Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ES File Explorer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

So what is ES File Explorer, and why would you need it on a Kindle Fire or the newer Kindle Fire HD series? The Kindle Fire doesn't include a good file manager app, but this one works exceptionally well on this tablet device and other for help with navigating the directories and much more.

Windows users can look at this ES File Explorer as the equivalent of the Windows Explorer file management application and navigation tool that has been the operating system from Windows 95 on. Mac users should think of it being like the Finder on the Mac OS and OS X operating systems, which is responsible for the overall user-management of files and such. If you've never used the Windows Explorer on your PC or the Finder on your Mac, then in all honesty you might find this app to be of little use.

Speaking subjectively, I had downloaded this app in its earlier version here for the primary purpose of easily finding files on my Kindle Fire, and copying PDF files to the 'Documents' directory. Have also used it to upload a variety of JPG images to the 'Pictures' directory when I have photos to review with clients and friends, and it really works quite well with tasks like this.

If you download and install it, you'll find that the interface is deceptively smooth and easy to operate if you're used to using file management on a PC and on a Mac. But it can be somewhat dangerous in operation if you don't use common sense: if you don't know what you're poking at, leave it alone.

In addition to performing file management duties, some use it for installing third-party apps, for installing "sideloaded" apps onto the Kindle Fire, as there are wide variety of compatible apps from the Android market on the 'Net. In that sense, this app is probably the best available for those who want to take the Kindle Fire to the 'geek' level when looking for more from this device. But again, if you're unsure as to what you're doing, don't poke at it.

There are similar apps available here, such as File Manager (Kindle Tablet Edition) and File Expert; some are free and some are paid. If you are considering file management for your Kindle Fire, then these two are worth considering as well, but explore the features offered by each of them and see what best fits your personal needs. If you have a Kindle Fire HD device, be sure to check and see if the app is compatible, as it may change.

This review is based on my current use of ES File Explorer version 1.6.2.0, and features can change with new implementations and upgrades. Setup is very easy, but check out the images posted by the developer and you can see some of what this app can do for you.

If you own a Kindle Fire or the newer Kindle Fire HD device, ES File Explorer is an excellent file manager, and it's a free app here. There are hundreds of similar apps, some paid and some free, but this one beats many of them in terms of speed, features and stability. The integration is seamless and using it is very intuitive. This one is highly recommended.

9/29/2012; Updated 12/26/2012
99 comments| 982 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you are familiar with Windows Explorer or the My Documents / My Computer features of Windows, you will feel right at home with this app. It is easy to quickly maneuver around on the file structure of your Kindle Fire and you can copy, paste, delete, etc. to your heart's content.

I picked this up for free in the Amazon App store about a year ago, and as I type this review the app is still free - if you have been looking for a good Explorer or file management app for your Kindle Fire, there is no need to look further as you should grab this one right away!
88 comments| 634 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
The ES File Explorer has solved some of my more vexing problems with my Kindle Fire. For instance, let's say you download a pdf manual from a manufacturer. Kindle Fire handles that by keeping the item in the downloads folder of your browser.

Well, let's say you actually want that document, in your documents folder. ES File Explorer solves that.

Very intuitive, but be careful as you will now have the freedom to delete some very important files.

Access and control of your content is what ES File Explorer serves up, and it does it with a nice looking interface and customizable themes.
11 comment| 467 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2012
I bought the Kindle Fire for grad school to "organize" and keep my pdf's and research material on one device. The HORROR after two weeks of use, 30 pdfs, 5 textbooks, and 15 free ebooks later was maddening. I spent two days searching discussion boards before i finally picked up the buzzword "file manager" and searched for apps. Ijust downloaded this and almost cried with delight and relief. All of my documents instantly were uploaded and organized in folders with drop down list views like in windows explorer. Granted the naming convention for already exsting docs is a little annoying and I will probably spend my friday night renaming files, but its soo worth it! Now I have no more buyers remorse. This solves the "collection" and organizing documents problem new kindle users are facing.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
Needed this in order to get flash player/Dolphin Web browser for Kindle Fire HD. This was a necessary product to use.
on May 10, 2013
I have been using ES Explorer as my File Manager of choice for quite some time. I've tried other File Managers, and always found that they fell short in one way or another. Up until now, I have enjoyed ES Explorer immensely.

Until the most recent update. In an attempt to add tons of "bells and whistles", and (apparently) try to make the UI more "sexy", the developers have ruined what, for me, were the basic strengths of ES Explorer -- simplicity and cleanliness. One reason I chose it was because of its simple UI, which -- among other things -- allowed me to see ALL of my folders on a single (10.1" tablet) screen. Now, for some reason, they have chosen to space out the folder icons so that 80% of the screen is "white space" -- and I have to scroll 4 times just to see all of my folders! Oh, they added the ability to use "small icons" -- but that just reduces the size of the folder icon, and they are STILL spaced WAY out, making extremely inefficient use of the screen space. Then, they figured that they hadn't "stolen" enough screen space, so they added a side menu bar, a bottom left tool bar, a bottom right tool bar, and an upper menu bar -- all of which serves to reduce the "folder space even further. I feel like I'm running a Web browser with half a dozen toolbar plug-ins!

Then they decided that the previous interface was too simple, too direct, too intuitive. So they moved everything around, changed how you access various things, and basically added "taps" to get to almost everything that I got to directly before. All of the new "features" now mean that you have to sift through additional (unwanted) tool bars, menu options, and extra "taps".

Oh, they "pretty-fied" the screen -- added colors (making folders blue now, instead of the world-wide accepted standard of "manila folders" used everywhere else -- why do I want a blue folder????) If that's not enough, the text on the screen is now so small, I can barely read it on a 10.1" hi-res screen. (I would HATE to try to read this on a phone screen.) I now have to go back through all of my Settings and *try* to see if I can get this back to something I'm familiar with, something I'm comfortable with. I'm very disappointed with this update.

Here's a tip for *all* developers: when you come out with an "update" that completely (and radically) changes the entire UI, check during installation to see if a previous version was already installed. And then provide the ability to change back to the old UI, either with a Setting or a button click, or even do it by default. Radical UI changes are not "friendly". (And yes, I also refuse to use the Windows 8 Metro POS interface, too.) :)
33 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2013
I've been using this for a couple of years. It's always been good but this latest version is by far the best. There is very little it won't do. Connects easily daily to clouds - I'm using both sky and Google drive. Also connects to my laptop easily for easy transfer of files. Has an app manager - everything one would need.

And, for me this is NOT a minor point - no ads! I would have paid for this puppy.
on April 5, 2016
This app is very simple and helpful. It lets me delete useless files and junk files at the touch of a button! If you use a kindle fire, save yourself some time and get this app, you won't regret it.
0Comment| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2013
Like it much better than previous versions. I would tell you the version number but I can't find any way to access a 'Settings' menu to view the version number. I think it must be version 3.'something' because the app icon has changed and now says 'ES Explorer 3'.

Also don't like the fact that I have hidden a folder and now have no way known to unhide it.

I like the new progress display when transferring files.

Also don't like being able to set order of files (name/type/size/date/etc...). Maybe in 'Settings' menu that I can't find.

Would have given it all 5 if not for the 'don't likes' above. They are moving in the right direction with this app but they need to keep one thing in mind, if I isn't broken ... don't fix it.

Updated review:
My age is catching up to me and I guess I'm slowing down. Since the earlier review, I have found the missing menu (must have turned it off by accident in settings)!

Both complaints are resolved as is a testament to any well crafted piece of software. The 'Hidden List' selection at the bottom of the menu allowed me to 'unhide' both of my hidden folders.

Now if I could just figure out how to hide a folder from the KFHD7 'Photos' app.

Truly, this is the best file management app for noobies and more advanced users.
I am not sure how the Kindle creators thought you could adequately navigate around without an app like this - that provides just the right amount of data to navigate around your files, without too complex a process. Small, manageable and indispensable.