Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Now Deal of the Day

on October 10, 2005
"There is indeed, no single quality of the cat that man could not emulate to his advantage." Carl Van Vechten

This book will make you life, cry and wonder in amazement at the bravery, intelligence, independence and sensitivity of man's other best friend, the cat!

I spent an entire day alternately laughing, crying and cuddling my kitties while reading this book. I could not put this amazing book down. It is a must read for anyone that has ever been owned by one of thse amazing creatures!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2005
I settled in bed last night at about 9:30, intending to read one or two stories in this book before lights out. Flash forward to 12:30 AM and me propping my eyelids open with toothpicks as I promise myself "Just one more story."

This book is a gold mine for feline lovers. A well-established cat fanatic, I didn't think I could read anything that would make me love cats even more, yet this book did it. I was touched, moved, humored, and enamoured all over again with our furry feline friends.

A quick disclosure - I have 2 stories in the book. But since I don't make additional money if the book sells or not, I hope this review will be taken at face value. I would snatch this book off the shelves and give it to any cat lover, any day. I'm very pleased to be a part of such a fine collection.
on February 2, 2006
Being a cat lover - and the proud parent of 3 handicapped kitties - I gasped in delight when I came across CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE CAT LOVER'S SOUL. This anthology combines over 100 stories of love, friendship, mystery, rescues, and more, and each story - anywhere from 2-6 pages each - packs a lot of punch, and enough emotion to have even the most composed person shedding a few tears. If you are a cat lover, this is a can't miss book, that will spend numerous hours by your side. A wonderful anthology that should be shared with the special cat - or cats - in your life.

Erika Sorocco

Book Review Columnist for The Community Bugle Newspaper
on October 2, 2005
I love all of the "Chicken Soup" books..they are well-done...heartfelt...I take this book with me everywhere...for a little "soul candy"...I'll be in a restaurant on my lunch break, while tears stream down my face straight from my heart. If you're in need of a tug at your heart...grab this book, and hopefully, have a cat to snuggle with ( or 2 or 3) and enjoy!
on January 17, 2006
Keep a box of tissues handy when you read this book. This book will make you cry tears of happiness and unfortunately sadness. From the impishness of kittens to the regal mystery of adult cats, our feline companions never cease to captivate our hearts and imaginations. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul celebrates our feline friends, and the people who love them, in all their varied splendor: their independence, their msystique, their playfulness, and, yes, even their disdain.
on October 5, 2005
I laughed, cried, sighed, and thrilled over this wonderful collection of short stories about those ubiquitous "fur persons."

And, as one of those lucky souls who was invited to be a reader/judge of the finalists for publication, I am delighted to see so many of my favorites included in this collection. Hopefully, they'll be more installments of Chicken Soup anthologies for the legions of feline enthusiasts. This book is definitely a must have for anyone who loves cats and good short stories.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I would recommend this book to anyone, especially those dastardly dog-lovers who think cats are aloof & inferior. I do have to issue a warning about the chapter titled 'Farewell, My Love' though - don't read it if you are feeling vulnerable! It is very, very, very, very, very sad. I think the other reviewers have significantly underrated the 'crying element' to this book. My husband came home to find me red-eyed, shaken & exhausted after spending an afternoon in this particular chicken soup! Luckily there is a lovely, warm chapter about rescue kitties right after it which helps to restore one's equilibrium somewhat. All in all, it made me love not just my own babies more but all cats!
on March 25, 2007
I received this book from my vet after I had to put my cat to sleep because of cancer. At first I couldn't read the book because I cried after reading each story. After a few weeks I decided to try again and started reading. I still cried, but this book made me realize just how much love and companionship is offered by our four-legged friends, and how much I really appreciated the time I had with my cat. This is must for all cat lover's.
on February 17, 2014
Being a Cat lover i purchased this book just to add to my collection of all things feline.
I just enjoy reading other peoples perceptions and experiences to add to my own about cats. Cats are such a polarizing animal, many of us cat people tend to flock toward others just because we share that sense of wonder with our furry feline friends. You either like cats or you dont. there is not many in-between people. :) just my 2c.
The book is typical to many other "soup for the soul" books short stories by supposed amateurs that are grouped into "chapters" based around the theme of the short stores.
Many of the stories are heart felt and genuine. You get pulled into the life of the person in the short span of 2 pages of story. Truly enjoyable. You can feel their joy and their sorrow, i found myself laughing and shedding a familiar tear as well.

The only object i took to the book is the poorly way the book is edited. It appears to me as a professional cronyism between the editors and the writers on some of these stores. to me, this detracts from some really great stories.
there are several stories you read and wonder 'where is the cat in the story" or why is this in here.. there are at least 3 professional authors that i can recall of the top of my head, who opine about their lack of book sales and throw in a cat to make the story fit the narrative. "oh i saw a cat crossing the street at my book signing"
As typical to a certain demographic the writer goes on and on to inform the reader about her lifestyle and a cat is only mentioned 3 times in the story. my thoughts... look noone cares who you goto bed with. its a book about cats.
Also as typical, another goes on and on about the details of a violent act without ever adding to the success of the rescue.
my thought.....Look we get it, you dont like guns. what happened to the cat?

maybe im overly critical, i do not mean to be, i wanted to read about cats and their stories with their humans. Not a human story that throws in a cat for a royalty.
Over all i would think that most catlovers would enjoy the book. There are some truly wonderful stories that you can relate to in here. I am sure you will read about a cat that will remind you about your lost mittens or your furry friend Gizmo that crossed over the rainbow bridge or your new friend Sophie that opened your eyes what love and loyalty really mean.

If you can get this on the used market, its worth every penny just to purchase it and tear out the sections that make no sense to you, the reader.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm a cat person. I currently have two of my own and could only wish for more. So, on this streak of Chicken Soup books that I've been reading lately, it only seemed appropriate to read the Cat Lover's Soul book.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is filled with the normal short stories of the Chicken Soup series. They are broken down into different chapters titled, "On Love", "Celebrating the Bond", "A Furry RX", "Cat-Egorically Wonderful", "Cats as Teachers", "Farewell, My Love", "Rescue Me!", and "One of the Family." Each of these chapters has several short stories relating to the themes and of course, they are all about cats. There are stories of adopting special cats, cats alerting their owners to danger or illness, and many other things. I especially liked the story "The Call of the Lobster" about a cat who talks to a special toy, because one of my mom's cats does the same thing with a fuzzy ball she carries around. I knew she was strange, but at least she's not alone in her strangeness. There were other stories I didn't like though, like the one about a lady who rescued a cat with FIV and then after treating it at the vet let it roam with her other cats (yes FIV can be contained and treated, but it can be infectious and it seemed an unnecessary risk to her other cats).

I'm of the opinion that all cats are pretty wonderful. It's the owners that I sometimes don't care for. There are a lot of people out there that are just cruel to animals (including a story in this book where four teenage boys are practicing target shooting on a cat) and it hurts to read about people like that. Granted, there are just as many if not more wonderful people in this book who adopt cats and take care of them, so it does have that redeeming quality to it. But really, it's the cats that make this book worthwhile and it showcases them.

I will admit that there were quite a few stories in here that made me laugh or cry. The cat getting its head stuck in the garbage disposer (it was rescued successfully) made me giggle. But, despite there being a specific chapter for cat death "Farewell, My Love", kitty death was rampant through this book. I'm fairly convinced that the people at Chicken Soup aren't happy unless there's a death of a person, animal, plant, whatever, every ten pages or so in their books. Not sure what's so inspiring about that, but they've sold a lot of books so it much be working. I just wish there was more life than death in these books, especially this one since I appreciate my kitties being alive and don't want to think about their eventual deaths right now. Still, they had a lot of good stories in this book.

Overall this is one of the better Chicken Soup books. As a cat lover, I did enjoy it and read it in one sitting.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul