Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: We Want O Groove
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 29, 2013
I read...

"Rock Candy Funk Party is the brainchild of Bonamassa's drummer Tal Bergman and guitarist Ron DeJesus - the two issued an album in 2007 called Grooove Vol.1 - who began a series of jams at Hollywood's famed jazz hotspot, The Baked Potato. Bassist Mike Merritt and keyboardist Renato Neto soon joined in, and finally Bonamassa decided to give it a go. The quintet clicked, and after a few more appearances they took their act into the studio."

Think of a place the size of a large garage but the garage band is made up of some of the best musicians in the world. It's downright obscene how lucky some people can be to luck into a venue like that. I'm envious.

This is one fantastic collaboration of musicians consisting of Joe Bonamassa (guitar), Ron DeJesus (guitar), Mike Merrit (bass), Renato Neto (Keys) and Tal Bergman (drums and producer).

This is 70's/80's improvisational funk groove with a generous smattering of fusion jazz , which is covered with a heaping helping layer of progressive rock. Just like Jeff Beck dishes out on a regular basis. The guys push the boundaries on this one with an endless driving bass and drum line characteristic of funk music.

"Featuring nine tracks, eight originals and one cover, the album is full of space and texture, mashed up funk, jazz, rock and virtuoso musicianship. A bonus DVD is also included that features a making-of featurette, two in-the-studio featurettes and the official "Octopus-e" music video."

I hear a Herbie Hancock/Miles Davis influence but with the Band's own spin on every song, making them their own.

I read...

Bonamassa:
"For me, this is great. I've had a solo project for a long time, and I did the Black Country Communion thing, which was more of a democracy, although something of an ADD-fest. I really love being in a group, and in this situation, I'm by far the most untrained, unqualified musician in the room. I like that. It makes me a better player."

Joe Bonamassa is a busy man. The group only had 10 days to put this together, and all originals mostly with the end result being perfection. The ten minute epic funk-fest "The Best Ten Minutes of Your Life" is in my opinion one of the stellar performances on the CD. I respect JB's approach to life and his music, he is definitely a team player blending in and not trying to showboat. His riff-mate Ron DeJesus is a captivating performer, very energetic, with notes tripping across the fretboard at amazing speed, changing direction with lofty precision but still fitting, seamlessly, into the performance.

"Instrumental groove record" is exactly what this record is. Or, you can call it funky rock-jazz, acid jazz or fusion jam music. Whatever label you apply, it harkens back to the golden era of raw and funky electric groove music perpetrated by merchants like Harvey Mandel, Jeff Beck and Herbie Hancock's Headhunters."

"We Want Groove", and this world class group delivers. RCFP is another departure from the norm by JB and as usual a fresh spin on old timeless musical styles is achieved. Some die hard fans may not take to this offering because it strays from JB's usual musical rock/blues recipe but I feel that he will gain a whole new following. The fusion funk followers. I really don't give a rats petunie, it's JB and the musicianship is crank !

Go JB Go, you the man !
66 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2013
I bought this album because I'm a huge Joe Bonamassa fan.

If you're expecting the typical Joe jams and solos then don't buy this. However, if you're looking for an updated and awesome take on funk and jazz fusion then click purchase now.

As you listen through the tracks the album starts VERY strong - hits a little bit of a lull around mid point - then finishes just as strong as it starts. World class musicians making world class music. Enjoy.
You just never know where Joe Bonamassa will turn up next. Here it's in a world class supergroup of like-minded musicians culling a funky groove into nine songs that defy genre but are amazing to listen to regardless of your normal musical preferences. Along with Joe, Renato Neto (keyboards), Mike Merritt (bass), Ron DeJesus (guitar), and Tal Bergman (drummer for Bonamassa and others) join in the fracas to make one of the most interesting rhythm-driven albums in recent memory. It's an album that's impossible to precisely pigeonhole, but if you want a preview find the "Octopus-e" video, or just watch it on the enclosed bonus DVD, which also features some interesting behind the scenes stuff fans will be sure to enjoy.

While "We Want O Groove" is impossible to precisely classify as it crosses so many genre barriers in the last expected ways imaginable, it's a great effort and well worth adding to your collection.
on November 18, 2013
I cannot tell you how good this is in this little review box. You can't box in Bonamassa! If you like Guitar Driven Rock, Blues, Blues Rock, Jazz - all from a very young guy who not only writes his lyrics but also his music and it's actually good - you want this.This guy is the most under-rated musician you have never heard of. When you hear this (hopefully through real speakers - not amped up bass boosters from hell) you will hear music - like it's the first time. I accidentally found him and bought 2 CDs.
Then I went to a used CD shop and bought the rest of his entire catalog (new & unopened) including the 2 CDs with Beth Hart and his first rock band's CD and his other pet project Rock Candy Funk Party. Then I found the DVD concerts and then the blu rays concerts. I'm tellin' you "Get up off-a that thing".........and buy ALL OF IT. You WILL thank me.....
on November 6, 2015
Does the band get into the groove? Do they have funk? Are the recording, production, and levels of high quality? To these questions, which are critical components to any good album, the answer is definitely YES! So what is the problem. The tracks are not really songs, in the sense they have no beginning, bridge, or end. All are fine groove rhythms, with some funky flourishes, and they go on and on - then fade out. James Brown, the Godfather of Funk and Groove, could go on and on ( sometimes way too long ), but knew how to wrap a song up to a satisfying conclusion. That does not happen here, nor on Rock Candy Funk Party's other album either. This is too bad, for there is real talent here, and some really tasty groove, but it makes the album hard to enjoy. Each cut is like they are saying, "Okay now, here is another funky groove!" Some of the cuts almost feel like the listener is joining the jam while in progress, and the engineer turned down the levels after five minutes. A lot of potential here, but mostly to be sampled or thrown on to a mix CD, not to be enjoyed in its entirety. I really had my hopes up, because the world needs to groove to some good new funk!
on March 12, 2013
I preordered this cd as a Valentine's Day gift for my husband. We love Joe Bonamassa and have ordered his cd's through Amazon in the past. I had received an e-mail from Amazon telling me that this was his newest cd being released and I could preorder for the best price. I was very pleased with the low price guarantee through Amazon and the cd did come during the expected time it was promised. The reason for my 4-star rating is that we were disappointed that the cd contains many artists and not a lot of Joe Bonamassa. I knew there were other artists on the cd and we've purchased another cd where he collaborated with Beth Hart and found we LOVE her so I wasn't scared off by other artists being featured. This cd just didn't resonate as well with my husband as other cds have. If you are looking for Joe Bonamassa's music, there are better cds to purchase, in my opinion.
on February 22, 2013
Wow do I ever like this release!

As a percussionist brought up on hair metal in high school who became friends with two different funk drummers, I really, really, really appreciate this CD. It's a nice blend of many musical worlds, and it constantly has me tapping along with the funky grooves.

Lately, I've seen Joe Bonamassa in my hometown of Detroit... then traveled to see his band in Indianapolis... and then many months later in Toledo, Ohio... with the latter two shows showing glimpses of the Rock Candy Funk Party groove. It was a pleasant surprise. Even nicer was when I attended the Toledo JB show in November of 2012, and afterwards, expecting to hear ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses" coda, we were treated to RCFP instead. Hearing this "new" groove caused me to ask the soundman about the song. He responded: "Rock Candy Funk Party... with their release coming out in late January 2013."

So I pre-ordered here on Amazon... and was delighted when the CD/DVD package arrived.

It starts out strong... and then gets into some "cooler" night-time grooves.

With the last song being intriguing for its 3 minute use of silence.

It's not your usual Joe Bonamassa blues-rock blend at all.

Instead, it's synergistic school for the oh-so-cool!

Funkus Maximus indeed!! Two thumbs way up!!!

Brian Shell
Author, Artist, Musician
on February 2, 2013
Great CD, listening to it right now! Music is really FUN, and it is an excellent sounding CD.
Joe is a guest with this group, this is pretty much Tal's CD. Just think 70's funk!
on April 28, 2013
I heard about this cd on Joe Bonamassa's web site. I was curious. Listened to one free song and I liked it. It reminds me of music from late 70's and early 80's. Different than Joe's typical blues rock. I listen to it a lot in the car, at the gym. cool songs.
on July 2, 2013
There isn't a genre on the planet that couldn't benefit from a healthy dose of "Vitamin JB". Admittedly, I 'm a tad biased. I own his entire catalog, including all of his concert DVD's and would probably buy his album of children's music if it existed. What can I say? I love the guy.