Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on March 18, 2014
I bought this unit to replace an expensive Air-o-Swiss that suddenly started leaking from the base after a year of use. This unit puts out a very admirable amount of moisture and is compact enough that it can easily fit on an end table to elevate it off the floor. Having tried several humidifiers at various price points, I would say this one strikes a good balance between price and function.

What I like: 1) It puts out a lot of vapor and has a solid feeling adjustment dial. 2) The night light is very bright but can easily be switched off. 3) The unit is compact and has a small footprint. 4) It stops operation when it runs out of water, which gives the user good piece of mind. 5) There are no wicks or filters to replace!

What I don't like: 1) The cleaning instructions that come with the unit are totally unhelpful. Having used other humidifiers in the past, I know to just soak the base in vinegar every other week to remove scum and deposits and use the little brush to clean the membrane that makes the vapor. However, the instructions do not detail anything of the sort. 2) To refill the unit, you remove the water tank from the base...there is often a lot of suction holding the base to the tank, which requires both hands to break. I always use a towel when doing this, as there is a lot of dripping on the floor. 3) My main complaint is that after reading the reviews before purchasing, I was surprised that the unit was not quite as quiet as promised. Keep in mind I was using a more expensive unit previously, so maybe I'm spoiled, but both the product description and most of the reviews promised a virtually silent operation. Um, no. It's not at all loud (like the cheap brands you can buy at Walgreens) but it's certainly not silent either. I would say it sounds like a desk fan on low, with a fan pitch that is sometimes higher than at other times. I'm a light sleeper, and the first week of running this baby at night, I was waking up occasionally due to the strange pitch of the fan. Maybe I just ended up with an imperfect unit, since no other reviewers have yet mentioned this. Now after using it for a month I don't even notice the sound, but I wanted to throw that information out there in case you're a super light sleeper or easily disturbed by noise. Also, the box the unit comes in claims that there are no glugging and gurgling sounds emitted from the unit...but that would be impossible given the design. As it's drawing water from the reservoir of course it's going to send a few air bubbles up into the tank now and then, just like a water cooler. All humidifiers do this, and this unit is no exemption. The bubbling only occurs every 15 minutes or so (depending on the vapor setting) and it doesn't bother me a bit... but it had to laugh when I saw that ridiculous claim on the box.

All in all, you cannot get a better ultrasonic humidifier for this price, and I would recommend it. It does what it's supposed to do: puts out great moisture with a minimum amount of user inconvenience. And while it's not as silent as the manufacturer claims, it is certainly much quieter than most others at this price point or below.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2013
This humidifier is extremely quiet and doesn't disturb me at all as I am a very light sleeper. The tank has a slight glow in the dark and comes with a built in night light that's on/off optional. This lasts me three full nights before I have to refill it and I wake up feeling refreshed, highly recommend!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2014
Whisper quiet. Doesn't take too much space. Easy to fill. Has something in the base of the water to keep mold from happening so you don't have to clean it (maybe not the most eco thing, but makes this low maintenance). Good price. Great for winter time since the indoor heat and outside dry cool air sucks the moisture from scalp and skin, causing dandruff, chapped lips, dry legs, and a less radiant complexion. This really helps counter all of that. It may also help some people breath easier and so sleep better.

As with most humidifiers, keep it on a nightstand, end table, or desk so that it doesn't dampen your carpet. Since the mist projects at an angle, it's not going to get your table wet. All humidifiers are meant to be kept on some surface.

A sensible purchase. Very pleased.
on September 30, 2014
(Update: 1/20/2015) The humidifier continues to be one of the best, if not best, performing humidifiers I've ever owned. There is one problem though. It's harder to clean than I realized. As someone who gets very annoyed with cleaning hindrances due to design, I'll go over those problems. The inside of the tank is a breeze to clean. A couple of tablespoons of white vinegar in a full tank of water, sitting for 15 minutes or so cleans it pretty well. There's an alternate method, though I don't know if it's recommended--drop a denture tablet in the tank with warm water in it. This really makes it white and sparkly again. I didn't invent the wheel there. I had just always used denture tablets to clean Camelbak water bottles that weren't dishwasher-friendly. The base that the tank sits down in is a whole other story. You would have to own this humidifier to understand what I'm talking about on this part. The plunger that releases water from the tank into the base is in a little tight area. You can get a Q-Tip down in there though, but even so, even with white vinegar, there are still parts down in there that won't come perfectly clean. You guessed it. Drop another denture tab down in there too. I don't have dentures, but my mom does and had several samples, including a crystallized version. Crystallized works well in the tank, but not in the base. Some of the little crystals were trying to get stuck in the little crevices. I ended up buying a value pack of the fresh mint tabs at the store with a Bullseye logo. They do a nice job of cleaning and making it look new. While reveling in my mastery of cleaning a humidifier, I noticed something, there's an entire tube in there that I've never cleaned. You can barely see it in the product image. It's the tube the vapor comes out of. This would be easy to miss since you can pop the cap off the top where the vapor comes out and clean it. I just happened to notice some pinkish colored gunk in the tube. At the time, I didn't have anything to clean it with so I just stuffed a washcloth up there and slid it around the inside of the tube. It worked well enough, but I needed something more than a washcloth since the used washcloth had to be thrown out due to the overload of gunk. I ended up buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Bottle-Brush/dp/B00004OCLJ/ for cleaning that tube out. It works very well. I'm still cleaning mine every 3-4 days with the white vinegar/water solution, but have started doing this full cleaning every 10 days or so. It's really not that hard to do, takes maybe 5-10 minutes of work and it returns the smell of the vapor to the clean vapor smell you remember from the first time you used it. Review itself still is relevant and would continue giving it 5 stars.

A few things about me and my history with humidifiers. I expect a humidifier to last a minimum of 1 year at worst and at best, 2 years. I personally have been using humidifiers for 20 years. Having lived in Arizona and Texas, my sinuses have commonly been exposed to dry air and nosebleeds. Now that I'm married, I live in a cooler area, but now the cool dry air outside bothers my sinuses. I won't spend a lot on a humidifier or buy one that requires the filter to be bought/changed. I've simply been through way too many from different price ranges to know I can expect them to last more than 2 years and should pay accordingly.

This Optimus U-31002 is at the top of my price range, but my previous humidifier, a Sunbeam SLU2512-HUM, recently started leaking and I needed to find a replacement as soon as possible. The Sunbeam as example, only lasted 10 months and was fifty dollars. So though this Optimus is a little more, it was worth the risk to get myself a humidifier in the bedroom before the fall air causes me problems.

There's one major negative for me. It's not going to be a negative for most people. This humidifier is extremely quiet. The Sunbeam I'm replacing was noisy enough to hear outside of our bedroom. I can barely hear this Optimus even laying beside of it. There's a slight patter of water every 30 seconds or so and it's slight. Maybe every 5 minutes you will hear a small gurgle. If you operate it in a dark room, you may need to turn the light on the first time just to make sure it's running. This is a "major" negative for me because I'm from bigger cities. I like noise when I sleep. My wife is from out in the country where quietness is common. The Sunbeam was better on this noise part for me, but after using the Optimus for a week, I've decided to keep it.

This humidifier is one of the easier ones to fill for me. Since I had trouble understanding the build of it from the picture, I will try to explain. If you look at the picture you can see a seam just above the control knob. Everything above that seal comes out and holds water, even the white part above the seal. It's not just the clear part. Everything above the seam is made into one piece. It's very nice to see a tank that's not all clear. In comparison to the Sunbeam, this humidifier puts out about twice as much vapor on the highest setting compared to the Sunbeam's highest setting.

The control knob could be better. It's one of those knobs that doesn't click from setting to setting. You just turn it and have to make a mental note of where you prefer it. I run it on the lowest setting while at work, but turn it up to roughly 3/4 its power while asleep. The top of the clear part has a spout that can be rotated 360 degrees, but be careful if you do this. The entire spout also can be removed so you have to grab along the seam of the spout to just rotate it.

A major plus over other humidifiers I've used is the water refill area. This one has a fairly large opening and the lid that you screw back on, screws nearly flush to the water container. Most have a rubber washer in them that deteriorates. Which is what happened to the last two I've owned. Most people would say just replace it, but both of the ones I have are no longer made so there's no way to replace it outside of finding someone who sells a rubber washer that fits the lid.

My results of using this is best explained by saying I've had 5 straight good nights of sleep. I do have a humidity/thermometer gauge in the room and it has kept our bedroom between 55-65% humidity, which is an optimal range for me. I should add here that it does seem to truly put a cool vapor as the room's temperature is a bit cooler than the rest of the house, talking maybe 1 degree at most, but as anyone with sinus problems will tell you that 1 degree can make the difference in a good night's sleep and a night of tossing and turning.

If there's one complaint I could see a lot of people having it's the lack of light in it. This one doesn't bother me at all, but even though it has a button that says, "night light" it does not stay on. The light is only around the control dial and only stays on if you hold the button down. I thought that should be mentioned for those with little ones who need/want a nightlight.

Overall though, there's very little to complain about. I'll get over the sound part by turning on a white noise machine. Its ability to push plenty of vapor/moisture into the air is my main concern and it does it very well. I haven't seen many humidifiers in this price range that put out the amount of moisture this one does. Others have mentioned it, but I am assuming the lid has some kind of filtering property as it has small beads in it that remind me of demineralization cartridges I've seen on higher end humidifiers. Time will only tell on how well that part works, but it's a nice touch if it does anything at this price. For what it's worth, I should mention that there is a lot less white dust than the Sunbeam would leave. It would leave a trail of white dust across the black table it sits on in one night. This one has only left a small patch of dust in 5 nights. Very impressed so far.
on January 28, 2014
I'm very glad that I bought this humidifier. It's quiet, and easy to fill and clean, and puts out a LOT of mist instantly. I do want to add that it's important to use distilled water. If you use regular tap water, ultrasonic humidifiers tend to produce a fine white dust. It says to use distilled water in the manual, but it doesn't say why. It's the minerals in the tap water that cause the white dust.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2014
I have used SEVERAL humidifiers in the past and this one is the best by far. It starts immediately and is so quiet. My husband even commented about how great this humidifier is. I love that you can turn on and off the night light (which is a nice blue color). I have recommended this to my friends already!!
on December 31, 2014
I am sure I am not the only one who is not a fan of winter. The dry air at the house is getting not only to me but to my wife as well.

Before the Optimus humidifier we purchased two one was from CVS and another one from Wal-Mart thinking that they will perform the same way as the ones online for $50 and up. Yup that did not happen the CVS brand humidifier worked for 3 days, and the one purchased at Wal-Mart stopped working after 2 weeks.
Then the hunting game begun for a new humidifier, but this time I wasn’t going to pay $30 for a humidifier, I wanted something better and was willing to spend up to $200 just to get a good night of sleep.

Distilled Water VS Bottled Water
Now the Optimus humidifier so far is performing as expected. I have tested it with both distilled water and bottled water. The difference is that with the bottled water I saw white spots around the humidifier and the area where it was blowing. Now with the distilled water I don’t see white spots around the humidifier.

My recommendation is don’t be cheap and just purchase the recommended distilled water.

Pro Features
Quiet- Very quiet compared to the other two humidifiers we had.
Night Light- Cool blue color, easy to put on or off.
Stops Working Without Water- The red light inside the humidifier turns on and lets the user know that it is out of water.
Filter- No need to buy separate filters
Mist- Puts out a lot of mist

Con Features
Refilling The Unit- The unit has to be flipped over to fill up the tank.
Bottom Base- The unit will leave water at the bottom of the base and to empty the water or clean the base it has to be unplugged from the socket. This could have been easily avoided if the company would add option to remove the cabled from the back of the base instead of the socket.
Cleaning- Cleaning takes time and it is not as easy as it should be.

I do recommend this humidifier to anyone who is looking to get a good night of sleep without the dry air.
on December 12, 2014
I've used this one night, so I can't talk about durability, but I can pass along what I know so far.

1. I picked this out because it seemed to have fewer negative reviews than any other humidifier I read about. Everything else had at least some people who had problems.
2. It is smaller than I expected. It can fit comfortably on a table top. But being relatively small isn't a problem for me because I just wanted something by my bed.
3. It is very quiet.
4. It seems pretty basic. No bells and whistles. No humidity monitor. It's lightweight.
5. It's easy to fill. One reason I have hated other humidifiers is that I don't like to lug a big water container from a bathtub to the device. This container is small enough to fit in my kitchen sink. (I haven't tried it in my bathroom sink.) Some people have said it doesn't lie flat to fill. I don't find that a problem. It doesn't take long to fill so holding it isn't a problem.
6. The water holder holds enough to allow it to run probably at full blast overnight. I ran it at half output and the tank was still half full in the morning. At full blast it puts out quite a bit. I don't know how large a space it can humidify, but it seems to put out enough for a bedside unit.
7. Some people want a humidifier that can be filled infrequently. But I figure that filling a water container more often probably cuts down on mold and bacteria buildup.
on August 21, 2014
SUPER quiet. I wasn't even sure it was on. DO NOT turn the thing on the bottom too tight or it will not let the water trickle in the base sad it will turn red thinking it is empty. Once I loosened it I have had no issues.
on December 31, 2014
This winter has been particularly dry in our house. Despite having the built in humidifier from the builder, the air is still too dry for us at night. Therefore I decided to hunt down a quality humidifier to mitigate the issue. To my surprise, it was rather difficult to find a unit with decent ratings here on Amazon for less than $50. Luckily, I stumbled upon this little unit and though a bit expensive, I pulled the trigger based on its design and user ratings. We've been using it since the day it arrived. After more than 2 weeks and we love it! Here are the takeaways:

PRO
- As many others have stated, this unit is very quiet at night. If you listen closely you might be able to hear the sound of water vapor blowing out from the spout but it really isn't that noticeable.
- Small details. Such as 1. the handle on the bottom of the water tank where you can hold onto while refilling. 2. the rocks in the water drainage spout. And 3. the water level indicator lights. I'm a big fan of attention to small details because it indicates thoughts went into the design.
- Design. This humidifier is actually good to look at. It's not an Apple product by any means but it's very easy on the eye, especially in the bedroom.
- Night light! The blue night light is quite nice and soothing. My wife didn't like it the first night but she quickly got used to it and said it provides the room with a nice blue glow. Very cool! You can turn it off just via the button in the front.
- Water consumption. On a full tank with vapor dial turned at 3/4 level we can go for 2 nights on a single fill. Very awesome.
- Lastly, and most importantly, it fills the room with water vapor and humidity. Which is why it was purchased in the first place.

CON
- Wish it came in stainless steel.