Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beta Love
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 18, 2013
I've loved Ra Ra Riot since the first time I heard Too Too Too Fast off The Rhumb Line and The Orchard was one of my fave albums of 2010 so I was extremely excited about getting a new album in 2013. Unfortunately this time around they took a more dance-y, electronic vibe with Beta Love and it falls a bit flat. Not sure if this has to do with the departure of their cellist or not but I definitely miss their more autumnal sounding chamber pop style. When I Dream, That Much, and I Shut Off are the songs closest to their old sound off Beta Love. It's not a bad album, but it's just not great like the first two LPs.

On a more positive note, I saw them play the El Rey a week ago here in LA and they were still one of the best sounding live bands out there (have seen them 3 times now) so even if you don't love this record, don't let it stop you from seeing them live. And they do have a cellist for their live show so they still nail the older material. Also, all the songs off Beta Love sounded significantly better live which was a pleasant surprise.
on January 22, 2013
The one thing that is unmistakable about ra ra riot is that high voice of Wes Miles. I had a hunch this album would go in a more electronic direction after seeing their moog session [...] beta love is catchy and happy. Nice work ra ra.
on January 26, 2013
They still have a lot of string parts like in their previous albums, but their sound is much different now. Kind of poppy, but still indie. The vocals remind me a little bit more of the falsetto vocals from Passion Pit. Overall I think this is just a wonderful album. It pairs great with The Temper Trap, by The Temper Trap, at least in my opinion. Some of the song arrangement isn't the best, I think they shouldn't have placed That Much right after When I Dream of You. My favorite songs are Angel Please, Dance With Me, Beta Love, and When I Dream of You. But the entire album is gold. It's only thirty minutes long though... so they were really aiming for quality over quantity on this one.

Still, you should buy it if you loved their earlier, or if you just want a really awesome album to listen to.
on March 2, 2013
I was first introduced to this group when they performed a hit from their last album on the Late Show with David Letterman. I was totally hooked. I really like what they have done with this album. I love every song. It has a dub step feel with classic rock...a little old mixed with the new! Get this album...you know u want to! ;)
on May 27, 2013
Based on how much I enjoy their previous album, I had to have this one. Beta Love is up tempo fun, with only "BINARY MIND" not as pleasing as the rest. The fun only lasts a half hour, and no that's not enough.
on May 23, 2013
I bought this after listening to some of their songs from other albums, but really only like a couple of songs from this album...guess it is just a style issue. Songs were very repetitive and techno, and didn't have as much vocals as I expected. Anyway, just not my style.
on April 1, 2013
Beta Love proved to be a very satisfying album considering I bought it off of knowing only one song. It's upbeat melodies and driving beats have earned itself a role as my pump-up music for working out or even just work.
on April 4, 2013
For those that have not heard a song from this album, beware! It is a totally different sounding Ra Ra Riot. It is electronica and not ska-ish as before. For me it is just OK, and not GREAT as the last two albums. I am not a big fan of electronica, so even 3 stars is being too generous. Hope they go back to the previous sound.
on February 26, 2013
This isn't bad at all. I really would have rated it 3 1/2 stars. Overall, they are a good band. The music is energetic, but for me, just a little too "poppy" sounding. I got it through a promo purchase and felt it was worth a go.
on February 4, 2013
I felt that this album was very good for taking a new direction and changing things up. What I think Ra Ra Riot loses in this album is the musical and lyrical content we are use to as listeners. The album is overall very catchy and listenable with a sound that isn't heard very often. We need to consider that bands sometimes have an album in there catalog that more fun and experimental. My only complaint is that I'm going to have to wait a couple more years for the next album, which I feel will be more focused since they will be use to there new lineup as a band and its musical direction.