2,539
Otterbox [Defender Series] Samsung Galaxy S5 Case - Retail Packaging Protective Case for Galaxy S5  - Max 5 Blaze (Blaze Orange/Black/Max 5 Design)
Color Name: Blaze Orange/Black/Max 5 DesignProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$49.65 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 9, 2014
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
I was a little hesitant at first when ordering this case due to the fact that the defender cases have been super bulky in the past. Much to my surprise, Otterbox and their Defender Series Cases have come a long way since I contemplated ordering one a few years ago. This case is extremely thin for the protection it seems to offer. The build quality is superb and should protect the phone very well! I love the built in screen protector as opposed to trying to line up the sticky screen protectors with a few of the cheaper cases. The price seems fair as well. I paid $49.95 on Amazon. If ordered directly from Otterbox it will cost around $10 more.

At the time of this post, the Lifeproof Case for the s5 has not been released. A huge deciding factor in choosing Otterbox over Lifeproof is the mixed reviews the s4 Lifeproof Case received about echoing when people try to talk to you.

The belt clip seems to be nice and lock the case into place, but realistically I'll never use it. I keep my phone in my pocket. The buttons seem stiff, but from what I've read it's common at first on Otterbox cases.

Overall, this case is a little pricey costing about 25% of the phone's cost after a contract renewal, but I feel it's definitely worth it (especially when you consider the alternative is paying full price for an s5 because yours broke in the middle of your contract). Lifeproof will cost you about $20-$30 more.

I'll try to update this review accordingly as time progresses!

*****UPDATE: 7/8/2014 - I've had this case for a little over 3 months now and I still really like it! I've only taken it off of my phone 1 time since purchasing (to clean the dust out and reset the phone by pulling the battery). It was very easy and quick to remove. This case has definitely protected my phone against my toddler's destructive ways on numerous occasions. The only problem I've noticed is that sometimes the case's buttons will slip off of the phone's buttons when I try to adjust the volume. It's not a big deal. I just hit the button again until it works correctly.

The screen protector is still smooth and my finger is able to glide across it effortlessly, which is nice since I am addicted to my phone and use it almost nonstop.

I've talked several coworkers and friends into purchasing this case. So far I haven't had any complaints from them!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
Had this case for about a week now, so far so good. Really like the color I chose, purple. I would say it's actually a little lighter than picture & in between purple & pink. Fits perfectly & built in screen protector avoids the hassle of having to install that separately. No major drops so far so will post an update if anything changes in the future. I did originally have a wallet case from a different brand when I first purchased my GS5 & that was a mistake because with the first major drop screen cracked & had to get phone replaced.

I did have an Otterbox case before for my Galaxy S 4 but it was the Commuter Series, very pleased with that case & it kept my phone in pristine condition.

The only thing to keep in mind for this particular case is that it is quite a bit of work to get on and off but I did expect that since I moved up a series of protection. Will consider giving the Commuter Series for Galaxy S 5 a try if they make more colors available on Amazon.
review image review image review image
on April 14, 2014
Color Name: White/Gunmetal GreyProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
I have really enjoyed this case over the past 4 days, but it won't be for everyone. For those that are rough on phones, don't mind using a standard pass code, and don't want to use the heartbeat sensor it will be the perfect case.

*** Update *** I have found that if you make sure to not roll your thump up to the tip at the bottom the finger print unlock works 90% of the time.

Pros:
-The case fits great and is much better than the defender I had for the iphone 3Gs.
-It installs quickly and doesn't leave air bubbles between the screen protector and display.
-The case is grippy without sticking to pockets.

Cons:
-The lip around the front of the screen makes the fingerprint scanner difficult to use, but it will work as long as you drag your finger across both the sensor and don't roll up to your fingertip at the lip.
-The bezel around the camera makes the heartbeat sensor hard to use as well and I have had more issues with that than the finger print sensor. I wouldn't recommend this case if you are planning to use the sensor often, but it will work if you are just going to toy around with it.
-The case weighs around the same as the phone and adds a little bulk.
-The charging port is a little hard to get to, but can still easily be opened with fingernails
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
The overall protection is good. The cutout on the phone does align perfectly with the button and covers the button slightly. Also, the lip at the bottom of the case is a little to high if you are using the fingerprint scanner on the phone. This makes it slightly difficult to swipe your finger. The back has a heart rate monitor, which is accessible because Otterbox sloped the edge on the back. They should have done the same on the front. Also, if you place the phone face down this case will slide on a table because the hard plastic is raised higher than the outer rubber. While I was ordering the case I was worried that it would be too bulky, but this does offer great protection for the phone without adding too much bulk.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2014
Good case in the beginning, but after a few weeks the rubber part got all stretched out and didn't fit the phone anymore. Will not be buying anymore of these cases!
on August 15, 2014
Color Name: White/Gunmetal GreyProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
I have been a fan of Otterbox since they first began selling phone cases, but this case is a very poor design. The flap by the home button stretches and gets loose from going in and out of your pocket and the button to turn the screen on and of doesn't line up right and I have to pull the rubber outer shell back to use that button more often than not. This case is making me lose faith in Otterbox products.
on October 1, 2014
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
While most of the design on this multi-piece case is well-done, the screen protector is horrible. It is made from some cheap, easily scratched plastic that becomes covered with scratches and gouges with normal use. I ordered a warranty replacement 2 weeks ago and it still has not shown up. I am not receiving the "Otteriffic" experience the customer service rep promised.

I do not understand why they did not use a higher quality, scratch-proof protector on an otherwise well designed case. I will not recommend Otterbox to anybody and will ask for a refund from Amazon since Otterbox has not even responded to the promised warranty replacement. Sorry, but this is a case of saving a few cents on a key component of an expensive case. The few cents Otterbox saved has lost them a potentially loyal customer and turned me into a ardent detractor..
on November 24, 2014
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingVerified Purchase
Fit: Received this case today. It fit my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone perfectly; which is to say, it absolutely could not have fit better. Otterbox did a beautiful job of design and engineering here. The fit is so perfect that it takes a bit of care and thinking to insert your phone into the case. I suspect that is why some of the 1 and 2 star folks are complaining, i.e. they didn't do it properly, messed up their new case, and are now blaming Otterbox. So if you buy one of these, take your time, examine the case carefully before disassembling it (it comes assembled), note where the fasteners are and how it fits together. There are a number of Youtube videos showing assembly that are worth watching.

Fingerprint Scanner: I use the Samsung fingerprint scanner routinely. I have used it multiple times with this new case in the past 12 hours. I have had absolutely no problems with it. So uncheck that complaint. It's just not a problem. Take your time, do it properly and your screen will unlock every time. This case in no way hinders that.

Belt Clip: It takes two hands and a bit of care to insert and remove the phone from the belt clip. Maybe with time I will get better, but the point is not to drop the phone. So I would rate this a bit cumbersome; but something I suspect that one would get use to quickly.
The phone + case is noticeably heavier, but not bothersome.

Phone Functions (swiping, tapping etc.): Not affected by case whatsoever as far as I can tell. Obviously NFC is not going to work, but it doesn't work with any case that I am aware of. I think that you have to be within 2 mm of the other device to trigger NFC and I doubt if that is going to happen with his case-- although I have not fully tested it yet.

Why only 4 Star? I rarely give anything 5 stars, but I was tempted here. I may revisit and upgrade to 5 after using the case for a few weeks. But, I do recommend this case for with no reservations.

Note: Amazon sometimes mixes reviews from different models together which can be confusing. This review is for the Samsung S5 Defender case from Otterbox.
on May 5, 2014
Verified Purchase
I have had otter boxes in the past, but this one didn't fit well at all, it would not stay latched which kept making the rubber slip off on the corners.
on February 22, 2015
Color Name: Slate Grey/Deep WaterProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This case has a major flaw. I did drop my phone and it was a face down drop from my pants pocket when I took the phone out. So this was a 3 foot high drop. My Samsung phone screen was full of spider cracks from the landing. It was not the ground cracked the screen, it was the hard plastic outer ring of the otter box case that was pushed into the screen by the hear speaker. There is no forgiveness in the case when dropped face down. The soft rubber should project out past the hard plastic and absorb this type of drop. This is a major flaw in the design that can be easily corrected. I have emailed Otter Box on this issue and hopefully it will lead to a design change. I added pics of the damage.
review image review image