Most helpful positive review
11 of 11 people found the following review helpful
Skip Whistle, but the other two are stunning
on January 27, 2013
Two of the stories in the "Trilogy" are the unabridged "From Here to Eternity" (about soldiers in Hawaii in the months leading up to Pearl Harbor) and "The Thin Red Line" (about soldiers in Guadalcanal facing their first combat). Both are excellent stories, and each merits five stars. Since they're both famous, I won't say more about them here.
"Whistle" is another matter entirely. Jones died before he could finish it, so the last 10% or so is just an outline of the story. Even the other 90% of it is unpolished. Bits of text get repeated. A character speaks like a hayseed in one chapter but like a scholar in another. I seriously doubt the author wanted anyone looking at this; it's a one-star story, and I only say that about books (usually self-published) that I think shouldn't have been published at all.
Chronologically, Whistle happens *after* "The Thin Red Line" so I'm not sure why they placed it in the middle of this collection. If one is to read it at all, it should certainly be read last.
Arguably it makes more sense to buy "From Here to Eternity" and "The Thin Red Line" separately, assuming the pricing works out. Just be sure to get the unabridged ones; the original editors apparently cut a lot of "controversial" material from the original editions.