the game for years. And as for tricks, Fifa Street will teach you they keys but NOT Fifa. So they are trying to co-opt you into buying Street as well, make Fifa your whole life and game library.

The main thing, in my view, is that when I played the PES demo, I smiled and laughed and was excited again about football. This is something that Fifa 12 has yet to make me do. PES is just fun to play.

Of course, coming from Fifa, the funding issues are apparent as Fifa is an EA big seller. EA is able to throw a lot of money at the game. The subtitles in master mode could have been replaced with simple dialogue. The wrong team names can be mostly fixed with updates published on the Internet by enthusiasts in the PES community.

I have not played PES 2013 yet as much as I have Fifa 12 in the past year, but the frustrations that PES fixed for me have been well worth paying the opening-week price in my opinion. After playing the Fifa 13 demo, I realised that Fifa had not fixed the most glaring problems.

Pros
- Fun
- Realistic
- Seems like you are watching a game on TV
- Key players behave like themselves
- No key-press delay
- Players are more intelligent
- Opposition will actually make mistakes
- Fan community
- In-game and in-manual help

Cons
- Changed team names
- Lower budget means not as flashy and less time-waste content
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2012
Finally Konami did it this time, they got the formula of the failure of 11 and 12 right this time, with the utilization of Fox engine Smooth game gameplay, amazing graphic best one of the series and much better than the Arcady Fifa
on October 1, 2012
If you liked PES on PS2, it feels like PES 2013 is the first of the PS3 versions that truly recaptures that, AND builds on it in a good way all around.

It is completely ridiculous that people are actually complaining about PES 2013 because it gives the player MORE options for controls, tricks, and technique. Since when is having more options bad? That's exactly what they are -- options. You are still fully able to play without the new control options, but you might as well go play FIFA with all assistance turned to max then. On the other hand, in PES 2013, if you put in some effort to learn the new stuff, that's where PES 2013 truly shines and rewards you with truly new and interesting gameplay. I'll say it here and I'll say it later: PES 2013 is an intelligent soccer sim that challenges, while remaining fun and rewarding.

At its core, this is a PES that does pretty much exactly what you want it to do. If you just want some easy, quick soccer fun, you can do that - there are options and difficulty settings to allow that. If you want intricate passing games where you have control over not only your players, team, but also the ball itself - PES 2013 does that better than any other version.

You can modify the way a player receives a lofted pass, change the weight and trajectory of through balls, pinpoint the location and type of shot, and mix and modify a vast array of tricks and feints in a dynamic manner that takes into account your player, the opponent, physics, and more.

All you have to do is learn it first, and that's not a bad thing, because while the challenge is there, the result of creating a goal is always unique, and always satisfying. There are extensive tutorials in-game to learn and practice with, and the game also comes shipped with a nice little booklet detailing every button combo available (of which there are many).

Overall, this is a PES where physics, ball movement, player animations, and AI are all at the best seen in the series. New additions this year are almost all positive, with unprecedented control options over ball, players, and player movement. As a long-time player of soccer sim games, this is one of the most intelligent, challenging releases yet, and is the first one where what is possible is limited more by the human player rather than the game's mechanics.

BIGGEST PROS:

+ Fluid and dynamic new control scheme
+ Close control options for players, team, and ball
+ Good 'balance' between simulation and game
+ Challenge and depth can be as much or little as you want
+ Robust editing and customization of almost everything
+ Master League, Champions League, Copa Libertadores all return in full

BIGGEST CONS:

- Still lacks licensing for some teams and players (easily fixed with custom player-made Option Files)
- Somewhat clunky menus
- Lackluster soundtrack (can import your own music though)
- Online play is mediocre
on October 15, 2012
This is the best PES soccer game I've played during the past few years. The AI, the ball moving and the goalkeeper, they all improved. I think PES2013 can really be called the pro EVOLUTION soccer.
on March 28, 2013
The game is awesome!!... its better than Fifa for the following reasons:
- the gameplay is more real.
- the champions league tournament
- the Libertadores tournament
- Excelent A.I

I love this game!!

What's the problem? In the specifications or details not specified region (region 1 is Amercian version - Region 2 is Europe version).
I bought the game thinking that it was region 1, but my surprice is that this game is region 2.. and now i can't play with my friends in online option because theirs have the region 1(american servers) and I can only play on europe servers... big fail!
on February 21, 2014
it came in the time expected and well protected... the online pass is included in the package as a redeem code for psn store ...
on January 7, 2014
so i borrowed the 2014 one and didn't like it that much and decided to go with PES 2013 due to the reviews and i have no regrets AT ALL.... the game is really fun but it is also well done plus it shows no lag at all.

Copa Libertadores does the trick for me!

I guess they could've done something with the menu but that is not a real issue AT ALL.

I strongly recommend this one over PES 2014 (maybe 2015 will be better)
on April 1, 2013
I love the free passing.

I didn't enjoy the speed of the game.

I recommended it to all my FIFA addict friends

See 1 answered question