Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Style Name: Portrait Cutting Mat|Change

on October 15, 2013
I have a Silhouette SD, and was glad to find out that this mat still works perfectly even though it is for the newer version...the silhouette portrait. Works great!
on May 15, 2015
This mat is a different material than Silhouette mats used to be made from, and the adhesive has changed. It's now tackier, but so sticky that it permanently adheres to the paper being cut, sometimes detaching from the mat itself. See photos - a comparison of one of my old mats with this one, a shot of the detached adhesive, and an example of paper residue that couldn't be removed after cutting.

I'm back to using my old, worn, barely tacky mats. :(
review image review image review image
on December 23, 2013
I don't think it's just for light hold, either. Sometimes and little bit of masking tape makes all the difference.
This will be my new mat of choice in the future. I do mainly card making and vinyl/blackboards. Love it!!
on January 22, 2016
This seems to work well, however, when you first begin using it the paper sticks so well that it rips the paper. Also, it doesn't take much use before it seems to lose its stick. You can solve this by washing it with warm soapy water.
on July 9, 2015
I miss the old light hold mats :(

I mostly cut fabric pieces, with iron on adhesive attached. It used to cut beautifully with the older style mats, which were more opaque and stickier. These barely hold onto the fabric. I actually have to scotch tape it around the edges, and then because the fabric jumps around the cut is not as clean.

Also, they smell funny. This probably wouldn't bother me if the product was otherwise good. But they smell kind of like brand new bath toys - pvc? - and it seems to linger in the room for a while....

I did email silhouette about these and learned that this redesign is unfortunately a permanent change. Here's what they said:
"The mat in question would represent a product adjustment made to the light-hold mat product. The new style of light-hold mat offers a lighter adhesive level in order to avoid curling fine or delicate paper materials as they are removed from the mat. Though some materials may not stick as well to the mat and come off very easily, please rest assured that the horizontal adhesive level should secure the material in regard to its side-to-side tension in order to ensure proper cutting alignment."

I will continue to use these because I have no other options. The regular hold mats stick too strongly to the paper backed adhesive and take me 20 minutes to get all the paper off. These are just nearly disposable. I can use them like 3 times and then have to get new ones.
on April 23, 2014
This product did exactly what the description indicated it would do. It works perfectly for cutting paper of all types. I've used it with cardstock, construction paper, and patterned "normal" weight paper, and each worked great!
on October 23, 2013
This mat is nice and sticky but after only a week's use I cut right through it leaving a hole. It's a lot thinner and flimsier than the cricut mat so I cut one of my 12x12 mats to use in my Portrait. It works much better except I have to guess a little with the placement of my paper since I had cut my cricut mat and the grids aren't identical. When I print then cut I still use the silhouette mat with the "hole" because I want to make sure I'm lining up my paper perfectly. If the silhouette mat were thicker it'd be perfect.
on April 4, 2016
These are necessary for using with a Cameo or Portrait machine to ensure that the item being cut doesn't shift. The only complaint I have with these is that they start out as being too tacky and ripping paper, particularly where the tracks feed the paper in and out. Some paper can be quite costly, which is why we don't want any shifting in the first place. It can be very frustrating creating an intricately detailed something or other with expensive paper and having it get damaged in the removal - even with a spatula. Other than that it serves its purpose well.
on March 8, 2016
Nothing beats the original Silhouette SD cutting mat. I have tried suggested other mats (CriCut, other brands and Quilting Mats). I have scoured Google trying to find other alternatives and always end up purchasing the original. Nothing beats this original Silhouette SD Mat. I never have to reload in order to have the Silhouette SD read registration. This mat lasts the longest when you use it properly (appropriate cut settings, etc. I am going to stick with this mat instead of trying over and over again, without getting better results.
on October 23, 2014
I love this light hold mat. I had mostly cut vinyl, because whenever I pulled paper, even cardstock, off the standard map, it would curl and rip and just not be right. I have used this light hold mat for about 20 cardstock cuts today, and the paper still holds nicely to the mat, but also removes easily!