Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: O2COOL® 10-inch Portable Fan with AC Adapter
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 6, 2013
It's a pretty good little fan, and I've got no complaints for the $20 price. A very necessary item for camping or hiking during hot and humid summer days, when you can't always count on a breeze when you want it. Also makes a rather quiet and conveniently sized fan around your home, car, or office (I've often been annoyed that 120V box fans are so loud, even on their LOW setting). And an important bit of emergency preparedness, providing just a little bit of airflow and cooling in event of grid power failing during hot summer days (hope you've got LOTS of fully-charged D batteries lying around, or a spare car battery!).

On LOW it's pretty quiet, about as loud as a ceiling fan. If you're sensitive to noise, it might bother you just a little bit trying to sleep in-front of it. But when you really need it, you probably won't complain...
My only objection is the two screws you have to lighten/loosen to change the batteries. A bit of hassle, that could have been avoided. I wish they had used some other method to hold the batteries securely that didn't require the extra time and tools.

I am happy to see that the AC adapter is 12V (which is very common), even though the 6xD batteries will only provide about half that, requiring more circuitry within the fan. It runs noticeably faster and louder on 12V than on batteries, but nothing dramatic. I also love that the outlet/receptacle on the fan accepts BOTH of the two most common type of DC barrel plugs, making a good connection with either, so a couple of car/cig adapters I've already got laying around work just perfectly with this fan.

Specs on AC/DC wall-wart:

Switching Adapter
MODEL:SUN-1200070
INPUT:100-240V~ 50/60Hz 0.05A
OUTPUT:12V --- 0.7A (positive center polarity)

Measured power consumption:
LOW: 5W
HIGH: 9W
PF: .51

The electronics near the plug (presumably the voltage regulator) gets noticeably warm during operation on wall or car power (but not on battery power). But after a several hours, it still seems to be staying only just slightly warm, so no worries, but it might have been a bit more efficient with a different design.
55 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2013
I love this fan and highly recommend it. It is very lightweight, and your first impression may be that it is junk, but it really performs. The low setting is a light breeze, true, but the high setting really kicks out some cooling power. I needed a cat-safe fan, and this is it. On battery, I've left it operating on low for over two days straight and it was still working. The fact you can switch between AC and battery is a huge plus.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2015
These fans work 4 / or about 10 hr’s then start pulsating (goes faster then slows - makes you think their is some thing wrong with your house wiring or the transformer). It will bog down and quit all together. Like a moron – I purchase three of these; two have died the same way the third is still in the box, all past the 30 day Amazon return window. I did manage to get one returned in the warranty period, but it too quit just after short use. After taking one of the motors apart, the motor was full (loaded up) with brush grindings. The brush it self had a point on each corner and never allowed the brush to seat on the armature. The fans should be recalled or warranted, as they were assembled with defective motors. I need a replacement motor for this fan, (x) three. The numbers on the motor: Made by JY Motor. # 20118 9v -- My internet research on 02-cool took me to their web sight, (www.02-cool.com) were I left a help request and then a phone number 312-951-6700 were I also left a message, in short there is no customer support what so ever for these fans. I also tried to locate a replacement motor unit with no luck. Would not recommend this fan to anyone
review image review image
on July 12, 2013
We bought this for our underground tornado shelter. It provides much needed air circulation as we take shelter from the numerous tornadoes that threaten the Oklahoma City and surrounding areas such as Moore and El Reno. If you have one of these lifesaving shelters, add a fan to circulate the hot and humid air.
on May 20, 2014
We bought 2 of these fans from Amazon....only one worked properly. The other one gave almost no air and it was very difficult to put the batteries in and take them out. We are returning the fan because it does not work. We would not recommend this fan to anyone.
We even went to the store and purchased two more to see if they worked, and they did not work either and we had to return them.
on March 12, 2014
I purchased this product for a camping trip last summer. Completely saved me from the heat! This little guy is pretty powerful and has two speeds which are nice. Takes D batteries and not once did I have to change them the four days we were camping. The fan was on all night for 4 nights in a row (and at random times during the day as well) and never floundered. It is nice and compact - very easy to travel with. However - this is a one person fan! If you are looking for a fan to keep multiple people cool at once - look elsewhere. But I definitely recommend this product if you are looking for a fan for one person use.
on June 30, 2014
UPDATE: The fan is dead. Fried. Done. Despite my glowing review below, this is a very cheaply made product that offers novel features, but no longevity. I wouldn't recommend.

For the price, this is awesome. Wind output is decent (best suited for a small room).

The switch on the side is a little annoying because it has a random "stop" function between the low and high setting. So "off" is when switch is all the way down. Slide it up one notch for "low", then another notch up for "stop" (not sure why you would want that), and then all the way up for "high." I pretty much just leave it on high. Also, because the unit is so lightweight, with the switch on the side you'll need both hands to turn this on and off.

Haven't tried this with batteries yet, but I am going to try using it with an Anker external battery charger (for my iphone). Will update soon.

Best part about this fan is the design. It looks modern, and can sit on a very narrow windowsill. It's quiet, so those looking for substantial white noise might be disappointed.

On a final note, to anyone who finds the battery compartment confusing and challenging, holy hell... the world must be such a strange, strange place for you, full of puzzles and conundrums and complications. Like flip caps on toothpaste... DO YOU FLIP THE CAP OR UNSCREW IT?!? OMG BETTER POST A QUESTION ABOUT THAT ON AMAZON AND SEE HOW PEOPLE DO IT.

(This is how dub-yah got 2 terms--everyone's allowed to vote).

EDIT: I had to buy a separate USB-to-USB cord (~$7 on amazon), and happy to say this works with the Anker external battery charger! The wind output is significantly less as compared to being plugged into the wall outlet, but it works as a small breeze tabletop fan. I love the portability. I haven't tried with D batteries yet, but I would imagine that D batteries would let it run at a higher output (similar to being plugged in). I'm now testing to see how long the Anker will let run from full to empty.

Update: With a fully charged Anker Astro 3E, the fan ran on high from 1pm to 6:23am. Not bad. But note that the output is VERY low, suitable for a car or small camper -- you'll be disappointed if you think it'll cool you off in your big bedroom.
review image
33 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2015
This fan does what I want from a fan with batteries. Sometimes I put it behind the window in bathroom after I take shower and sometimes I put it in kitchen when I am using the the oven. It is portable and small enough to fit in our windows.
I am happy with this purchase.
review image review image
on June 7, 2014
I bought two of these. I don't mind a fan making "white noise" - in fact it can be very useful for sleep. Both of these pieces of junk have very poor motors in them, which often make loud rattling or clattering noises (hard to describe) throughout the night. Both fans started doing it within the first few weeks and became progressively louder, to the point that I smashed one in the middle of the night.

Update: Second fan has poor contacts on the switch, and now randomly turns on / off and speeds up / slows down. Cheap pieces of garbage these fans are!!!
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2013
Great fan for the price! Takes a few D size batteries but all fans would. This one comes with an AC power cord and it has two speeds....one might think ya dont need low speed but ya really do when used inside the tent.
I totally recommend this fan...the batteries lasted two nights on high and low speeds used throughout the night.
Another thought....aim the fan towards your feet when in the tent....feet stink!!
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse