Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Queen Of The Flat Top Guitar
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 14, 2013
I do not have sufficient knowledge to understand why this music is so remarkable, but I like it, and will listen to it several more times.
on February 14, 2016
Yup
on August 20, 2014
Labor of love by the producers/researchers otherwise this wonderful, sweet music would have been lost forever.
on March 2, 2014
It is one person playing a guitar. There are times when listening to Lena Hughes is relaxing and pleasing. I'm glad I bought into NPR's recommendation.
on January 10, 2014
I originally listened to a portion of this CD on NPR - I understood it was one of a kind. It is. Beautiful music, one of a kind compositions and just such clear sound. I do not play guitar or any other instrument, but listening to this I feel as is I am the one playing!
Rosas, in Riverside, CA
on July 11, 2013
I bought this after hearing Lena Hughes profiled on NPR. I was interested enough that after listening to the blurbs of songs here on Amazon, I bought it right then. Although many of the songs sound similar, it is so relaxing to have this going on my drive home! Almost sounds like slack-key guitar. Very talented guitarist.
on May 15, 2013
That this CD exists is a testament to the importance of Tompkins Square records. An almost impossible-to-find rarity on its original vinyl, Hughes' recording offers a window into a style of guitar playing that l'd previously only read about: 19th century parlor guitar music. Before gramophones and recorded music came along, popular songs of the day were learned by reading sheet music, and played for family and friends in one's parlor. This is a wonderful selection of those songs, played by a woman who learned them in that traditional way. The playing is guileless and imperfect, and can only bring smiles to a listener's face. A vital, necessary recording for lovers of fingerstyle and instrumental guitar music.
on April 23, 2013
Lena Hughes should be well known in American music circles but she is not. This CD provides a glimpse of past greatness by a self taught musician on the frontier.
on April 22, 2013
I'm afraid I expected more from Lena. I just couldn't get passed the caterwauling of her voice. I really wanted to love this, too.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2013
I presume the content is all she recorded but if not I would have appreciated more tunes. Lena Hughes has a unique and engaging style