Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Map of All Our Failures
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 17, 2012
First, the caution. Don't buy the MP3 version of the album from Amazon. At least not until they update it. Look at track #8. Amazon only has it at 2:51 and that is what you get if you download it. The track is really 8:39. Also, there is a bonus track available if you buy elsewhere - Track 9, My Faults are Your Reward. It is worth getting.

Now for the album. . . .I am a longtime MDB fan, going back to As the Flower Withers. I like all of their albums, though tend to prefer the earliest two and then the most recent string of albums. By now you are either into MDB or you are not. If you like them, this one doesn't disappoint. The one-two punch of Track 1 and Track 2 are worth it alone. Track 1 (Kneel Till Doomsday) has their best death/grind breakdown since "Sear Me" from As the Flower Withers, making for a very tense song. Then they move into Track 2 (The Poorest Waltz), which is a much lighter and melancholic, with some nice harmony work done with Aaron's voice. These two songs are great complements to one another that really capture the full spectrum of MDB. The rest of the album that follows is solid MDB at their best.

And if you don't know MDB, they are one of the best playing the melodic/melancholic/atmospheric side of the doom spectrum (as opposed to the sludgey-stoner dimension). Mostly clean, warbley vocals, interspersed with death growls (one of the best in the doom genre); slow, plodding, clean guitars that occasionally erupt with speed' complementary drum work (lots of rolls); all rounded out by a violin, organ, and other appropriate accompaniments. If that's your thing, MDB are among the best at it and this album is as good as any a place to start.
on October 18, 2012
Fans of My Dying Bride will feel right at home with this album, it has everything you expect and want from the masters of Doom Metal. Powerful guitar and drum combos as well as lamenting violins. The vocals are mostly Aaron Stainthorpe's classic half-spoken words, but there are some death growls too.

If you have heard the opening track "Kneel Till Doomsday" online already, it will give you a pretty accurate taste of the whole record. Compared to previous (at least more recent) albums from the band, there are parts that seem more raw and brutal here, not unlike the EP "The Barghest O Whitby" (2011). So I'd call the sound a more beastly version of "For Lies I sire" (2009), the latest full length.

The tracks that stand out are "Kneel Till Doomsday", "The Poorest Waltz", and "Hail Odysseus". I found parts of a couple of the other songs somewhat too slow and uneventful, but they grow on you after hearing them a few more times. And mostly they turn into something really interesting after a while. There are definitely some cool new melodies and sounds in these songs. But like I stated from the start, it's very familiar as MDB.
on October 22, 2012
There isn't that much that this band hasn't done. They deliver an emotional and dark style of music everyone else tries to imitate. That being said, it leaves them in a bit of a bind on what to do next. Some might have found "For Lies I Sire" a little short on potential(but it is still a great album) so I think the band felt a little heat for making this album to be a step above. And that is exactly what they did and they delivered in grand style. It only takes the first song to know you have a true killer My Dying Bride album. It truly stands with "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" and "The Dreadful Ones", just to name some of their best works. All aspects of My Dying Brides work is covered in "Map of All Our Failures": the complete vocal styles and ranges of Aaron, the haunting guitar harmonies, the keyboards and violin and epic songwriting that is theirs and theirs alone. My Dying Bride have so many great albums, it is almost impossibly to have a favorite since they manage to do what they do so well and so uniquely with every album. "Map of All Our Failures" continues a body of work unmatched by anyone else in metal. Album of the Year and then some!
on September 2, 2013
It's so awesome to see a band like this keep going after all the years that they've treaded on for. this is a great new album - i dont know what else to say about it. I've already heard that they plan to keep going forward - so there we mdb fans have it ....
Keep up the good work, MDB !!!!
on October 17, 2012
been following this band since their seminal debut in 1992. I consider their first 4 albums masterpieces and subsequent albums very strong; this band never disappoints. Like most of their output, this album is not instantly accessible but after repeated listens it reveals its rewards. Most notable on A Map is that Aaron has put much more time into his lyricism and vocal theatrics. Musically, this falls in line with Songs of Darkness Words of Light with hints of earlier albums. It's amazing that this band can make each album sound more depressing than its predecessor while still sounding fresh and unique. This won't be remembered as MDB's best album but it is a perfect display of them having honed their craft. Another deathless king to add to their exceptional line.
on May 2, 2013
I'm a huge fan of their early stuff, and a lot of their more recent offerings just don't enthrall me the way I anticipated. This album goes a long way toward redeeming them IMHO, and the upcoming EP sounds like it will take no prisoners.
on December 9, 2012
MDB is one of my favorite bands and "A Map of All Our Failures" does not disappoint. It has all the elements that fans have come to expect from a MBD album. Better than "For the Lies I Sire" but not as good as "A Line of Deathless Kings". Well at least in my eyes, or should I say ears.

The guitar tones and riffs on some of the songs come across as almost "grungish". Sort of Sound Garden/ Alice In Chains like. A bit odd to hear at times, but they still make it work. In fact I like to think of grunge as domm's slightly less depressed, more pissy little brother.

Over all, a good album. Not their best. It strays into the areas of cliche a few times, but doesn't stay long. But still a solid effort.
on December 20, 2012
It took me a few listens to really appreaciate this album (even after being a MDB long time fan) but now I can say this is a MUST for any doom metallers out there. I hear a lot of classic Bride here but in a modern way to say it somehow. I hear more violin this time, i hope they continue to use it more in future releases. "Like a Perpetual Funeral" is definitely an outstanding track, slow, melancholic, dark... great "feedback" guitar sounds here.. "Hail Odysseus" is simply a masterpiece, what a track!
Definitely recommended album. Aaron's voice is incredible, he didn't abuse of the "lamented" type of voice he made on last record and sounds more natural, deep and dark as usual.
on January 7, 2013
The more you listen to this CD the more it will grow on you. But I still feel it is missing that WoW! factor that I have come to expect from MDB. The CD almost feels like For Lies I Sire Part II. IMO I feel it is time for MDB to move on to another "experimental" type album for the next release. The slow, grinding, moaning element has been ongoing for too long now. They have always been a excellent band when they diversify their music a bit more (Example: Like Gods of the Sun). The last couple of albums have really been one dimensional and it is starting to bore me...
on October 23, 2012
As most would expect, this is quite familiar My Dying Bride material in as much as that there sound is mature and unique to them.
On the first few listens through it seemed to have a bit more in it to me than their last couple of albums but time will tell how this develops. This may also be in some ways due to the production, but the opening track "Kneel TIll Doosday" is certainly an attention getter. While there are many other great parts on this album, it is this first song that right from the start says "pay attention".
Would I say this is their greatest album ever? No.. I still prefer their first three full lengths personally. Is it a high quality album? Yes, for sure. Do I recommend that you buy this? If you are already a My Dying Bride fan, you probably already know what to expect and have made a decision to purchase this or not - so I do not expect to sway anyone there... if you are new to the band, check out the song mentioned above, "Kneel Till Doomsday"... if you like it then you will like this album I think.

Are you a collector type? Make sure you get the version with the DVD, the hour+ interview with the band members is interesting enough for a couple of $ more.

All in all, not an absolutely essential album, but a very good album that will sit well with a lot of their current fans... this may also be my favourite album of theirs that has been released in the 2000's.
4 stars for a strong album.