Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Grand Theft Auto IV [Download]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Software Download|Change
Price:$4.99

on November 7, 2012
I've personally had a lot of fun with this game. If you enjoy the GTA series, graphically it does not get any better than this on the PC. Unfortunately, I've read quite a few reviews here on Amazon that said the download experience was a bit of a pain. If you'd like to download it directly from Steam after purchasing from Amazon, try this:

1. When you first purchase the game on Amazon, if it prompts you to download it, decline. All you will need from Amazon is the Product Code generated when you purchase the game.
2. I already had an existing Steam account, so if you don't, create one first and download the client software from their site. You will need a Steam account regardless of how you choose to install this product.
3. Go to the "Your Games and Software Library" page of the "My Account" section in your Amazon account.
4. Copy the "Product Code" listed under your game.
5. Open up Steam, and click "Add a Game".
6. Choose "Activate a Product on Steam".
7. You will need to click though a couple of prompts, then will be asked for the Product Code. Paste the code your copied from Amazon in step 4.
8. This game will then be added to your Steam Library, and you can download and play the game.

I've done this for quite a few games over the years and have had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy the game!
55 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2012
Just like the previous titles in the series you can run around aimlessly in the city causing havoc. Don't get me wrong that's fun and all but a friend actually got me into a MOD for the game and that's why I finally broke down and purchased it. The mod is called LCPD:FR and it a complete role reversal from normal GTA. In the mod you play as a police officer instead of some random thug terrorizing the city. You can be dispatched to calls, make traffic stops, issue tickets and even get into high speed pursuits and various other things going on around the city.

I never knew that GTA:IV had such a large mod base and for that I rated it high. I would have most likely given the game a five except it is notorious for crashing often and Windows Live also causes issues on most pc's. One note though if you intend to use this game on Steam you MUST select the Steam version since the standard cd key will not work. Other than that its a great game and worth the price.
on January 2, 2014
If you've read through the reviews here, you might be thinking GTA IV for PC is a total waste of money. It's not. It is an awesomely detailed game that is fun to play for hours on end. Now for the technical bit...

What seems to have happened is a majority of these reviews were written when the PC version first came out, which was back on December 3, 2008. It seems a lot of people had issues getting the game to run smoothly, or run at all. Why? Read on.

After having read through many of the reviews, and buying and playing the game successfully myself, I've come up with 2 conclusions:
1) The game originally shipped with some bugs, which have since been fixed (bad job Rockstar Games).
2) In 2008/2009, the average home PC was not quite powerful enough to run the game well. Just because your system meets the minimum specs doesn't mean all software will run well on it. I'm not saying that's fair, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

Let's circle back to November 2013- when I bought the game, and was able to download & install it, and play it without issues. My PC isn't the best by today's standards:
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (quad core)
8gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Windows 7 64bit Pro

Bottom line: The game runs well 98% of the time. Occasionally it will crash. Hey, this is Windows after all.
If you enjoy the GTA franchise, and have a relatively new PC with a decent graphics card, you should enjoy this game.

The only reason I didn't give 5 starts is because a final release game shouldn't ship with bugs.
on May 27, 2014
This game is working fine on my Windows 8.1 laptop with Core i3 (3rd Gen) and Intel onboard graphics (HD 4000). I run it at 1600x900, but it should run even better if you lower the resolution. You will need Steam to play it, but that was not a big dealbreaker for me. The game will also pester you to make a Microsoft Live account to enable autosave - which I found a tad annoying. But the most important thing - it will not run as expected out of the box on Windows 7 and 8! I was stuck in a loading loop for eternity before I searched and found the solution. It is for these reasons that I deduct two stars.

SOLUTION:
1. Install Steam (you will need to make a free account if you dont have one)
2. Run Steam, log into your account and redeem the game using the code you get after you make the purchase (as mentioned in detail in another review)
3. Steam will now ask if you want to download and install the game. Select the destination folder and click next.
4. When the install is complete, click on the big "LIBRARY" label on Steam. Find the game "Grand Theft Auto IV" and right click on it, then select "Properties"
5. In the "Properties" window go to the tab "LOCAL FILES" and click on "BROWSE LOCAL FILES".
6. In the new window, open the folder named GTAIV
7. Download the file pastebin.com/F34AvP7b and copy it in this folder. Alternatively, make a new text file with the name "commandline.txt" and copy the following lines into this file:

-nomemrestrict
-Viewdistance 0
-Waterquality 0
-Waterreflectionquality 0
-Notimefix

8. This fix makes the resolution as 1024x768. If you want to change the resolution, just change the corresponding lines in the above text file. For example,
If you wish to change the resolution to full HD (1920x1080), make the following changes in the above file:
-width 1920
-height 1080
9. Your game should now work in Windows 7/8.

Peace
on November 19, 2013
The first time I bought the game and downloaded it, it wouldn't work; until I went through the internet and found the problem. Now it works! I thought I buy'd it for no reason. the game runs a little slow on my computer. it needs to be charging to run faster and smooth. the game is fun, the driving is a little hard. the graphics are very good. I don't like how the sound effects are, they seem "computer made" not real.
on May 3, 2015
The worst experience I've ever had with any PC game. Game code was bad. I had to basically Download a patch to bypass the game code all together. The game itself is GLITCHY and is the epidomy of bad ports. User generated content is the only reason to play this game. Story is not bad but not great. GTA San Andreas is Better and thank goodness for GTA V
on February 25, 2014
I don't even know if "Games for Windows Live" is even supported anymore. I bought this because I wanted to an honest citizen, buying a game that I know I'll enjoy (and have enjoyed in the past) but oh my goodness. What misery it was to get this up and running.

Eventually I figured what I was doing wrong, but then a couple of months of not playing later, I went back and couldn't run the game because of the licensing.

Why the heck would should one install both STEAM and GFWL? I spent numerous hours more going about making this work than I've spent playing the game.
on December 7, 2013
I first gave this game a one star review because of the cd key issue. After going on the Steam community I tried this option and I hope it helps.

This worked for me. I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit

1. Don't use the original cd key that you get when you first install it in Steam. Games for Windows Live will just say key is not valid.
2. Right click on GTA3
3. Select Properties"
4. Click on the third tab "Local Files"
5. Click on "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" at the bottom
6. Let it verify (May take 5 min or more)
7. After its done click close and right click on GTA3 and select CD Key

You should now have a new CD key from Steam. Write down the key and when asked replace the old one with it when asked and you will be good to go. It worked for me
on September 10, 2013
You are FORCED to use this horrible Windows Live crap to even save the game! You need to make unnecessary accounts and everything. Offline profile does not work! There is NO WAY to save the game, I even made a windows Crap account and still cant. I never should have bought this and will NEVER buy another GFWL game ever again. I don't want the social s*** or the damn GFWL S***!

Also you have to go through big hoops to get the game to recognize your actual computer specs and GPU, If you don't then it think's you have a low end system and won't let you change the Graphics settings past the absolute lowest. why this is the way it is, is beyond me...
on October 30, 2013
This game is one of the funnest games to mod ever. I bought it specifically to mod game files in order to create a whole lot of chaos. The graphics are much smoother and better than its console version, and graphics are easily changeable.

What I love about this game for pc is that when changing graphic settings, Rockstar included a "counter" to show how much more VRAM you can dedicate to graphics without causing performance issues.