Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on June 18, 2014
I bought the 64GB version on June 5th so I can't give a review about longevity but for the most part, this little guy has not let me down. I have used this usb drive on my PS3 to watch movies, move large files to and from multiple computers, have some documents that I regularly have to update on the drive at all times, and am now using this as a media server cloud drive with my ASUS RT-N66W router. It has worked very well so far.

One thing to note before I continue is that you will only see a 57.3GB drive show up on your computer even though you bought a 64GB drive. Don't be alarmed!!! This is because of storage manufacturers and computers not having the same definition for what constitutes as a gigabyte. Storage manufacturers 1000mb = 1gb v.s. computers 1024mb = 1gb.

After extensive testing, from files ranging from MP3's, MP4's, JPEGS, Rar archives, avi, and a full on Unity project, ranging in size from 3MB to 16GB; writing TO the USB drive from a computer would usually be a low 40 - 50MB/s but writing FROM the USB drive to the computer the write speed would be anywhere from 82 - 150MB/s. All of this testing was from a couple of USB 3.0 ports, 2 from a laptop, 2 from a desktop. I didn't test USB 2.0 as that would definitely be slower and I wasn't planning on using this on a 2.0 port.

The read and write speeds actually vary somewhat which was perplexing when moving files. For whatever reason, I would have different read and write speeds with the same file on the same computer every time. For example, if I move a 700MB movie .avi file to and fro, i would get speeds ranging from 30MB/s - 90MB/s whereas my Corsair Flash Survivor would always be consistent at ~85MB/s. It's not that big a deal because the USB drive would get faster overtime so if it takes one minute at 30MB/s, your file would transfer at 30 seconds at something like 76MB/s. It's just a weird situation I guess.

The only issue I have had with this is that the USB drive can become very, very hot. I don't know what is the normal operating temperature for this drive but after only 3 minutes, the drive gets very hot when left in a usb port. The metal cover gets especially hot. This does give me a worry about long term usage so I will continue testing it as a cloud drive and see if there is any issues that come up.

Finally, my verdict is as follows:

The good: reasonable price, USB 3.0, good design (in my opinion), and large storage capacity.

The bad: Fluctuating read and write speeds

The ugly: High temperature gives worry for long-term usage

For these reasons, I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars as all in all, a very good bang for the buck. Now that this little baby is nestled in my router, I think I have found it a good home.

EDIT: As of this edit, I left the drive in my router the 99% of the time and I haven't found any data loss or any real discrepancies in transfer speeds. It seems to work well as a media server/ cloud storage. Again, the only thing I worry about is the longevity of this drive because of the heat that gets produced but so far so good.

UPDATE 2 (November 9, 2014): So the drive is working very well. I'm still using it as a media server/ cloud storage on my ASUS router. The heating has stayed constant throughout the time I've had the flash drive and my worries have subsided over the heating issues since the drive has been working fine so far.
1515 comments|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2014
Wow! Based on all the positive lightning speed reviews on Amazon, I expected a lot better. This 32 GB drive maxes out at 43 MB/s read and 15 MB/s write speed in Windows 7. Not worth its price. I suggest you look elsewhere.

2014-07-03 UPDATE:
I can't explain it, but all of a sudden this drive started reading a lot faster, so I've changed my review from 1 star to 4 stars. I have reformatted the drive, including to linux/ext4 file format, then back to NTFS. I think out of the box it was formatted as FAT32. Anyway, now under NTFS, CrystalDiskMark is reporting sequential read speed of 221 MB/s which is indeed impressive. Write speed is still somewhat lacking at around 37 MB/s, but not terrible. If by some fluke it starts writing even faster tomorrow, I'll be sure to revise this review once again and I'll give it 5 stars. :)
review image
1111 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2014
After registering products, you are encouraged to enter to win an IPad by logging in to Facebook, leaving a review on Amazon and posting the link to your review.

I believe this makes the reviews unreliable now for 2 reasons.
Forcing reviews, and making you place the link to enter a contest, may push people to post artificially positive reviews,
and asking people to leave reviews immediately after registering is asking you to leave a review before item has been tested in many cases.
I have no opinion on the product yet, will leave update after some time of use. But the rating remains for unethical rating practice.

10/20/2015 update: Drive has been working perfectly fine. Transfer speeds in Windows 10 moving from solid state hybrid drive to this flash drive have been roughly 21.5MB/sec. Build is nice, no issues, seems consistent. My rating will have to stay for the reasons above.
review image
22 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is one speedy USB 3.0 drive. I plugged it on my Windows PC and Macbook Air transferring and copying files. On my Mac Air it took only 12.1 seconds to copy a 1.43 Gigs movie file. Copying back from the USB drive to the laptop is even faster at it clocked at 7.31 seconds.

I did a quick 500MB Crystal Disk Mark test and it shows read at 218 MB/s and write at 88.81 MB/s.

The USB dongle is shiny black with diamond pattern. It can easily be hanged on your keychain. The swivel metal cover is an easy way protect the contacts without having to worry of losing any cap.

I was shopping for a similar 32G USB drive a year ago. I couldn't find anything for under 30$ even for a USB 2.0. Amazing how the price for this goes for under twenty at the time of this review.

A sample of this product was sent to me for review purposes.
1010 comments|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2014
This usb drive started out working great, the write and read speeds were awesome, this was my first 3.0 drive, and I was happy to see transfer speeds of 30-40 mb/s. I use this drive for my work, where I take a few dozen photos, then transfer them to this drive to transfer to another computer. This happens about once a week, so not a huge amount of use.

After a couple months, the drive started getting slower a couple of times, then at 4 months, it slowed to a crawl, transferring at 10-15 kb/s. You read that right Kilobytes per second.

I contacted Silicon Power to let them know what was going on, and they had me run crystaldiskmark to see the read/write status. Sent them back the dismal results, and they got back to me saying they'll replace the product, but I would have to ship it to their office in Taiwan. They did say to check with original purchase store to see if they could do anything. For fun, I checked with USPS to ask how much, and it will cost me almost $30 to ship it back there.

So I contacted Amazon, and they sent me a label to return it right away, and refunded me immediately. I love Amazon!
This was about 5 months after purchase, so I cannot stress how awesome Amazon is.

I learned my lesson, on this, and got a name brand this time. This Sony 32gb 3.0 is more money, but it has been solid and I would recommend it!

I was lucky I didn't have any irreplaceable files on the Silicon Power drive, or I would have been pissed! I now know the value of buying good quality for usb drives and any kind of flash memory. Imagine losing priceless family photos and videos due to trying to save a buck on a memory card! Never again! And buy from Amazon!
1313 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2014
I bought it end of May, 2014. It was working great and copying files faster than I expected. However, after only copying and reading files a few times, the speed of the drive started to drop. I first realized when I tried to copy a 2 GB file from my Vista machine yesterday. Eventually, the USB 3.0 port of my Windows 7 and 8.1 machines all settled at around 170 KB/sec. I downloaded the repair software from Silicon Power site. It failed to work. I contacted their service department and am waiting for their feedback.
Flash drives have been an important media since the creation of expandable storage. People have used these portable devices from storing music to important files and information. Silicon Power has made the Silicon Power 32GB Blaze B30 USB 3.0 Swivel Flash Drive for these uses.

Package Contents:
1x Silicon Power 32GB Blaze B30 USB 3.0 Swivel Flash Drive

Build:
The flash drive is very small and light (2.1 x 0.7 x 0.4 inches; 0.3 ounces). The design of this drive is unique, as it is diamond textured and able to swivel at a 360 degree angle. I really like the concept of this device, as there is no possibility of the drive sticking, like slider designed flash drives, or the need for a cap, which could be lost and allow dust inside. This design has all the positives without any negatives. On the silver swivel is the Silicon Power logo, name, amount of storage and USB 3.0. For users unsure about compatibility, this drive is compatible with USB 2.0/1.1 ports, but won't transfer optiminal read and write speeds that USB 3.0 ports can achieve.

Software and Testing:
The name of the drive that arrived is named "SP UFD U3" that contained 29.4GB of useable storage. Included on the drive is an executable file that will link to Silicon Power's product registration, which is quick and easy. This is probably the easiest method I found for any product registration.

UPDATED BENCHMARK 7/15/2014:
I then ran a benchmark using CrystalDiskMark and found the following results:

Read: 192.5 MB/s
Write: 115.3 MB/s

See product images for proof.

Old Benchmarks:
Read: 82.71 MB/s
Write: 104.7 MB/s

These results are very fast for a USB 3.0, as the few USB 3.0 flash drives I tried testing would only achieve results of 50-60 MB/s. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a cheaper USB flash drive that is fast, and is why I give this product 5 out of 5 stars.

Pros:
+ Price ($20.44) is the perfect price for the benchmarked results.
+ Very fast benchmarked speeds.
+ Unique design allows user to use the flash storage without issues of dust collecting or sliding.
+ Compatible with USB 3.0/2.0/1.1 ports.
+ Product registration is quick and easy.

Cons:
- I have no cons for this device.

I was provided a sample in exchange for a thorough and honest review.
44 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2014
Got the 64gb version. Keep in mind it lists 57.6 GB total but that's normal. Nice drive definitely worth the price with lots of storage. Looks good and appears sturdy with the solid metal rotating cover. Also has an activity light on the end of it. Definitely takes advantage of usb 3.0 speeds. Also judging by reviews it appears to be reliable.

Came formatted to FAT32. If you need to store files bigger than 4 gigabytes you'll need to format it. Unlike some other reviews mentioned I can format to NTFS with no problems. The sequential write speed with ntfs does drops to 50 MB/s(from 70 MB/s) but the overhead barely affects the other speeds. Most users won't really notice it. I formatted it to exFAT and get the fastest speeds and the ability to store large files. Modern Windows and Mac operating systems support exFAT. Also Vista, XP, and Linux being supported with a free update. So unless you have a special need I'd recommend it. Great speeds for the price! Writing lots of small files will slow it down quite a bit but most flash drives are affected by this.

exFAT Speeds using 500mb test file in Crystal Mark (MB/s):
Seq: Read 151.8 - Write 77.86
512k: Read 136.6 - Write 33.69
4k: Read 3.788 - Write 1.045
4k QD32: Read 4.950 - Write 1.525

Judging by the small amount of negative reviews the drive appears to be very reliable. Very few defective drives reported. Helped seal the deal for me being a brand I never heard of.
on September 1, 2014
I bougth this drive from Venezuela, and after much waiting (to arrive to my country)it was finally here. It worked fine and really fast the first two times, then it started to copy data really slow, to the point it became useless. Tried to format it, and even try to use recover tools from manufacturer site, with no results at all. It will be more expensive to return the drive for warranty, so I guess im stuck with it, really bad experience or maybe just bad luck. Anyway I will not buy this brand again and wont recomend
on February 15, 2014
I needed a safe and secure way to store important files. I also needed the speed.
This Silicon Power 64GB USB 3.0 is perfect for all my needs.
If you have to transfer important files, your music files or even your videos this has the space and speed you will be happy with.