on November 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
Received my Skinomi TechSkin fast! I had a temporary screen protector on my Mini until the Skinomi arrived. Make sure to follow prep instructions closely and everything will be just fine.

The back protector fit is fantastic minus an extra cutout on the volume rocker side, but everything else for the back is great! There have been some complaints about the curved edges not sticking. When really damp, they won't. All you have to do is wait till the edges dry a bit than they will adhere just fine.

The front protector, as some reviews stated, is a little short and but I'm very happy with the skin overall. The skin not going edge to edge actually helps to keep the liquid away from the bezel seams during install! Intentional or not, it did help me keep from worrying about water/solution damage during the install process.

There were some bubbles and weird marks after installing...but as Skinomi and the other reviews assure, they will go away within hours to a few days. I've had the skin on 3 days now and all streaks and bubbles are GONE! Now you can barely notice the skin is on!

Great skin overall! Will be using Skinomi from now on!
on November 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've typically paid 25 to 30 for a ghost armor or zagg skin, for the price I was willing to give it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised.

It's the same material that ghost armor and zagg uses, maybe a little bit thicker, the adhesiveness is identical, very hard to remove but removes cleanly, which is what you want for a skin

The touch and texture of the skin is very good, lends itself to a good grip

I only used the back skin, I typically don't put a skin on the glass front of my devices.

The cut is very accurate and I love the way it goes around the edges and covers the corners.

This was my first time installing a skin on my own and I learned a couple of key lessons (Make sure to watch the video and read up on how the installation is done)?
-Don't push down too hard on the rubber spatula, And make sure to spray some of the solution on top of the skin to help the spatula glide smoothly, otherwise you'll get stretch marks
-Make sure to clean your area and wash your hands before starting,
-Don't worry about micro-drops or moisture trapped behind the film, those go away after a day, If you see tiny dimples or imperfections, those go away after a couple of days
-The edges will seem like they won't stick very well because the solution that you pushed out will have pooled around the side, a good trick here is to use the cleaning cloth that's supplied, use it like you would the spatula
as you push the film around the corners, the cloth will absorb the solution as they are getting squeezed out, then leave the device alone for about 5-10 minutes, the edges will have popped back up, but that's fine, the remaining solution should have dried up in the time you left it alone, just push the edges back down into place and it should stick

It didn't look very nice the first time cause I made a lot of the mistakes mentioned above, so I purchased another one, pulled out the old one, took it slow with extra care, it looks beautiful now

I have colleagues who borrow my iPad mini and don't realize that there is a skin on it until I pointed it out

I use the Apple smart cover on my iPad Mini and the cover magnet holds very well over the skin
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2013
Verified Purchase
Being an iPhone owner since 2007, I know how difficult it is to put screen protectors on devices, and when I first got my iPad Mini I knew I would need to put some sort of screen protection on it at some point. I was skeptical about buying the Skinomi due to how difficult previous screen protectors were to put on. There is a difference however, because the Skinomi is a wet installation screen protector. I decided to give it a shot, and ordered it.

The protectors come with a sheet that informs you to watch the installation tutorial video on youtube, which I watched before I installed the shield. Overall, the installation of the protectors aren't difficult at all. You simply use the liquid spray on the back (sticky side) of the protector and put it on the screen. The liquid makes the protector slidable on the device, making it so you can line up the protector perfectly on the device. This was the hardest part about screen protectors before since I could never get anything to line up right, but with the skinomi I was able to line everything up perfectly.

You then squeegee the excess liquid out to the side of the Mini, which isn't very hard since you don't have to apply much pressure. I installed the back shield first and after squeegeeing the liquid out the protector looked extremely clear. On the front however, there was a bit of cloudiness that I couldn't get out, but as the directions say, I set the device in a drawer and didn't use it for 24 hours, and everything cleared up perfectly.

After using the protector for about a week I can say that it holds up very good. I mainly wanted a protector for the back of the device, since it gets slid around on my desk and I don't want it scratching. After a week of sliding the device a bit more than usual just to see if it holds up, I can say that there isn't a single scratch on the protector yet at all. The material is a very smooth, gummy, tough material that doesn't look like much can penetrate it. It is tough enough to prevent scratches on the back, and yet soft enough for the screen so it doesn't feel much different when touching the screen.

Overall this protector is great, and If I ever need a new protector for the mini I will happily buy from skinomi again. The only thing to keep in mind is to be patient. There's no rush, and if you take your time and follow both the included directions, as well as the tutorial youtube video, you will do fine. the only thing that bothered me was the corners on the back protector took a while to stick, but after a few minutes of putting them back down, they will stick perfectly, trust me.

Also, in case you use a smart cover, the screen protectors will still work with them.
on November 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
The skin is noticeably thicker than other films I've used in the past. While this makes it a bit tricky to install around the edges and corners, once it's on, it does feel very high quality and durable. One tip I saw on youtube was to use a blow dryer to make the film softer around the edges after you've installed the flat portion of the back and squeegeed out the water. This also dries up residual moisture around the edges and corners which makes the film easily adhere to the thinner iPad mini.

Once installed, it is very clear and the thickness of the film does not affect how the screen looks at all. For those who are having issues with the optical clarity of the front skin, I had initially thought the same thing. It looked splotchy and had bubbles that could not be easily squeegeed out. 48 hours later, all the imperfections went away and the screen looks absolutely perfect now. After 1 day, most bubbles were gone, but it took 2 whole days before every bubble cleared up on its own, so be patient and resist the urge to keep messing with it trying to get the bubbles out. Let "capillary action" take its natural course.

I must have had a later batch as I found the fit to be near perfect. It is not a perfectly seamless fit, but neither is it off by 1/4". On mine, the front skin has about a 1/16" border around the edges and the home button. This is good as I have found skins cut too close to all edges are a PITA to install perfectly and have a tendency to peel off over time. The fit of the rear skin is almost perfect as well. Mine also has the unnecessary sim cut out, but it doesn't really bother me. I also like the fact that the rear skin has a glossier finish than the smooth aluminum back which makes the iPad mini grippier and easier to hold for long periods.

FInally, I like the fact that the skinomi kit comes with everything you need including the soapy solution, micro fiber cloth, and very high quality rubber squeegee which won't scratch or damage the skin. At around $3 to $4 total including shipping, this is a great deal. Why buy a no name skin from ebay when this one is so cheap?
on November 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've been applying this kind of full body shield protector on a lot of devices from Zagg's and Bodyguardz's. after I applied i can safely say that Skinomi's skin is as good as thos big guys' skin, even better. What you get in the package is the same as what you'd get from both of the big guys', in a lower price.

I highly recommend this skin for any of your devices!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was initially skeptical about the liquid spray install, but now I'm sold. It goes on easily and the marks disappear within a few days - make sure you watch the help video on the Skinomi website. Be patient and you'll be amazed how the material clears up over the next few days. Your hands MUST be wet when handling the screen protector, or they will stick and leave finger prints. I followed the hair-dryer tip for a few of the corners and it worked like a charm.

I initially installed the skin on my new iPad Mini before I realized that the mini had been damaged in transit and I would need to return it. Being a cheapskate, I didn't want to just throw out the screen protector, so I carefully peeled it off the damaged device and re-applied it to a second iPad mini. I was certain that it wouldn't work out, but I figured I had nothing to lose if it didn't go on properly. I was also out of the original install solution, so I used filtered water from my fridge instead (I figured that the filtered water would have fewer minerals). Lo and behold! All is well. Aside from a few dust particles I picked up when I removed and re-applied, & a few wrinkles from removing, it looks purty darn good.

(note: it was only on the damaged mini for 2 days before I removed it - can't say how well it would work out if it had stayed on longer)

I will definitely buy this product again (actually, I've already ordered more for my Kindle Fire and iPad 3) and would recommend it to my friends.
on November 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
I just received my Skinomi full body protector today, and without wasting anytime I put it on my iPad right away. I have a lot of experience with these wet apply protectors so applying it was easy as pie! I will say that applying back portion of the protector was a little difficult due to the rounded edges of the iPad but I'm sure you'll face this problem with any full body protector. The fit on the back was on point to a tee, but I was a tad disappointed to see that the front protector was cut a little small and didn't cover edge to edge. Other than that all was well and Skinomi never disappoints! Packaging and presentation looks amazing and the product is even better! Now all my Apple products are covered by Skinomi and I will never go back to anything else!
on December 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
I received this product very quickly. Shipping was great and the packaging looked terrific. I was excited to put it on, so I opened it up, cleaned up my iPad and read and reread the instructions, preparing to install this skin. The instructions seemed a little daunting, but nothing that I couldn't handle. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The installation was a NIGHTMARE. The instructions are overly simple and aren't clear enough. It says to wash your hands & make sure your fingertips are wet and to apply a light, even layer of the spray solution, so I followed all this to the letter, but the skin wouldn't apply very well. I couldn't get it aligned due to the stickiness of the glue on the skin. As I was tugging on it, it seemed to stretch and pull, so it was a nightmare to be gentle enough, but to still be firm enough to pull off and then try to reinstall. I couldn't get the bubbles out quickly enough either. I ended up with HUGE bubbles that I couldn't get out without stretching the skin, due to the glue applying so quickly.

I was about to pitch it out the window when I went online & saw that Skinomi had an installation video. Nothing in my package says anything about watching a video, so this was news to me. All I have is a one sheet page of instructions with 3 SEEMINGLY simple steps. After watching the video, I know where I went wrong. The guy in the video just about soaks his hands with the spray installation. He doesn't just wash his hands and wet his fingertips, like the instructions say. Then, instead of spraying a "fine" layer of the spray, he soaks it a LOT more than I assumed that you should. After watching that, I went back, was able to peel back the skin as best I could, and reapply it in the way he shows in the video. It went on MUCH easier. The only problem is, now my skin has all these stretches, creases and smears from the first install. If I had known anything about the video before installing, maybe the install would have gone great. As it is, I have a horrible looking skin on my new iPad mini that I'm already considering taking off and pitching in the trash.

Any time you have to make an install video and point everyone in that direction instead of following the written instructions that are included in the package, that should tell you that your one page written instructions (just three easy steps! NOT) are horrible. Skinomi: quit coming on here & following up your horrible reviews with a "did you watch the instruction video?" And just rewrite your unbelievably horrible instructions or make it very plain and clear that people need to go on Youtube before attempting an install. As it is, I can't see me keeping this skin on or buying any Skinomi products in the future. Proceed at your own risk.

UPDATE: It did end up looking horrible, so I removed it and contacted Skinomi for a replacement. Now that I know how to install it (no thanks to the included instructions) I would like to try it again. If they end up sending me a replacement and it installs better, I will update the review.

UPDATE 2: Skinomi was very good about responding to my request for a replacement and sent one out free of charge, so kudos to their customer service for being helpful. After reviewing the installation video in depth this time (and ignoring the included written instructions) it was much easier to install this time. Installation was still pretty ridiculous, so buckle down for a pretty intense process, but it was definitely better this time around. I still wish they'd rewrite the included directions, but the product looks pretty good this time once I finally got it installed correctly.
on December 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
I followed all the instructions and even watched the Youtube video that was suggested twice. This product is terrible! The iPad Mini has bubbles everywhere :(
Don't bother! :(
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2012
This is an awesome screen protector; I received my iPad mini today, took it out of the box and immediately applied the skin. It took me less than 10 minutes, very easy to do. Watch the installation video twice and I got it on my first try. Make sure to install on a dust free environment. I'm very satisfied with the product especially for the price.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations