Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 29, 2015
I am so glad I splurrged a little bit on this piece, but it was so worth it. I haven't had any trouble with it yet, only had it for a few days. The instructions were easy to put it together, but I would suggest needing two people to put it together. It makes it hard to hold the racks while screwing them into the four legs. The top is exactly what I thought it would be from online. I still use cutting boards on it just to keep the life of it longer. The top does have some type of top coat on it, like a gloss of some kind. If the table is wobbly after together, each leg has an adjustable peg.
review image
11 comment49 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2015
I'm very happy with this island. The color is almost a perfect match with my cabinets. The top is a little darker than the Amazon picture. The island is very sturdy. I used baskets to create 'drawers' and make it easier to store things.

There was one small ding in the top due to something sharp hitting the box during shipping. A brown Sharpie took care of that. The top has a thin veneer, so I plan to be careful with it. It's more decorative than functional. You can't cut directly on it, since it's not butcher block.

Assembly took about an hour. There were some alignment issues on the screw holes that hold the top on, so we left a few screws off. The top is heavy, and I don't plan to move the island around, so it's not an issue.
review image
33 comments18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2013
This piece of furniture is amazing. The look, the quality, and ways of use is far beyond what i could have expected. I bought "S" hooks and i was able to hang drying towels, oven mitts and small pots on the side. I bought bar stools for it (legs wont fit under because of the bar but i sit to the side, not so bad), and it is a great piece in my small studio apartment. I didn't have a designated eating space but now i do, and it's multifunctional!
11 comment18 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2014
I originally had purchased a stainless steel island from HD. It was nice but I quickly realized the difficulty in keeping the surface clean. After much research I settled for this item due to price and looks. Very attractive, solid, easy to assemble with some work ( not all the holes align, when tightening. Install all the screws then tighten each in cross pattern or a little at a time until they are secure. They may not all set perfectly flush but they will be tight and not noticeable). The directions say not to place hot objects on the wood surface and not to use common wood cleaners. No pledge ect. Soap and water or lemon soap. I haven't found any lemon cleaner, maybe a citrus cleaner is an equivalent. I use soap and water and it works fine. Looks great, good storage, easy to assemble and maintain.
on June 24, 2015
Update: an extra person and half an hour later (after the 1.5 hours I already put into it), we managed to stretch it into a position where we could get the last 6 screws in. Turned it over and leveled it (that ability is a bonus, since we have an old house and apparently uneven kitchen floors) and we love it. I can't give it 5 stars for two reasons, though. 1. Although this daddy's it is a butcher's block, it definitely didn't look like you can chop food directly on it. 2. Putting it together was such a pain that if I had known that, even knowing how much I like the finished product, i would not have night it. You couldn't pay me to put one of these together again.

Original 2 star review: This is a mid-putting together review... this thing has me so frustrated that if it wasn't delivered: two huge boxes that I had to tear apart, I would be trying to ship it back. None of the screw hold line up. This wasn't so bad in the first stages because some brute force could hold the legs in position long enough to screw the bolt in... but now that I'm trying to put it all together it is doing my head in. That's all. I elk update my review of I ever get it together.
review image review image review image
on September 9, 2013
Very solid surface to work on. A bit time consuming to assemble, but directions adequate. We added thin layer of wood over each shelf so smaller items could be stored there without falling over or through shelf bars. Probably will replace this wood addition with rectangular glass surfaces to sit on shelf bars. The glass would retain open look. Well built item. Style is distinctive so won't fit in with some decors...
on March 23, 2013
This looks like it is more expensive than it is. So pretty in the kitchen. The metal of the legs is more like a brushed nickle patina. Have not had long, but plan on using a cloth to cover it to preserve the butcher block on the top from scratches.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2014
I love love love this island! I read the reviews beforehand so my expectations were very high! I cannot believe how much better this item is in person! High quality and super heavy - I have no regrets! My kitchen looks fantastic with this new addition!
on February 25, 2014
WOW- was not expecting this Island to be so sturdy,clean looking and make a void space in my kitchen so usable
now since I am very limited to my total kitchen area.
My working area in my kitchen has two(2) small drawers and counter space of about 14 sq.ft. The island has two(2) shelves below the county top. The color is like platinum grey. This was one of the best things we have ever
purchased with Amazon. My husband and I love it.
on September 20, 2015
Overall the piece is very nice but, the wood top is much less appealing in person. The finish on it makes the wood look fake, plastic almost. It's definitely not a butcher block and I wouldn't prep food directly on it. Additionally, the top arrived damaged and living in Hawaii makes it difficult to return and replace items in a timely manner.
review image review image