Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had 2 Scoobas before this one, starting with the 5900 series, upgrading to the 300 series and now this one. This is a dramatic departure from what I'm used to in some good ways and some bad. I like it-- but with some caveats. I'm also a devoted Roomba user, currently having a 650. I started way back with the Roomba Red that I bought on Amazon way back on Feb 23, 2007. I've been a long term customer of the robot vacuums.

Unpacking the unit, the first thing I noticed was that this design was drastically different than what I've been using for the last several years. It looks like they stopped making a separate body style for the Scoobas, and consolidated on a single design. This one is very much designed just like the Roomba, replacing the dirt bin with the water tank. This also means that cleaning of the Scooba itself is easier, and the brush scrubber area where the scrubbing takes place removes much easier for rinsing than the previous models. This model also has more useful symbol/light feedback on the top of the unit. There is a dedicated info button that can give you current status, as well there is more visual feedback as to the status of the cycle (lights that build until complete) and more feedback in the status color of the battery as it charges.

Charging is fast and easy, filling is easy, and overall maintenance and use seems simpler than the previous models. The quick start guide had only images and it was fantastically well thought out. This model offers a lot more voice prompts to tell you what is going on and if it needs help, what it needs-- dirty water full, can't detect water bin, needs charged, done, etc.

Turning the device on for the first time, it has the option to choose small or large room size. This is also an improvement over previous models. I started the cleaning cycle and ZOOM! This thing races across the floor, easily double the speed of my previous model. As it raced across the floor I was initially concerned that something was wrong. The squeegee is so effective that I thought it wasn't properly putting down the cleaning liquid. A test with my hand confirmed that it was damp, so I know it was cleaning. A couple other things: I don't prefer that this one has no dedicated error voice or code when it's stuck and needs restarted. All past Roombas and Scoobas would give a real tone that you can recognize when it needs assistance. I was finding it silent thinking it must be done, but nothing.

It did a good job cleaning, and I have a challenging floor-- a wood floor so old that the nails that hold it down are square head hand-forged nails. The floor doesn't look uneven, but for a robot it can be a challenge. While many of the challenges it posed to my old Scooba were gone due to new functionality of this model, this model brought me some new challenges.

This unit was a little bit more willing to hop up on my rugs than the previous model. They are very thin rugs. Most of them I take up anyway to clean under, but I have one under an antique coffee table that is oak, heavy, and difficult to move off of the rug. As well, this model is a bit more stubborn at times.

The old model would let me end a cycle if I was satisfied that the floor had been adequately cleaned & dried. This one won't do so (so far as I can tell). I have a tiny bathroom with hard floor that I usually clean second after my main floor. The battery was still good, so I shut it off, emptied dirty water, refilled clean water and moved to the second room. I turn it on, press go.. oops! It wants to do more drying. I turn it off, back on again, oops! It still wants to dry. Ok. I let it finish it's stubborn tirade. I turn it back on when complete to clean this 3'x6' bathroom, and NOPE! It demands to be emptied and charged. Okay. I give up. :) I'll look into whether there is a way to tell it that I want it to move on from its last assignment.

One thing I did notice is that at the end of a cycle this Scooba does a little dance: it kind of reminds me of a dog shaking off water after having a bath, or kicking the back legs and scratching the ground. It does this, pauses, does it again and is done. I assume this has something to do with forcing any lodged water off or drying out some spot inside. At first I thought there was a problem, but in the end it's a bit funny and entertaining. :)

To be honest, I went through a lot of batteries in my previous Scooba. I didn't use it daily or even weekly, and I know it is good to keep charging and using batteries. Maybe this unit is keeping me from ruining the battery, but the inflexibility combined with the rug hopping caused me to ding it a star.

There are two things that I like a lot about this new model-- first being that the entire mechanisms where water flows are removable and rinseable. The old model had some water channels and vacuum channels made through the unit which could build up with floor mud and lint and would need removed and cleaned. This model has a smarter design that simplifies and makes parts that could clog removable. Bravo on that design improvement. The second part that I really like is the improvements in navigation-- this unit is far smarter and even has some reverse intelligence to work its way back from things it is trying to clean around, navigate around, etc. It is far more deft on its feet, or wheels as it happens to be.

I also get the perception that this unit uses a lot less water than the previous unit, while doing the same quality job of cleaning, and with a far higher speed RPM brush. The water bin seems to hold a lot less water, but doesn't seem to run out before the cleaning job is done. In the end I'd say this is good. The old model could really slop a lot of water on the floor, and for those of us that have a traditional wood floor, it would absorb a lot of that water and change the way the floor looked. I experienced much last of this issue with this model.

This model is a definite move forward from my previous model, and faced with the choice I would certainly choose this one. While it moved forward dramatically in many ways, it moved back in a couple, at least in the ways that I use the unit.

As I use it more I will update the review if my experience or conclusions change. If you have any particular questions please feel free to ask them in the comments. I will do my best to respond to you ASAP, even if I don't have the answer right away.
2828 comments|437 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So I've had a Mint floor cleaning robot for a long time, which is essentially a very smart Swiffer. I'd been wanting to try one of the newer Roomba style robots and was thrilled to get the opportunity to review this new Scooba 450. I'll go through some things you should consider when buying a floor cleaning robot, and how the Scooba stacks up.

1) Is it loud?
Yes it is. I mean, not rock concert loud, not even vacuum cleaner loud, but it makes a bit of a ruckus.

2) What types of floors does it clean?
It mops and vacuums, so pretty much any hard floor. I tried it on a vinyl kitchen floor, a tile bathroom floor, and several hardwood floors. It did a great job on each.

3) Does it get stuck a lot?
No, and on the rare occasions it did, it signaled to me with a sound, and when I pushed the information button it told me "I'm stuck" in a cute voice.

4) How's the battery life?
It charges fairly quickly (but do a long charge the first time before using it) and will last for a couple average sized rooms before wanting to recharge.

5) So uh, does it like, clean floors?
Yup. I let my floors get pretty bad, but it did a great job of cleaning. There were a few small wet dust bunny clumps left behind, but it got 98% of what was on the floor.

6) Is it a pain to clean?
You need to empty and rinse the water tank and rinse the scrubby brush assembly after each room. This is very easy, just rinse in the sink. The water tank will probably dump out some dust bunny clumps. Toss them in the garbage. Not a big deal.

7) But . . . is it worth the price?
This little monster is pricey, no doubt, but if you hate cleaning floors as much as I do, it's worth it. It's well built, the programming is smart, it really gets the floor clean, and can be run with just plain tap water, or you can add a little of the included cleaning fluid if you like. It has a little invisible barrier unit that comes with so you can prevent it wandering into another room. It has everything you need.

Happy cleaning!
55 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Edit: I had to remove a star because the Scooba will sometimes end it's cycle under the bed. It's a large bed so it is sometimes very difficult to reach it. I certainly don't start it under the bed so I'm not sure why it ends there. It's a fairly serious design flaw if you have a very large area underneath something that is difficult to move. Fortunately it isn't impossible for me to reach it...just difficult.

My experience with floor cleaning robots started with the Mint 4200. I wanted a sweeping robot to get under the beds and futon in the apartment. I really like the Mint and it does exactly what I want it to do--sweep dust.

So I was really excited to try the Scooba 450 because i thought it would take my robotic floor cleaning to a new level and in a way, it has. First I want to say this is a very well made robot and it does a fine job in a small room on floors that are perfectly flat and even. In my kitchen, which has new tile, the cleaning is amazing. It sucks up almost as much water as it puts down and the water that comes up is disgusting! That's good. You want the dirty water going down the drain. However, in larger rooms, where the floor is less even, the performance is not nearly as impressive.

I have finished hardwood floors in most of my apartment and it is really old and has many gaps between the planks. When the Scooba runs over this flooring it sprays down a lot of water but is actually sucks up very little of it. I'm assuming this is because of a combination of factors. I think the small gaps in the floor are breaking the suction that the robot needs to maintain in order to effectively draw the water back up. Also, I think a lot of the water is just simply seeping into the gaps in the floor. To be fair to iRobot this isn't their fault. Ideally a hardwood floor would be flat and even and have no gaps. if that if what you have I'm sure the Scooba will work spendidly. If you have old uneven hardwood floors you may be less happy. I'm not sure if iRobot can address this in some way. maybe if the robot could be set for "uneven flooring" it could be set to move more slowly, wiggle more, and vacuum harder...I don't know.

Further, I find it odd that the Scooba only has two settings; It has a 20 minute cycle and a 40 minute cycle. The robot can't detect the size of the room it's in and adjust the length of the cleaning cycle. So if you put it in a 7 by 7 room and set it for a small room it's going to clean for 20 minutes just like it would in a 10 by 15 room (assuming you use the small room setting for both). The effect of this in say a 15 by 12 foot room is that if you set if for the small room it doesn't run long enough and if you set it for the large room it runs too long. It seems to me like the robot should automatically detect the room size and adjust the length of the cleaning cycle accordingly.

I've watched the robot work a few times now and I really don't like the algorithm it uses. It inexplicably covers the same part of the floor over and over and over while almost ignoring other parts. It really makes no sense and does not seem intelligent at all as it rams into the same obstacles (quite hard) again and again. With my Mint I can watch it and even though it isn't entirely predictable i can see that it goes over each part of the floor twice, and that's it. I've watched the Scooba go over the same spot more than 7 times while almost completely ignoring another spot. I don't think the Scooba can detect the amount of dirt on the floor so I don't think that's the reason. I just think the algorithm is kinda dumb. Having said that it does manage to end it's cycle with most of the floor dry so that is definitely a plus mark in favor of this unit.

I absolutely hated the smell of the floor cleaning additive that came with the Scooba but I used it anyway for all the rooms in my apartment (and that is what I based the review on). Going forward, even though they say not to, I instead will be using a mix of about 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water. It has worked fine so far even though my room smells like a salad for a while. For me I'll probably alternate back and forth between plain water and water with varying amounts of vinegar in it. However, be careful, they warn over and over in the manual that if you use something other than an iRobot approved solution you may invalidate your warranty.

Lastly, they say you don't have to vacuum before setting your Scooba loose but I don't agree. If you have a lot of dust on the floor I'd recommend vacuuming before you run the Scooba. What I do is run my Mint 4200 first and then run the Scooba. When I tried running the Scooba without clearing the dust first the entire roller and suction piece was all gummed up with lint/dust goop.

Overall the Scooba is a fine appliance. if you have very smooth and even floors and rooms that are exactly 150 or 300 square feet that need light regular cleaning you're going to be very happy. To the extent that your home deviates from that ideal you're going to be less and less satisfied. I'm not going to fault this unit because my floors aren't perfectly flat but I am taking off a star because of the limitations on the room size setting and the way that the Scooba rams into things, really hard, but still can't manage to clean each part of the floor the same number of times. It's really annoying to see it cleaning the same part of the floor over and over while the rest of the floor got, maybe, two passes.
55 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2014
We've had iRobot products since the first Roomba hit the scene, so of course the first Scooba was among them. While it was nice for a while, it was ultimately a bit of a PITA. Emptying it and cleaning it were tedious and awkward, and the smelly enzyme-based cleaning fluid was unpleasant enough that I usually just used water. It didn't do a very good job drying the floors, after, and there were always a couple little Scooba-lakes here and there after it was finished.

The 450 is an incredible improvement. It's so much easier to clean the brush and brush cage--just detach them and rinse then in the sink. (I have super-long hair which can wrap around the roller brush and is a pain to get off. I've learned to just cut one side with a box knife and unwrap it. Works for the Roombas, as well.) Rinsing and emptying the tanks is also a breeze. I dry everything off, reassemble it, and pop it in the charging dock (separate purchase) for it to run its drying cycle. It's actually easier to clean than the new Roombas. Cleaning the brushes on those guys--even the new models--is a bit of a pain in comparison.

It seems to work best on smoother surfaces. After cleaning, the heavily textured vinyl on the enclosed porch doesn't get as dry as the kitchen floor does. Still, it's not a big deal--just a minor difference, and not significant enough to stop me from using the Scooba on that floor.

The only caveat is that I would not run the Scooba without first vacuuming, using the Brava in dustmop mode, or running the Roomba. I know it says it handles both stages of cleaning, but if you have a lot of pet hair, it just gunks up the brushes and bristles/squeegee strips, and it's harder to get the clumps of hair out of the tank when you're rinsing it out. So I'd say it might very well be a one-step clean, but I don't think it works out quite that way for people with multiple pets.

As far as how it compares to the Brava, it's really a bit unfair. The Brava in wet-mop mode is the equivalent of a Swiffer WetJet, while the Scooba has an actual powered cleaning brush. The Brava is great for touch-ups or rooms that get hardly any traffic, but if there are spills or stains or general kitchen-floor grime, the Scooba is the clear winner for cleaning power.

The takeaway is that I love the new Scooba so much I'm going to give a couple of them as Christmas gifts this year. Definitely a vast improvement over previous Scoobas, and also stands well on its own.

Update: It's going on 6 months and I still have this little guy. In all that time I've only had two problems: once, it wasn't putting out any water. I took the tank/reservoir out, emptied it, dried it, refilled it and put it back in, and it seemed fine after that. The second time, it looked (from the Scooba paths on the kitchen floor and the extremely short cleaning cycle) like it hadn't actually cleaned the whole floor. This time (because it said it needed charging), I took it apart, emptied it out, dried and reassembled it, docked it, and let it charge a bi. (Which didn't take long because it hadn't run a full cycle.) Refilled the tank, started it again and it ran a full cycle.

Two issues in 6 months isn't that bad at all. And since I was able to fix it easily, I consider it no big deal. It's still easy to clean and it still does a great cleaning job thanks to the powered brushes, so I'm still in love. Best Scooba yet.
on December 3, 2014
Please use the comments section to share your tips: I would love to see if anyone else has some good tips to maintain good performance!

1. Never, ever use any solution other than what they tell you (going in or out.). The Scooba will break if you use anything but water, water/vinegar solution, or the stuff that they make you buy (grrr...) I have been through 4 Scoobas and it turns out that they have a sensor inside (Customer Service told me) that will be destroyed/degraded if the solution isn't one of the above. In fact, *I* thought that I could at least SUCK UP whatever I put down, including diluted Mr. Clean. Nope...technically I was not breaking the "rules", but it broke anyway.
2. You really need to vacuum before using Scooba. Otherwise junk gets sucked into the water tank and is gross to remove and might affect performance.
3. Be careful if you use Scooba to suck up spilled milk (or other liquids.) See #1. Best to get most of it up with something else first.
4. Maintain your Scooba for best performance. The squeegee might get old and less flexible, especially if you store Scooba in a hot garage. (Think car wipers. A horrible racket usually means you need to replace them.)
5. You will still need to do a deep cleaning every now and then. With 3 dogs and 3 kids, it's about once a month or every 6 weeks if I can stand it that long.

Scooba vs. the cheapest Floormate:

1. You will still need to do a real scrub and cleaning every now and then, bc Scooba is not great with corners of rooms and is not a deep cleaner. If you have dried grape juice in your tile grout, Scooba will hydrate it a bit, but it will not scrub it completely out if your grout lines. Floor mate doesn’t scrub, either, but I use the Floor mate for deep cleaning by bypassing the “squirt” function and spraying water directly on the floor. For deep cleaning I literally pour Vinegar & Water on the floor, swish it around with a brush on a pole meant for washing cars, and then suck it all up. Same issues as the Scooba: water left in grout lines, but it’s just water, not rehydrated baby food. At this point I would love to have a Scooba or Floormate that just sucks (no pun intended…) and therefore costs a lot less. I can use the kitchen sprayer on the floor if I want, just let me suck it all up quickly without having to empty the tank more than 2 times.
3. Floormate has a robust sucking wet vac, and of course it does: it’s 120VAC and several watts. This is nice because it goes pretty quickly, but it will never completely dry in grout lines.
4. Floormate is awesome for sucking up anything. It doesn't care if it's milk or Mr. Clean. But if Floormate costs about 1/4 of the Scooba, why does Scooba break if you use non-approved cleaners?
5. Floormate does not clean without you pushing it about the room, but at least it's more convenient and cleaner than pushing dirt around with a mop and bucket.

Why I love Scooba:

Scooba is ideal and worth it if you dislike having sticky floors and you have kids that manage to spill drops of milk, juice, etc., all the time. Scooba doesn’t mind running every single night while you sleep. And it will keep your carpets cleaner, too; less gets tracked about.

Another reason to use Scooba: you cannot get anyone else to help you clean. Scooba doesn't wait hours to start it's task like your teenage son. I need an iRobot that folds clothes, now. But folding a towel is a very hard task for a robot, actually (although one can do it at just 25 minutes per towel at the Berkely Robotics Lab, apparently.)

It’s so WORTH it just to save time, especially if you live with a person who is a clean freak and you have pets and kids. If you are a gadget geek you will actually enjoy cleaning the floor with a Scooba. Now when the dog tracks mud all through the kitchen, my heart doesn't sink with having to drag out the Floormate.

What I hate about Scooba:

1. The price. iRobot needs to get real and charge the military more for their robots (Did you know they make bomb robots for the military, too?) Don't charge consumers for your R&D. Scooba works already...just make it more robust and *cheaper* to buy with every new model.
2. A Scooba will not last forever like your mom's Kirby. It will break within 2 - 3 years depending on how often you use it and how careful you are with it. At this price and with excellent maintenance, it will still break in 2 - 3 years. Determine your Cash vs. Time Spent Cleaning ROI around that. Many people get only one year out of it. This has not changed since when I bought my first Scooba in 2006.
3. Scooba is not a fire-and-forget device. You do have to coddle it and learn it's quirks. That can be part of the fun of it if you are that kind of person. If you hate the idea of becoming a scientist like some kind of Jane Goodall of Scoobas, then do not buy a Scooba. In fact, just stay away from robots altogether. This can be a challenge for busy moms. OTOH, if your partner is a gadget geek, then this is the perfect way to get them to participate in cleaning. As a mom and an engineer, I have fought over the privilege to fiddle with the Scooba...and I always win because I can rely on the societal expectation that women do all the housework. :^P Just kidding. I fight over lots of things and win...
on August 31, 2014
This thing works pretty well when is works - the floors are cleaner after it runs than before. Not as clean as you can do by hand, but better than doing nothing. The solution is also very expensive. If the unit had lasted, I would give it 4 stars. However, the first unit I hard stopped putting down cleaning solution after a few weeks of use. I went back and forth with customer service a few times and they finally shipped me a new unit. The new one worked fine the first few times but is now having the same problem. I just contacted iRobot customer service, we will see how they resolve it this time. I'm hoping for a full refund - I'm ready to give up. I will update this review when the issue is resolved. My opinion - save your money.
on September 29, 2014
I read as many reviews as I could find on this product before purchasing. A lot of reviews are stating that it misses spots or over cleans certain areas. I noticed this too when I was cleaning a large room. I believe that many are using this robot not as intended. This is not to be used as a replacement to monthly cleaning with a mop and bucket, but as a change in the way you think about mopping your floors. What I have done in my month of ownership is: I split my tile floors in to 5 sections that are all relatively the same size, but very different shapes. I use the Scooba every day/every other day. By doing this have have noticed that the floors are cleaner and that the job that is done by the Scooba is remarkable. Remember you are telling a device to search your floors for dirt and sweep and mop them up - you are not programming a device with a room lay out. I have noticed, as others have said, that it does miss the occasional small area (1" by 10" or so) but by and large this robot covers every inch of the areas I have tasked it to clean. It is simple to set up and easy to use.

Suggestions:
1 buy the drying station/charging station $80 - not sure why this is not included for the price it is about $25 worth of material and should be included.
2 use the hottest water that you can get out of your faucet - don't go nuts here, just really hot tap water.
3 don't use the cleaning material every time, it seems to me that it would be a waste of money hot water seems to do the job of regular clean up and when you want that truly clean floor use the cleaning chemical. I use water 1 week, chemical the next.
4 don't expect it to do the job that is designed for elbow grease, you may need to clean your grout or scrub certain areas that have tough spots.

The reason for the 4 star rating instead of 5 stars is that the product doesn't come with the charging station only a charging cord - that's BS on the manufacturer, this is really only about 11oz of plastic shaped in an L, it doesn't do anything there are no moving parts and it is NOT worth $80, but it is all but required to get your Scooba dried and charged. It should be included in the product but isn't. Another reason is the proprietary cleaning chemicals that are required if you want to maintain your manufacturer's warranty. I disagree that IRobot produces something so special that Clorox does not have the ability to. It's just greedy and unnecessary.
VINE VOICEon May 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, the Scooba is a good device. It does most of what you ask of it, and does it fairly well. However, it's not a game changer for our household cleaning like the Roomba - it's just not automatic enough, and takes too much maintenance to be a daily use item. Further, its limited footprint and sometimes awkward handling of area rugs, thresholds, and the like, take it down to a 2 star item.

We use it to do occasional maintenance of rooms. It's not a deep cleaner. Unfortunately, the Scooba needs so much manual intervention that it becomes pointless. The Roomba is a far, far better buy - autonomous maintenance of your floors, and all you have to do is empty it every day or two. The Roomba made our lives appreciably better. The Scooba just doesn't.

Pros:
- It cleans up the areas I put it in. It'll make a good pass of the moderately messy floors, and dry them almost completely itself.
- Lower profile, so it'll go under beds, furniture, etc., and get all the nasty dusty bits that the Roomba doesn't pick up.
- Relatively quiet, so I can start it at night after everyone is in bed, and it doesn't wake them up.
- Set it and walk off. It'll clean a pretty good sized room all by itself, with no interference.

Cons:
- I find myself needing several of the invisible walls to really make it work. Thankfully we have a Roomba that came with 2 of them, and I can set up rooms in the size I need for the Scooba to work.
- It doesn't come with the drying dock. We have tile floors, so it's not much of an issue, but it is a bit strange to set it down on the ground with wet parts everywhere. The dock adds significant more expense to the device.
- You'll definitely need to spot clean. With a 3 year old and a 1 year old, our dining room sees a lot of food. Anything sticky, or ground in, or otherwise smooshed, needs to be spot cleaned before or after the Scooba.
- The worst of all, every time you use it, it needs filled, then run, then emptied, cleaned, and charged. If I could do 3-4 rooms back to back just by changing the water and fluid, it might be OK. As is, I do a room or maybe 2 at a time, then it needs a charge. That's a lot of manual intervention for it to cover a ~350 square foot room. I'd rather just get out the steam mop, or mop and bucket, and do the whole first floor in 20-30 minutes by myself.
- We have a couple larger thresholds in the house. It likes to try to get up on one, but just sits and dumps water over and over until you move it. Ditto with an area rug - it attempts to get on the (dark brown) rug, while soaking the edges of the rug and the floor next to it.
on May 11, 2014
Not impressed...at all
"Iadapt Technology" is a joke!!!!! It reminds me of a toy robot that I had a kid; the robot would spin around in circles and then pick a direction and go straight for a wall. Then hit the wall and then spin around pick a direction and go for a different wall. This was fun as a kid, but using the law of averages to clean something just does not work very well. My kitchen is about 298sqft and it missed about 1/4 of my kitchen. Also Irobot clams to see carpet and through rugs. Not true started to try and clean my carpet and got it quite damp. Virtual wall did not work on my 13.5' threshold. But the most important question is, the spots it did "clean" was it clean? Look at the picture and you decide.
review image
22 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2015
We had already been Roomba users for a couple of years when we purchased the iRobot Scooba 450. The first thing to know is that when you get a Roomba or Scooba, it will take you LONGER to clean your floor than doing it the old fashioned way. This is because you'll be so mesmerized by the fact that a robot is doing the work for you, you'll want to crack open a Coke and sit and watch it. The way it hugs the corners of the room and goes around each leg of your chairs and tables is fascinating.

I made the mistake of giving this to my wife as a gift. Even though it's an expensive piece of technology, it's still a mop. And wives don't like mops as presents. Once she saw it in action, though, she was sold. In order to test it out, I mopped the floor the old fashioned way one last time. Then I ran Scooba over it. When Scooba was done, the water that came out of her tank (yes, she's a she) looked like chocolate milk and our floor looked amazing. The tile in our kitchen is natural stone (honed quartz) and more porous than ceramic tile, so apparently there was A LOT of dirt in there that regular mopping has a hard time getting to. The brushes on the Scooba are so fast (600 rpm, yes, it makes a little noise) that it scrubs the dirt out of the floor. It is, however, still gentle enough to use on any type of flooring that you would mop with water, including natural stone. Same goes for the cleaner, completely safe and gentle enough to use on it (you can use vinegar as well).

Pros:
- Cleans floors better than you can (trust me) short of spending a day on hands and knees scrubbing with a brush and rinsing over and over
- Does it in about 40 minutes
- You don't have to sweep before starting Scooba up! Although, with five kids I try to at least pick up anything big
- Doesn't require supervision (once you have your fill of watching in amazement)

Cons:
- It's not inexpensive
- It doesn't quite handle mopping my kitchen and dining room at once. It can almost do it, but the area is so big that the water from one pass starts to dry up before Scooba makes it back. We've found we're better off using the light walls to block it off and do the kitchen and dining room separately
- My two year old is scared of it

Tips:
- Use vinegar when you run out of cleaning solution
- Make sure to empty and rinse your Scooba when it's done cleaning and leave the caps off so it dries out well (or by one of these: Dry Dock Charging and Drying Stand for iRobot Scooba S450)
- Keep it plugged when not in use to maintain batter life
- Clean out the filter after every few uses! You have to unscrew it with a philips screwdriver, and then rinse it out. If you don't do this, it will become clogged and Scooba will stop putting down water! It took me a call to support to realize this was my issue, but the customer service was GREAT and they sent me a free bottle of cleaning solution for my trouble.