Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell XPS X8500-1058BK Desktop (3.1 GHz Intel Core i5-3350P Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) Black [Discontinued By Manufacturer]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 3, 2012
I just received my Dell XPS X8500-1058BK Desktop in the mail today 11/3/12, three hours ago to be exact. I am currently on hold with Dell Support, I have been on the phone 51 minutes and counting. Long story short, the CD/DVD will not open and is not listed on the device manager. After several tests ran as instructed by Dell Support, they have determined a technician will have to be dispatched in 2-3 business days to replace the optical drive because it does not work. Sad day! The PC was purchased to play some games and I can't even do that without a working CD/DVD drive.

Side note: I was transferred to 3 different Dell support technicians before the one who was able to figure out what was wrong did. Total call time 57 minutes. Confirmation email states:

"In order to replace the parts we have setup an At Home Service. The Service Technician will contact you once they receive the parts.

If the service technician is getting the parts, they will return the defective part(s) to Dell. No action is required from your end."

If this is what you want to deal with with a fresh out of the box PC then purchase away. Heed my warning....Buyer Beware!
99 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello rmarl654,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm disappointed to hear that your experience was not a good one. I understand that this must be very frustrating to receive a system that does not work right out of the box. I also recognize that tech support can be a challenging experience, especially on the phone. I am actually part of Dell's social media team and we have specialists who can assist you with issues like these.

They can be contacted directly via the Dell Community Forums (http://dell.to/GY65Xz); the Support tab on Facebook (http://bit.ly/HlJ9LZ); or on Twitter @DellCares (http://bit.ly/Hhh2SQ). You'll find that directly contacting our social media team can often produce much quicker results.

I would also like to recommend that any customer who makes a purchase through Amazon to visit the Dell support page and register their system right away (http://dell.to/oGXJDO). This normally takes a few days to process.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity. Sorry that it did not work out. Thank you again for your candid feedback.
-GinaVAtDell
on April 3, 2013
We ordered this unit to be used at a tradeshow, and it has not disappointed. I would not hesitate to buy another, if needed.
on January 2, 2014
This unit is all I could ask for. It is extremely fast, quiet and easy to use. There is plenty of memory for all my needs
on January 16, 2013
Had I have realised this PC came with the dreaded Windows 8 I would never have even considered it. As it is I am planning to wipe the operating system and replace it with a user-friendly OS like XP Pro - at extra expense of course. My mistake. I should not have simply relied on consumerreports.org's best buy rating for this machine; I should have read the product small print at Amazon.

See 1 answered question