Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We all know that Rachael Ray doesn't own a cookware manufacturing company. She licenses her name out. So the obvious question is: Who makes this stuff, and is there any reason to expect it might be OK?

The answer: This set is manufactured by the Meyer corporation, one of the biggest cookware manufacturers in the world. They own and/or manufacture a variety of decent brands: Circulon, Anolon, and Farberware. They also manufacture the Paula Deen line, the relatively low end SilverStone line, and this, Rachael Ray. Circulon and Analon are good midline nonstick pans, and you'll find the Farberware name on some nice midline stainless steel.

Where does Rachael Ray fit in? Basically, it's somewhat lower end than either Circulon or Analon. And that assessment comes primarily from the weight of this cookware. This stuff is relatively light. Now, some will appreciate the thinner walls and smaller weight. But if you are a serious cook you know that lighter stuff tends to have more hot spots and doesn't cook as evenly. It also doesn't hold the heat as efficiently.

So this is NOT something you should buy if you're a serious cook, or you're looking to upgrade from a decent set of starter cookware.

The nonstick surfaces seem acceptable. I used the pans for a couple of weeks and haven't seen any of the kinds of flaking that you see almost immediately when you use very cheap cookware. Whether they'll last for the long haul I can't say. But my guess would be, given the price point, that they'll eventually start to scratch and chip, the way that most low/midline cookware does.

The handles are cute: Stainless Steel with a silicone cover that is color coordinated. The color accents are a nice touch, but to be honest, the silicone is not thick enough to prevent the handles from getting very very hot with extended use. In other words, you will need your own gloves or mitts to use with these pots if you are heating long enough that the handles start to get hot.

In terms of value, I'd say you get about what you pay for--certainly this is not a "best buy". Oh, and the 12 piece set is really a 10 piece set. They've thrown in two extremely cheap (though color coordinated) utensils to up the count to 12. But cookware sets have traditionally been described by the number of pot/pan elements in the set--and most lines still do this. So when comparing price, consider this a 10 piece set.

On the whole, whether this set makes any sense for you will depend a lot on whether you're upgrading from low end junk and how much the coordinated color accents on the handles are worth to you. If you already have a decent set of cookware, I can't imagine replacing it with this. And if the color accents are not interesting to you, there are other sets of comparable or better quality that can be had (on sale) at a better price.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2014
Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing of note about this set is the spoon and spatula. They are not good quality items at all, they are more like a cheap, sneaky way to get to call this a 12 piece set. I was looking forward to receiving this set because I've been using a Cuisinart set for the last five years that isn't perfectly round (but the lids are) so I never get a tight seal on them, plus I've ruined the non-stick surface on a few of them. I was ready to really love these (although, I've been to the QVC site and seen all the cool colors Rachael Ray cookware comes in and felt this set was kind of boring in comparison.)

The second thing of note: the handles look really cheap. Third: the walls and bottoms are very thin. Fourth: compared to my old Cuisinart 66-14 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 14-Piece Cookware Set, this one looks like it is for a child. As of this writing, the Cuisinart set is actually cheaper than this set, and if you get a set that is perfectly round, it will be superior to this one in every way (and if you don't, don't be a dummy like me and use it anyway...exchange it!)

I was hoping to replace my old set with this one, and some of the pots being smaller could be useful, and the lids fit very well, but it will really be more like a supplement to my old set until I find something better.

The set includes:
8.5" skillet
10" skillet
1 qt saucepan + lid
2 qt saucepan + lid
3 qt saute pan + lid <-- a nice size pan, too bad about the thin walls/bottom
6 qt stockpot + lid <-- useful for many soup recipes
2 awful plastic utensils

Really, if you don't cook that much and want a cute set, get Rachael Ray but get one of the fun colors...otherwise for the same amount of money you could get something better.
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2014
Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Based on past purchases, I consider Rachel Ray cookware to be basic, "starter" type pieces--something to use for a few years, and then replace.

Overall, the cookware is somewhat on the light side. You do get a great selection of useful pieces, except for the silly utensils--why are the handles so short? I've never seen anything like that before, and it renders them pretty useless. Other Rachel Ray sets come with cookie trays instead, so it may be wise to do a little comparison shopping before purchasing.

The pieces perform as expected. So far so good, but past Rachel Ray hard-anodized cookware scratched easily and quickly lost its non-stick properties, so it's hard to be too enthusiastic at this point.

The plastic handles are a nice touch, but they DO get hot if you're cooking for a while.

I think overall these are fine if you don't do a lot of cooking and don't need them to last forever. Otherwise, you might consider investing in a better set.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 26, 2014
Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We have had 2 Rachel Ray cookware pieces for a little over a year, a small skillet and a small saucepan. They have been used daily for at least one meal/day since we got them. Our daughter bought herself a set of Rachel Ray pots, pans, and skillets when she moved into a new house. It was her housewarming gift to herself. A friend gave her the two extra pieces which she into gave to us.

I cannot think of a single negative factor concerning the Rachel Ray items we have. They still look brand new. They clean easily and nicely. They can be used in the oven, which we have done often, as long as the temperature is 400 or less. On the stove top, you can use low or high heat with no worries about your meal or your pans.

Our first use of this new set was tonight when we used the large skillet for bacon (BLT's on the menu), we used the large saucepan to heat some corn on the cob, and the small saucepan to cook some chocolate pudding. All the items cooked perfectly, the pans were easy to clean up, and I am very pleased. Having a stockpot and sauté pan will be wonderful additions to our kitchen.

The color of the non-stick surface is pleasing to the eye and the handles make these worth exhibiting in our kitchen. Perhaps the only non-positive comment I could make would be concerning the turner. I don't care for its flexibility, and prefer our OXO utensils. The shatter-proof lids (or so they claim, I hope it's true because I am clumsy) help me see how things are doing without having to remove the lids. That is a great feature.

All in all, I imagine we will be using this collection for years and years, and I highly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon August 4, 2014
Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The set comes well packed, if anything may be over packed, there is a lot of cardboard and the pieces are actually hard to remove from the box. There were no instructions or care info in the set I received. The set is made in China, i don't know why I'm surprised but I was not expecting that. I have been using a WearEver set so that will be my comparison. As for my level of expertise, I once heard someone say when they were being pressed to over upgrade their kitchen, I'm a cook not a chef.

First off I will admit that whenever a set counts a spoon and spatula as pieces I kind of feel cheated. For example, my WearEver set was 15 "real" pieces (8 pans & 7 lids) for $159 vs. $179.95 for this set. As mentioned by others, the pieces are small, particularly the spatula, my hand will actually reach up far enough up the handle to reach the bottom of the spatula. They are somewhat flimsy. Even the spoon just seems small.

First time I used them I noticed that they seemed a little smaller than my other pans. I actually measured the 8 1/2" pan and the Rachael Ray pan cooking area is smaller than the 8 1/2 inch pan I was using, about 6 1/4 inches vs. 5 3/4. The reason is that the Rachael Ray frying pans sides slope down from the rim at a steeper angle making the cooking area slightly smaller. The handles are a little smaller than I would like, but seem sturdy. The orange cover on the handle seems to have a rough surface to prevent slipping, nice touch.

I cooked several items in both the Rachael Ray and my old WearEver. The Ray pans seem to take just a little longer to heat up and cook, but seem to cook evenly. I really could not tell any difference in anything I cooked expect the Ray pans took a tiny bit longer to cook. They do clean up perfectly, I didn't even have to use a sponge after frying up some eggs, water alone cleaned them perfectly. The box says they are dishwasher safe, to me that means OK in bottom rack and heated dry is OK, but again no care/washing instructions were included in my set. Wondering what will happen to the orange material on the handle after repeated washings or near the drying element in the dishwasher.

Really there is nothing wrong with this set, its just seems you can get a set that is as good, or better, for less money and one that has more pots and pans. And then go out and buy yourself a $3 spatula that fits an adult hand.
on November 29, 2014
So far so great! We are quite pleased with our order. At the time of this purchase, we also ordered a set of di-Oro spatulas in cranberry (which matches perfectly) so we didn't scratch the non-stick. We've cooked various meals on varying temps with them and then washed them clean with no issues. The non stick is holding up fine and baring any catastrophes, I can foresee us using this set for several years to come.
on February 12, 2015
I'm no professional chef by any means, but I am a wife and a mom of four hungry teenagers and all their hungry friends. I am also very picky about decor and style. These pans are wonderful, cook evenly, the non stick is amazing, they clean up well and look beautiful on my stove (I actually bought these mainly because I love the color). I really don't see how anyone could be disappointed with this set.
Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In this Rachel Ray 12 piece set you'll get an 8.5" skillet, 10"skillet, 1 qt. covered sauce pan w/lid, 3 qt. covered sauté pan, 6 qt. covered stock pot and a slotted spatula and slotted spoon.
My main concern with any hard anodized set is its ability to heat evenly, withstand high temperatures, and clean with ease. If the pans are evenly balanced and the lids fit firmly and create a nice seal, all the better. I have now used hard anodized for over twenty years and would probably still be using my original set had it not been for Vine and two kids who inherited the first set when each went to college.
On the face of it, this is an attractive set. The handles are riveted securely and are covered with an orange rubberized material that has a 'cool' touch. The surface interior on this set has non-stick properties and the impact resistance glass lids fit securely and allow the user to 'monitor' the cooking process.
Upon receipt today these pots and pans were in perfect condition. I washed them in warm water and soap, rinsed and then dried them and then put them through my stress test. I cooked eggs in the fry pan, burned cheese and marshmallows in them, fried eggplant in them, cooked pasta in the stock pot, and even finished off Eggplant Parmesan in the oven to brown at 400 degrees. I made a cheese sauce for broccoli in the smaller sauce pan.
In every case the heat was evenly distributed which resulted in food that was evenly cooked. I repeated the washing/drying process. Clean up was very easy even when tackling the burned marshmallows. Overall, I'd rate this set at a solid 5* with the exclusion on the slotted spoon and spatula which were nothing special and seemed somewhat cheap. The only other negative was that I washed one pan in my dishwasher which came out mildly spotted. A little manual scrubbing removed the spots. I wouldn't recommend this as machine washable.
While this set is attractive, it is not nearly as heavy as my other anodized cookware and lacks the heft and core of higher priced anodized aluminum cookware.
Given the time limitations on this review which is predicated on preliminary use, I have no way to know if the pans will warp with continued use. Given the price and the general performance of this cookware set, I'd rate this as a solid 4* set. It is great for a young couple starting out or a college student.
Color: Pumpkin OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We are now transitioning between our still in good shape Circulon Symmetry cookware and this new set of RachaelRay Cucina..Though I personally think Rachael is still as cute a puppy, I still prefer the Circulon set while Mrs. Spudman is leaning towards the Rachael Ray set.

Like most cookware sets, the stated number of pieces is deceptive. With the Cucina collection you get six cooking utensils: 2 skillets, 2 covered saucepans, a covered saute, and a covered stockpot. Mrs. Spudman (who does 95% of the cooking) likes the depth of the Rachael Ray cookware, the comfortable handles, the aesthetics, and mostly the light weight. She is not keen on getting a workout while cooking, so the lighter pans are a relief to her. For what it's worth, boiling water in the lighter Cucina cookware is much faster than in our heavier Circulon set.

The lids fit nicely and the overhanging metal lip on each lid does help retain heat and moisture in the food. One of the metal edges of a large lid came bent right out of the box. Had we bought this set, we'd have been upset.

Should you buy this set? It depends on whether you think six pots and pans are worth the asking price. Don't even consider the addition of the nominal spatula and slotted spoon. Also to consider are the lighter weight of this set and the aesthetics of the comfortable pumpkin colored handles. These are also dishwasher safe.

Bottom line - The consensus of the Potato Heads is that this set rates four stars plus.
on March 6, 2015
I love Rachel Ray and these pans speak volumes in her pride in cooking by providing us with an excellent product to make our meals come together easily!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations