on December 31, 2014
Verified Purchase
I have very dressy watches but it gets kind of tiresome and weary wearing flashier watches on a day to day basis.

I needed an everyday watch that I could use everyday that was low key, manly, durable, and easy on the wallet. I'm so glad I was scrolling through amazon to find this gem.

Timex isn't known for being the most upscale but I do trust it as an everyday and dependable watch company

Here are some notes after owning it for a bit:

+ Looks matter completely
Undoubtedly the most important thing about the watch other than function is the look. It looks super slick and it definitely looks much more expensive above the $50 price tag. Serious steal here

+ Price won't hurt your wallet
I know Timex ain't no Rolex but the price is a serious plus. It allows me to sleep comfortable knowing that If I got my hand trapped under a rock and it crushed my hand, my watch can be replaced easily (eek).

+ Surprisingly durable
It can take a punch or two and won't scuff that easily. The body itself can take a beating but I'm not too certain about about the glass.

+ Comfortable
It's not too heavy and the band is very comfortable and easy to take off. The band doesn't 'catch' and get super stiff like most watches and undoing it is super easy. It's hard to explain in person but once you try to put and take off this watch you'll notice how easy it is.

+ Glows in the dark!
Press the middle button and it glows in the dark for you which seems gimmicky but it really is important sometimes

There is one minor annoyance though

- Second hand stopping
When you press the top button (by accident perhaps) it stops the second hand but the time does still keep going.
I noticed I kept pressing the top button by accident and it kept stopping the second hand which gave the impression that the watch was broken but it did not. It seems like a design mistake but other than that the watch is solid.

A very solid purchase, it looks even more beautiful in person (Check out my photos)!

5/5 Stars from me
review image review image review image review image
on December 28, 2013
The good:

-I really like the design of this watch. it's got a very appealing retro 1930s/40s look to it, which is exactly why i wanted it. The Chronograph hand is unobtrusive and i actually like that it's not solid orange. The color scheme and layout are perfect, and the high contrast of yellow against brown makes it very readable even in low light. In most reviews i wind up talking about how the picture doesn't do the watch justice. This isn't the case here. I think that the design/colors of this watch lend themselves to being accurately photographed, because every picture i've ever seen of this watch looks exactly like the actual product. So if you like the way this watch looks as pictured, then rest assured that you'll be pleased with it when you get it.

-The infamous Timex "ticks so loud you can hear it across the room at night" issue is completely absent from this watch. It's very quiet.

-It keeps excellent time. I set it to the U.S. atomic clock about a week ago and it hasn't lost a second.

-The PVD coating seems well done and looks good.

-The backlight is bright without being obnoxious. Bright enough to see the time, but not so bright that it unnecessarily drains the battery.

The not so great (but not really all that bad):

-It has a tachymeter on the inner bezel. Yay. Tachymeters look nice but nobody really ever uses them. (i'm sure SOME people do, but i've never met any of them in my life.) A telemeter would have been more useful, or even better, 13-24 hour markers (since this is clearly a military style "field watch"). Oh well.

-In fact, there are no hour markers of any kind, but if you're someone who prefers analog watches you really shouldn't need them.

-The lume on the hands is terrible. I do like that even the chronograph dial hands are lumed, but I timed it from a full charge, (Yes, i have finally gone THAT crazy.) and it went from bright to unreadable in less than 10 minutes. Not a big deal for me because I generally don't care too much about lume on watches, and I care even LESS in this case because the watch has a great backlight. (Complaining about the lume on a watch with a backlight kind of feels like complaining about the oars that came with your speedboat.)

-The chronograph hand on mine is (slightly) misaligned, resting halfway between 59 and 60. Adjusting it one tick forward makes it come to rest on 1. It doesn't bother me though, as i timed this watch with another chronograph and the chrono keeps perfect time, which is all i care about. But if minor aesthetic imperfections irk you, know that many of the product photos i've seen of this model elsewhere have very slightly misaligned chronograph hands.

-The backlight is activated by pushing the crown. Sometimes if you flex your hand the wrong way you can activate this by accident. It's already happened a couple of times that i've been doing something and looked down to see that the backlight is on due to the position of my hand/wrist. This may or may not be a problem for overall battery life in the long run.

[EDIT 6/14/14: I've taken to loosening it by one hole from where I originally had it. It still sits well, is very comfortable, and doing this eliminates the problem completely.]

-Chronograph only measures up to 30 minutes. Not a big deal since there's a constantly running hour hand on the watch, and if you remember where the hour hand was when you started the chrono, you should be able to reasonably work out how many 30 min cycles it's gone through already.

-Others have commented on the quality/durability of the leather strap, particularly about the thinness of the material connecting the strap to the spring bars and possible tearing after a few weeks. I can't speak to this yet, since i haven't had the watch that long, but I'll come back in a month or so and let you know how it's holding up.

[EDIT 6/14/14: Still holding strong, although I don't wear this every single day, nor do I use it as an "outdoors watch". I'd suggest a NATO band for that anyway. This watch would probably look spectacular on one of those.]

A final word on price... I've kept an eye on this watch on Amazon for the last couple of months, and let me say that the price has been absolutely ridiculous at certain points. This watch retails at Walmart for about $60, because that's what it's worth. At one point it was going for at least 3 TIMES that here, which is messed up. Don't get suckered by out of control automated pricing programs, or people who think that having the only 2 or 3 of something in stock on Amazon gives them free license to rip you off. just wait for it to come down, or go order it on Walmart.com for $60. (Sorry sellers, but there's supply/demand, and then there's just being a jerk.)

EDIT: Added pictures to show what I mean about the chronograph hand being slightly off, as well as a few pictures in varying natural light.
review image review image review image
on February 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
This excellent watch is surprisingly feature- packed; even more so than the product description lets on! The truglo is not strictly- speaking glow in the dark: it is actually a backlight which can be activated at any time (for whoever didn't know). It still gives an epic blue glow that you'd want, and it can also be held down to automatically activate whenever you use the chronograph or adjust the watch! On top of all this, the chronograph also has a 'split' function, allowing you to pause the s timer then continue again. This is awesome if you take a mid- bread during running or something and don't want to include it in your lap time. This watch has been engineered excellently. Timex haven't let us down in terms of hand accuracy and articulation of time. Even the small second- hand dial at 6:00 points directly at each individual second marker without any lag or inaccuracy that I can see. The same goes for the chronometer; the 1/20 of a second timer doesn't spin, per say; it actually 'ticks' between each fraction of a second. You will NEVER get decimal readings or unreadable portions of time. Every 20th of a second is clearly articulated, making it an incredibly satisfying tool for breaking PBs.
Finally, I come down to appearance. As you can see in the picture, the watch face is quite busy. However, the colour scheme is perfect, and helps to make it look less intimidating and off- putting. When it comes down to it, this is a beautiful watch, with the black casing and gorgeous leather strap. Both the functionality and appearance of this watch could suit adventuring, sports and casual dress events, although the brown tones of it make it perfect for an outdoors situation.
All in all, this watch is packed with intelligent and well- engineered features which are as practical as they are accurate. I absolutely love this watch, it suits me. The question you have to ask yourself is "does its appearance suit me too?"
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2014
This is a great watch. It's thicker than you might think. You will know you are wearing a watch when it's on.

Two quirks that aren't game breakers:

1. What you would normally consider the second hand on the clock is actually the second hand for the chronograph. The small second hand at the 6 o'clock position is the clocks second hand. I was about to take it back thinking it was broken before I realized this. Just a different layout.

2. When in zero light situations and using the indiglo feature you can't see the date. Aside from not being able to see the date the indilo works great.

-edit- Only other quirk I see is the chronograph doesn't do hours so you have to keep an eye on it if you are tracking hours and even then it stops automatically after 4 hours.
on February 14, 2015
Verified Purchase
I've been wearing this watch for a few days and its really nice watch to wear around in indoors or outdoors. I got for $40 and its a solid watch! My only issue about this watch is the crown dial sticking out. If you wear the watch too loose on your wrist, you will feel the crown poking you. It is very annoying. The watch is a bit heavy for me. It likes to slide around my wrist and I have to keep adjusting every so often. The design and the price is just perfect for me to buy. Best looking watch so far in amazon.
review image
on December 31, 2014
Verified Purchase
I bought two T49905 in one order,and wanted them as presents for my nephews, one is OK,but the other is not very well: before I got it ,the plastic bracket had been broken, and the glass had been scratched (located on the part above six o'clock). It's hard to imagine how disappointed one of my newphews would be....wish goods can be wrapped more carefully next time(maybe it had be broken before wrapped,who konws).
review image review image review image
Verified Purchase
I received this watch today so I can't comment on the ruggedness or reliability but here is my initial impression. Firstly, this is an amazing value at less than $50. It is a handsome and seemingly well crafted watch. It is large and heavy so it might be termed a "wrist clock" rather than "watch" but that does not bother me. I am a large man with a large wrist. On a smaller wrist, it might look overwhelming but this seems to be the era of large watches, but be warned. Be sure to follow the set-up procedure in the owners manual as the chronograph needs to be adjusted to zero. The lighted dial is just bright enough to see the time in total darkness with your adjusted vision. My only complaint: The sweep second/chrono hand is difficult to see. It works like a charm but takes an eagle eye to see it. Maybe when I get cataract surgery, this problem will be resolved. All in all, an excellent watch and an amazing value. I have spent a lot more for watches I like a lot less.
on February 9, 2015
Verified Purchase
Great looking, good quality watch! Great price too. It works perfectly with 20mm nato straps. Do yourself a favor and pickup some nato straps for your watches. Google 'cheapestnatostraps' After looking around for a while, they had the best prices. If you use the discount code 'facebook15' you get 15% off too. I think if you buy 5 of them, you get another discount as well. I uploaded a few pictures that show my expedition with a black nato strap.
review image review image
on December 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love this watch! Was worried that it might have the same loud/noticeable ticking that's notorious in the Timex Weekender, but I can happily say that this watch is quiet. I can only hear it tick when I hold it up to my ear. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. Was lucky to have got it on sale, but I would definitely recommend it even at $60. Solid quality of materials, sturdy constructions, and just a great overall look. If you're looking for an everyday beater that looks great and is also built to last, look no further.
on July 17, 2013
...the chronograph second and upper sub-faces lose their ability to rest on zero but you can re-align them using these instructions for fossil watches ([...] To realign the chrono-minute hand, pull the winder out one click and push the (can't remember now) top or bottom button. That was a nice surprise (to find a solution).

I also replaced the band with a slightly wider nylon/velcro band. Just looks better that way although I really wish the original band was wider.

Again, great looking watch but you get what you pay for.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations