Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 6, 2012
I have been contemplating a serger for at least three months and have read plenty of reviews. Truthfully everyone directs you towards the entry level Brother, which is a great product but knowing the quality of Janome, I really wanted one. So far I have not been disappointed at all. The serger comes pre-threaded with white thread, of course I wanted to finish something in black so instead of doing the "easy way" of threading (tying off on the previous threads), I decided to thread the machine myself. The DVD is great to have since I loaded in my laptop and was able to pause and rewind on demand as I was figuring out how to thread the machine. I only had difficulty threading one of the loopers (the Upper Looper thread) but eventually was able to successfully thread all four cones and start serging.
I love the serger! it's easy to use, easy to adjust the double knifes are extremely sharp (first project was with denim), and amazingly quiet (at least to me). I highly recommend this machine as an entry level serger. I have recently begun to sew (only about six months ago) and very much enjoy doing clothing - I think that if that's your primary objective with sewing, a serger is a must.
11 comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
My husband purchased this for me for the holidays this last year. I sew, a lot, and he knew this would save me some time (plus it was on my amazon wish list). I couldn't be happier with this machine. Once out of the box, I began using it right away (I should probably mention here that I had never, ever, touched a serger before then). Threading it was...an adventure! The included DVD and printed instructions are very handy. Highly recommended machine!

Update 5/14/2013
*A tip from a friend helped me a lot to get through the re-threading time sucker. Snip your existing threads at the top of the thread holder, near to the thread spool so there is plenty of 'tail' on the thread. Then take off snipped thread spools, drop in the new spools of thread, and tie them (in a knot) to the existing thread that is already threaded in the machine. Run the machine for a few seconds to get the new thread passed through, and viola! You've just saved a half an hour of time!
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2011
Opened the box, watched the DVD, played with a few scraps and had a knit top sewn up in under an hour! Easy to use and fine tune after watching the DVD, reading the manual and tinkering with tension controls. Lots of great serger/tension tutorials online too. Haven't had to thread the machine yet but color coded thread guides should help a lot. A great Janome machine at a really great price. Treat yourself and enjoy!
55 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2015
Let me start by saying I have been sewing for over 50 years. I got out of the habit while I was working, but returned after retirement, with failing eyesight. This is my second serger. The first, the Husqvarna Huskylock S21, was a big mistake. Although it had many great features that convinced me to buy it, it cost way too much ($950!), was difficult to thread, had tension problems, and sat collecting dust for two years before I finally parted with it, at a tremendous loss. I thought my days of serging were over, but after a year or so, I wanted one again. I decided to go with a much cheaper machine with fewer features, hoping that it would be easier to thread and use. This Janome is a winner. I studied the reviews, and found it was even recommended for children and people with arthritic hands. This machine came threaded and ready to sew right out of the box. My first piece of fabric made a perfect seam. The instructional DVD is useful for explaining in great detail how to use each feature. (By comparison, let me just say the DVD that came with my expensive Huskylock was worthless. It only ran on a computer, and gave no advice on how to use the individual features, only how to thread it.) I hope this little serger lasts a long time, but only time will tell. If I get lucky and don't break any thread anytime soon, I can avoid having to thread it for awhile (using the pull-through threading method), but even so, it looks really easy compared to the Huskylock. I will update as time passes.
review image review image review image review image review image
on May 28, 2012
I bought this product about six weeks ago. I have serged a handful of projects on it. I am very pleased with it. I have re-threaded it, used the standard stitch and rolled hem. All have gone smoothly. I am an experienced sewer, but this is the first serger I have owned. I sense a whole new world of creativity coming my way!
on October 17, 2013
I've owned three sergers and the Janome is the best of the lot. Their quality control is better than most. My other sergers arrived with the tension disks preset to their optimum setting, but the setting were all over the place. No attempt had been made to adjust the machines so that there was consistency in relation to each other. So the lower looper was at 7 and the upper looper at 3 and the right needle at 5 and the left needle at 8. Huh? The Janome tension disks were uniformly set at 3 -- all of them. And it was the correct tension.

The machine has worked flawlessly. BUT, the lower looper thread is difficult to get through its path, and it doesn't get better because the problem is that it is difficult to reach, not understand.

I'd buy the Janome 8002D again because it works so well, but I might first search for a Janome model that is easier to thread.
on February 12, 2013
Came pre threaded which was great because it looks harder to thread than other surgers i have used. Sewing quality is great and i have no complaints with the results. It has very quiet operation and little to no vibration during high speeds.
on November 5, 2012
This is my first serger and it does a good job! Easy to use and maintain. I would recommend this serger to friends.
on May 21, 2014
I love this machine. Was intimidated when I first pulled it out of the box. Watched the dvd and was no longer confused. I have never used a serger before so the dvd was extremely helpful. I did a lot of shopping around before I bought this. This appears to be a very sturdy and well made machine. Very happy whith my choice.
on January 5, 2013
This machine is a joy to use compared with my old one. So much easier to thread and the setting are very easy to change.