Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 28, 2014
AWESOME SET! I put in the dishwasher.... No problem! The red and black is so attractive in my kitchen. If it ever does discolor, I use Bar Keepers Cleanser to shine all my stainless easily. Plu, you can get Bar Keepers on Amazon too. Oh.... AND THEY ARE SUPER SHARP!
on March 24, 2015
it didn't even last two weeks and it already rusted :( waste of money!
review image
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2015
I will be returning these knives. When i originally purchased them, two things sold me. The purple color, and the Ginsu name. Unfortunately, these knives may bear the trademark, but that is where all similarity ends. These knives are made of cheap, Chinese "stainless" steel. They are clearly made in China judging by the shoddy manufacturing, but I doubt seriously that they are even stainless. Just one wash in the dishwasher produced actual rust. I kid you not. I dry all my dishes on a heat setting so that the moisture evaporates cleanly. I also use Finish platinum caps because i dont like spots on my glassware or plates.

The knives are sharp, but i doubt this feature would last very long as the steel is cheap. In addition, the handles are not riveted to the blade. The handle on the large chefs knife, and some of the others actually jiggled right out of the box. As others have mentioned, the block is attractive, but also cheaply made, as the slots for the knives are generic and dont fit a specific blade. the slots for the knives go all the way to the bottom of the block.

In addition, these knives are extremely thin. if you want a good chefs knife, you dont want one that has too much flex, but because these are almost paper thin, the chef's knife cant even cut a straight line on an ONION.... The handles are hollow PLASTIC. Not even wood, so the knife (I really dont think it even qualifies as one but i digress) is way off balance and blade heavy.

I have never been more disappointed in a product as these. Thankfully i have a Prime membership and will be returning these just after this review is completed.
review image review image
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2014
Love it! I've been looking for purple knives for so long. These knives also cut well. The only odd thing is the way the fit into the top slots. The slots aren't cut specifically for a knife. Other than that the set is perfect. It completed my purple kitchen after years of searching.
on April 25, 2014
I was looking for a set of serrated kitchen knives. I wasn't sure this set was what I wanted, but I decided to take a chance.... Great pick.... I am totally satisfied with this product
on October 28, 2014
I bought this knife set after reading through the great reviews stating how sharp and well made they are. My expectations weren't all that high considering the price of this set, but I have to say that after using them for over a month I am pretty disappointed.

The set looks nice on my counter top, but that's about the only good thing I have to say about them. They are very lightweight which makes them feel cheap as soon as you pull the first knife out of the block. They are not sharp at all and it's a chore cutting with them. I've tried them out on a variety of foods. When cutting raw chicken, they don't slice as much as tear through the meat. Tomatoes are seemingly impossible to thinly slice. Dicing sweet potatoes and butternut squash is an awful experience and I end up having to basically saw through them with the serrated edge of the chefs knife. My girlfriend has started to turn to a steak knife we got from the dollar store for all of her slicing and chopping instead of using one of these knives.

Ginsu says they never need sharpening, but I think they need sharpening right out of the box. Unfortunately they are serrated so sharpening isn't nearly as easy as a straight edged knife.

I'm giving them 2 stars rather than one, because you can't expect all that much out of a $40 knife set, but I'm guessing you can find something better than this in the same price range.

EDIT 1/9/15
After about 2 months of occasional use, the handle broke on the scissors. Actually, they didn't just break, the plastic handle completely fell off and they are now unusable. Pretty ridiculous considering I've only used them a handful of times, and never on anything that difficult to cut.

Also, I tried to pull the 7" Santoku knife out of the block the other day and it was completely stuck. (Yes, it was in the correct slot). I finally managed to get it out after holding the block on the ground with my feet and pulling up as hard as I could. Luckily I didn't slice a body part off. The knife wouldn't fit back in any of the slots, so it is now sitting in a random drawer. I'm not sure how it got stuck, because a couple weeks ago it went in and out of the block just fine. Just more evidence of the cheapness of this knife set.

I'm not surprised by any of these things--just thought I should share them for your sake. The knife set is still cheap, still not sharp, and I still can't recommend them. I probably should have given them one star.
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2014
Those of us of a certain age remember the Ginsu knife commercials about a knife that could cut a can, the side of a building, a minotaur, a sherman tank, and still be sharp enough to slice a tomato so thin it could be a supermodel. In the years since then, the Ginsu name has now been stuck on a line of home cutlery.

While I have not yet had the opportunity to take these Ginsu knives to a hefty piece of sheet metal, I can attest to the fact that they work. Like kitchen knives do. Although you're not supposed to, we've washed these in the dishwasher without a problem, just make sure you dry them quickly. The knives look great, as does the black block they come in. The price is right, and they simply work. The only downside is there is nobody saying "but wait, there's more" when you go to buy them.
on November 4, 2013
Very sharp sleek design. Goes perfectly with my kitchen and use knives daily and they are still great. I would highly recommend to anyone.
on April 14, 2014
Very nice looking for the price. I love the black box as that looks better in my kitchen than the normal butcher block. This is a very lightweight set but still gets the job done.
on May 5, 2014
I did not expect well made knife set for under $60 but this set is pretty well
made for general everyday use.

The blades are of sufficient thickness to not bend unless your putting a lot
of pressure on them. If you need knives like that look for something different.

The block looks nice and is not all that large freeing up some space on my counter top.

I hand wash everything so cleaning these was quick as was towel drying them
to prevent spotting.

This set is idea for college students, a gift, or everyday use.