Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Scott Pilgrim (of 6) Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life - Color Edition
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 9, 2012
Since most people that read this edition of Scott Pilgrim will already be familiar with the story, I'm going to review what color does for the story and a bit about the added bonus features.

In some ways I'm a traditionalist and I don't really like the trend of coloring black and white comics as it does take a bit away from how the story was originally presented. In the case of Scott Pilgrim, the black and white at times felt perfect for the story as it give it a magnaesque vibe to it that fit well with the storyline. But...at the same time as the series and characters progressed the black and white felt limiting, as we talked about the changes in Ramona's hair color and the fight scenes that shaped the characters. So I am glad to have a chance to read the colorized version of the novel as it brings an added vibrancy and depth to Bryan's work. The colors help make the character come to life and it feels like a good animated Saturday morning cartoon, like Animaniacs, which works well with the story. In particular the color enhances the band and battle scenes, making a good black and white drawing, suddenly feel animated. My favorite scenes in color--Scott's battle sequence with matthew Patel and the demon girls. The color just brings so much to that scene, shadows and highlights that just make things pop. So despite my unease the color really does help create a more vibrant story.

This volume also includes some bonus content that reveals the life of Scott Pilgrim, before he became Scott Pilgrim. Bryan shares with us some of his influences, such as the title of a band's song, friends and family that the characters and story were based upon, and how he sold the idea to Oni to create this series of graphic novels. In addition, Bryan shares some more personal reflections such as the feelings of the rather low key release date (due to the publishing of the book being pushed back) as well his ideas and depictions of how the characters evolved as he drew them (always one of my favorite things to see.)

In short if you're a fan of Scott Pilgrim then you'll definitely want to add this book to your collection. And if you aren't a fan of Scott Pilgrim or never read it before, give this book a try in its new colorized version. You won't regret it. 5 out of 5 stars.
on February 20, 2014
These are the first graphic novels I've ever read. My general problem with graphic novels is that you can read through one in an hour or two. It hardly seems worth the price when you can get some 1000-page pulp fiction for half the cost. That said, Scott Pilgrim is definitely worth it. It's funny, the characters are engaging, the artwork is a significant part of the story, and O'Malley is able to address some really significant relational issues in a way that is lighthearted without being flippant.

The color versions seem worth the price. I don't think I'd enjoy them nearly as much in black and white.

My solution to how quickly you can read through one of these was to only read a chapter or two over coffee in the morning. It turned into my favorite part of the day (well, it probably already was; coffee is coffee). Going to sleep at night, I'd be excited to wake up and read a bit more.
on January 22, 2016
I first read the Scott Pilgrim series in paperback after seeing the film, and had wanted to get it for Kindle, which is only recently available and only in color. The color changes some of the "feel" of the book compared to the fairly Spartan black and white version, but the story is still compelling. If you've only read the black and white version, color doesn't add much. If you've only read the color version I encourage you to seek out the black and white as well.
on January 13, 2016
I saw the movie before reading the comics. I also have not read the black and white version so I cannot compare. So far I have enjoyed this book. The story so far is very similar to the movie (well, vice versa I guess but you know what I mean) but it is still fun to visit the source material. The illustrations are top notch and the humor/personalities of the characters are just great. I look forward to reading the rest of them and seeing how the story diverges from the movie.
on October 31, 2013
I own the e-book version, so understand that everything I reference is from reading this on a 10" tablet.

I got my son hooked on Scott Pilgrim before the movie came out. He's worn out his original set of books. When I saw the color versions available and that it was available as an e-book, I jumped on the chance. The art jumps off the page in the bigger format (thanks to the tablet's screen being larger than the original books), the colors are vibrant and well-done, and it feels like reading the series again for the first time. I can't wait until the rest of the volumes are available in color!

The first volume does a great job introducing the characters and basic story line. Remember that Scott is a jerk... he's not supposed to be likable, and the series deals with that directly. Enjoy this for the escapist fun it is!
on September 15, 2012
I like many was a bit skeptical about a color edition: would it be worth re-buying a book I already owned just for some color and a few tweaks? Would I like the colorist's work? Honestly though, they did a great job. I love black and whIte comics as a rule but this series really shines in color because the style of coloring was appropriate to the lineart and added to the story instead of being a distraction. Also a few touched up panels doesn't hurt.

Bottom line is: if you love SP and don't mind shelling out some more money for the series it's totally worth it. This comic adapts surprisingly well to color.
on December 24, 2013
I found out about this series through the movie, as many people did. While that makes me a late comer to the party, I'm so happy I finally found it. After I saw the movie I was curious about the source material, so I picked this up on sale for my tablet. It is a great read. I definitly prefer the color version of this series, it really does add a lot to the experience. This covers everything up through the battle with the first evil ex and establishes our main cast. The characters are real and likable. The humor is spot on. The movie, while it deviates from story slightly, captures the feel and look of the series to a T. Would recommend to anyone who enjoyed the movie, likes graphic novels, or just wants some simple escapism.
on April 20, 2015
I love Scott Pilgrim so much. I own all the books in paperback and have started to buy them in hardback. This is full, beautiful color with nice large pages. And in the back is a little behind the scenes from the author that add a lot of extra depth to the story, as I noticed things I'd never would have noticed before.
on August 17, 2013
This book was awesome. I've read it twice, and just need to get to the others! It helps a lot having seen the movie, giving the characters in the book an actual voice. Michael Cera was a good choice, but was too whiny/wimpy in the movie (except for the out-of-character evil-ex fighting). But the book keeps Scott's character more consistent, gives him a little more confidence (even if it is falsely based), and mixed with Michael Cera's voice in the movie really makes this book. I had a hard time not laughing out lout on the train as I read it.

I got this on one of Amazon's Kindle deals, and was surprised at how good of a read it was on an Android Kindle app.
on December 10, 2015
One of the things...what am I saying... the ONLY thing that disappointed me about reading the original Scott Pilgrim series was the lack of colour. With that problem now solved, an awesome book just got a whole lot more awesome!!