Top critical review
4 people found this helpful
Cute & Heavy "SLABLET" & Cluttered Model Lineup - But worthy & Future Proof
on May 28, 2013
The Form factor is no doubt cute and the screen size is comfortably big for entertainment or productive work.
What else ! Since this is a Windows 8 with a single USB 3.0 port ( 3 Ports on the DOCK STAND) , most commercially available 3 or 4G dongles would work, seamlessly, something which any IPAD or ANDROID tablets can do. I would have rather prefered that this tab had a built in 3G or $4G LTE slot built in , like the W701 offered outside on USA, which has a 3-SIM Slot
It does have a mini HDMI port and comes with a Mini to VGA cord, though you need a longer one to connect to a LARGE SCREEN LED TV With a HDMI or VGA port. Now you have a truly large screen Windows 8 Desktop in a TAB.
Now the flaws, though some are hardware, some are more of a software and lack of thought in designing and implementation.
This goes to show that too many product lines dilute the quality of the products.
Perhaps these companies should learn a lesson from apple and limit product like to just one or two.
I could afford a guess that it comes form the culture akin the the menu in a chinese or korean restaurants. The run into pages and pretty much a booklet themselves. THere are Chicken Dishe but 30 varieties of it, and then 30 varities of pork and beef and so on... They all pretty much taste the same, with minor variations. Every permutation and combination is thought of and created.
ACER, HTC, ASUS, SAMSUNG,LG, ... Hello Product Managers, If you are hearing this ...
The W700 could have been perfected in just one or two models, instead they choose to spend time inventing 10 , TEN models.
Here are the 10 Frigging varieties , The first 2 are built on SATA 300 BUS, Advise ignoring them.
The rest below are built on SATA 600 & gives you double the IO speed. The all have some variation or the other on the I3 or I5 chip..
1 W700-6670--NT.L0QAA.001----i3--i3-2365M--1.40 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/300 ** NOT RECOMMENDED **
2 W700-6827--NT.L0QAA.002----i5--i5-3317U--1.70 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/300 ** NOT RECOMMENDED **
3 W700-6607--NT.L0EAA.003----i3--i3-3217U--1.80 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/600
4 W700-6691--NT.L0EAA.004----i5--i5-3317U--1.70 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/600
5 W700-6465--NT.L0EAA.005----i5--i5-3317U--1.70 GHz--4 GB--128 GB--Serial ATA/600
6 W700-6495--NT.L0QAA.006----i5--i5-3337U--1.80 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/600
7 W700-6499--NT.L0QAA.007----i5--i5-3337U--1.80 GHz--4 GB--128 GB--Serial ATA/600
8 W700-6454--NT.L0QAA.008----i3--i3-3217U--1.80 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/600
9 W700-6602--NT.L0QAA.009----i5--i5-3317U--1.70 GHz--4 GB--64 GB--Serial ATA/600
10 W700-6680--NT.L0QAA.010----i5--i5-3317U--1.70 GHz--4 GB--128 GB--Serial ATA/600
ACER also makes the 701 series , NOT available in USA, has similar variations with the ADDITION OF 3G SIM CARD SLOT. I can only guess why ??
1) Gets a bit hot and vents gas during the setup
2) Updates to Windows and ACER have to be done separately and manually and takes almost a DAY. They are not automatic , until the final updates are done.
3) No 3G or 4G slots, No built in 4G LTE
4) No external Memory Slot or Card Reader
5) Grainy Camera
6) N0 Controls for camera to Zoom or Focus etc
7) No Inbuilt Precision Skypen or Digitizer pen like Thinkpad. Only a Thick Acer accessory stylus, Not precise enough
8) NO FLASH.. W,T,Hell, Even phones have a flash
9) No replacable battery..Whats its gonna be after 5 yrs of use.
Now there are some flaws on Windows 8 UI.
1) The keyboard does not auto populate and re size the window , except for some native windows functions such as during logon to hardware, during search etc.
2) The X button to close on Firefox and IE does not work properly. Multiple attempts to make it work
3) No Search Function on Windows App store
4) Windows Bit Defender which is by FAR advanced is de-activated and Mc Afee installed. I guess this is not a flaw, but a trial version. I un-installed.
5) No TANGO Video Conferencing app, Forced to use SKYPE
1) Great Speakers & Mic
3) Gorilla Glass does not smudge
4) DNLA certified
5) HDMI - Is it CL2 Certified ,,, Not sure
6) 1 USB 3.0 Port on the SLAB, 3 USB3.0 Ports on Dock
7) Included Remote Desktop .. U can telecommute...from a tropical paradise get away...
8) SATA 600 -- Thats good.. Dont BUY the SATA 300 Models spec'd out above.
I am still using it, but force of habit, cant get rid of my windows 7 laptop. Hope to migrate to windows 8 with some hiccups and starter issues.
I just cant give beyond 3 stars yet, as perhaps some of my frustration is beyond the first time tabled user experience or first time Windows 8 user.. So not sure what to expect... But I expect User experience to be intuitively thought out for a pleasant and flowing experience. A starter video from ACER would have probably be welcome on both windows 8, acer product use. I purchased the product at B & H. Good price, free shipping, but perhaps not the greatest return ( Restocking fee ) and No returns if you opened the box...