Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on December 4, 2012
I'm in IT- I replace drives and reinstall operating systems all the time. I've been a fan of Crucial for awhile, and I still like the M4 drives that I am currently using. That being said, the V4 is garbage. I purchased three of these to do some upgrades for clients and every one of them is worthless. Literally every single PC, Laptop and Netbook I tried each of the drives in ran slower with the V4 in it than with the regular Hard Drive, even after doing secure erase formats and clean installs.

Don't believe me? Google "Crucial V4 slow" and you'll get enough reading material to fill your day. Lot's of problems with incredibly slow performance out of these drives. I would spend the extra $20 and get the M4, or go with a different brand. I've had great success with Plextor SSD drives as well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2012

I'm taking out my last update as the problems returned very quickly after I thought I had it fixed.

Don't buy this drive unless you have a pressing need to save a minimal amount of money and you need to be able to bump your computer around without worrying about ruining your spinning drive. I've tried everything I can think of to make it work to some level of satisfaction, it's junk. Spend a few dollars more and get a better drive. Crucial support has blown me off now since I made my initial complaint, they've lost a very long time customer.

Let me just qualify my notes here, I've been a customer of and have recommended Crucial for years now and have never had anything but the best products and service from them. I think they are a good company that just made an iffy product with too many performance compromises for the sake of meeting a price point.

I am not at all impressed with this drive. I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" that came with a 320GB Toshiba 5400 rpm HDD. I installed this at the recommendation of the Crucial website, but at least in this machine, I have had flashes of great performance follow by infuriating delays and beach balls. Sometimes Microsoft Word will open in about 3 seconds, other times 20 seconds or more. Restarting the computer can take 1.5 minutes to close to 10. I have read a lot of posts from other users that have had similar performance problems, and a few folks have indicated that this drives controller seems to have issues with certain motherboard chipsets(?). Crucial doesn't seem to know about or acknowledge any compatibility problems with this Mac.

At this price level the compromises aren't worth it, just pay the extra $10 or so and go with a SATA III (6Gbps) drive like the Crucial m4 or OCZ Agility 4, neither of which appear to have these performance problems.

I would recommend steering clear of this one if you have the Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15", I'm going to be getting a new SATA III drive for the Macbook and moving the Crucial v4 into my desktop to use as a boot drive and I'll update my review if I get better performance.

Just my opinion.

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2012
This item was very slow and performed mediocre compared to a standard sata drive. what was most distrubing is that it crashed and had to be reloaded 3 times within the same week. Send this back for refund and definately would not buy this model again.
on February 14, 2013
I got HDD Crucial V4 in october. Since than it failed once in 2 weeks but I could install system again and was working for another 3 weeks and than failed for good, I couldn't do anything. Unfortunately that was Christmas time and I went for over a month to see family in europe. When I was back I found out that my return time expired so I stuck with piece of trash.
DON't but v4. Their deals are not because they are cool, it's because it's crap. Nobody wants to buy it and it crash in time. I wanted to ask them to change it for better brand but the option to write them is off on amazon so am writing you my experience.
As I found out when regular HDD fail you still can get your data, when solid drive fail thats it, good bye so better consider spend more money and don't thing about making good deal.
on January 30, 2013
I should have listened to the other reviews. This drive installs easily and does exactly what you want it to do. EXCEPT, it is as slow or even slightly slower than the HDD I replaced it with. I needed a replacement for a laptop that has blown out two HDD's in two years because it gets knocked around so much while it's running. For that, I'm sure this drive will completely fit the bill. However, don't expect SSD speeds from it.
on June 6, 2013
I bought 11 of these for a small new computer deployment, and I was so excited about getting SSDs so cheaply that I did not research them very thoroughly. I've now switched one machine back to the 7200RPM drive that came with it, which seems much better.

Now I can try updating the firmware on this one and see if that helps, but it's disappointing to have something so promising be so useless out of the box.
on January 15, 2013
I purchased this drive in December 2012 to replace the old Western Digital 5400rpm drive in my 15" Macbook Pro (10,3 from mid 2007). This older Macbook has an SATA-1 bus in it, so I wasn't expecting a huge speed increase. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. The new drive has significantly sped up my system. On speed tests, I get a throughput of about 4 times what my old platter-based drive could give me, both on larger reads/writes as well as random reads/writes of tiny chunks of data, where the older drive choked completely. Max throughput peaks at 130mb/s... not going to get any better with SATA-1.

I am able to run many more apps at once than I was before. Partly this is due to having added 2GB more RAM (6GB total), but I am able to use 4GB of swap without noticing any major slowdown. The main place where I get slow results is when I start a new app when my RAM is full and I have used a lot of swap... I get lots of launch bounces and spinning beachballs in my other apps, as OS X juggles swap and RAM-based storage. This is only a minor annoyance, since I don't launch new programs all that much... I load often-used apps on login, which is also noticeably quicker.

I also can get slow results on file copying... I suspect this is due to overloading the SATA bus with simultaneous reads and writes, and may also have something to do with the v4 not supporting as many IOPS as does an m4, for example (it spec's out at 10K iops for reads and 4K for writes, vs. an m4's 45K/20K). An annoyance, but not a show-stopper. I get excellent results with video playback and VM loading (VMWare Fusion 5, Windows XP SP3).

In sum, this drive has been an excellent deal for my older Macbook Pro. When I finally upgrade to a new laptop later this year, I'll stick this v4 in as my encrypted drive for my home folder, and it should perform great in that role.
on April 3, 2013
I've bought this SSD for an older DELL PC with Intel E8400 Processor and a SATA II-Port.

The SSD is incredible slow - it feels slower than the original hard disk drive.

Take another SSD for your PC, the crucial V4 isn't worth the Money.
on February 20, 2013
...this is an early review. Some reviewers related fails after a certain amount of time. If that happens to me, I'll update this review. Story: I bought a refurbished Sony VGN-AW120 laptop over four years ago... and it has always started Windows 7 slowly - taking well over two minutes to fully load - but still has been a competent and very nice unit. For the 'heck of it' I decided to try and re-refurbish and hopefully speed it up (as a graphic designer, I need all the application power I can muster... for time away from my home studio.) With a little research I found it could handle a total of 8 gigs of ram (it came with only 4), and could receive pointedly the 3Gb/s Crucial SSD. It was stated that the VGN-AW would not be able to use an M4 @ 6Gb/s to full capacity. Plunking down the cash for the two 4gig memory cards and the 128GB v4... and cloning the HD using a free version of Macrium Reflect (highly recommend! Worked flawlessly!) I'm glad to report that the system boots in a fraction of the time of the HDD it replaced!!! The difference is quite remarkable! It now takes 30 seconds compared to the previous three minutes to fully boot. I think some of the poor reviews are because they were replacing HHDs in higher end, newer systems that do indeed need the m4/6Gb/s SSDs. The VGN-AW has been re-born... not just for boot time, but for Photoshop and all other apps in the system. PLUS the Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure I bought thru Amazon worked perfectly and now houses the HDD that was replaced and is great for a back-up drive (In case the Crucial fails) and storage toboot. I had my doubts, but if you want to upgrade an older laptop... do the research first, then take the plunge. It only costs a couple hundred dollars (or so) ;-) Better than paying for a new machine, IMHO.
on May 9, 2013