Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder with 1.5 inch One Touch EZD Ring, White, Pack of 4 (79781)
Size: 1.5 InchStyle: Pack of 4Change
Price:$22.84+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 1, 2014
These are nice binders. They feature clear inserts for the front, back and spine covers. They also have 2 stacked sleeve pockets on both the front and rear inside covers. The quality of the binder is standard. Nothing exceptional other than design.

If the binder was a little more quality and heavier duty then I would have felt it deserved a 5th star.

The one feature that really makes it new and exciting and worth the full 4 stars is the EZ D Ring. There is just one lever at the bottom of the rings. When you pull down on it, with little pressure, the rings open. Wow. That's great. You can do it with just one thumb. It really is EZ. You cannot open the rings by pulling them apart either. That is great to keep papers in. To close the rings you push them together, push the lever up, or sometimes just closing the binder works. Overall very impressed with this feature.

4 full stars for innovation. If the jackets were higher quality then it would have gotten a 5th star!
VINE VOICEon August 29, 2014
The Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder reviewed here is one step above the Avery Durable View Binder in quality and price. At first glance, they appear identical.

*Both binders have D-shaped rings.

*Both have a full-size clear external pocket on the front and rear that permit an 8.5 x 11 sheet to be inserted - hence the name view binder.

*Both have a clear external pocket covering the spine to allow an additional insert.

But on close inspection important differences become evident:

*The D rings on the heavy-duty binder include one-touch opening that really works.

*The plastic material feels thicker and more substantial - even at the hinge points.

*There are 2 pockets on the inside front flap and 2 on the back. (the Durable only has 1 pocket per flap)

The Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder is an excellent product. It costs about 25% more than the Avery Durable View Binder, but I think it's worth it for applications that require daily use.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 26, 2014
The rings of these binders are easily opened and then locked shut with just one hand, a very nice feature for students and other people who need to move a lot pages in an out of the binders, sometimes under time pressure, and also for people like me who temporarily have an injured wrist. The front and back have full side clear pockets that can be used for cover sheets, and inside the binder there there are four partial page pockets--two per side--that can fit a few pieces of paper each. These binders aren't especially big, but the shape of the rings does mean more pages can fit inside than would if they had round rings, and those papers lie flat when the binder is open. While sturdy enough for average use, certainly they are fine for office use, these binders would have a limited lifespan with anyone who tends to be rough on belongings.
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2014
Before I ordered this product, I read some of the reviews on Amazon and I was actually 'excited' (if you can get excited over binders...) to get them. However, once I received them, I was disappointed because these binders are not better than the binders I usually get for half the price. So the main point is that these binders are greats, yes, heavy-duty and everything, but they are just as good as other binders from other brands that are half the price. Because of that, I can't give this product more than 3 stars. Great binders, but overpriced.
on August 31, 2014
the rings work great, one touch and they are open or closed (only has tab on one side to open and close) but the binder feels cheaply made so the reason for the 3 stars. It does have pockets inside to hold loose paper on both the front and the back which I like and it would be handy to keep things organized and not falling out. If the price is right it is a good binder just don't expect it to last long.
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2014
I have to start off by saying that I've been using Avery binders for years and I've always been pleased with them. I have a variety of binders from them ranging from the economy ones to the heavy-duty ones and some of them have the EZD ring while others have the standard O rings with the metal tabs for opening them. This EZ D-ring binder is the second one we have. The one I brought last year is a 2 inch binder and overall I feel that one is far better construction than this one.

The good points about this binder are the double pockets inside the binder. These are helpful for organizing papers and keeping them separated which is a feature that I regularly utilize in the binders we use for homeschooling. The D-rings hold more papers than the standard O-rings and I feel it makes opening and closing the binder to remove and add papers easier since the pages that are already in the binder don't start to fall out as soon as you open the rings. I also like that you can customize the look of the binder thanks to the clear pockets on the binder's cover. My kids and I like to add colorful scrapbooking papers to these binders so we can tell who each binder belongs to.

So here's what has me unhappy about his binder. I feel like quality control must have been abandoned for this binder. The vinyl covering for the exterior of the binder is wrinkled and wavy. It's the first that I've ever seen such a thing on an Avery binder and we have about 15 of them in our home. The EZ touch lever on the binder to open and close the rings feels incredibly cheap. The lever on the 2 inch binder we have is metal with a nice rubberized sleeve on it. This one is just plastic and it doesn't feel like great quality plastic. I suspect this lever will probably break after a period of use. If you asked me to guess whether this binder was from the economy line or the heavy-duty line of Avery binders I would have guessed economy. I don't know if this binder just isn't the same quality because it's supposed to be part of a bundle of 4 or if the quality has really slipped that much in a single year. The regular O-ring heavy duty binders we purchased at Target a few weeks ago for a few dollars a piece seem to be much nicer quality.
on September 5, 2014
This is a package of 4 1" heavy duty binders. As far as binders go, Avery makes some quality products. These particular binders have a unique ring system that opens and closes easily with one hand, and is shaped in such a way to allow a larger volume of paper in a smaller space. The front, back, and interior of the binders are covered with clear plastic allowing you to modify the appearance without writing or permanently marking the cover. The exterior has one large pocket on the front and back, and an area on the spine that can hold an inserted label as well. The inside front and back contain two spaced pockets allowing more than one storage area for papers.

These binders are insanely expensive. You can find 1" binders for less than $3 at office supply stores and department stores. Binders have a tendency to fall apart at the seams over time. So called "Heavy Duty" binders should survive longer than lower quality once. I'm not sure if the quality difference is worth the insanely high price until I have tried out the binder for an extended length of time.

I will say what I can see one potential structural flaw. The plastic at the joints is incredibly thin which allows the binder to open and close smoothly. Two of the binders I received were already slit at these seams, which means I would expect them to rip open at the joints with even mild use. I am not sure if I just got a bad batch of product, or if this is a result of a more prevalent manufacturing problem. Still, I would be hesitant to order these binders "sight unseen" from an online source, especially given the expense, unless I could be assured that I wouldn't end up with a similar fault in the product.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We have used Avery binders for years. We bought them because we knew we would get a sturdy product that would at least last an entire school year. I am not sure if Avery is now using a different manufacturer, but the quality of these "heavy duty" 1.5 inch binders is not very good. The binders came shipped in a cardboard box, each one laid in a different direction, none sealed, no padding in the shipping box. The binders came with dents in the corners where the binders fold, one had a ripped corner, and the sturdiness factor wasn't quite there. All had a crinkled look on the spine as if to suggest that the glue that holds the plastic onto the paperboard had lifted and was permanently wrinkled. While the ease of opening the rings with the top and bottom tabs is simple and easy to do, the less than stellar construction takes away from the overall quality of the product.

As a side note, my daughter is using the 2 inch Avery binder for elementary school this year. One month in to using the binder, it is already separating at the seams, and she will be lucky to make it to Christmas break before it completely falls apart. Whatever Avery needs to do to get back to being thought of as a manufacturer of quality products, they need to change quickly. I am not willing to pay a premium for the Avery name if the quality isn't better than the generic ones I can buy at Walmart for far less money. At $8.95 per binder, there is no way I would ever justify the cost. Wish I could recommend these, but it seems this once reliable brand is not any more.
on September 16, 2014
This binder holds papers and other 3-hole items neatly, with each sheet flipping over easily. I like the d-ring style, instead of the circular rings I grew up with. The d-ring style allows you to open the binder flat and to insert more items.

Unlike most binders that come with two inner pouches/slots that go up about 1/3 from the bottom, located inside the front and back covers, there are two additional inner slots that take up about 2/3 from the bottom. So, that's 4 inner slots. While that might seem useless, it makes grabbing few grouped sheets out easier because they're separated by the slots.

I've used binders with smoother mechanisms, but the one-touch, one-handed EZ-D ring works well. It's so easy that a preschooler can work the tab to open. No more having to find space for your fingers on the ring itself to open and close the rings because those two metal tabs we used to push down at the top and bottom were pretty much useless. Also, the d-ring style allows you to put all the contents on to one side.

You can't open it by prying the ring open, but you can close by the rings and by the tab.

I am concerned about the durability of the binder because it seems flimsier than binders that I'm used to, especially the plastic sleeves and the creases. Only time will tell.
VINE VOICEon September 8, 2014
Size: 1 InchStyle: Pack of 4Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
These notebooks seem to be well made.

You can "customize" the front and back covers and spine by slipping sheets of paper under the clear plastic outer covers.
This is a good way to indicate a notebook's content and differentiate it from others.

Inside there are two pockets for loose sheets, both on the inside front cover and the inside back cover. Alwaysa a good idea for notebooks lilke these.
The D rings hold more paper and open and close easily and accurately by pulling or shoving the lever at the bottom. (The rings on cheaper notebooks often do not snap closed accurately, causing notebook paper sheets to tear at their holes.)

At the current price of $33.26, that means about $8.32 per notebook--a little steep, but I think the quality of this notebook means it will last a good while and therefore the cost will be worth it.

Note: I received 4 of these notebooks for free for review. Some companies advertize a package but stingily send only one item for a review. This company is generous, a good sign that they are willing to invest wisely to gain loyal customers.

Rcommended..