Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals egg_2015 Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on December 13, 2010
I'm very pleased I found this book. I've tried a number of different approaches to lose that "tire" I've carried around for the last several years...Atkins, the Zone, South Beach...but with each one I've felt like I wasn't getting the complete nutritional spectrum I needed, and I felt like I was depriving myself of some of my favorites. This book seems to draw the best from a number of different approaches, and repackages it in a reasonable, sensible manner. Dr. Stork doesn't advocate starving yourself, or swearing off all kinds of foods...he rather suggests moderation, healthy alternatives, and a balanced approach. Refreshing.

Dr. Stork puts equal emphasis on an active lifestyle, which I like. Finding ways to incorporate little changes in your level of activity can add up...I like the fact he doesn't beat you over the head with some Jersey Shore-like workout regimen. I'm looking for a lean, healthy physique, which reflects a healthy lifestyle. This approach advocated in the book I think I can stick with.

This book is written much in the same manner as Men's Health magazine, which I like...short digestible segments of easy-to-understand advice, backed by research. You can pick up the book and read a section or two, and get find something useful immediately. No program, no steps, just helpful lifestyle advice.

I think anyone looking to either enhance their current fitness/nutritional approach, or anyone that's been frustrated with "diets" in the past, could benefit from this book.
on December 7, 2010
When I bought this book, I expected it to be more like a set of guidelines to follow; which it is in some ways. The authors lays out some good guidelines to follow, and the Pick 3 life changes to make seem like they would work. However, most of the stuff in the book is something that you could just as easily find with a 5 minute Google search. Also, I do not think he talks about his tips as in-depth as he should. Throughout the book he includes a bunch of simple tips to follow, but he basically just says "Here it is!", and then never really explains the point or revisits it later on.

The one area where I feel that this book would be helpful for some people are in the eating and workout plans he outlines. He does a good job of describing everything you need to make the food and how to actually make it. The same can be said of the workout plans in which he provides good pointers. However, I feel that the workout plans are fairly basic and mostly for people who have little exercising experience.

I was expecting a book full of guidelines of little changes you can make in everyday life, but what I got was a book with a lot of basic tips that I already knew and a basic workout plan. I also was not expecting so much of the book to be dedicated to a specific diet plan where he lays out 4 weeks of meals and how to make them; I was not really looking for a guide that was going to put me on a specified eating plan.

Overall, I give the book 2 stars because I don't like it and I do not think it can really help me. However, this rating could be misleading because I imagine that there are many people out there who would like it and could benefit from it. I think that this book would most benefit people who are very overweight or obese and have little knowledge of exercise or nutrition. If you are just 10-20 pounds overweight and are trying to lose that last bit of flab, this book is NOT for you.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2010
This is a great book with a broad potential audience. Travis Stork and Peter Moore describe the "normal" situation today with a lot of heart. The "normal" situation is one in which people eating common foods and living a common lifestyle swiftly accumulate abdominal fat and a standard set of health problems that seem to multiply, one after another -- and that this makes people end up feeling bad about themselves and feeling older than they are and not knowing where to begin. But the authors move quickly forward with optimism and pragmatism and a simple set of realistic choices for those who commit themselves to dropping the pounds and start feeling better, looking better, and increasing their chances of living longer. Their dietary advice reflects some of the smartest advice about nutrition going today, as far as I can tell -- it talks about foods, rather than nutrients, and is smart enough to know that the problem is largely one of carbs and processed foods -- often foods marketed as "healthy", ironically -- rather than eggs or dairy fat or saturated fat in meat. I found it refreshing to see someone point out that 2 percent milk can help you absorb vitamins and it slows down your digestion. They also push fresh foods at every turn, of course. As fro the practical advice, they talk less about what you should look for in labels and more about what your fridge and kitchen cupboards should look like. They get the fact that sweetened sodas account for belly fat more than probably any other item in the food supply. They understand that "diets" don't work, but broad changes in how you think about food and fun does. They break down exercise into a simple but effective planks, pushes pulls and squats -- but they also talk about habits of movement that help, like cleaning your house in the evening rather than watching TV. Easy to read too.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2011
First things first. I bought the Kindle edition, and I did notice a few places where it seemed something was missing. For example, one of the sample workouts was missing a few of the exercises. In other places, the formatting seemed a bit off. And, frankly, a book like this, especially if you want to go back and refer to it again, based on your preference, you may rather have a paper copy, as it is easier to tab things and flip to and through. But such is the nature of an e-book, I guess.

Now to the content. Overall, not a bad book. Some good advice and tips in here. Unfortunately, if you read Men's Health or other health/fitness magazines or websites, you probably know a lot of this already, if not all of it. Plus, perhaps worst of all, it really seems like he is just repeating and expanding on the same dozen or so tips over and over. It is VERY repetitive in this regard, but that might have been intentional, and not just a way to fill pages. Perhaps the idea is that repetition will let it sink in better, but I can't help but feeling a bit shortchanged once I realized I was suddenly at the end and felt like I had read some things before in the same book.

The tips and suggested changes are all good, especially for people who are finally ready to make a change for the better, people who drink 6 non-diet cokes a day or who think McDonald's is actual food and not just a guilty treat. If you have much experience or have done any reading on this sort of thing before, however, I would recommend browsing through it at a local bookstore before committing your cash to it, because it may disappoint you.
on December 17, 2010
The title of this book is misleading. The focus is on loosing weight and it is intended for those with a weight problem. My weight is fine but I need to loose belly fat. I have had 4 children and the older I get the more belly fat I have to deal with. Is there anything more that I can do or eat to get a lean belly? I do abdominal exercises and have a good diet. I hoped this book would offer something new on how to get rid of my belly fat. Dr Travis discussed food but there was nothing that I had not already read in other books. My question remains...what specific foods go directly to my belly and stay there forever? And that question remained unanswered after reading this book. For those who want to read another book on how to loose weight this book contains sound advice and was fun to read.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2011
Very lengthy at saying not much of anything. basically said just eat healthy and no fast carbs. How he made that into a book I don't know.
on January 14, 2011
The "hook" for this book is the hunky TV doc who promises a lean belly! Loaded with stats about the average American's unhealthy eating habits that are creating dangerous belly fat with suggestions on how to change. Offers options for healthier choices and some recipes but nothing really new. Recipes seem a bit labor intensive & not really exciting to make them worth the effort and most are for one serving...great if you live alone! Also no nutritional info included with the recipes. Includes a variety of "on your own" workouts that probably require loads of self motivation & discipline...wouldn't work for me!
on March 25, 2011
This is an eye opener! I'm utilizing the plan and have lost 36 lbs! My energy is thru the roof and I feel 7 1/2 years younger (working on 10)!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
Though I haven't completed the book it gives advice on how to really just have more enjoyment in life, eat better and get out and do fun things. Pretty basic advice. There's not going to be any easy way to a lean stomach but if you just eat healthier, do a little more activities with family and friends and some of the exercises he shows in his book then you should have no problem getting the lean stomach you want. It's all about willpower which I lack because of a bad back and surgery I had on my back. I'm limited to what I can do. But I still have the rest of the book the read. I figure I take what I like and can use from the book and what I can't use I leave behind. It's worth the read.
on January 26, 2012
Anyone who has even a modest knowledge of healthy eating will gain little from this book. Most of the information is already well known. It doesn't help me much, as I had already been using 90% of the suggestions listed. However, it may be useful to someone who is just starting out with weight management & has a lot of changes to make.
As for the writing style, the author spends a little too much time trying to be cute. He seems to think he is on TV, repeating those short phrases that serve well as sound bites. It gets tiresome after awhile. Fewer attempts at humor & more emphasis on practical advise would have been more useful.