Away From The World (Vinyl)
Format: VinylChange
Price:$19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon September 11, 2012
Big Whiskey came at a puzzling time. Founding member LeRoi Moore passed away August 19th, 2008 and amidst discussion of whether or not the band would continue they pulled up their drawers and went into the studio with some previously recorded ideas and created Big Whiskey, with much Moore studio material preserved. Fans had long since clamored for an album to live up to the "Big Three" of 1994's Under the Table and Dreaming, 1996's Crash and 1998's Before These Crowded Streets and had been somewhat jaded by DMB's studio output since 2001's Everyday usurped the universally praised scrapped album known as "The Lillywhite Sessions", the last body of work by DMB featuring Steve Lillywhite as producer. While those songs were re-worked into the 2002 release Busted Stuff they simply didn't resemble the sound that came out with Lillywhite at the helm. It is likely for this reason that many fans on message boards like "Ants Marching" and "These Days Continue" have long held to the belief that DMB would not see a true return to form until Lillywhite returned to take over the console again. Perhaps adding fuel to that argument was what is considered the worst of DMB's studio releases, 2005's Mark Batson-produced Stand Up. Members of DMB have commented since then that those songs never translated well to the live setting although the odd song like "You Might Die Trying" did eventually become not only a live staple but a well liked song by hardcore fans.

While it wasn't universal acceptance from the type of fans that take to the internet to discuss DMB every day of the week, it was for the most part a big sigh of relief and if not the album that would join the "Big Three" it was at least a massive step in the right direction over Stand Up. The album received very favourable reviews from the press with Rolling Stone going so far as to call Big Whiskey their "Best Album Yet" on the June 2009 cover. Gone was the sampled and electronic sound of Stand Up, gone was the polished chrome pop sound of Everyday. Big Whiskey sounded more like DMB than at any point since The Lillywhite Sessions but still had a little ways to go. The most unfortunate part of Big Whiskey was the mastering, it was louder than any other studio album and the CD and digital downloads had been dynamically crushed by the hands of "Death Magnetic" mastering engineer Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound. The vinyl release appears to offer a slightly more dynamic version of Big Whiskey and is the preferred version.

So in late 2011 the message boards were alive with chatter that Dave Matthews and Steve Lillywhite had met after a performance and had a great chat and the whispers of heading into the studio to see what may become were alight. The result of that time in the studio in Seattle is today's biggest new release (sorry Dylan, but no doubt DMB will sell more in the first week), Away From The World. Many fans have been listening to the iTunes stream that started premiering last week, others have waited to experience the CD or the vinyl for their first listen. The songs Mercy, Sweet and Gaucho have been played extensively from the start of the tour (with Sweet showing up in a few 2011 Caravan shows as well) with other tracks like The Riff being added as the tour progressed which wraps up with tomorrow night's "Release Party" show in Hollywood Bowl, California. Now we get to hear all the results, including the tease that we heard on the band's YouTube channel which turned out to be Drunken Soldier.

When I first heard "Mercy" on Jimmy Fallon I was definitely underwhelmed. It was nice to hear a new song, but I thought it odd they would play a solo song as the first preview of the new album. When I heard what it became as a full band song I stood utterly corrected, beautiful and haunting. The gorgeous outro is every bit as beautiful as anything they've ever created in the studio.

Whether or not you feel like this album is a Big Three quality one thing is for sure, this band definitely puts out great sounding music with Steve Lillywhite at the console. Where Big Whiskey was in your face not just because of over compression but because of having a rock producer putting Tim's electric very much up front and in your face, Away From The World puts everyone back tastefully in their place. Tim Reynolds stylings add to the songs rather than controlling them. Boyd Tinsley actually plays on this album! Okay I know he played on Big Whiskey, but Boyd's parts are no longer relegated to being largely out of hearing but back as a co-star of the album just like they were on the first three RCA releases. When you hear the delicate bow/string bounce on Gaucho it clicks right away: THIS is DMB and Steve Lillywhite, this is the sound I've been missing. This is the evolved sound. Everyday wasn't an evolution of DMB, Stand Up wasn't an evolution of DMB. Big Whiskey came close, but Away From The World now has this band pointing back in the right direction and as a long time fan I say thankya big big. The ending two tracks Snow Outside and Drunken Soldier mark the best ending to an album since Before These Crowded Streets. It's DMB not afraid to explore a song and not confine it to some standard that other producers seemed to be chasing with them. Where Mark Batson may have taken a 5 second snippet and looped it, Lillywhite wants to see where it would naturally progress. There's also a really nice honesty here to Dave's lyrics, like in The Riff when he says "Looking at the cracks creeping across my face. I remember the little kid living in here." Dave's voice sounds as amazing as ever during the falsetto on "Sweet" and I think they nailed the running order of the album too.

If today's release debuts at #1 DMB will be the first artist in history not including live releases or compilations to see SIX studio albums in a row debut at #1, although it's likely that Eminem's next release will put him in the same company. DMB has also sold more tickets than anyone else in the last decade. Having got through the loss of a founding member it was this Summer Tour that the new incarnation, including Tim Reynolds back permanently, Rashawn Ross who had been on trumpet for the last few years playing with LeRoi before his passing and Jeff Coffin who before joining permanently had guested with DMB more than any other artist (Butch Taylor was never really a guest guys), finally gelled live. That's not to say that there weren't some amazing shows in 2009, 2010 and 2011, but this year even the songs you didn't want to see or hear left you saying "holy crap that was amazing" or "wow, my face just got melted off".

One word about the compression: Away from the World doesn't have the same over-zealous dynamic range compression as Big Whiskey, but it's no winner. There were five songs on Big Whiskey with 6dB or less dynamics, there are NONE on the new album. The lowest is 7dB and the average is 8. That is roughly the same as Before These Crowded Streets. If you want to hear a really dynamic recording of DMB then pick up the latest DMBLive release of Masquerade Nightclub, Tampa, FL 3/2/1994. The average dynamic range is 13dB. It's the most dynamic release from the DMB camp since Remember Two Things. Truly spectacular sound.

Big Whiskey was released also as a 2LP vinyl, just like Away From The World. While the vinyl of BWGK came from a separate 24-bit master and appears to have more dynamics than the CD, the new album was cut directly from a Redbook CD 16/44.1 master. The vinyl is clear, but quite a few people are already commenting on lots of non fill (scratchy sounds when no music is playing) and off-centred pressings which are not the fault of the mastering house (Sterling) but the pressing house. I too notice too much non fill, and my copy is very noisy. The little "u" in a circle in the deadwax lets you know this was pressed at United in Nashville, synonymous with poor vinyl pressings unfortunately. What a shame this wasn't cut from a high resolution source (better yet, analogue tape) and pressed at RTI in California or Pallas in Germany. You have to ask yourself, what's the point of releasing a vinyl of the CD master? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm very disappointed about this. Don't bother wasting money on the vinyl, there won't be a sonic advantage.

5/5 for the album.
1/5 for the vinyl issue.

What's next for DMB? Sure would be nice to finally get that B-sides album with Lillywhite at the helm and get studio versions of #40, Granny, Crazy-Easy, Idea of You, Sugar Will, Kill the King, Break Free, one of my favourite unreleased tracks Shotgun and others wouldn't it?
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2012
It was hard to anticipate just where Dave Matthews Band would go after BIG WHISKEY AND THE GROOGRUX KING. The biggest predictor would be the band's decision to bring longtime producer Steve Lilywhite back into the studio; having produced the band's first three albums, it seemed somewhat likely that he would bring the band's 90's sound with him. As it turns out, the band's 8th full-length album sounds like a mix between some of the creative direction of BIG WHISKEY with some of the ideas from the band's early career.

Some of these songs will be a little familiar: "If Only," "Gaucho," "Sweet" and "Mercy" have been road-tested earlier this year while the band was on tour. The album begins with "Broken Things," a song that centers around a jolting guitar riff before giving way to the rest of the band working together in unison. This song sets the precedent for the album: not only is it a strong melodic song, but it's sprinkled with political overtones, with a few lines here and there flecked with political discontent. "Belly Belly Nice," (the worst song title on the album, so it only gets better from here, I promise) features a soaring chorus that recalls Dave Matthews from the late 1990's. The politically-charged lead single, "Mercy" centers around Matthews vocals and instrumentation - it's a simple song, but after being exposed to the full band jamming on the previous two tracks, it's hard for it to stand up to those heights.

The dynamic "The Riff" begins pretty bare before the rest of the band opens up (similar to "Broken Things"); it's one of the more rocking tracks (and it's great live) and it shifts frequently from loud to soft passages. "If Only" stands as one of the album's highlights; like "Mercy," it feels a little more stripped down, but the melody is fantastic and impossible to ignore. The album's closer, "Drunken Solider" effortlessly manages between horns and acoustics - it is packed with an energy we see DMB bring most often on stage. These moments, when all the members of the band are working, make this album a must-listen for DMB fans.

AWAY FROM THE WORLD is a great album from Dave Matthews Band. Listeners who enjoy the band's work (especially their first three albums), are sure to love this. Even though the music might harken back to their earlier work, this record finds the band moving forward and searching for new creative directions. Essential tracks to download/sample: "Drunken Soldier," "The Riff," and "If Only."

(Additional Release Information!)
AWAY FROM THE WORLD is being released in multiple forms. The deluxe edition contains three extra songs, in the form of live tracks of "Gaucho," "Mercy," and "Sweet." The "Super Deluxe" edition contains all of this with an additional CD and DVD: the bonus disc is composed of 8 live songs by DMB as performed on their 2012 tour. The bonus DVD includes video footage taken from the same tour, at about 10-songs long. The "Super Deluxe" edition comes in a few varieties itself, but it appears that these are relegated to pre-orders.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2012
NOTE: This is an all encompassing review of the album "Away From The World". I purchased the vinyl edition and the Super Deluxe, but Amazon directed me here to place my review. I'll add my thoughts on the vinyl at the end.

Today and yesterday I spent a lot of time with Away From The World. I was one of those who skipped the leak and waited until I had the vinyl in my hand and dropped the needle before I listened to the whole thing. I'd heard Sweet, Mercy and Gaucho live this summer, Mercy and Gaucho singles and checked out the YouTube videos of The Riff, If Only and Belly Belly Nice, but after that I wanted to stop and wait until I had the final product in my hands to give it a listen. I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Going into AFTW, I wasn't sure what to expect. DMB had evolved and changed, matured and had added on the lineup with more presence from Tim Reynolds and the addition of Jeff Coffin after the passing of LeRoi Moore and the addition of Rashawn Ross on the horns for a developing horn line. Adding Steve Lillywhite to this wasn't going to bring the band back to the beginning to make a BTCS/UTTAD/Crash style album, but I knew it was going to take that newer DMB sound and make an album that was going to be great. I knew the album would be good, but I didn't know it was going to be this good. I'm very impressed with the work that went into this and I think AFTW is just phenomenal. I don't try to say, "This is the Big 4!" because honestly, this is a new work for a different time and a different place in their lives. The Big 3 existed at a time as a work that will always be an example of early DMB. This is something new, something different and a different sound, but still uniquely DMB, if that makes sense.

1. Broken Things - I really like Broken Things. It has a familiar and classic DMB feel and I agree with those who say it has a very BTCS vibe with some very true lyrics. I really dig the use of the baritone sax in this song. I like Boyd's violin work on this one as well. I like the lyrics, and I can easily identify with them. I've always lived my life by a plan but lyrics like "You want to be so sure of every step you take. You can't always know what's coming. You can't always trust the twirl of fate." and "How could we know that our lives would be so full of beautifully broken things?" remind me that you can't always plan for everything, but when you look back on it - it's a beautiful road you took to get there and it's littered with memories.

2. Belly Belly Nice - This song is a straight up jam. It reminds me of a Shake Me Like A Monkey/Rapunzel/Too Much hybrid, a fun jam with some simple lyrics. I don't think this song is meant to be interpreted or has a deeper meaning, it's just a fun song. I've been playing this one a lot in the car. Really love the sax work on this and Boyd's solo at the end kicks ass. The "Belly Jelly" lyric makes me laugh every time.

3. Mercy - When I first heard this song full band in Texas for the Summer 2012 tour it gave me a lot of hope for this album and really looked like a new direction for the band, paying homage to their roots but still moving forward musically. Simple, but beautiful. My favorite part of this song is the outro - it's truly beautiful. Jeff Coffin shines and his sax work really feels like he was channeling the spirit of Roi, hearing him playing in the outro really made me have a new respect and appreciation for him as a member of DMB, it was like for me - that was the moment that it truly hit for me.

4. Gaucho - Gaucho is a cool song, the guitar work and the horns are my favorite parts of the song. It has a really Spanish style flair to it with the guitar playing and the horn work (sounds very Mariachi style). As with Mercy, this one has the "change the world/save the world" lyrical theme. It's a really well put together/produced/mixed song. I may be in the minority, but I like the kids in the choir. It's nice and mellow and I think fits well mid-song after Tim's guitar. Really love Jeff's sax work on the jam at the end.

5. Sweet - Sweet is probably one of my favorites off this album. Ever since I heard it in Chicago at the Caravan in 2011 I've loved this song. It's simple, but really beautiful. Hopeful, encouraging, motivating. The lyrics aren't deep, but can be interpreted a number of ways. For me, as a father, it really connects with me as my daughter just started to learn how to swim, but I can also apply it to a number of parts of my life when I feel overwhelmed. I absolutely love when the jam comes in at the end, it's such a great feel and mellow vibe. My only complaint, and not really a complaint - but I wish that jam had went longer. I don't know why they cut it so early. As this song develops live that jam is going to be beautiful. Boyd's playing and the horns are great, it's such a nice little jam.

6. The Riff - The Riff has a really retrospective/reflective vibe to it. It has a dark vibe to it, it's a very deep song. This is a song that was right for this time. It isn't a song the 20 year old Dave Matthews could have wrote, this is something written by a traveler who has seen the world and everything in it. I'm really liking the lyrics on this one, such as "Funny how time slips away. Looking at the cracks creeping across my face. I remember the little kid living in here. He'll be living in here probably until I'm dead." and "I got dreams to kill and people to forget." Musically it's a heavy hitter. Tim really shines on this one. The jam in the outro is vicious.

7. Belly Full - Belly Full is a very short but pretty little song. It reminds me a lot of #40, it's small but it says what it has to in a small place. Simply Dave saying, "If I could, I would." It sounds like a pledge a man would make to a woman he loves, and he's offering him all he can. I think this song can be brought out more live in the future, but as far as on the album - it's great.

8. If Only - If Only was the 4th song I heard on the album after listening to the tapes of 6/3/2012 Blossom show. I absolutely love this song, it sounds even better on the album (as could be expected). I like the tempo of this song, it's a nice mellow little song. It has a very Sugar Will type vibe to it. The horn line is very chill but present. It has a 90's vibe to it but also a very motown feel as well.

9. Rooftop - Rooftop is a very heavy hitting song, very in your face with a vicious jam and some great musical composition. It has a very classic rock/80's rock vibe to it. Loving Tim's guitar on this one. I really like the hook, very catch. "I....I want you to.....tell me that you want me, you want me...." The horns in the end are killer. The bridge and the outro are very well done. I agree with a lot of the Dreams of our Fathers/Fool To Think/Get In Line references about this song, I pick up that as well. Rooftop really has that "new DMB" vibe to it though, it shows the direction the band has been moving and the lineup with Jeff, Tim and Rashawn really adds a lot to this song and shows the newer DMB sound in it's most full form.

10. Snow Outside - I really like Tim's guitar on this one as well. The slide works beautifully in this song. The lyrics are very loving, and beautiful - it really brings a smile to my face just listening to it. The outro is great, and very well done. Just sitting back with a good set of headphones and listening to it, sometimes I click the beginning of it and just listen to the outro over and over again. It has a great groove to it. Live, I think this song will translate well as D&T, but I think full band it's also going to rock live and that outro and just grow and grow in the live environment.

10. Drunken Soldier - I like the little commercial/jam before Drunken Soldier - it makes me think of what DMB must be like in the studio, Dave's sitting there jamming away with Carter talking in the background then Stefan comes in - it's just a cool little jam. Ever since I first heard about Drunken Soldier and how "epic" it was going to be, I don't think it could ever live up to the hype that it was being surrounded with. All the talks of "Pink Floyd" and "Dark Side Of The Moon" and whatnot. Without that, I think I would have went into this song differently. It's not a bad song, I just think without the hype I'd have a different appreciation for it. That being said, Drunken Soldier is a REALLY amazing song. It's not "epic" to me in the sense of Bartender or The Last Stop, but it's a really well done song. Boyd's violin in the beginning is absolutely beautiful, very haunting. This song has a lot of valleys and ups and downs, it's kind of all over the place, but I think as a whole it's a well put together song. The lyrics sound very reflective/retrospective much like The Riff, but this seems like something Dave would want to pass on, as if to say, "If you remember anything I've said/sang, remember this." For a 10 minute song, it passes by really quickly, I almost can't believe it's over when it's done. Live I see this growing into a 20 minute song easily. It's a very layered song and very well produced. I really like the, "Make the most of what you've got, don't waste your time trying to be something you're not. Fill up your head, fill up your heart and take your shot. Don't waste time trying to be something you're not." The outro on this one is great, a mellow jam - love the horns and Tim's guitar again. If you're listening to the album front to back, I think with the Broken Things opener that comes in hard, the Drunken Soldier outro is a good bookend with the mellow close.

That being said, Away From The World, as a whole, is a great piece of work from DMB. There isn't a song on here I don't like or that I skip. When I listen to it, I'm not going in to pick out my favorite song, I usually start at the beginning and jam from Broken Things to Drunken Soldier. I've listened to this album over and over again since I got it yesterday - at home, in the car - no matter where I am it always makes me smile. I just couldn't be more thrilled with Away From The World. Tim's guitar is a great addition to this, Boyd is more present and it's nice to hear so much from him, Jeff and Rashawn's horn line adds some great grooves and some sick jams, Dave's voice is great and Stefan and Carter grooving along. This album is very reflective and retrospective. A kind of look back, but also leaving thoughts and wisdom of what Dave's learned and what he wants to impart to others. It's hopeful, it's uplifting, and it's beautiful work. AFTW is everything I had hoped it would be and I couldn't be more satisfied.

On the vinyl edition - if you're a vinyl collector, it's definitely worth picking up. It says it's "Limited Edition", though I'm sure they mass produced quite a lot of them. The clear vinyl is really cool, it's neat to see lots of companies getting into limited color releases, and this is no exception. The sound quality is decent, but nothing great, I use a Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable and it didn't sound too bad, about as clear as the CD version (mainly because it was cut from the CD master). The vinyl sound quality is very clear, but warm with very little fuzz. I've heard issues from other people about getting warped vinyl, but mine was perfect upon arrival - no warping or center issues. My only complaint about it, which isn't really a complaint, is the sticker on the front promising a free mp3 download of AFTW. When I opened the gatefold, I didn't have any information about it, or a slip of paper with a code or anything - so no way to download the tracks. No bother, I had the CD too, but I wish the packaging would be more clear about this or include a slip of paper with info about how to download the tracks.

The vinyl is clear. Even though it says "limited edition" in some stores, and some don't list it as "clear", they're all clear. The album is listed on the Warehouse (DMB Fan Club site, where I bought the album) as being 180 grain. It doesn't say that anywhere on the vinyl nor does it say otherwise, so I'm taking their word for it on that one.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2012
After having been fairly disappointed by Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King (I didn't dislike it, but it was yet again a departure from the jazzy DMB I had fallen in love with), I thought Away From the World was a beautiful return to the sound that I love. More than anything else, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how marvelous the production is. It is REALLY well put together--kudos to Lillywhite, production-wise, it's their best album since Before These Crowded Streets! There are a few rock and roll explosive tunes, some edgy tunes and some beautiful jazzy ones. Dave's vocals are crisp and smooth, Boyd is back on the acoustic violin and it sounds fantastic, the horns are beautiful, and Tim isn't the overpowering electrical influence he was on Big Whiskey. Drunken Soldier is just incredible ("that's not a star, that's a satellite"). The outro is eerily reminiscent of Pink Floyd and it's hard not to start the album all over once you hear it cover to cover.
on September 11, 2012
3.5 Stars

After a few listens to this album, I have to ask, where's the energy? Part of DMB's problem is they always sound better live than in studio, but in the past they have at least brought some sort of energy to their in-studio recordings. Listening to this album really has me longing to hear the tracks live (which perhaps the band realized since they included three live renditions in the deluxe version) With this album, it just lacks that something special. The band did a terrific job on Groo Grux of not only bringing some excitement but incorporating all the band members consistently, something they hadn't really done since Before these Crowded Streets. So.... having said all this, I do like many of the songs on this album, number one being the incredibly beautiful "Sweet," It's the kind of song that makes you want to cry but also smile with happiness. Equally good is "Belly Belly Nice," one of the few tracks that brings some semblance of energy to the album (Rooftop also does a decent job). "Mercy" and "Gaucho" are also tracks I think most fans will enjoy.

Most of the current reviews are hailing this album as a return to their 90's sound (or at least a homage)... I would have to say Groo Grux was that return, and Away from the World is more in the tradition of Before These Crowded Streets, but much much more experimental... a lot of tracks will take time to sink in and endear you to them. For fans "just tuning in" to DMB (all 3 of you), this is not the first album I would get. I am not sure where this album will fall in my rankings of DMB records, but for now I can say it's at least better than Everyday and probably tied with Stand Up(though that one had a lot of energy as well but just a little bit too much polish).
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2012
8 Track Warehouse Edition Bonus CD 2012

This CD is now Out of Print!
Brand New Still Sealed CD direct from the
Dave Matthews Band Warehouse Fanclub!

Bonus Disc Tracklist:
If Only 3
Rooftop 3
Snow Outside 4
Drunken Solider 4

The music often utilizes unique song roadmaps, time signature changes, metric modulations, great ensemble unison play, interesting and unorthodox harmonies for Rock. I very much enjoy what this band does and its ability to make its listeners think a little harder or appreciate a little more what is going on musically. Dave's voice here is more accessible throughout the entire album. The production value sounds great, and there is some interesting layering going on throughout that is sort of a mind trip.

Notes:
-5:58 Drunken Soldier, tip of the hat to Dark Side of the Moon.

-I've read reviewers here saying that Boyd hasn't been getting enough soloing time, and others who say that he finally has gotten enough. It seams clear to me that he is not very prominent in this album. This is OK with me because he is clearly the weakest musician of the group and much of his soloing can be mundane. Here he proves worthwhile as a "feature," or in unison ensemble play. He does have a solo in the first song.

-Horns and Tim Reynolds are especially tight and increase the average talent of the group. Tim Reynolds is especially pleasurable to listen to. He will step out into the lime light for a rock solo, but he spends a lot of time meticulously enhancing the music without drawing undue attention to himself.

-Belly Full sounds very much in the style and sensitivity of Jack Johnson.

-You've got a good trumpeter in Rashawn Ross. Why no real solo?

-Carter Beauford is pretty fun to listen to as always. Here he opted to play closer in line with his live playing than his more restrained playing of past albums. He pulls out some fun stuff new stuff (Gaucho 1:17-1:20) but can be too distracting as usual. For example, I'm growing weary of the mundane 32nd note hi hat fills that plague nearly every song.

-1:19-2:06 Drunken Soldier sounds like a classic feature of DMB, where you have series of accents over a river-like acoustic part. This is in the same spirit as the UTTAD Warehouse intro, or basically any Two Step intro.

My favorite part:
The transition from verse to chorus in Guocho, where Chorus snaps into 4/4 and gives a sense of urgency and forward momentum to the music. It seams in perfect accord with the lyrics "We've got to do much more than believe, if we really want change things."

Overall a pretty good album with some nice new ideas. It shows, with a few exceptions, this band is continuing to evolve and, as far as the compositions go, refusing to rest on their laurels.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am a DMB fan. I own over 20 DMB CDs. Some of the music is lewd, some is crude, some is inspired and some is epic. I don't know what is up with this latest offering? A lack of inspiration? Too much intoxication? Just plain lack of interest? Every time I play this album I like it less! (And Big Whiskey was so great!) Even Joni Mitchell has her "Boom Boom Pachyderm" lyrics on her stellar Hejira album, but Dave's "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Jack fell down and broke his crown cuz he was messing with the preacher's daughter," has no redeeming quality that I can detect. Sorry Dave! You lose! (And I thought it couldn't get any worse then the "Dixie Chicken" and "Tennessee Lamb" in Crash!)
on June 11, 2013
decent album, not a whole lot of noteworthy songs with the exception of 1 song. they have had better albums in my opinion.
on June 10, 2013
If you're looking for more of "Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King" you'll be quite disappointed. If you're looking for an album full of songs like "Ants Marching," "Too Much" or "Why I Am" you'll also be disappointed. The closest thing they come to a "big" sound on this album is on "Belly Belly Nice." This album is all about subtlety - the kind of subtlety you won't hear on the first listen. Do yourself a favor and get this fantastic album and play it several times before you judge it. By the time you've listened to the entire set 3-4 times you won't be able to get any of it out of your head. Not a weak track on the entire album. Awesome job DMB, please don't stop innovating and crafting quality tunes!