Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

EDV-4000
Price:$249.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 9, 2014
This dehumidifier is wonderful. It's relatively quiet (much quieter than a/c compressor type systems, and lighter) and seems to do a very good job at removing moisture from the air. I like the "dryer" function that it has as well to help dry your laundry indoors when it's raining outside (seems to be a lot more economical than running my electric dryer). Apparently, this rotary dessicant system does work. The only advantage of the a/c compressor style dehumidifiers is that they cool the room, whereas this one warms it a little on low and more noticeably on high (which might be a good thing on colder winter days).
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2014
We have been running this for a few months and it works just as advertised. It is an expensive but very quiet dehumidifier. If you are looking for a dehumidifier and do not care about noise then buy a typical compressor-based dehumidifier. A 30-pint dehumidifier is less expensive than this unit and has about double the capacity (this one is rated at 7 liters per day, which is about 15 pints). We don't like noise though, and the compressor makes a mechanical rattling noise similar to a small refrigerator. We have one in our basement but use the EDV-4000 for the bedroom. The fan itself makes a noise, but in the low setting this is hardly noticeable. It also makes a water trickling noise every minute or so, which sounds sort of like sqeezing out a small sponge over water.

A negative is that there is no adjustible humidistat like most dehumidifiers. My 30-pint dehumidifier is adjustible so that I can set it to go on at 50%RH, 60%RH, etc. This one is not adjustible; it is always on. The manual states that it targets 55-60%RH in auto mode, but in my experience its more like 50% and I wish I could adjust it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2014
I sent back a $79 dehumidifier and got this one. The first one had an AC/DC transformer brick that got extremely hot when on: I was scared to leave it unattended. The reviews for this one were good, so I tried it. It's more expensive but I think it's worth it. Quiet enough for a bedroom and removes an amazing amount of water overnight. I use it in conjunction with an air conditioner in a sealed 10 x 11 x 8 ft. bedroom. The a/c alone only takes it down to 65% humidity, which is a damp cold that goes to your bones. This dehumidifer takes it down to 50% humidity which makes the bedroom feel just right. Granted one machine is working against the other since the dehumidifier puts out slightly warm air, BUT IT WORKS! In 8 hours, it takes out 2 cups of water and brings the humidity down to 50% from 65% in our tiny bedroom.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I’ve waited to write this review until I had some time and experience operating this dehumidifier.

We’ve had the Eva-Dry EDV-4000 for about four months now and have it plugged into a Dayton 1UHG2 dehumidifier controller (sold here on Amazon). I *highly* recommend you purchase this controller with this unit. It has a more sensitive built-in hygrometer, and it can measure the ambient room humidity from a location separate from your dehumidifier. Even if you purchase a different dehumidifier than the Eva-Dry, I suggest you purchase this controller. We have ours connected to a utility-room plug located about four feet off the concrete floor, so it’s measuring the humidity in a more central location, rather than close to the floor. The Dayton controller also keeps your dehumidifier from cycling on and off. The Eva-Dry will do this to “sniff” the air and determine whether it needs to dehumidify. I would expect that this reduction in operating time will extend the life of the unit, since it’s not cycling on as often.

The Eva-Dry saves its settings when powered down, so it operates well with the Dayton controller. If you purchase a different dehumidifier than the Eva-Dry and plan to use the Dayton controller, be sure to purchase a dehumidifier that saves its settings when powered down.

So far, we’re very pleased with the Eva-Dry dehumidifier. It’s much smaller and lighter than we expected, which is a good thing. It’s very attractive and appears to be of excellent quality. The control panel is flat with detent push buttons that control the various features. LEDs display settings, and an autorotating baffle can be used to direct the flow of air up and down. It can also be placed in a stationary setting, if you need airflow focused in a specific direction.

We installed it next to our sump pump, so I needed to install a drain hose in the back of the unit. This hose it not included with the dehumidifier. I found this part of the installation to be a real pain! Another review here stated that they called Eva-Dry and Eva-Dry stated to use a specific size I won’t repeat here because it doesn’t work. I purchased that size and the hose simply doesn’t fit. I returned it and then went to two different big-box stores and brought the dehumidifier with me, trying to match a hose. Neither store had a hose that fit. I asked for help, and the person was unable to find anything in the massive store that would work. As I was about to leave, he came running up. "Wait! Wait!"

What he found was right next to the store’s dehumidifier section. Clipped to the edge of the shelving, right next to where the dehumidifiers were located, were bags labeled, “Dehumidifier Hose”. These fit perfectly! I was soooooo happy to locate this! I can only think that the hose is a standard size for dehumidifier drains? I don’t know… All I know is it works.

The message here is, if you buy this unit, go to your local big-box store (I went to the one that starts with an L) and look for dehumidifier hoses next to the dehumidifier section. Assuming they have similar stock located in the same area, you should be good to go!

Once the hose was installed, I plugged the unit into the Dayton controller, set the humidity level, and waited. Eventually, the EDV-4000 kicked into action.

The first thing I noticed was the strange smell others reported here. It’s a chemical smell, presumably from the desiccant used during the dehumidification process. It’s a little off-putting, but I didn’t have a major problem with it. Being in the lower level of our home, I was able to ignore it. If you’ll be placing the unit in a bedroom or a common living location, you should consider how you’re going to deal with this smell once you receive the unit. I found the smell went away after a few days. It could take upwards of a week, depending how often your dehumidifier cycles on when you first get it. We only noticed the smell when the dehumidifier was actually operating. When it’s off, there’s no smell.

We find the sound level to be very acceptable. I’ve been around dehumidifiers in the past that have a different quality of sound when the unit cycles on. These units have a combination of sounds. The fan and compressor each combine to form two layers of sounds that mesh together into one overall noise. This isn’t the case with the Eva-Dry. The Eva-Dry has only one white-noise hush that may be about the same decibel level as some compressor-type dehumidifiers, but I find the Eva-Dry to be much more tolerant simply because of the quality of the sound.

As an example, our Eva-Dry is in the lower level of our home. We have a futon bed down there, which I used recently when we had guests at the house. Sleeping down there, the Eva-Dry was probably twenty of so feet from where I was sleeping. The unit cycled on and off periodically through the night, but I slept right through it quite comfortably. The reason is it has a white-noise hush. I sleep well with this quality of sound. A regular dehumidifier has a white-noise sound from its fan, but it also has a rattling sound from the compressor. It’s a different quality of sound that would probably wake me up if I were trying to sleep around it.

As for dehumidification, I can only base this on the digital display on the Dayton controller. The Dayton not only reports a drop in humidification levels, but it also gives evidence of this by cycling off the dehumidifier at periodic intervals. Our lower level is only about 500 square feet. The Eva-Dry dehumidifier does a fine job keeping things dry down there.

We’re very happy with the EDV-4000. I’m very pleased that I learned about a desiccant dehumidifier. I’m very dubious over the quality of standard dehumidifiers these days. They seem built to fail in two to five years. This didn’t seem to be true when I was younger in the 1970s. We had a dehumidifier that operated fine for close to twenty years. I’ve had a number of friends who seem to go through them in only a few years. I don’t want to have that experience. I’ve rolled the dice and am taking a gamble with the Eva-Dry in the hopes that it is more reliable and lasts for many years to come.

I promise I will update this review and report ANY issues I have with the Eva-Dry EDV-4000. I’m very active on Amazon and pay close attention to the reviews I write. I’ve been writing them since 1997. If you don’t see any additional comments in this review, that means our dehumidifier is doing well and running fine.
on April 2, 2015
I love my EDV 4000 by Eva dry. I'm using it in my office/music studio, and after using a disastrous frigidaire FAD 70 pint dehumidifier, I couldn't be happier. My frigidaire was noisy, rattled, and guess what! It had an automatic shut-off when the bucket got full. Automatic shut-off? Hell! it shut off alright, went to work one morning and when I came back home my studio with my piano and $30000.00 church organ was completely flooded, and the damn thing was still running. I've had several different dehumidifiers over the years and that frigidaire was the pits! I have this unit on awall mounted controler, so that I can have more precise control than the controls on the unit, I like my humidity especially in my studio at 42 to no more than 45%, and my EDV4000 does this superbly.It does have a small water bucket, but mine is emptying into a condensate pump which takes it outside of the room. The fan isn't that loud really, and in all honesty, it's the compressors that make the shakes rattles, and junky sounds that you get from some dehumidifiers, especially those Wretched frigidaires! Good God! I truthfully think you will be quite happy with this machine, especially if used in a bedroom, office, or even your living room. As a piano technician, I _know what humidity can do especially in pianos, and that's why i'm really picky about a dehumidifier. I hope this has helped you, and one last thing, if you do buy this unit, invest in some kine of drain hose, you can get one for this machine for about $7.00and with such a small tank, about 2 leaders, believe me! it's worth the investment.
Thanks for reading, take care of yourself, and have an awesome spring and summer.
See ya next time with another review.
on July 12, 2014
Works even better than I had hoped. With the energy cost of running a 40 watt bulb, it pulls the humidity down of my 8x5 closet from 70% humidity to about 60 in less than an hour. Leave it going two hours and humidity is as 51 percent.

I've also put it in the downstairs bathroom (no window just a in ceiling fan) where there was a musty smell. Within 90 minutes that smell was gone and the humidity was down around 55 percent. I am considering purchasing another unit so I don't have to keep moving this thing around. Maybe I'll look at the smaller sizes.

THE THING that makes this unique is the new technology it uses. No compressor and only the noise of the fan, if you run fan on lowest speed it's barely noticable. Best purchase I've made in a while. Somewhat expensive but WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!
on June 14, 2014
I recently purchased this dehumidifier to use in our 27' travel trailer. We spent 6 days camping in a campground near Grants Pass, Oregon. I ran the unit several hours each night and collected over 4 quarts of water during our time there. The EDV-4000 is very nice looking, doesn't have a large footprint, and is quiet. The unit is solidly made and it is easy to dump the accumulated water. I would definitely recommend this unit for use in an RV.

The compressorless dehumidifier uses desiccant rotor technology to remove moisture from the air.
on July 15, 2014
I was looking for something quiet, as we run the dehumidifier in living space. I've seen "the quietest" sell for quite a bit of money so searched around a bit for another. There was little information about the EDV-4000 but from specs I felt comfortable in purchasing it. When it arrived I was a little concerned about it's size, it is small compared to many dehumidifiers I have had in the past. I have used it several weeks now and am very happy with it. I wouldn't call it whisper quiet but it is quiet. Sounds like a fan running. It's not annoying nor is it a harsh sound. The area feels comfortable and the unit removes a good amount of water. I would recommend this to homeowners. I would suspect it may not be sufficient for very large areas, but two may do the job.
on June 17, 2014
Never mind trying to find 12 mm ID hose. Silicone hose with a 7/16 ID works perfectly and you're going to need it. This thing takes at least a few liters of water a day. It dries my 2000 square foot walk out and improves the air quality. Excellent no complaints.
on June 7, 2014
Very quiet compared to our compressor model. We keep ours in the bedroom and turn it of at bedtime. We empty the reservoir every 3-4 days.