Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doctor Who: The Forgotten
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 17, 2009
Really enjoyed this story. The art can get uneven due to several artists being used, but it still ranges from good to great. The story is very interesting, featuring all 10 versions of the doctor, with small flashback stories for each incarnation. The writing captures the voice of the characters very well, without reading like a transcript of an episode.

It was a great story for someone like me, that only really knows the 9th & 10th doctors, but was interested in seeing more of the earlier versions (without watching boring old episodes on DVD... sorry, "The Five Doctors" put me to sleep!).

My only concern was that to understand every nuance of the story, you have to 1) have seen season 4 of the show, and 2) have a better-than-passing knowledge of pre-2005 Doctor Who stories. I have neither, and still really enjoyed the book; just bringing it up.

The book is worth the discounted Amazon price, that's for sure.
on March 13, 2010
OMG! I bought this book based on the Ben Templesmith cover art alone but I was also pleasantly surprised at quality of the story, which was quite good. I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels overall, finding most of them too goofy and oversimplified, but I've been reading a few of the Doctor Who ones just to see how they handle the writing and art of this long running show. *Note, different artists are used for the illustration, so it's not all Ben Templesmith--unfortunately* Still, The Forgotten graphic novel is done really well and I enjoyed it very much. I would say it's a must for David Tennant fans certainly, as the writers and artists really captured his portrayal of Ten, and most Doctor Who fans will enjoy the multiple doctors storyline. This story is actually one I wish they would film.
on February 14, 2013
Having read the very high reviews for this graphic novel, I waited anxiously for it to arrive, and once it did, I dug in right away.

Unfortunately, I just don't think this is as good as the hype would lead you to believe.

Take for example, the artwork. The cover of this comic is outstanding, and I was expecting similar-quality illustrations throughout. Not so. The inner artwork is much simpler and less "realistic", and I found it less involving.

Next, the storyline. It wasn't so much a storyline, really, as a retrospective. How can we work in every Doctor into this book, every companion? They crammed all that in, but with only so many pages, the result was a series of very small vignettes (about 3-4 pages per each regeneration). The ultimate reveal of the villain at the end, while unexpected, also made no sense to me whatsoever.

That said, the book does have its merits. The dialog for the most part feels very true to the original characters, which is no simple feat. They also managed to touch up a particularly awful bit of scripting in that dreadful Doctor Who: The Movie (Two-Disc Special Edition) (Story 160).

So, it's not all bad. Just lower your expectations. Me, I kind of went into it thinking "Watchmen" only with Doctor Who. Maybe it's just my unrealistically high expectations that got to me. Your mileage may vary.
on June 26, 2011
I purchased this series when it originally came out in comic book form, hoping from previews that it would be a delightful graphic novel romp through Doctor Who history. How sad I was to find this was not the case. One caveat to readers of this review, to be fair: I disliked the story so much that I cancelled my comics subscription before the final issue arrived, so I never saw how the story ended.

While the premise is intriguing--the Doctor and Martha find themselves trapped in a "Museum of the Doctor" of sorts, and need to find the solution to their problems sifting through the memories of the Doctor's past lives--it fell apart for me as soon as the trip down memory lane began. Many characters featured from the classic series are hideously out of character. For example, the second Romana throws a temper tantrum at the Doctor, saying she should have returned to Gallifrey, when she neither ever threw temper tantrums nor ever wanted to return to Gallifrey, something blatantly clear if you ever watched a single episode with her in it. If that example doesn't convince, how about Tegan hugging her Doctor and calling him "the greatest"? That's something anyone who's seen a 5th Doctor story knows must be entirely out of place. :)

Furthermore, I recall from previews and ads for the Forgotten that the series was intended to introduced newer fans to classic Doctor Who characters. However, the adventures which take place in the past are barely developed to give a real sense of the previous Doctors and companions. For example, this story might have been the first time some Doctor Who fans see Susan, the Doctor's granddaughter--surely this would be meaningful, yes?--and yet she has a few throwaway lines. The empty character representation and lack of development strongly suggests Tony Lee has seen only few, if any classic Who episodes, and only read some fan summaries of character histories. If he did actually attempt to research or watch the classic series before writing this story, then the consistently awful and shallow characterization is all the more inexcusable. I feel very sad to think this story convinces newer Doctor Who fans that they are now somewhat familiar with some of the classic series characters when they are really not at all. I would rather no one read this story than have such a poor exposure to the foundation upon which the current series is based. The only characters who are somewhat in character are Ten and Martha, and I wonder if Tony Lee would have been better hired to write a contemporary story rather than be asked to do the nostalgia tale.

The mediocre and inconsistent art does this story no favors either. The characters look very little like themselves, with a lot of inconsistency in proportions (including a notable panel in issue 3 where a companion's breast really is literally the same size as her head--and not in a particularly evocative way, either). I know the original artist, Pia Guerra, fell ill during working on the project, and the replacements don't do much better. Sure, illness and short notice are understandable reasons for poor quality, but regardless the end result reflects poorly on an already drab project.

Doctor Who fans looking for good Doctor Who comics will have their best results reading the comics featured in "Doctor Who Magazine." Newer Doctor Who fans looking for a quick peek into the classic series are better served watching brief introductory fan videos on Youtube (if they can't afford, of course, to watch the actual stories on DVD). Older Doctor Who fans looking for a nostalgia trip should do the same. All should steer clear of this mess. I realize I'm clearly in the minority compared to the other reviews on this project, but as someone who adores--and easily forgives errors in--most Doctor who media, personally I couldn't stomach this story at all.
VINE VOICEon May 11, 2014
if you are a fan of Dr. Who and graphic novels (and I can't help but think there's an overlap there) you should encounters. it's somewhat cheap excuse to engage in nostalgia for all the older Drs. and.their companions, cleverly worked into the story line. The primary story is a bit thin, like a few of the episodes, but fun.
on October 8, 2010
This graphic novel is a great, short read with different graphic designs throughout the book. I would strongly recommend this to any Doctor Who fanatics.
on September 17, 2013
For who fans, read it, the story is awesome ,Every doctor is revisited., The Tardis gets some love, the tenth doctor is great. When you meet the villain, you're like "flip you no" and then you like OK, I can live with that.
on March 16, 2013
All I can say is that this book is absolutely fantastic and well done.There's so much history with this character and they handle it beautifully.I also like how the book integrates the other nine doctors in the story.I would recommend this book to any Doctor Who fan.
on October 2, 2012
This was an enjoyable read, but I think that fans who are familiar with ALL of the Doctor's regenerations AND subsequent companions will get a little more enjoyment out of it than those who are only familiar with the last 3 doctors or those who are only passingly familiar with the older series.

I enjoyed all of the little cameo appearances that occur throughout the comic (at least those that I knew, I haven't made it through most of the old series yet). It is written well and manages to keep you guessing who the villain is up until the second to the last issue, and even then it gives you a solid "wait... WHAT?" moment.

The artwork is serviceable, it's not the most beautiful I've seen and it's not the worst I've seen. There were definitely moments where I thought to myself that the Doctor didn't look right or the companion didn't look right, but overall it's well done.

The following paragraph provides some story details, but there are no real spoilers, everything I discuss happens within the first issue.

The premise of the story, "Who is the Doctor without the memories of his past selves?", is definitely interesting and does have some promise but I don't feel it was really explored fully. In fact I never really felt that he was any different than he ever is, there was no real sense of loss when he supposedly forgets his past regenerations, especially since he begins remembering them (via flashbacks) almost immediately.

The setting of the story is very memorable, but again, I wish it was explored more fully. A museum dedicated to the Doctor? All of his exploits on display? How cool would that be?

Overall, the writing is good, the art is serviceable, and the ideas are excellent (amazing even), but the execution is lacking and the overall experience falls a little flat. 3.5 out of 5.
on December 5, 2012
Any item related to the outstanding scifi show from BBC is a welcome addition to any fan's collection. The television series broadcasts only a small number of episodes, so it is very cool to read additional stories.