Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 12, 2014
Ya, I know the replacement filters are expensive. Ya, I know some dust collects on the intake vent slits. Ya, I know it's a little on the noisy side when on HIGH. Ya, I know it creates somewhat of a breeze if your are camped out in its vicinity. Show me a GOOD air cleaner that doesn't have some of these traits.

BUT, this sucker really cleans the air in our house (livingroom/dining room area). No it does not completely eliminate the dust, but comes awful darn close. We run it on High (not auto) all of the time (with the PlasmaWave on--no ozone smell). We vacuum the charcoal filter every month and replace it every three months as recommended. The "change filter light" comes on anywhere from 10-12 months--I guess it senses when the hepa filter is clogged--and we change it.

We have a dog that sheds all year long (and has dandruff). My wife and I have allergies. This device does not eliminate our sneezing and watery eyes, but it reduces it to a very large extent.

It reduces (not eliminates completly) the cooking odors (we eat a lot of fish and seafood) over the period of an hour, and the odors are gone by the next morning.

Dust will accumulate (dog hair also) on the vents, but a vacuum with a brush on it cleans that up fast--we wash the front cover every 3-4 months. We even spray essential oil sprays on the charcoal filter every one in a while (coconut and apple--my 2 favorites)

Cheap clean air in my view! I don't expect perfection, but this device comes dang close.

PS: If anyone ever finds the PERFECT air cleaner (noisless, complete odor elimination, cheap filters, under $200, dust free, and breezeless) please let me know immediately!

EDIT: Read the comments to my post and you'll be able to get exact replacement filters for HALF THE PRICE.
on May 10, 2013
After doing a lot of research over the last several weeks I purchased several Winix 6300 filters.

I have a son and a daughter that have both suffered from allergies since the age 2-3. And both have been taking Allegra pretty much daily. However recently my son would start to cough severely several hours after going to bed.

I thought that was pretty unusual as I thought the house would be a cleaner place than the outdoors for them.

We had washed the bedsheets, cleaned the carpets replaced the air filters but that didn't make much of a difference. Then I came across an article stating that the home can contain 50 times more allergens than the outside, due to how well newer homes are sealed.

My home was built in 1999 so it is 14 years old.

After my research I decided to purchase the Winix 6300 (although it is similar to the Winix 5300, but that has no remote and has an odor sensor, the 6300 has a particle sensor).I installed one in each bedroom, a total of 4 in our 3700 SQ. foot home.

That same night I was amazed as neither of my kids coughed at all at night.

I then decided to take away their nightly doses of Allegra (Allegra is dosed 2x daily if needed). They were fine and kept on sleeping through the night. I then took away the morning doses of Allegra a week later.

It's been about three weeks now and they are off their Antihistamines. My daughter also has\had Eczema and that has improved greatly also.

Looking at the cost for these filters and the money I am now saving (Allegra $10-15\week + Prescription Eczema cream $300 + Doctors visits) over a $1000 a year .

I also have allergies and they have vastly improved also (I had in the past a stuffy nose almost every morning).

In fact my In-laws that are visiting noticed a difference in their sleep also. They noticed that neither was snoring as much and had a much more restful night of sleep.

I currently run all of the Filters at the 2 setting (with the plasmawave on 24/7). However when I get up to wake up the kids I put it on full blast (Setting 4) for an hour before they leave for school and the same an hour or so before they sleep.

I do this as I don't think the auto mode is that effective. When I move it to turbo (setting 4) the sensor will show orange \ Red for at least a few minutes before becoming green again.

I am not sure how long these positive effects will last but at the present time I would recommend this Filter to anyone with allergies, especially if they seem to be worse at home or worse at night.

I have also purchased 2 more one for the kitchen\family room area and one for a sitting room upstairs.
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2012
Bought this to replace a six year old Honeywell that finally bit the dust, and I couldn't be happier. It really does perform as promised. Most of the time, it runs on the lowest setting, so quiet I had to put my ear on it to believe it was actually working. But if I light a cigarette, within a few seconds it kicks up a notch, then another, runs on high for a few minutes, then shuts back down to low. It so far has reacted to cleaning products and cooking, although strangely not to incense. Turbo setting makes a lot of noise, but since I almost never need to use it, it doesn't matter.

The front panel has the intake vents, directed straight out, with additional intake on the sides. The cleaned air comes out the top, rather than blowing horizontally into the room and making a draft. The whole footprint is so much smaller than the Honeywell, which didn't do nearly as good a job. I can actually see the smoke moving towards it.

Someone commented that it uses 90 watts, which may be true on turbo, but I'm sure the low setting, where it runs most of the time, is probably only 6 watts. And instead of running constantly on medium, it really does seem to be reactive to odors. In order to shut off the turbo you have to turn the unit off and then back on, where it resets to the default auto setting. Also not sure about the plasma wave thing, was getting headaches with it running all the time, but that could be from other factors, so time will tell.

Not happy that I'll have to replace the hepa filter, but that's probably the biggest drawback I can see. It came with three extra charcoal filters, which will last a long time, (3 months each, per directions) and unlike the Honeywell, the filters are extremely easy to access and change, a big plus.

Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase. Wish it was made in US, but it's Korea, not China, which is something.
44 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
I have two of these. I was pretty skeptical that they could make a big difference, but my fiance has terrible allergies and was relying on taking Benadryl almost daily to fend off symptoms so we decided to give this a shot. We bought two, and he hasn't taken a single Bendadryl in the three months since we first brought them home (starting within probably 24 hours of setting them up).

These are like having some sort of crazy magical object that sits in the corner of your room with small mysterious lights and mystical healing powers for the allergy sufferers among us. Highly recommended.
on January 7, 2013
I ordered both a 9300 (Pet version) and a 6300. Both did a wonderful job. This model is about $70 cheaper so ordered two more. I've used at least two different brands in the past and they do not begin to be as good as the Winix. It has more surface area for cleaning the air. It really is QUIET (my other brands have a high-pitched hum which was annoying). It looks nice too. I have one in each room, one quite large, and I notice a big difference. It is particularly great in my bedroom because of being so quiet even though on high. My stuffy nosed cleared up right away. What a difference!! Worth the price.
on January 7, 2015
I bought this air purifier as I have severe dust allergies and needed something to clean the cat and dog hair particles as well. I love it, it's quiet (unless on Turbo mode) and my allergies are so much better. I move it from room to room sometimes but it's best in the bedroom where I spend the most time breathing, in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this product. I originally bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond in Cincinnati for $199.99 and then used a 20% coupon. BTW the sensor is so sensitive, it kicks on high if you (or the dog) farts in front of it. LOL! The kids love it. I guess I should go ahead and change that black carbon filter monthly, huh. I always forget to do that, so I have a bunch of black carbon filters sitting around. The filter light came on after about 6 months of use on Auto setting, I checked the white HEPA filter and it is clogged and NASTY! So I can see that it's working great. I went to buy a HEPA filter replacement on Amazon and found....

A CHEAPER HEPA FILTER THAT FITS WINIX 6300!
Fellowes HF-300 True HEPA Filter, for use with Fellowes AP-300PH Air Purifier (9370101)
Sold on Amazon for $33.00--contains only the white HEPA filter, with out all those black carbon filters. The Winix brand filter ($64.99 I think) for the 6300 is only sold with 3 addt'l black carbon filters and most of us have tons of those and only want the HEPA filter. This Fellowes brand filter fits the Winix 6300 AND it's MUCH cheaper--at $33.00 ea. With that savings I bought 2 of them. They are completely identical to the Winix brand replacements.
on September 11, 2014
This air filter was worth every penny. I can't believe how quiet it is! And it does the job, cleans the air in my entire upstairs. I have one big room, 935 sq. ft., in an old dusty house, and after running it for an hour, the air is noticeably fresher, less dusty. I live in Tennessee where pollen is high year round. This unit really helps. The design is lovely, a stainless steel panel on front, very sleek looking, and I really love the exhaust filter being on top which blows the air up instead of out across the floor where it doesn't really do you any good. It helps circulate the air in the room as well as filter it. It has a low and a low low setting for sleeping which is whisper quiet. Even on the high turbo setting, the noise level is of a lower frequency, thus less noticeable. I use the high setting for a few hours every day when I'm not in the room. I do wish it had a handle on it so it was easier to move around, but not a deal breaker, it isn't that heavy. Haven't changed the filter yet, though have had it a few months, so not sure how often that would need to be done and how expensive the filters are. I would highly recommend this unit for anyone needing clean air in a large room, or for your bedroom where the noise won't keep you awake.
on October 13, 2014
Lightweight and easy to move around, this Air Cleaner does a very good job. Speeds One and Two are silent, speeds Three and Four you can hear, the Turbo Setting will clean up a room quickly. The Plasma Wave does not over-ionize the air like some systems. I'll probably purchase at least two more of these devices.
on June 8, 2014
My wife was going crazy over the last couple of months before we got this; we had some kind of dust or pollen in the house that was giving her terrible sneezing fits. Once we got this air cleaner, she started keeping it by the bed at night, and by the sofa in the evening while watching TV, and it completely solved the problem, right from the day we unpacked it. Needless to say, she is VERY pleased!!

It is very quiet except when it needs to jump to its highest filter setting (we've been just running it in auto mode), and even in that highest setting, it's not unbearably loud, plus it doesn't stay there very long.

I'm not looking forward to having to buy replacements for the huge filter, but it's worth it for such an effective tool
on June 11, 2014
This Spring has seen very heavy waves of oak pollen in our area, and it's been my worst experience with allergies ever. In desperation I decided to try an air filter with HEPA credentials, and in the month I've had it, I am thrilled with the Winix WAC6300. I installed it in my bedroom and now get an excellent 8-10 hour sleep every night, symptom-free from allergy problems (runny nose, itchy eyes, cough, etc.).

Delivery was quick, and setup quite easy. The only issue is that the filter bags aren't labeled, so I called customer service to find and install them properly. The call was answered quickly by a real person in Illinois, and she was very knowledgeable and helpful.

The unit is easy to operate, it is quite quiet, and the white noise it does produce helps for sleeping. I strongly recommend this unit.