Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on February 6, 2013
I was born in the late 70s and have fond memories of watching various Hanna-Barbera TV shows. Scooby-Doo has been a long time favorite of mine that I'm happy to share with my own kids now that I'm a dad. I was excited to see that Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Inc. team have a new adventure with the Blue Falcon and (more or less) Dynomutt.

I was really surprised when I noticed all the cameo appearances in this movie from other Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Space Ghost, the Herculoids, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy, even Elektra from Teen Force (although she is humorously misidentified in the movie). I felt like a little kid again while watching this movie and the fact that my 3-year-old son and my 6-year-old daughter loved it too was just icing on the cake.

If you grew up during the 80s (or just love watching old 80s cartoons) then I highly recommend watching this feature-length Scooby-Doo adventure.
on January 13, 2013
Considering that they somehow created an entire season of Mystery INC without any direction and screwed it up, and that Big Top wasn't half bad but not the greatest, Mask Of The Blue Falcon hits the spot nicely.
It's certainly better than Music of the Vampire.
It's a worthy purchase, and i'd say feel free to stream it on here and buy the disc, you should want this one in your collection.
It's hard to top Camp Scare or Witch's Ghost. .
Camp Scare, Legend Of The Vampire, Zombie Island, Cyber Chase, Alien Invaders, Legend of the Phantosaur, and Witch's Ghost finally have some company in terms of quality. 2013 is starting out right for Scooby after a ho hum last year.
As long as I never see another Arabian Nights, i'll be fine. NEVER spend money on Arabian Nights, it's the one scooby you'd only have for completeness.
55 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2013
I was so excited when I heard about this movie, and it did not disappoint! It was packed full of action and mystery - in the traditional Scooby-Doo kinda of way.
Loved it - has all the Mystery Inc characters and some other ones that have popped up here and there throughout the Scooby shows. We watched the Amazon Instant Video, and already pre-ordered the DVD.
on February 3, 2013
I've always loved Scooby Doo. I rented this for a family movie night, and thought my teen and tween kids balked at first, once it started, they were into it. The more recent Scooby movies poke fun at everything, and their take on the San Diego Comic Con is no exception. For me, who grew up with Hanna Barbara cartoons, seeing the con attendees cosplaying as characters from the old HB shows is a hoot. The story is good too, much better than the last Scooby outing at the Circus. If you love Scooby, you'll love this.
on October 22, 2013
Well, if you follow my reviews you already know what Scooby films I like best. ("Pirates Ahoy," "Camp Scare," and "The Goblin King." )

The best way I can start is to say that this 19th chapter is not a defining film like "Pirates Ahoy," but it is surprisingly well done and deep.

I call # 10 "Pirates Ahoy" the defining film because an innocent sea cruise turns into a dire situation when Fred's parents were kidnapped. Fred (the leader) finds himself on his own (except for the gang of course) and one other person, Velma's perception finds some important clues, at one point Daphne (in a girly fashion) helps them. (She cuts ropes with her credit card.) Shaggy and Scooby start off in their comical and cowardly fashion, but they rise to the occasion and help save the day. And Fred steers the gang through a dangerous situation, and saves everyone. Fred also gives Scooby the final command to take them home, and Scooby gets the last word.

Alright. This 19th movie is different, and not the defining film. But it explores a lot of interesting themes. Scooby and Shaggy go with some enthusiasm to a comic book convention to see their favorite (and aging) actor who did the original Blue Falcon. And he is very sad and frustrated, because the newer and younger Blue Falcon is not only taking the attention away from him, but certain powers have intentionally played down the older actor's time as BF. (Even to the point of no longer allowing him to wear the costume in public.) Also, his show wasn't put on DVD. Certain powers just want his contributions erased. :(

This is an obvious parallel of Adam West's 60s Batman versus the new Batman. The Adam West character may have disturbing rages, but somehow, we never lose our sympathy for him.

Then we have a problem. A seeming 'comic book villain' ( who was an enemy of the Blue Falcon in the comic book) comes to haunt the comic book convention.

I don't want to say too much and ruin the film for those who haven't seen it. But another theme in this film is political corruption. The mayor is pretty repulsive. He preaches noble intentions, but we see that he is more driven by economics. When a situation (with some symbolism) affects the mayor directly, he in an annoying manner throws a tantrum and acts like the slime attack was Scooby and the gang's fault. He dismisses them, but then they stay on the case anyway, and solve the mystery. Then after everyone else has done the work, he pretends he never lost faith in Scooby. Some may find this funny or political survival. Others may find it dishonorable and annoying. (But it's probably realistic.)

Another interesting thing this film discusses is system and guns. People seem to feel so confident once they are in a system and carry guns. It's almost rewarding when the 'bad guy' effortlessly defeats the system.

What else? The security head is worth some attention. He's not the most likable character. But it's hard to dislike him. He's just an ordinary guy trying to do his job in a difficult situation. And the politics involved are only making it harder for him.

Another subject discussed here is betrayal. I can't disclose all the details. (That would ruin it for those who haven't seen it.) But sometimes our closest friend, or someone we think we can trust is the one ready to thrust the knife in our back.

Perhaps the most touching lesson is that Scooby (despite his weaknesses) doesn't lose faith in himself or his hero. And this helps him to 'find the hero in himself.'

This is something I have to be delicate with (so as not to ruin the movie for those of you who haven't seen it). But if you felt really sorry for the 'Adam West' character, there is an ending that is not only rewarding, it is very touching. It will have you cheering, and you may feel your eyes tearing up with joy.

On a side note, some of us Adam West "Batman" fans may be hoping that this Scooby film is a prelude to Adam West's "Batman" FINALLY being released on DVD.

One final note worth mentioning is that at the comic book convention, there are many people disguised as cartoon characters from the 70s.

So, while this is not exactly a defining Scooby film like "Pirates Ahoy," this 19th chapter of Scooby Doo is well worth watching. My favorites of "Pirates Ahoy," "Goblin King," and "Camp Scare" are in no danger of losing their top spots with me. But this 19th chapter was really great.
on January 30, 2013
My dd liked this one. I noticed that it was less terrifying than some of the more recent Scooby-Doos. They had an old school villain and the crew was together. Daphne's was a little out of character, they made her sillier and less cool, I'd say, and Velma seemed testy rather than helpful. Funny things, but all is right in the end. Good for kids.
on January 23, 2013
Our Household of dedicated, diehard Scooby-Doo fans, immensely enjoyed this latest release! The ageless teenage sleuths and everyone's favorite Great Dane are back for yet another movie length adventure. Don't miss the fun!
on February 26, 2015
This was not one of Scooby-Doo's better releases. It was down right passable. I have many Scooby-Doo DVDs and VHS releases and this one ranks as ridiculous. I knew who done it near the beginning of the cartoon. What makes Scooby-Doo fun to watch is trying to figure out who done it towards the end of the program, not at the beginning. I didn't like the way the Blue Falcon was depicted. He was one of my favorite cartoon characters from the '70's/'80's. He was portrayed as a vengeful, crotchety old guy with a bone to pick with the world. I think that this outing did a grave injustice to this cartoon hero of the '70's/'80's.
on July 6, 2015
Watched this with my son at least 10 times. This is one of our favorite Scooby Doo movies. I grew up in the 80s and Scooby Doo has always been a favorite of mine and now I am glad I can share the whole experience with my son. There is an amazing cast of characters in this film! They are a blast from the past. Such as Space Ghost and Captain Caveman. If you are a Scooby Doo lover, I highly recommend this movie! Two Thumbs up!!!
on May 14, 2016
Warner bros has found a way to modernize Scooby Doo without sacrificing the core of what made the Mystery inc gang famous in the 70's. All of the new Scooby Doo 'original movies' is great! There's history with the blue falcon going back four decades, and it's brought up to date with heart, humor and brilliantly colored animation. BF is one of the best, and my personal favorite of the modern 'original movies' hands down. Highly recommended for Scooby fans