AmazonBasics Protective TPU Case with Screen Protector for iPhone 5 - Smoke
Color Name: SmokeProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingChange

on October 3, 2012
Color Name: SmokeProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
UPDATE
As many pointed out, the screen protector is bad. It's much harder to put on than other brands for some reason (don't know why because they use the same material..). The lock button works well IMO. Still, I'm lowering my review to 4 stars because of the screen protector and higher price point.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
I ordered this TPU case in smoke along with the clear cover case that Amazon is also selling. I usually don't buy items unless there's a substancial amount of reviews but I figured it's only 10 dollars and it's from Amazon so there should be no trouble returning them if there was something wrong with it.

The case fits well. It's snug enough that it won't come loose but it's also not too tight like some other cases (i.e. Poetic cases). The camera hole is large and all the buttons feel natural when pressed. I'm not a big fan of the large cutout on the bottom (my other case from TechArmor, which is very similar to this one, has separate cutouts which is nice), but at least you won't have to worry about your connectors not fitting. There is enough lip on the front of the case so the screen doesn't touch the surface when faced down. The case itself is made of TPU which is sort of a hard but flexible plastic. What I really like is that there's no obtrusive branding on it like many other cases.

I already have a screen protector on my phone so I did not install the included one. From the looks of it, It does seem to be anti-glare and lines up with the phone. From a subjective standpoint, the smoke goes really well with the white iPhone 5. Overall, another great, quality product by Amazon.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2013
Color Name: White RimProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
I got this case because it's very minimal and in. I generally prefer bumpers over full-blown cases. However, I would not recommend this case, at least in white. Mine began turning blue from putting it into my jeans pocket numerous times during the day. It looked great when it was new, but the staining ruined it, so I've gone back to a case I was using before I bought this one.
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2012
Color Name: White RimProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I decided to try out this Amazon basic case since I have a iphone 5 and finding a case initially was almost impossible. I have a white phone and like the clean lines of the AmazonBasics clear case. The plastic is somewhat glossy and provides ample protection. The buttons are all protected by the case and so are the silver areas around the port openings. I did like that. The one thing I did not like was the fact that after about a month, the case just took on a dingy appearance and started to look horrible. I have owned several white cases from other makers and have never experienced this other than on the AmazonBasics case and the Belkin white case I reviewed. Although I liked the coverage they provided, I would not recommend either case. I would recommend going with an Incase case if you are looking for a white case. The quality of the plastic is better and it will not pick stains like these do.
Color Name: SmokeProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
This case is not bad for the price but the fit is slightly loose around the screen.

It's a good 'interim' case but if you are willing to spend a more, you can get a much better case in another brand.
on July 4, 2013
Color Name: ClearProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love changing the case on my iPhone, and I was excited about this case, thinking maybe I could personalize it so I wouldn't feel the need to change the case so often. I have also had great experiences with other AmazonBasics products. Too bad this one was so far below expectations.

The case looks cheap when you put in on the phone. It looks nothing like the picture when it is on the phone. The phone is difficult to remove from the case as well.

The screen protector wouldn't loose all of the air bubbles, not matter much I scrapped it, and the little card that comes with the screen protector for scrapping didn't last until the bubbles were sufficiently gone.

I had this case on my phone for a couple of hours before the appearance of it drove me nuts and I had to remove it. In that two hours, the case got all scratched up from sitting on my kitchen counter and in my pocket.

I would recommend you avoid purchasing this case!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got this for my wife. She wanted a clear case so she could put a picture in the case and have her own case design. She had a hard plastic clear case and it was hard to get on an off and you could feel that it never really was completely on (there were cracks in the case where it did not fit together well.)

This case has a plastic/rubberized sides so it slips on and off easily. The clear back works well to show off her picture and she can easily change it out when she wants to. The solid white sites give the case some depth.

On the negative side I wish the sides were just a hair thicker. They will prevent scrapes but if she drops it from any distance, I am not sure they will offer much protection.

But considering the price I am happy with the case and would recommend it.
______
Update July 2014 - my wife has used this for nearly two years now and still prefers to the cases I use. She did accidentally leave the phone on the top of a car and it fell off at about 30-35 mph and there was only a slight scuff on the case, no other damage. She was lucky in the way it hit, but it still is a good case for the price.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is designed to accommodate an iPhone5, but it is not exactly impressive except for its price point. Made of hard plastic, it offers decent protection and it comes with a plastic screen cover. I may be a little jaded, but my higher priced Spiegen case (which was also a freebie through Vine) offers more cushioning by comparison and has a few add'l features. However, given its price this may be just the right case if you need a case and don't want to blow the budget. Given the current price of the iPhone5, buying a case to protect it is a smart move and I see nothing negative about this case. It will serve the purpose and protect the phone.
on April 7, 2014
I purchased this item while I was in between cases and it was good for filling the gap. It is not exceptionally well fitted to the phone and the hard plastic back caused some scratches to the phone when dirt got into the case. I changed over to a better case shortly after but this was a good hold over. The clear plastic back started to look dirty and scratched very quickly which made the case look worn out sooner than it was.
on May 12, 2014
Color Name: SmokeProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
i really liked this product. It fits perfectly, it was transparent (smoke) color, it added very little additional bulk to my iPhone 5, and it protected the phone from damage. The only problem is that the case started to discolor–brown in my case. I otherwise enjoyed the case until that time. The seller provided prompt, quality service.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had the original Amazonbasics iPhone 5 case and screen protector. It lacked openings so I stopped using it. This is the new model with the proper access points to use the functions of this magnificent phone. The screen protector is good. By now I've learned how to apply these types of screen protectors without getting bubbles.

The deal is outstanding, a very good offer considering it includes shipping. The case is more durable than the old one, I think because it's made of a better composite.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this case to many because those with an iPhone 5 usually will want a rubberized and more expensive case. However, some rubberized cases are a lot thicker than this quite thin case.

See 1 answered question