on November 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
I just purchased this computer for my girlfriend, and so far she loves it. I personally don't really like Windows 8 yet, especially when using the touchpad, but that is Microsoft's problem. The computer is fast, durable, and has a good sized screen. Perfect for her, as she mainly uses it for e-mail, movies, homework, and Pinterest. One thing to note is that the touchpad has quite a texture to it. Its a little awkward and doesn't have perfect touch response, and I foresee the pits collecting grime after a while. Overall, a great computer for the price!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2013
I'm a recent college graduate and this was laptop was meant to replace my old one as something for work and just lounging around. Overall, it ended meeting all of my expectations.

PROs:
-The screen is massive and the resolution is really nice
-The full keyboard and number pad, to include keys for screen brightness, play, rewind/forward, sound, and wifi.
-So far has run everything I've thrown at it, inluding Chrome with 15 tabs, and some games with medium-level graphics
-Boot-up is very quick
-Initial set-up is very easy and it goes from the original box to being used in about 7 minutes
-The textured feel to the laptop makes it seem much more durable.
-There's a built-in webcam. It has pretty bad quality, but a really large scope, so you can fit a lot of stuff into view.
-Windows 8, while not my favorite OS, has a lot of built in software that can be useful (think apps on your laptop) once you start to get used to it. Then again, they take up a lot of memory and could be downloaded from the internet just as easily.

CONs:
-The keyboard is a little "sticky" sometimes. I have to push my 'A' and 'C' keys a little harder than the others for them to work, making it a little noisier and slower to type.
-Since the mousepad has a textured-feel to it, it's jumpy until you start to get used to it. Easily fixed with a USB mouse.
-The placement of the external inputs is a little weird. It seems like they put everything on the sides in an effort to keep the computer a little slimmer. This is most noticeable with the power cord, which is on the left side. All of my sockets are on the right side, so it is constantly turning the computer. The USB, headphone/mic jacks, internet hardline, and external monitor inputs are all on the right side, front too, so they very easily get in the way when you have any of them hooked up.
-The CD tray feels very flimsy and strange. When you open it, it is slow to spring open, then feels very weak and is kind of hard to grip because of the curved outside.
-Software. Namely Windows 8 and Norton Security. I understand that it isn't part of the computer, but the OS is a little hard to get used to and runs a TON of background applications (including Norton) that slow down your computer A LOT at first.
-The speakers are horrible. I normally don't care about sound at all, but it is bad enough that I notice. Not as bad with movies as with music.

Bottom line: Great computer for the price. Any problems with the laptop are easily fixable (mouse, keyboard) or you get used to (Windows 8, general layout, etc.). If you're looking for a laptop just for work or for browsing the internet, this is your laptop. If you're trying to run really extensive software or games, you need something with a little more power.
on December 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
The battery charge is good for users who travel. The keyboard is a tad funky. It will take some getting used to. Overall good product. I would purchase again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 29, 2013
Verified Purchase
I'll start by saying this is a review of the product NOT the operating system (Windows 8)

Screen- Has a really nice size and very nice resolution- It's clear and only has distortion at odd screen angles.
Sound- It lacks a bit and stays on the low side making it difficult to watch movies
Keyboard- It's amply spaced but a bit bouncy, almost like it's not installed correctly, but it is, it's just a loose fit.
USB- 3, and comfortable
Touchpad- is textured, it takes a bit of getting used to but after a little you don't notice it.
appearance- it's just a laptop, there are no pretty lights or smooth finishes, no fancy colors or bells.
Weight- Easy enough to carry around, but it's still a 5 pound laptop.

I like the machine, it's perfect for email, internet, pictures and netflix. It's low priced because it's just an entry level machine.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
It takes a little bit getting used to windows 8. Other then that it seems okay. The feel of it and the big screen is a plus. Just wish it was easier to use. Computers fine
on January 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
Nice lap top but the audio really sucks. Sounds like someone talking into a tin can. Have to use external speakers or headphones for decent audio.
on March 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
Great product. It works wonderfully. It was easy to operate as soon as I opened it. So far I have not had any problems.
on July 1, 2013
Verified Purchase
This laptop meets my needs just fine. Nothing fancy. Windows 8 is a problem. I haven't gotten in sync with it. Fortunately, it has a Windows 7 emulator the works just like my old computer. I'm happy.
on August 15, 2013
Let me start off by saying that this computer cannot be beat with the pricing. it is fast, light, and user friendly. have had it scince April and it still works really well for email, Facebook, Netflix, and web browsing. great family product. I downloaded minecraft on it and it works really well!! it might not seem like it but i can get up to 25-30 fps on medium settings. It is a great product and cant be beat. i love it and use it every single day. my only problem is that the battery is small only 3-4 hours depending on what u r doing
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
Verified Purchase
I've owned four Toshiba computers, and they have been great machines. The Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5340 has an outstanding keyboard, a fantastic display, and it's fast and nearly silent. But I would not recommend it for people who are long-time Windows power-users.

The serious defect with this machine is Windows 8, an operating system designed for tablets and cell phones. It's ridiculously inappropriate for use on computers, and it will seriously interfere with your productivity. A number of functions that made Windows 7 a powerful tool have been removed. The elegant, highly-evolved user interface had been seriously hobbled, for no good reason.

It's stunning that Microsoft would release a product that is such a usability bomb. It looks like a project designed by an elementary school computer club, and then accidentally approved for production with no user testing whatsoever.
The system will be less annoying to folks who are light users -- shopping, email, web surfing. But experienced folks who use computers for efficiently getting work done should stay clear of this OS in its current form.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thanks, Richard, for the hardware kudos, and sorry to hear that you're unhappy with Windows 8. Hopefully that will change over time.

I suspect you've already done your own research but will share a few links of Windows 8 tips, in case they may be helpful:

Thank you for the feedback.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations