Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on October 1, 2013
We've been having a concern over our basement laundry area being some what poorly ventilated. There was no way to install any type of ventilation fan without lots of duct work. We did some research and realized that a dehumidifier was a real easy solution to moisture concerns in the basement. We borrowed my brother's old Frigidaire unit to test it out and it worked fine, it was just too noisy for an enclosed basement. It's a small space so we did not to pay extra for unnecessary output. Put it to work immediately and over a weekend it filled up about 3/4 of the bucket. It works well and much more quietly than expected. I almost thought it was not running when on low fan speed.

The "damp" feel is mostly gone from the basement. I noticed a drain port on the back of the unit and read the user guide more closely you can almost make the unit operate like a higher capacity dehumidifier by attaching a the drain hose (included) to the back of it and running that to a floor drain. I tried it out and within hours there was a nice trickle going. If you need more distance, I believe any standard garden hose will fit the port as well. This definitely has the output to tackle larger spaces if needed, it's mostly just constrained by the bucket size if at all. It's small enough that I now have it tucked away under the laundry basin. Only annoyance is that the finger holds are shallow and don't give you a good grip, but it does come with casters so lifting isn't really necessary. It's light and small and is easily moved or lifted. It's been real good so far and I will try to update once rainy season gets underway.
on October 22, 2014
I live in Portland and my cat and I both have mildew-induced asthma attacks, so come the rainy season, we really need a dehumidifier. I bought this one after having a horrible experience with a Frigidaire lemon last year - turns out their first-year warranty is only good for replacing a unit when they feel like getting around to it ("in a few months"). But enough about how much Frigidaire sucks.

This unit isn't exactly quiet, no, but it's not screamingly loud and it's not cycling on and off, so it's just a steady background noise. Kind of soothing, really. Given that it's running constantly, I'm glad it's Energy-Star rated. It will be interesting to see what it does to my utility bills, but the mild excess heat it kicks off is actually pretty welcome (see: Portland rainy season.) It's certainly pulling a massive amount of water out of the air as it runs! The first day that I turned it on, the basin filled up overnight as it pulled the humidity down from over 70 to about 50 percent. Right now it's raining steadily outside and my cat and I are both breathing easily. Worth it, steady hum and all.

Update: Still working great after a year of continuous use.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A dehumidifier is perfect for this time of year, especially when the humidity is edging up there. Yesterday it was 100% and today it's 79%, something that makes it very stifling and uncomfortable. This 30 pint Whynter was put through its paces yesterday and is still working very hard today.

Set up was quite quick and easy and fortunately the unit was well-packed. Strategic areas were securely taped and the casters were tucked away inside the drain bucket for safekeeping. One can opt to not put on the casters, but because I want to move this Whynter around, I installed them. It looks as if they are supposed to be screwed on because there are holes in the plates, but they slide easily into place.

As the Whynter worked throughout the day, the temperature in the room rose a bit. I did expect that, but the humidity went down quite noticeably. It's much more comfortable when the air isn't heavily laden with so much moisture. Because I'm operating it in an open space (the layout of the bottom floor is very open), it worked quite hard.

It's really pulling moisture from the air and I've emptied it twice. There's the option to drain in the back, but if you need that, I'd suggest heading for the 70-pint Whynter dehumidifier instead. The unit is small and you'd have to use the hose to empty into a large pan rather than a bucket to get a fast flow. When I do empty the drain bucket, I'm keeping a small towel on hand because some water does hit the floor.

All of the controls are on the top of the Whynter. The layout is easy to read and there is a complete visual and written layout in the instruction booklet. However, before even turning on the dehumidifier, I'd recommend studying the instructions to prevent things such as continuous operation if you don't want it.

I'm much more comfortable and can breathe easier, even with this smaller capacity Whynter. I'll be shifting this unit to our camp, a much more appropriate home for it and will eventually be using the 70-pint capacity Whynter. The sound is somewhat of a continuous him like a fridge only louder (48.4 dBA). It varies depending on which fan setting I have on.

I actually love this little unit and find that it's very efficient and worked rapidly to bring down the ultra-high humidity level in the house. Right now I'm liking the fact that it's brought the humidity level down to a very acceptable 48%. It will keep those "allergy-inducing dust mites and mold from thriving" as the booklet points out, something I really need.

FEATURES:

► As an Energy Star-Rated dehumidifier it provides cost-effective and energy-efficient operation, without sacrificing design and performance.

► Ideal for the basement, attic or other unusual environment usage

► Comes standard with an auto-restart and auto-shutoff options so that the compressor activates based on your selected humidity level

► Designed for residential usage, this unit is suited for tight spaces and enclosed areas as large as 2000 sq. ft.

► Additional features include electronic controls with humidity sensor settings, a direct drain option for continuous operation, dual fan speeds and 24 timer function

SPECS:

~► Current Consumption: 3.3 Amps
~► Refrigerant: R-134a / 7.8 Oz
~► Air flow M³ / H / 110 CFM
~► Fan Speeds: 2 (H & L)
~► Unit Dimensions: 21" (H) x 13.25" (W) x 9.75" (D)
~► Unit Net Weight: 29.5 lbs
~► Unit Gross Weight: 32 lbs
~► Noise Level (dBA): 48.4
on August 27, 2014
This unit is much quieter than the SoleusAir 30 pint model (safety recalled) I replaced. It is a little bit buzzy at first startup, but after it's been running for a bit, especially on the low fan setting, it is impressively unobtrusive. I have to put my ear against the case to hear if the compressor is running. It is also rated to use less power. I assume these advantages are due in part to the fact that it uses lower pressure R134a refrigerant. The constant drain tube works well. As the manual and other reviewers have stated, a small amount of water does end up in the bucket. However, it's been running for days, and the level in the bucket hasn't risen more than perhaps 5% full. I do not anticipate needing to empty it manually. The thermometer display is a nice touch, although it reads a bit high, I assume due to the unit's own heating of the air around it. White reinforced tape is applied in the middle of each case joint. I assume this was added to cut down on vibration, so did not remove it as I did with the blue shipping tape.
on November 15, 2015
I live in the south where the humidity is high. Built a new 26x36 shop out back under the shade trees and noticed I was starting to see some of my tools rusting and getting some mildew in places. Put this guy in, set up the continuous drain, and set the humidity to 45%. No more humidity related problems. Have run it continuously for about 6 months now without issue. Runs smooth and quite and appears quite energy efficient. I haven't been able to see any real difference in my power bill. No negatives for me. Would recommend.
on May 26, 2015
Prior to purchasing this unit, I had bought the Whynter RPD-411WG, which I rated 5 Stars, to be allocated to a specific area in my home. I was so pleased with it's performance, I added this item to supplement the rest of my residence. This unit while smaller and slightly less consuming in wattage and amperage to operate, is not quite as quiet as the RPD-411WG.
This units air flow intake is located in the front making it more capable of being placed out of the way and less in plain sight, while the RPD-411 intake is the back, restricting how close one would want to place it against a wall or other possibly air flow restricting location. Whynter compensated for this by making the 411WG more aesthetically appealing to the eye and surrounding decor.
I miss the the condensate tank little red float ball which is on the 411WG's tank and makes it easy to tell where the water level is. For some reason this unit does not have one, just a similar sight window but, without the ball so you can't really tell how full the tank is.
With the exception of the decibel noise level and exclusion of the tanks level sight ball, the unit performs very well.
Hindsight being 20/20, I would opt for the 411WG despite it slightly higher; price tag, energy consumption and less versatility of room placement, however both units extract moisture from their environment extreamly well.
on June 6, 2014
Time will tell. Just got this unit in. This unit replaced a Frigidaire 70 pint unit I sent back due to the horribly loud noise. This one is much quieter--sort of like a medium size fan on high. Seems to be able to judge humidity levels better than the Frigidaire too. I wished it had a floating ball in the water tank so I could see the level right away. Fixed that by cutting a small piece of styrofoam and placed it in the center where the view line is. Now I don't have to grab a flashlight each time. Also, the fan does stay on with this unit...but I noticed the compressor cuts off when it reaches the desired level. The Frigidaire hardly ever cut off. Doesn't seem to pull as much moisture as fast as the Frigidaire did, but maybe that's because of the size (it's a 30 pint). The way it was shipped was atrocious, and only time will tell if any damage was done.
on July 5, 2015
Does a great job, the only drawback is it is not as quiet as I expected, and there seems to be a vibration noise that will stop if you move the unit a bit but returns shortly. The drain hose is not real long and does not fit into a standard hose, therefore you need to buy additional tubong to extend the drain. But is does a great job an removing the moisture.
on September 12, 2014
Very quiet and far better built than the two that preceded it in our house. One caveat is hose operation requires it to be perfectly level or leaning slightly toward the hose outlet side otherwise water sneaks out of the unit.
on March 19, 2015
I bought this repackaged and saved about $40.00.
Only been running straight for a few days now, and reasonably quiet. I used the drain hose with it. A plus.
I have about a 2200 sq. ft. house. Newer, and well insulated.
Brings it from about 70 down to about 50% humidity., with the house A/C set ( and also the fan running continuously).
This should give you an idea as to whether you need a bigger unit.or not.

The quality seems good, although for only 20 bucks, I took out the square trade 3 year ext. warranty (which is also a good deal).
..................................................................................................................................
As a follow up to this review.....I ended up returning this unit for a larger one. Although I believe it is a decent machine, it seemed to "labor" (the compressor) when running continuously.If this unit rates close to your square footage, then I would jump ut to the next size. Only problem doing this is your looking a maybe a 20% or more electrical usage.