Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on January 12, 2012
i had it for about a month now and its been sooo much fun. cruising on it is awesome expecially since it has such big wheels. and it goes fast! you need lots practice to get to learn it but when you do get use to it you have the best time of your life.
on February 3, 2012
This thing is great.
I have been riding snake board more than 15 years ago. This thing is very similar, it took me less than 10 minutes to figure out how to propel it, another ten minutes to properly steer it.
So I thought about why so many people complain about not being able to ride it. I guess it is about mechanics. Several reviewers have stated to be able to ride a ripstick but not the skate cycle. I tried a ripstick, compared to a snake board (and skate cycle) it is, let's say, "meta-stable", you have to make many small movements to control it. As the wheels are so tiny, these small movements are enough to propel a ripstick. Such little moves do not work with a snake board and also not with a skate cycle. These wheels are huge. You need large movements and good back muscles, it is about force and training. The information they provide in there web site is in fact pretty good. To make it clear: this is not a ripstick, you cannot ride it like a ripstick. Whoever loved the snake board will love the skate cycle.
Yet I think there some things that could be improved. 1) The thing is pretty heavy, carbon instead of metal would make it lighter for sure. 2) There is no shock absorbing, it should be possible to add some absorber between the platform and the wheel. 3) I would love to have straps to fix the feet like it was on the old snake board. You can get more power into the device by doing so. 4) Make the wheels bigger and the bar longer. I have no idea how large you can build the wheels before it becomes impossible to propel it, but I think a bit bigger is still possible. Together with longer bar it would be possible to ride at higher speeds.
Finally, again the statement this thing is simply cool. I have been waiting for a revival of the snake board with modern technologies. This is definitively snake board 2.0.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2011
Being that this is Brooklyn-workshop's first product, they are giving them self a awesome image of build quality and customer service.
They give you all the tools and instructions you need to take apart, clean, and repair your skate cycle. If a part breaks or need replacing all you have to do is call there number on the instruction book.

The body is solid giving confidence that it would never break while in use. The only plastic is the outer casing; to basically make it look cool. :)
It does take some time to get used too, the video they uploaded on YouTube did help a lot! I do advise to wear protective gear for your first few times you practice. And NEVER go down a hill with it if you don't know how to stop, like i did.

Its cool if you have 150 to spend on a toy for adults and teens. :)
on October 31, 2012
Let's just get something out of the way - the Skatecycle is not the easiest thing to learn how to ride. But did you learn how to ride a bicycle the first few days or even week? It's the same concept, you have to stick with it, be disciplined, and be passionate about eventually getting it. For me personally, it took me roughly 1 month from the first day that I unboxed my black Skatecycle to the day that I could officially say "I'm good at it."

I had no prior experience with skateboarding, snowboarding, rollerblading, or any of those similar activities. I was very persistent and started off the first few days by rolling around in my kitchen (only part in my apartment with a hard, flat surface) just getting my balance and learning how to stay on the Skatecycle. I had watched some instructional videos on YouTube that helped with this initial process. After of which, I took the plunge and went outside - but not before buying a helmet (I fell several times and the helmet proved to be useful). At least 1 hour a day for the next 2 weeks I was rolling along, using walls and street lights or whatever it was I could get my hands on to help me balance. Every few days I would continue to improve on my stamina, or find something new that made me say "aha!" when I figure something out that made riding easier. Finally after a few weeks, I was rolling around with ease and able to sustain a ride for as long as my legs didn't get tired (which isn't more than 2-3 minutes before I have to stop).

One other piece of advice that no one has ever told me, is that you should start out by picking a dominant foot. I "learned" how to ride the Skatecycle with my right foot in front, left foot in the back. To this day (almost 6 months later) I have yet to practice becoming ambidextrous and being able to switch back and forth. But by sticking with the same feet positioning, you will learn your balance a lot quicker in my opinion. Something else that's important to point out is that the Skatecycle is not made to go uphill. Anything more than a couple of degrees uphill will make riding near impossible and quite painful, as maintaining momentum requires you to push/carve your feet and move the wheels awkwardly. So it becomes important to learn on a flat surface to make it easier, and when picking a park or location to ride - find a place that is really flat all-around.

I was first motivated and inspired to purchase the Freerider when I saw a video on YouTube of a "Tron-modded" Skatecycle that had light strips glued to the wheels that made it look like something out of the Tron movie. I have yet to attempt that mod on my own Skatecycle, but that's where it all started.
on January 18, 2013
I received my Skatecycle 2 weeks ago and so far I really love this product. Let me make things very clear, this thing is going to challenge you but is very rewarding once you learn how to do it. I hopped into this thing with little to no skateboarding experience, all I knew how to ride before I got this was a bicycle, ripstik and inline skates (or blades). To give you a better idea on how hard this thing is to learn, I have only just managed to propel myself and do all the basic maneuvers like turning and stopping. I don’t consider myself an expert at this thing yet; I can only just now say that I can ride it.

So what did it take to get this far? It took hours of practice and a lot of falling off. In reality, I spent about an hour each day practicing this thing and was able to ride it fairly well by day 3 or 4. After that, I worked on my turning which felt awkward at first, but by day 7 it felt natural. The real challenge was learning how to combine all those motions into a propelling motion to go long distances. Now that I have that down, I consider myself capable of riding it, now it’s all about practice and “getting really good at it”.

So I guess like many other reviews have said, yes this thing is very hard to learn. It can’t be said enough honestly, but as long as you’re willing to persevere and work with it every day, it shouldn’t take longer than a few days to get the hang of it. I don’t consider myself well-built or one with strong balance skills, yet I persevered and managed to learn to ride it. It’s hard, but it’s not impossible.

As far as riding goes, the Skatecycle’s large wheels make for a very stable and smooth ride. Balancing even at low speed isn’t difficult, and the Skatecycle takes bumps with ease. Small inclines do affect the overall speed of the Skatecycle more than I would have liked them too, but it’s no worse than a ripstik in that manner. Stopping is as easy as making a sharp turn of simply stepping off. The only real problem I have with it is as of right now, it makes my really tired and sore after about 20 minutes of riding. That isn’t really a problem with the product but more with the rider.

Overall build quality of the Skatecycle is also great. The body is made of a good mix of metals and strong plastic. I’ve fallen off plenty of times and the Skatecycle seems to be holding up pretty well, with only minor scuffs on it. Pretty much every vital piece of this thing is made of a strong metal, and plastic is really only used to make it look cool. I would have honestly preferred an all metal design, but overall I am happy with it. The wheels also have plenty of rubber and I don’t expect them to wear down nearly as fast as other boards.

All in all, the Skatecycle is an amazing piece of technology. Brooklyn workshop has truly went out of their way to make a quality product that is not only built well, but also functional.

If you have any questions on the Skatecycle feel free to leave a comment on this review and I will do my best to answer them as honest as possible. I also plan to update this review in a couple weeks once I feel like a more capable rider.
on March 2, 2014
First -
This is NOT a RipStick,
This takes effort to learn
There are cheap knockoff out there - these ones from Brooklyn Workshop are rugged.
If your children find this tough, don't give a one star review, instead give your kids some encouragement to keep at it - this, like many things in life require effort. (One guy nailed it when he mentioned that a bad review because the SkateCycle is difficult is akin to a bad review for a unicycle because you can't simply jump on it and go).

There is no doubt that this takes skill to ride. I don't care how talented your kids are at boarding, RipSticking, stilt walking or unicycling, this is a different beast and tricky to learn (especially of you ride a RipStick because you want to use the same motion). My son can ride his RipStick very well, he started when he was 7 and at age 10, this thing gave him fits - it challenged him, no instant gratification here, but hours of endless focus, fun and eventual success followed by well deserved pride.
This is a well built piece of equipment that can take a pounding - I have had mine at school for the middle school students to play with every day and it goes home with kids on the weekend and after school. Have fun, persevere and learn something new.
on October 31, 2012
I have had my Skatecycle for a few weeks now, and I love it! It is quite challenging to learn at first--it is a completely different technique than Ripstik boards(bored of mine). It takes much more patience and practice, but it pays off by being that much more fun.

I enjoy to get outside and get my exercise. First, I got myself some rollerblades. Then I saw enough Ripstiks to finally want to get one myself. And then I saw the Freerider Skatecycle here on Amazon, I knew right away I needed this skating contraption.

I ordered it a few weeks after discovering it, and after my high anticipation of it's arrival, the day of awesomeness had finally come. I already knew that the Skatecycle folds up, but it is surprisingly compact in person;the item is smaller, yet heavier than expectations.

Patience and practice are a huge part of the learning process. It took me around 3 days to get the basics figured out, not to say I ride all too far yet haha. But, that is a lot of the fun for me, to figure out the new ride. And when you finally do get going, it is nothing short of epic.

The product seems to be extremely well made, and it has looks to match. It may not be as easy of a ride as some other boards available, but it is the most rewarding for the effort and also worth the price tag. As soon as you receive the package, you feel the quality vibe radiating. I have zero complaints with my Skatecycle, and look forward to riding it much more!

If you are looking for a new ride that is UNLIKE a Ripstik, but more akin to a snake board, then this is the ultimate right here.
on May 13, 2013
First things I noticed out of the box was the top quality construction, and that it was a little heavier than I thought it was going to be. I've practiced a few times so far about 30 minutes at a time and have seen a little progress each time that makes me really want to stick with it, but I know I have a long way to go before I'm really riding the skatecycle and I can't wait. The challenge to learning this is half the fun.
on December 12, 2012
I bought this freerider skatecycle for my 12 years old son and he loves it very much ships fast it can be hard to ride at the first try but then you get use to it.
on November 9, 2013
This is Snakeboard 2.0. VERY hard to learn. I recommend buying a snakeboard too, get the hang of the motion, then tackle this. You get looks of amazement and comments all the time. Anyone who gives this a low rating because it's hard is being unfair. Very well made, rewarding toy, don't be a wuss.