Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Caliber IV Digital Hygromter by Western Humidor
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 24, 2013
This hygro seems to be winner. The display is smaller than the Xikar that I'm relpacing. However it's still readable thru the glass top of my humidor. Unlike it's predecessor (the Caliber III), this unit can be calibrated should you ever feel the need. However, these come factory pre-calibrated which I intend to leave untouched. The unit is small (about 1 inch wide, by about 4 inches long, by about 3/8" inch thick.) It comes with a magnetic mount and a stick on metal plate. It's update speed is slower than the aforementioned Xikar however that doesn't bother me as I have much more confidence in its accuracy. I will update again after I've had it a few more months.
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2015
You have to love the other reviewers that measure their glowing satisfaction of the hygrometer by how closely it reads to other digital hygrometers they have. This tells you absolutely nothing of its accuracy.

- I recently purchased three of the $32 Extech 445703 Big Digit Hygro-Thermometer units as well as a $19 La Crosse Technology 302-604R-TBP from Amazon and checked them against the Caliber IV

- I then put all five in a zip lock bag along with a slurry salt mixture which is the only sure way to calibrate a hygrometer and check for accuracy.

- A salt slurry calibration humidifies the air in a zip lock bag to exactly 75%. All 3 Exectechs and LaCross 302 all had identical reading, but 10% too low at 65%! This is why you cant check for accuracy just by comparing them to other units. But the Western Caliber IV tested correctly to 75-76% right from factory. And this is one of the few that can be calibrated if it should read too high or low, none of the others can.

- The Western also reached a stable reading in about 30 min but it took the others about 6-7 hours to reach a stable reading.

They are all going back and I'm buying another Caliber IV.

Do the salt calibration and see for yourself. Dont check on accuracy by comparing to other hygrometers!
on November 18, 2013
It works sort of ok for my purposes, and I guess this particular one is designed for cigar humidors, which means accuracy is only good at the 70%, where it is intended to be. At the 50-55% level, where musical instruments need to be, it is very inaccurate, but the reviews of the ones designed for musical instruments show the exact same problem, and this one had the best reviews of them all at the time I bought it. Maybe the size makes accuracy at the 50% level impossible? I don't know, but I have another one designed for a large room and I often compare them side by side, they only match if the level is 65% or higher, which is too high for all my needs.
44 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2014
My application is for a guitar case to monitor and maintain the humidity for high end acoustic guitars. This is a great little unit. I have compared to other units and they are all about the same readings....
Accurate, small, won't break the bank.
on February 7, 2014
I ordered the Caliber III. Since it was discontinued, Amazon sent the Caliber IV. I use the Caliber IV in my guitar case. I own a hand numbered, limited edition solid Koa classical guitar. I live in WV, where the humidity can get surprisingly low. Right now, we're struggling to keep the humidity up to 35%, even with a whole house humidifier. The Caliber IV is very small; it's 3" x 1" and only about 1/2" thick. It fits easily into the guitar case. It came with a self-adhesive magnet. Instead, I put velcro on the hygrometer to attach it to the interior of the guitar case. Most importantly, I can calibrate the Caliber IV. Using a professional digital sling psychrometer, I was able to calibrate the Caliber IV to within +/- 1.5%. The Caliber IV is very accurate; I compared the reading on the Caliber with the psychrometer, in various areas of the house, over a period of a couple of hours. The caliber not only stayed in calibration, but accurately sensed the changes in humidity. I have 2 guitars; the other case has a Planet Waves hygrometer. When I compared the Planet Waves with the psychrometer, it was accurate to +/- 4%, which is a large margin of error; it cannot be calibrated like the Caliber IV. I'm getting a third guitar and will buy another Caliber IV for the new case.
on August 14, 2015
I just received this and the one star rating is not because of its inaccuracy but is because the User Manual says I must purchase a Boveda Calibration Kit in order to test its accuracy. Using the salt test specifically voids the warranty. Nothing in the product description explains this requirement so the buyer can make an informed decision about purchasing. If Boveda is required, why not add that to the product being sold?
on December 20, 2014
I purchased this product and put it in a calibration kit (75%) to test its accuracy. It gave me 72% so I thought this unit is pretty accurate. - it actually is NOT!

I used it for a few days and it changes the humidity display (percentage) every 5 to 10 SECONDS!!! and the change was not 1 or 2 % but more than 10%...

No need to explain more. I found it no use at all so returned. Very poor performance. Build quality looked OK though.
on July 27, 2013
Needed no calibration out of the box. I have checked calibration after three, and again six weeks, still holding true
on November 23, 2015
It works. Period. I bought two for two guitar cases. Recommended to follow these instructions to calibrate:
Here's a accurate way to calibrate your hygrometer. It's a trick cigar enthusiasts have been using for some time.

Equipment needed:

Hygrometer
Table Salt
Airtight Clear container
Milk bottle (gallon jug) cap

Procedure:

Put a teaspoon, or so of salt in the cap.
Add water to make a 'slush' or paste mixture. Don't get the salt 'too wet'.
Place the cap of salt slush and your hygrometer in an airtight, clear container.
Place this container in the room the hygrometer is to be used, away from any air vents, window, drafts. You want the temperature to remain constant.
Wait 24 hours. The humidity in the container should read 75%.

If, after 24 hours, your hygromter reads, 72%, for example, you know it is reading 3% too low and you can transpose your actual room readings up or down accordingly.
on June 17, 2015
Mostly dead on arrival, the temperature display worked but the humidity display did not. Looks to be fairly cheaply made. I did call the manufacturers number listed in the instruction book, they were very indifferent and not very helpful, so I returned it to Amazon.