on February 12, 2013
Format: Hardcover
"Bloodlines" as a series is filled with characters that are the casualties of Rose and Lissa's happily ever after. Jill is in hiding and cannot have a normal Moroi life, because Lissa became queen. Adrian is left heartbroken and in a dark place, because Dimitri got the girl. Sydney is surrounded by the very creatures she was taught to hate as a sort of penance to the Alchemists, because she helped Rose. What I love about this story is that they began as casualties and they are quickly becoming the heroes of their own life. I don't just mean technically, because they are the stars of their own series, but also thematically. These characters have evolved. They are not victims, but warriors. A different type of warrior from Rose, but they are warriors all the same.

There is a writing term called "Crossing the Threshold" which is when the hero commits to leaving their ordinary world and condition with unfamiliar values. "The Indigo Spell" is where Sydney crosses the threshold. Sydney has been taught intolerance her entire life. She has been trained to follow leader and programed to believe that vampires are bad. After the events of "The Golden Lily," Sydney is a new person. She is now questioning her world. She has become close to vampires, has discovered magic and just following orders is no longer enough for her. Sydney has decided to make up her own mind and stop the alchemists from making it up for her. This leads to a dangerous, action packed and life changing adventure.

My favorite thing about "The Indigo Spell" is Adrian. Before you collectively roll your eyes and shout `of course,' I should be clear. I did not like Adrian in "Vampire Academy." I thought he was annoying, a party boy and I always felt that he pressured Rose into a relationship that she was not ready for. Most importantly he was not Dimitri. In Bloodlines, I am glad that he is not Dimitri. Sydney is so serious, someone like Dimitri would make these books unbearable. Adrian has the right combination of chill, loyalty and bravery to make his scenes with Sydney jump off the page. Most importantly we have seen a real change in Adrian. Richelle Mead has done a beautiful job in transforming him into the kind of man we can trust. The amount of bravery, chivalry and loyalty that Adrian exhibits in this book is astounding. I barely recognize him as the same guy who pursued Rose.

My only issue with TIS is Marcus Finch. He was just disappointing to me. I kind of saw him as this rebel bad boy warrior with irresistible charm and a head full of ideas. In a way he was all that, but I didn't find him to be irresistible. I think I imagined him to be a human ex-alchemist version of Dimitri. I thought he would be a sleek, powerful, serious, slightly more mature than the other characters and an unstoppable force. I also expected him to threaten Adrian in my heart, but nope. I think that may be Marcus' true problem. Adrian holds a place in my esteem that no one can threaten.

"The Indigo Spell" is my favorite book in the series so far. Why? For one thing, it is filled with action. There are break ins, fist fights, intrigue and many other thrills that could only really be found in the climax of previous books. The other great thing about this installment is that Sydney has stopped straddling the line and finally walks in a direction. She finally decides where her true loyalty lies and immediately jumps into action. Some of her actions are misguided and others had me cheering, still Richelle Mead has done a wonderful job of setting up "The Fiery Heart."

This book is just fantastic. It is filled with romance in a way that "Vampire Academy" just never tapped into. Sydney is a lot more resistant to it than Rose & Dimitri were due to her alchemist beliefs, but some how Richelle Mead managed to write the sweetest scenes. This book will not only have you at the edge of your seat because of the dangers, but you will be waiting with bated breath for every mention of the name "Adrian." It is absolutely amazing how quickly Adrian was able to go from ridiculous playboy to romantic hero. What I love about the characters in this series is that they are not your typical YA heroes. Adrian will never be Jace Wayland, or Dimitri. It is most likely that Sydney will have to do the rescuing most of the time and I love that Adrian knows this and it doesn't bother him. I love that Sydney is not a powerful warrior or some kind prophesied witch. They are just Sydney and Adrian, nothing special and yet absolutely amazing.

This book is an absolute must read for every fan of the series and if you are a VA fan resistant to picking up the series it is really time that you did! Great things lie ahead.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
There was almost nothing more important to me than getting my hands on this book. I mean, guys. It's Richelle Mead. It's Adrian. It's Sydney. Despite my initial misgivings about this series, these two won me way over from the get go. I was good with Bloodlines, great with The Golden Lily. Sadly, despite the Adrian and Sydney scenes that I wanted, I have to say I'm back to being just good with The Indigo Spell.

The Indigo Spell starts off only short time after the great cliffhanger of The Golden Lily. Adrian and Sydney are acting all of the awkward, which is making Jill turn away from Sydney while Eddie and Angeline are off in their own little world. Sydney's witch teacher is worried about a powerful, evil new witch in town and is obsessed with finding her, while Sydney is obsessed with finding Marcus. Adrian's just obsessed with getting Sydney to see the obvious.

Let me just say, first off, that the Adrian/Sydney dynamic is the most adorable thing ever. You could say many things about Rose/Dimitri, but you could never really use the word "adorable." Mead does a FANTASTIC job characterizing their relationship and their interactions with each other. Each action seems genuine and sincere. Every single scene with the two of them in it tugs my heart strings every which way. They aren't just great as a couple; they're great friends, too, and it shows. They really do act in a partnership, constantly making the other better. I should probably stop now before I just explode with happiness about these two.

My real problem with this book came in terms of the plot. There is just WAY too much going on. Sydney is after Marcus. Her professor is after a powerful witch who just happens to be her sister who just happens to be sucking the life force out of young, female witches. Adrian is after Sydney. Sydney is trying to figure the Alchemists out for real. In the background you have Jill still mooning over Eddie and Eddie and Angeline having interesting problems. The different plots overlap in such a way that much of the characterization outside of Adrian and Sydney is entirely lost. You barely see Eddie, Jill and Angeline at all, and when you do Sydney is basically pushing them away. She knows there's too much going on to deal with them. The different plot lines are constantly trying to push the other one out of the way until you can't tell which one you should really be focusing on. In the end, the plots peter out in such a way that it feels like they were never important to begin with. The only thing holding the whole book together is the fact that Sydney and Adrian get to spend a LOT of time together.

I understand that as a middle book in a series, Mead had to throw a bunch of new plot in to reinvigorate the story, but I really missed the group dynamic that was prevalent in the first two books. Even the ending cliffhanger wasn't as entirely engaging as the last ones. (Although, how do you top The Golden Lily, really?) Nothing particularly exciting or unexpected happened, as far as I was concerned, but I still really enjoyed it. Fans of Adrian and Sydney will NOT be disappointed. (Oh, and Rose and Dimitri fans will be happy to know we got another cameo!)
VINE VOICEon February 12, 2013
Format: Hardcover
I've heard a lot of people say that they don't like the Bloodlines series because of Sydney. She's not Rose. She hates vampires. But I implore anyone who disliked Sydney at first to give her another chance. No, she hasn't morphed into Rose. But there's more than one type of leading lady, and I love Sydney's journey.

She's basically a cult member. She grew up knowing she would be an Alchemist, going to Alchemist church, hanging out with fellow future Alchemists, Alchemist, Alchemist, Alchemist. Now, she's spent several months in the company of vampires and dhampirs with no other Alchemists in sight. She's on her own, making her life decisions for the first time, confronted with the fact that the people she's been raised hating are just people. People she might, in fact, like better than the bigots she was raised with.

And the Alchemists do not tolerate dissent. Sydney has to decide, like all teenagers, who she's going to be. Her decision could cut her off from her family, forever. It could get her killed. When she discovers Marcus Finch, she discovers that others have left the Alchemists successfully. She must decide whether she's going to follow the trail created by others or blaze her own. Even for a rogue Alchemist, falling for a vampire is liberal.

That's right, o people who have loved Sydney from the beginning, in THE INDIGO SPELL she must finally face Adrian's feelings for her and figure out how she feels in return. Anyone who has been frustrated by Sydney's complete lack of awareness of the romance she is starring in will devour THE INDIGO SPELL.

I know I said Sydney still isn't Rose, but she is definitely becoming more of an action hero. In one scene, she could be Sydney Bristow rather than Sydney Sage. She also learns to throw fireballs, which is one of those magic powers that is never not awesome. It's a good thing she's becoming better at confrontation, because there's a big bad witch come to town. That's right - an epic romance, potential rebellion, and a mystery. It's no wonder Sydney's getting tired of being the responsible one.

THE INDIGO SPELL is just as fast paced as its predecessors and just as layered. Richelle Mead tackles big issues and wraps them up in monsters, but they're still there. THE INDIGO SPELL is no disappointment and I cannot wait for book four.

I leave you with a quote from Adrian (page 28, ARC): "You're not as much of a lost cause as she was. I mean, with her, I had to overcome her deep, epic love with a Russian warlord. You and I just have to overcome hundreds of years' worth of deeply ingrained prejudice and taboo between our two races. Easy."
on February 18, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
With the way things ended in The Golden Lily I was really anitcipating this book. I'm really close to liking this series more than Vampire Academy. While I did enjoy the read, I almost think my expectations may have been a little too high for this one. I just remember being kind of thrown off and surprised by the previous two books, and now that I know how the series is going to go and more of the story I think I put too much pressure on this book to be more extraordinary.

The Indigo Spell picks up a few weeks after the events of The Golden Lily. After Adrian's declaration of his affections for Sydney things have been a little tense between them. Since Jill is connected with Adrian there's also tension between Sydney and Jill. But on a trip back east for Sonja's wedding Sydney and Adrian are thrown together and decide to let the tension go. I'm glad that Richelle Mead made the decision to have the characters remain civil to each other instead of throwing in a lot of angst. Vampire Academy, I found, was filled with angst of Rose and Dimitri's slightly scandalous feelings for each other, but to me Richelle Mead stayed true to the characters in that being angst-driven is not a trait of Sydney's. I found that I liked (as in the previous two books) the scenes with Adrian and Sydney the most. I wanted them to be together and throw banter back and forth and just because their feelings are hanging in the air over them didn't diminish their chemistry from the story at all.

The Golden Lily was filled with a lot of revelations. Besides Adrian's feelings finally coming out, we learn about Marcus Finch who apparently broken from the Alchemists, something that Sydney has never heard of before. The Indigo Spell finds Sydeny persuing the Marcus Finch angle. She hasn't been too impressed with the way the Alchemists are dealing with things. She feels like they are keeping secrets from her, and this causes her to wonder how far the secrets go and what else the higer-ups are keeping from everyone else.

I was happy that Richelle Mead didn't drag out things with the Marcus Finch storyline. Sydney does, in fact, make contact with him, but what results is less than impressive and obviously Mead wrote this storyline this way because Sydney is less than impressed with Marcus as well by the end.

The secondary storyline in the book involves a Mrs. Terwillinger's sister. A rogue witch who is apparently attacking young inexperienced witches that have a lot of power and harvesting the power for herself to keep herself strong and young forever. While I felt that this storyline was the more interesting of the two, I was still less than impressed overall. I mean in The Golden Lily we find out about the Warriors who are an organization (much like the alchemists) who want to destroy Strigoi. Unlike the alchemists, however, they have now moved their sights to the Moroi and possibly people who are on the side of the Moroi as well. While we do learn a little more condeming information linking the Warriors and the Alchemists, I really felt that the Indigo Spell lacked a good evil opponent.

Regardless, this book was clearly not about Sydney and Co facing down a big bad. This book was about the culmination of changes that Sydney has been experiencing in herself since she was introduced in the later Vampire Academy books. This book is a turning point in Sydney's person. She has a lot of decisions to make and she makes them in this book, we the reader will obviously see the consequences of her decisions in The Fiery Heart which will be out later this year. Will Sydney be able to balance her true feelings with how she presents herself to the Alchemists without being found out? I'm looking forward to finding out.
on May 6, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Let me start off by saying that Richelle Mead rocks and she is my absolute favorite author! I have read all of her books and she has never failed to please me and while I enjoyed this book, to be completely honest, it didn't surpass the awesomeness of The Golden Lily.

Indigo Spell, the latest installment in the Bloodlines Series, follows only a short time after the cliffhanger of The Golden Lily. Adrian and Sydney are acting awkward towards each other, Jill has given Sydney the cold shoulder over her situation with Adrian, while Eddie and Angeline are happy in their own little bubble. Sydney becomes obsessed in finding Marcus Finch the former Alchemist, in hope of shining some light on what the Alchemists are hiding. Ms. Terwilliger asks Sydney for help fearing an evil witch in the area will come after Sydney's untrained natural witch ability and Adrian makes it his mission to make Sydney see that she is in fact in love with him.

What I did enjoy about The Indigo Spell is the way the main characters are evolving; I love the way Sydney is becoming such a mentally, intellectually and emotionally strong character, which are the attributes I find the most appealing in a heroine. I like the way Sydney starts to challenge and question the beliefs that have been drummed into her head her whole life and asks herself what she believes in and what she wants. I look forward to witnessing Sydney's future self-discovery and growth.

And then there is Adrian, for me Adrian makes this series. I read the pages waiting for Adrian to pop into the scene to make a witty remark or say something humble from the heart. Even though I felt sorry for him in Vampire Academy for not ending up with Rose, I never felt that Rose complemented Adrian the way she complemented Dimitri. Whereas Sydney, who his complete opposite, absolutely complements Adrian and together they are magic.

I also want to mention Jill, whose character made a huge impact in this book with the way she is maturing and showing great signs of strength. Even though she wasn't involved in this book as much as the rest of the series so far, the moments she was in the book were full of punch and she was a huge influence reasoning with Sydney.

One character that did disappoint me was Marcus Finch; he was not what I was expecting. I thought he would be more of a threat to Adrian towards Sydney in some sort of love triangle but I felt his lack of personality and presence in this book was a huge let down.

I don't know how I feel about this book's overall plot and the direction this series might be heading, it is not what I was expecting. I am going to save my judgment for the release of Fiery Heart where I am interested to further explore how Sydney's story will develop with her sister Zoe coming into the scene. Most importantly, I am really interested to see how Sydney and Adrian get their alone time! So bring on November, I truly hope this chemistry between Sydney and Adrian truly keeps escalating up, up and away - fingers crossed!!!
on December 1, 2013
Format: Paperback
The Bloodlines series continues to leave me amazed and desperate for more and this latest installment definately does not dissapoint.

The Indigo Spell continues Sydney's story from just after the point that The Golden Lily ended at.

As in The Golden Lily, it opens into a few scenes which remind us how the Alchemists feel towards the Vampire races and provides more insight into Sydney's ralationship with her own race in conrast to that whith her Vampire friends.

As Sydney constantly battles to keep the identity of her Vampire friends a secret from the humans surrounding them she must also hide her friendshipfrom the other Alchemists.
She finds herself getting pulled into a battle of good versus evil to save not only everyone she cares about but the innocents nearby from an scheming witch who could do no limit of bad. On top of these situations she finds herself falling deeply for Moroi Vampire and commonly-known bad boy Adrian.

Despite them having a mutual understanding of each other that runs deeper that she is willing to accept Sydney must decide if she will follow her head or her heart.

With another excessively long list of hilariarity and absoloutely gorgeous moments what isn't to love about The Indigo Spell??

I for one adore it and found it just as good as it the books before it. The inclusion of magical elements and new characters is something that was well done and didn't feel as though it had been rushed or an after though.

Marcus was quite a pushy character and im sure that we havnt seen the last of him. Although I disliked him because of his pushiness and self-assured attitude I find that he was quite a well written character besides that and I like the idea behind him and his group.
Quite a few of the plot twists involving Angeline were ones that at this stage seem to be quite unnecessary although I am sure that more shall be revealled in The Fiery Heart.

Aaaaarrgghhh!!! I simply cannot express my excitement for The Fiery Heart it is the book I absoloutely CANNOT wait for this year and would just about kill for!! Aargh! More Adrian!! <3
on May 12, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
Anything Adrian related in this book I loved, everything else was kinda take it or leave it for me.

There was a lot of area's that were so detail heavy that I had to skim to get through it and there was SO much going on (too much to keep me interested I was just getting annoyed)between Marcus and The Alchemists and the witches and Jill and the gang but yet not enough to really care about any of it.

So I guess I will continue the series on but just won't rush out to buy it.
on February 19, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Great Storyline! The only thing I dislike about these books is waiting so long for the next one to come out!
on April 27, 2014
Format: Paperback
I love, love, love Richelle Mead’s Bloodlines series. Seriously, I was addicted to VA for such a long time and got so sad when the series came to an end, but Bloodlines has gotten pretty freaking amazing. Getting to see a new part of the VA universe, the world of the Alchemists, has been nothing short of awesome. Since I finished The Golden Lily I have been dying to get started on The Indigo Spell and by the time I finished it I was screaming. Seriously, somebody has to give me The Fiery Heart right now.

After having Adrian admit his feeling to her only for her to turn him down, things have been awkward between Sydney, Jill and Adrian. While it has been putting a strain on her relationship with the vampire princess, Sydney has more on her plate than usual. Dealing with her secret meetings with her teacher as she begins to master magic; discovering that there’s a new witch in town, Veronica, who plans on sucking the youth and magic out of young girls; finding the elusive and mysterious Marcus Finch, the only person known to have left the Alchemists and give Sydney the answers she seeks; and dealing with her relationship with Adrian.

Soon Sydney finds herself hunting down both Marcus and Veronica. Both pull her closer than she would like toward Adrian as she tries to fight the undeniable attraction between herself and Adrian (who has vowed that even if Sydney won’t reciprocate his feelings, he’ll just love her from afar). Sydney begins to question everything that she knows about the Alchemists, her mission and herself.

I loved everything about The Indigo Spell. It was just perfect, which it seems everything that Richelle Mead writes is. P-e-r-f-e-c-t. The amount of romance in the story, the amount of action and magic and detailing it all just clicked together in the right way. Readers who have read The Golden Lily but haven’t had the time to get to The Indigo Spell need to get reading right away. This is, in my opinion, the best novel I’ve read out of the three Bloodlines novels. Kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

As always, Mead’s writing brings the characters to life and makes the setting and story all the more real. Throughout reading The Indigo Spell I could easily see the characters and the plot happening in my head like a movie. Scene for scene. It was awesome. With the way tthat Mead writes there are lots of times where I would go through a hundred pages of the story without noticing and find myself unable to put the book down because a) I was addicted and b) I’m falling for Adrian the way I fell for Dmitri in VA.

There’s lots of Adrian being his sexy self in The Indigo Spell guys. Apart from him being a drop-dead attractive goofball we also get to see a lot of his vulernable, emotional side that cares a lot about Sydney. He does so much in The Indigo Spell to woo her and win her over so that she will finally be his and over and over again I would yell at Sydney for always making up excuses to push him away. Just accept that he’s in love with you and that you guys will be perfect together. So what if he’s a vampire?

This ending will leave you emotionally compromised (and I mean that in a good way). That cliff hanger? And what occurs between certain characters that had me screaming? Amazing. As I said before, I’m literally dying to read The Fiery Heart and I need is ASAP.

I would recommend the Vampire Academy series and the Bloodlines companion series to readers that are big fans of the YA vampire scene, readers who want some breathtaking romance and to anybody who just wants a really good, brilliantly-crafted, story.
Format: Hardcover
2013 has been a great year for books and we're only 7 weeks in! The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead was my joint most anticipated book of 2013 along with Requiem by Lauren Oliver and not that I was worried but it didn't disappoint!

The Indigo Spell is the third in the Bloodlines Series and is by far the strongest so far. I didn't think Mead could top The Golden Lily in terms of "squee-ness" (Yes it's totally a word!) but good grief I practically needed a bucket to mop me up off the floor I melted so many times!

Sydrian is fast becoming the true Power Couple of the VA universe and they can only get better.

Indigo picks up a few weeks after the shocking kiss that rocked Sydney's core as she realised her code of ethics she has so staunchly lived by for her whole life is crumbling due a vampire with startling green eyes and an unshakeable love for her, Adrian Ivashkov.

The relationship between the two grows deeper in this book as they try to find a balance between the rules of their universe and the love bubbling under the surface threatening to overspill at any moment.

Sydney has come along way since her first appearance in the VA `verse and in particular since Bloodlines and we really get to see her shine. To put it mildly, Sydney kicks ass! Juggling her duties as an alchemist with her burgeoning talents as a witch, playing big sister to Jill and the rest of the gang and actually being able to show some restraint in the presence of Adrian (Come on girls, could you do it??) without dropping the ball is so much fun to read and creates some seriously comical moments.

The two major plots are the disappearance of potential witches in LA and Sydney tracking down the mysterious Marcus Finch, ex Alchemist and (rumoured) badass and both storylines are compelling to read and at no point does the book stutter in pace like I felt it did in Bloodlines.

Adrian's role in this book is pretty much tied up with Sydney so at the risk of spoiling a great read I will just say it's seriously enjoyable.

We get more of an insight into the Alchemist world which sets things up nicely for The Fiery Heart with a few surprising appearances to cause some upheaval.

The heart is of course Sydrian but the real star is Sydney and her evolution from insecure, uptight, slightly disordered girl into a strong confident young women who is capable of recognising what it right and true in the world and fearlessly grabbing what is hers with two hands.

What more could any of us want?

Favourite Quotes

"Just something kicking around in my head. Reminds me of you. Fiery and sweet, all at the same time. A flame in the dark, lighting my way."

"I just kept thinking of his words: I'm still here, still in love with you, and care about you more than any other guy ever will."

Rating: FIVE Stars! ★★★★★