ASUS A55A-AB51-RD 15.6-Inch Laptop (Red)
Color Name: RedStyle Name: Core i5Change

on August 27, 2012
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: Core i5Verified Purchase
This is a 3rd Generation Intel processor combo, CPU/Graphics ... smaller die size means runs cooler, faster, better graphics, longer battery life. This model has 4 GB RAM ... I added 4 GB more (make sure the added memory is 1600 mHz frequency not 1333. The screen is bright and clear, though I don't know how color accurate it is. The keyboard is excellent ... the touch pad requires only a light touch, but is tricky when typing a lot. When keyboard adapter is plugged in, can setup to auto turn off pad, nice. I prefer an external mouse. Speakers are okay (for a laptop, but no bass frequencies). External Speakers are obviously much better. Wlan (WiFi) has good range. Though I am adding an Alfa wireless range extender...for use in boonies ... see below (1). Camera and microphone are fine for Skype like chats. No bluetooth, but it can be added via USB 2.0 adapter. SD camera card reader is actually SDHC ... I like the new USB 3.0 ports ... two of them and one USB 2.0 ... total of three ... nice.

Overall, a well made, great performing laptop by ASUS ... fast, runs cool and has reasonable battery life for a non SSD storage drive system. Tons of storage ... 750 GB HHD ... Pricing is very competitive. The instant on is really nice. I prefer ASUS build quality, reliability and customer service... one of the best in the industry.

Amazon customer service has also been outstanding on this and many other items I have bought. Cooperative and helpful.

(1) Alfa AWUS036H High power 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g High Gain USB Wireless Long-Rang WiFi network Adapter with 5dBi Rubber Antenna and a 7dBi Panel Antenna and Suction cup / Clip Window Mount - for Wardriving & Range Extension by Alfa
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2012
Color Name: RedStyle Name: Core i5Verified Purchase
Pros:
-Good battery life (3 hours on high performance)
-No bullshit bloatwares on setup
-Graphics can handle most graphically taxing games on low-med settings
-Great processor for everyday uses
-Comfortable keyboard, great screen
-Simple design, sleek looks

Cons:
-Touch screen a bit too sensitive, delicate to the touches
-Mediocre built-in speakers

For those of you who are looking for a work laptop without heavy tasks such as video editing or hardcore gaming, this is a great laptop. Furthermore, this laptop can handle games such as WoW, Guild Wars 2, and Starcraft at Medium-low settings at 40-50 fps, which is good. Great price for a versatile entertainment laptop
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2012
Color Name: RedStyle Name: Core i5
The specs are pretty good and i'd say you get what you're paying for. what's not mentioned above is that the sodimm is expandable to 8gb, and the graphics card is a 1gb, and it's got a usb 3.0 and insta-on.

Good comp runs everything smoothly and i've doing a lot of heavy STATA data analysis and massive excel sheets. the battery life is about 2.5 hrs (pretty bad), and the WORST thing about this computer is that the SPEAKERS ARE ON the BOTTOM!!! WTF?! why would you do that? so when i put the laptop on my lap...I can barely hear any sound on full volume!
I didn't realize how wide this computer actually is...it's got that number pad on the side too so just make sure you want that.

and the smart touch thing is retarded...i have had to disable touch click b/c my cursor keeps redirecting while typing.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2012
Color Name: BlueStyle Name: Core i3Verified Purchase
My wife has had an HP laptop for several years. It had Windows Vista as the operating system. I have an Acer laptop and an HP desktop, both with Windows 7 installed. My wife's computer was fairly slow and didn't talk well with my Windows 7 home network, so when my grandson needed a laptop to do homework on, I jumped at the opportunity to give him the Vista laptop and get a new laptop for my wife with Windows 7 installed.

After having two HP computers (laptop and desktop), I am not enamored of HP computers, so I was looking for something else that had good ratings (on Amazon of course). I like my Acer laptop, but the keyboard is kind of chintzy - it flexes a little when you type. Reading reviews on Amazon and Consumer reports, I decided to try an Asus brand laptop. I wanted something with a large enough screen that my wife could comfortably read and that didn't take up a huge amount of counter space since the laptop sits in a countertop desk in the kitchen. 15.6-inches is the same as her old laptop, so that is why I picked that size. Amazon had a good choice with the right options and processor and the blue color stood out as my wife's favorite. So, for all the reasons above, I picked this laptop.

The laptop came boxed and packed well. No problems with damage. It is beautiful. The blue is rich and everything seems of high quality. I had a lot of fun customizing it for my wife's use. I took off all the crapware and added the programs I like to have on my computers - like OpenOffice - a free clone of MS Office and other similar programs that we use every day.

This laptop is fast and has solid hardware. It has not given me any problems and my wife likes it a lot. I would buy another Asus after my experience. One slight issue I have with the case is that the back sits a little low for me. This makes the keyboard face upward at a fairly high angle for my tastes. I would like to see the back end raised a little higher so the keyboard is slanted more towards the user. That makes it easier for me to find the keys with my palms resting on the counter. I am 6'-2" so I sit a lot higher at the counter than my wife who is only 5'-1". However, my wife says it is fine with her, so that is what counts.

This is a great PC - boots fast, has a lot of zip, runs everything that I need to run and I cannot say anything bad about it. I think it was a great buy.
on October 9, 2012
Color Name: PinkStyle Name: Core i3Verified Purchase
This laptop has everything I need - decent integrated graphics, fast CPU, upgrade-ability, won't burn my legs... on the surface, it ticked all the checkboxes. But I had to return it because of the space bar.

I type A LOT and my wife types a lot, too. She's going to use this laptop for school, and a spacebar that works 30-50% of the time isn't going to cut it; school papers with words mashed together that requires double- and triple-checking to correct is a deal breaker. I don't have the time and I have plenty of things that frustrate me in life, a keyboard doesn't have to be (and will not be) one of them.

Sorry, Asus - I love your motherboards and video cards, but your laptop really, really let me down. I searched around and this is a pretty common problem with keyboards on Asus laptops, so I will unfortunately be going with a competitor's product.

If you plan on using this more like a desktop - connected to an external keyboard and mouse - and only need occasional portability, then it's a fantastic deal. But if you're an accomplished typist and need to rely on a keyboard that has a spacebar that works, I suggest you go elsewhere.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2012
Color Name: BlueStyle Name: Core i5Verified Purchase
Let me say that this laptop is a great value, as long as you don't mind potentially spending an extra 25 bucks on a new network card.

A few days past my ability to return for full refund, I began experiencing severe problems with the network card (Atheros AR9485). Apparently this particular card is notorious for going on the fritz. I tried several solutions like re-installing drivers, changing power settings, etc etc and nothing has helped in the least. As I don't want to shell out the dough for a new laptop, I am forced to replace the network card.

I am frankly surprised ASUS didn't catch this problem after hearing so many good things about them as a reliable computer manufacturer. My only other complaints might be that it needs to have dedicated volume buttons. Other than that, the rest of the computer is working beautifully.

The network card issue may not happen to you, but don't be surprised if it does.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2012
Color Name: WhiteStyle Name: Core i3Verified Purchase
This is a great laptop for the price and I consider ASUS as the best computer manufacturer in the world; I trust them my eyes closed. But they really failed with the speakers of this laptop, why would anyone put speakers UNDER the laptop?? The sound sucks and I use my laptop for listening music and watching movies a lot; with these speakers you cannot do any of these. If you plan to use this laptop with headphones or earphones don't hesitate to buy, I did my research and as of today this is one of the best laptops you can find in terms of performance/price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2012
Color Name: WhiteStyle Name: Core i5Verified Purchase
I bought this laptop about two months ago but didn't do a review for it. I figured I might as well make it because this is a really good laptop.
My previous laptop was a cheap Toshiba satellite that looked more like a toy than anything else.
This laptop has met all my needs in entertainment, gaming, and working. I can't live without it anymore.

The speakers are pretty loud even if they are at the bottom, maybe I just have sensitive hearing.

On gaming I have played a couple of games without a problem with this computer. Of course they weren't set to super high settings, I'm not a graphics wh**e. The settings were generally medium or low with some games on high.
I have played:
-Skyrim (low-medium settings)
-Portal 1 & 2 (high settings)
-LOL (online game) (medium settings)
-Team Fortress (online game medium-high settings)
-Alice Madness Returns (medium settings)
-Dead Space 2 (medium settings)
-Diablo 3 (high settings)
-Tomb Raider Underworld (medium-high settings)
-Vindictus (online game high settings)
(the settings are from what i faintly recall though diablo, vindictus, and portal 1&2 i can remember vividly)
I haven't played battlefield but I'm pretty sure an i5 processor with intel 4000 could handle it on low settings no problem.

I did buy a 4gig ram stick to put in and it just makes this computer that much more awesome.

currently I use it for playing video games, writing papers along with a moderate amount of multitasking, and streaming movies. I do a lot of other shenanigans and this computer keeps on impressing. It's definitely a good buy in my opinion for college, gaming, and entertainment
on October 2, 2012
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: Core i3Verified Purchase
I picked this laptop because of the Corei3 CPU and the 15.x inch screen. The CPU combined with the hdd are Super Fast! It opens apps in the blink of an eye. Photoshop CS3 loads in a second or so; you can't even read the credits. that's how fast it is. The resume in secs feature is also a gold star. I open the lid and the login screen is right there. the wide screen is great for working on network diagrams and doing lots of research. the keyboard is also very comfortable, speakers are loud enough. Streaming movies and watching them are great too. no lag time. of course I have/work on fast networks. Am very happy with it and a client of mine liked it too that she purchased the same model. Highly recommend it.
on September 12, 2012
Color Name: BlueStyle Name: Core i3Verified Purchase
Have been using this Asus for a few days following the usual very prompt and efficient Amazon ordering and shipping process. The computer appears well made, looks good and, with the exception of a little bloatware, was easy to setup to my needs. The keyboard, trackpad, DVD, and all USB ports work as they should. I like the keyboard. The screen is good, but perhaps just a little more resolution and brightness would be added benefits (I like a very bright screen).

Performance and speed are excellent. I added 4GB of 1600Mhz RAM which really boosted an already very adequately performing computer. I have had no issues and everything I've thrown at it, including video and photo editing, the Asus handled without a hiccup.

Overall I am quite pleased and feel, after some hours of researching laptops, this Asus represents a really good bang-for-the-buck.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question