Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Improved Design - Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Viscose Rayon Cover derived from Bamboo - Removable Case - Coop Home Goods - Made in USA -Queen
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 7, 2015
OK, first off, I'm no fanboy, I'm just giving the best opinion I can give and I'll do it in segments here. First off, the shipping, the timely arrival, blah blah blah, who cares, but that is still rated at 5 stars. Arrived and looked as described. I got this in a box, pulled it out, let it breathe, tossed it on the bed and did other stuff and came back to a MAN PILLOW.

I am a side sleeper "mainly". If you are anything like me, I had problems with taking regular pillows and bunching them up, sleeping on them folded in half, flipping them over 100 times a night because I made a bit of a flat spot on one side, etc. You know what I'm saying. So let me explain how this one works and how it's better regardless of what kind of sleeper you are. First off, don't be an idiot, read the instructions on how to create the best feel for you. It takes two seconds. Me personally, I'm a big guy...OK, I'm a fat guy and big. When I lay on my side, I like the pillow to allow my head to rest evenly in line with my back. Now, if you are a bigger person, and you have to place your right/left arm UNDER the pillow to get the lift you NEED from the pillow, you do what I do and wake up with an arm you can't feel. You may also do what I do, which is to roll over using my mass and taking my other arm to pull it back over my body until the tingling allows me to move my fingers again.

This pillow stops that. It has lift, no really, it has LIFT baby. and it's not rock hard lift. The best way to explain it is like an adjustable cloud. It's very nice and soft and conforming, but without your head sinking below sea level to get that feel. Your head stays UP and with the way you can adjust this pillow, you can have basically any height you want.

So, if you are a side sleeper, back sleeper, face sleeper that ends up on your elbows while breaking your back (yes, I've done this too), couch sleeper, lazy boy sleeper, you NEED this pillow. I've tried hundreds and spent literally thousands on pillows, but this is THE ONE.
2020 comments|1,175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 19, 2015
This pillow attempts to combine the support of a memory foam pillow with the softness and malleability of a down pillow. Unfortunately, by trying to be everything to everyone, it falls short. Don't get me wrong, the pillow is clearly well made, and I understand what the manufacturer was trying to accomplish. But as a side sleeper who frequently switches sides throughout the night, I require a memory foam pillow that is firm, supportive and consistent. This pillow simply doesn't fit the bill. First, it is too soft. My head sinks too far down into the pillow, which results in there not being enough space between my head and my shoulder as I sleep on my side. This causes me some mild neck discomfort. Second, the composition of the pillow is somewhat inconsistent. Apparently this is by design. The manufacturer was trying to mimic the feel of down by loading the pillow with shredded chunks of material that can be fluffed to make a more custom fit. Although that might be comfortable for some people, it bothers me -- especially when I switch sides and have to readjust the stuffing of the pillow. I need a pillow that has a relatively uniform composition, and this one does not.

I want to reiterate that this isn't a bad or poor quality pillow; it's just not right for me. Individual preferences for things like pillows and bedding are highly subjective.

I spent some time setting up a demonstration to show everybody what I'm trying to describe. The average human head weighs roughly 10 pounds. So I gathered several books that stacked together weigh 9.7 pounds -- I weighed them on a scale -- and placed them on the pillow in various positions mimicking a sleepy head. Again, some people might look at the pictures and come to the conclusion that it's exactly what they're looking for. Others, however, may come to the opposite conclusion. Either way, I hope that this helps.

If you're willing to bear with me a bit longer, I'd like to share five major things I've learned about buying pillows over the years.

1) you are a side sleeper, then you need a memory foam follow. Forget down or anything else. Only memory foam has the firmness and consistency that a side sleeper requires.

2) Over time memory foam loses density. Period. You can buy yourself some extra time by flipping the pillow every night, but it's only delaying the inevitable. While it's true that some purportedly high quality pillows last longer than cheaper ones, I've found that the differences are marginal. If you rest your head on the same pillow every single night, then you need to replace it about every 16-20 months. Manufacturers will drone on and on about 5-year warranties and how their pillow lasts for years and it's total BS. Nowadays all these pillows are made in China and are super inexpensive, anyway. You can budget for a new $35 pillow every 18 months, believe me. (Please note: I am referring only to memory foam pillows. A high quality down pillow that's well taken care of will last for a long time -- perhaps as long as ten years.)

3) Size and feel are more important than quality and cost. There's no point in spending more than $60 on a memory foam pillow. You can easily find a good pillow in the $30-50 price range. While it's sometimes true that the more expensive ones last a bit longer, it makes much more sense to buy an affordable pillow and simply replace it more frequently. I cannot emphasize this enough: the size, thickness, firmness and feel of the pillow matter WAY more than anything else when it comes to pillows. That being said, I wouldn't purchase anything too far below $30.

4) Don't wash it. If you're getting a memory foam pillow shipped, then it'll emit a kind of chemical smell after you remove it from the box. Just let it air out for 48 hours and it'll go away. Afterwards, encase the pillow in two layers. The first layer should be one of those close-fitting pillow protectors that protect against allergens and hair and body oils. (It'll also shield you from any irritants residing in the pillow.) The second layer will be your regular pillow cover. Do that and you're good to go. Don't listen to the manufacturers about washing the pillow. It's a huge hassle and a massive waste of time and energy. Remember, these things are basically disposable. They're not like a down pillow that you're going to have for years and years.

5) There's no such thing as a perfect pillow. Everyone's needs are different, and yet there are no "bespoke" or tailored pillows customized for an individual. So even though I often find pillows that I like, I've yet to find a perfect one for me. And that stands to reason because no one's ever tried to design and manufacture a pillow tailored to my specific needs. I am a side sleeper, and the following advice is intended solely for side sleepers. Over the years, I've found that a side sleeper needs a medium-firm to firm pillow that is also thick enough to maintain a 90 degree angle where the head meets the shoulders. That's the same angle that naturally occurs while you're awake and going about your business throughout the day. If the head sinks too low when you sleep, then it puts strain and pressure on your neck. Someone with wide shoulders will need a thicker pillow -- unless of course they have a proportionally large head and thick neck, in which case the pillow might not need to be any thicker than someone with narrower shoulders. Additionally, one must factor in the firmness of their mattress. If your mattress is on the soft side, then a side sleeper's shoulders will sink farther into the mattress, leaving less space between the shoulder and head and thus requiring less thickness in the pillow. Conversely, a firmer mattress necessitates a thicker pillow in order to compensate for the increase in space between the shoulders and head.
2929 comments|963 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2015
These pillows are clearly wonderful and I was very impressed when I gave them time to fluff up. I've never owned pillows like these and can plainly see they're of excellent quality.

However, a slight bit of confusion did arise. I ordered two pillows and they came packaged quite differently. One was rolled up very tightly and packaged in a sleeve, which I thought was very nice and I'd also read the pillows come rolled like this, so all was well. However, the 2nd pillow was simply folded in half, not rolled up and it came with no sleeve. I also immediately noticed the folded pillow seemed oddly lighter and not nearly as full as the rolled up pillow, but as both pillows hadn't had time yet to expand, I gave them about 6 hours.

After 6 hours, it was clear the folded pillow truly was lacking the density and volume of the rolled up one. I wrote to the seller who kindly informed me that the company was in the process of switching over to new packaging (now folding the pillows instead of rolling them up and putting them in a sleeve) and that Amazon had likely grabbed one of each to send me. I was satisfied with this answer and decided to use the pillows. Unfortunately, while I am totally fine with the company changing packaging, I am still a little bothered by the lack of consistency in pillow volume. The folded pillow had still only risen to about 75% of what the rolled up pillow has.

It's possible that in addition to new packaging, they also slightly reduced the volume they are putting into each pillow? Who knows. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I did spend about 20 minutes in bed last night switching between the two pillows and the difference between how each one feels is rather obvious. I've included an image to show the variance (folded/newer packaged pillow on left, original (rolled up packaged) pillow on right, although you really need to hold each pillow or rest your head on each one to truly notice the disparity.

Again, not the biggest deal in the world and like I said these are obviously wonderful pillows, I just wish the folded pillow had the same poof as the rolled up the pillow. And I also appreciate the seller's quick response to my query regarding the disparity in packaging.
review image
1919 comments|649 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
First of all - sleeping accessories like sheets and pillows are possibly the most subjective items Amazon offers. All one has to do is see how many folks said this pillow is too soft and how many said it's too firm. So, this is entirely my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. First of all - this is definitely unlike any pillow I've ever experienced and I'm still wrestling whether that's a good thing or not. It comes wrapped in a tight roll that expands like an inflating tire when unwrapped, and smells worse. The smell goes away after a few days, but the pillow feels like an incredibly heavy bag of lumpy flour. Yes, the foam filling is malleable and fluffable and does support your head. But you still get the feeling that you're wrestling with a heavy bag of stuff to adjust it. Not the uniform feeling of down or conventional foam, but chunks of stuff. It isn't uncomfortable, and I've been sleeping OK - but for me, this is far from a "firm" pillow. In fact, it's an odd combination of soft AND firm. Sort of like the way the early waterbeds felt. And I eventually got rid of that too. So - there are obviously a lot of folks who like this product - but if you're expecting a traditional pillow - this ain't it.
2323 comments|1,023 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2016
Chunks of The polyurethane foam. This pillow smells so strongly of chemicals. may you will get cancer,

2 king pillows i washed still strong chemical and i opened it. All chunks with glue and trush.
review image review image
22 comments|254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2014
The pillow arrived on time, vacuum sealed in a plastic bag. It's dense. When you open the bag it expands slowly, and fills out. If you've used memory foam before, you know how awesome it is, if not, you're in for a treat. It's very comfortable - you're going to enjoy this pillow. Also, a neat feature is that the thickness of the pillow can be changed by pushing the internal foam pieces around (fold it in half and kind of pound it to the sides for a thinner pillow, grab both ends and bunch it towards the center for thicker, etc).

Okay, there is a bad thing, but it is easily remedied: the smell. When you first open it, it smells horrible. Like a plastics manufacturing factory floor. You will not want to sleep next to that stink, and if you do then there is something seriously wrong with you. The fix? Throw it in the washing machine, with detergent, and then put it in the dryer (it will take a couple days for the foam to settle down to its previous density, but it will). Just like you would with clothes. When your clothes smell bad, what do you do? Complain about it on amazon and freak out? No. You wash them. Do the same thing with this pillow and all will be well.
44 comments|409 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2016
This has the potential of being a very comfortable pillow. However, I paid for a king size pillow, but what I got was a king size pillow cover with the filling of a queen sized pillow. This causes the filling to shift way too much at night into the empty part of the pillow cover and doesn't allow the memory foam to conform to your head properly. So unless you like adjusting your pillow all night or enjoy not getting what you paid a lot of money for go ahead and buy the king sized model, but don't say I didn't warn you.

I have attached a pic that attempts to illustrate just how poorly this pillow is filled. There is at least 4 inches of fabric that has nothing in it. The rest of the pillow is also not very thick. I feel slightly ripped off as I figured a pillow that costs as much as this would have better quality.
review image
55 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2016
Ordered one of these pillows in early March and loved it. The shredded memory foam was nice and soft and provided good support on my neck. I was so impressed I decided to order another one recently (3/26) for my girlfriend and it's an entirely different pillow. I was worried I had purchased the wrong one so I looked at my order history and confirmed I did indeed purchase the correct pillow. If you look at the pictures listed on the site you'll even see two versions of the pillow. The old pillow with the bamboo leaves was the one I received on my first purchase and I was very happy with it. I decided to give that pillow to my girlfriend and try out this "newly" designed pillow and it was terrible. I couldn't even fall asleep when laying on it. It no longer has the bamboo design like the original pillow and the shredded memory foam feels like stiff tiny memory foam cubes when laying on it. Feeling confused I decided to goto Coop Home Goods website to look at their catalog only to see the correct pillow that I thought I was getting :(. I am very dissapointed with my second purchase and will not be recommending these to anyone else.
review image review image
on October 23, 2015
As a Doctor of Physical Therapy I would Highly recommend this pillow for back and side sleepers. Not quite sure it would be suitable for stomach sleepers as it is a thicker pillow. The support I get from this pillow is perfect and forms to the shape of my cervical spine yet is very soft and comfortable. I have not woken up with any neck pain or headaches since I've been using this pillow. I hardly ever write feedbacks, but this definitely deserves a health professionals opinion. I will be recommending this pillow to my patients that I believe will benefit from it.
22 comments|157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2015
I have been a tempurpedic fan for 9 years and have a contour pillow that desperately needed to be retired. I thought I loved a pillow I saw in Brookstone...memory foam with down alternative on the outside. An aching neck after one night, that thing was returned. I've had my down pillow for 22 years I just can't part with it, and also 4 king size tempurpedic pillows I never broke in that are just bed occupants! I got one broken in using it as a knee pillow but still wanted something "more". I don't know how I stumbled upon the shredded memory foam pillow thing, but stumbled from there to here and THREE pillows later from Coop Home Goods and Marlow's Mercantile.....I'm a happy girl! I bought 2 king size for my tempurpedic bed I've had for almost 2 years and replacing 2 of the tempurpedic pillows (the other 2 can remain in the shams for deco). I bought a queen pillow for travel and overnight because I just don't want to be without these! It can be squished and squeezed down to fit in my travel bag so I'm never without it. I brought it to work and had a client rest against it and she ended up buying 2 king pillows herself! Compared to others, the price is on point.....not too pricey yet well worth the price. As for the smell....perhaps it's case by case but I'm BEYOND sensitive to smells and the FAINT smell that should be EXPECTED by any foam product that is brand new out of manufacturing and responsibly packaged in plastic to reduce packaging cost and waste....I let mine air out and expand for about 3 hours, scrunched and kneaded it, popped it in the dryer for about 20 minutes and threw my pillowcase on it. WASH IT if the smell is too much for you. It's the amazing thing about these is they're WASHABLE!!!! Made in the US and the sellers contact you personally for tips and feedback and support. There's a reason their ratings are so high! Customer service at its best and a hands down AWESOME pillow. The first night took a little getting adjusted to but every night since for the last 3-4 weeks has been amazing restful sleep. I'm definitely a fan.....3 pillows in now!
11 comment|216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse