Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on October 3, 2014
This item is heavy and seemed to be high quality. However, it didn't seem to peel or julienne any better than cheaper tools I have. For that reason I gave it three stars. However I had to return it because the julienne cutter head kept coming off. While it was easy enough to reinsert the little ears into the holes to remount the cutter it was a nuisance to have to do so.

Update 10/7. After posting the above review I contacted Uberchef at their request. They asked me to keep the original peeler, promptly refunded my money, and sent me a replacement using 2 day shipping. This replacement peeler works as expected and I am very pleased. According to Uberchef a defective peeler may rarely get through - in which case they are dedicated to making things right. To be fair I did receive an email asking for contact if there's a problem (as does the little card in the box) and I probably should have taken them up on the offer instead of posting a review. But I will say this, Uberchef is very interested in customer satisfaction. And maybe it's a good thing that their swift corrective action made it into the reviews.
11 comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2014
Great item for making julienne vegetables. I bought this item to make pickled carrots and daikon radish for Banh Mi sandwiches. Worked great for peeling the carrots and radish and for making perfect sized strips.

I also appreciate UberChef's customer service. They sent an email letting me know the item was on its way and then to let me know to contact them with any problems. Wow! You don't get customer service like this anymore.
review image
The review sample I received has quickly become a much used tool in my kitchen. I use the julienne blade to make some attractive AND flavorful garnishes, but to also peel. There are two blades that make short work out of either process.

One thing I need to point out is the blades on this utensil are truly sharp, so the best way to store it is to hang it using the loop on the handle. I can practically guarantee that it will nick you while rummaging around in a utensil drawer if you choose to store it that way.

For julienne the head that has a long row of rake-like teeth makes even, perfect cuts. There is no friction or drag. I was surprised by how quickly (and professionally) I was able to make strings of zucchini and carrot for a garnish. If you use the julienne cutter on potatoes you will be able to quickly make hash browns that rival anything sold in the frozen food section - and yours will be fresh and healthier.

I did have a few issues with the peeling head because it can easily peel off too much if you are not careful. There is a slight learning curve and it's not a flaw in the design, but the ultra sharp blade that caused me the problem. Once I got the hang of it I was peeling with wild abandon and not wasting large chunks of the veggies I used it on. One other thing to note is is cleaning the blades take some care. You can easily cut yourself in the process because of the blades. I rinse mine under a faucet, then finish it in a dishwasher.

Bottom line: this is a professional grade utensil that is well made and works better than I expected. If you do a lot of peeling or garnishing this is must have.
11 comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2014
Love the sturdy construction, stainless steel material (vs the plastic kinds of peelers that just feel cheap), I love the fact it's easy to clean....it's super sharp too so it will get the job done regardless of what I use it for. And also the pivoting heads allow it to be used at many angles so you're not stuck just using it at one specific angle like many peelers. Great purchase and I'll be back for more UberChef products.
on September 1, 2014
There are peelers, and then there are peelers. Most peelers are the same. Not this one! I've used many different peelers over the years and have never been impressed until now. This peeler is fantastic. You will not be disappointed. I peeled a 5-lb of large carrots in mere minutes. It was fun to use!
on December 28, 2014
This is hands-down the best heavy-duty peeler I've ever owned! I easily peeled a butternut squash in just a couple minutes for a soup I was making. I will definitely recommend this Uber-Chef peeler to all of my family and friends. Great quality and price.
on June 3, 2015
I bought this after researching spiralizers as I wanted to find more interesting ways to prepare veggies. I quickly realized that I didn't really want another appliance taking up space in my kitchen, especially after the novelty wears off, and several reviewers recommended a simple julienne peeler instead. I'm glad I saw that suggestion, as this UberChef peeler works great; it seems sturdily made and quickly makes neat, narrow vegetable strips. This first thing I made was a cucumber and carrot "pasta" salad, and it took less than 90 seconds. I used the normal peeler on one side to remove the skins then rested the veggies on a cutting board and whittled them down to a nub with the julienne blade, gave it a quick rinse and was done. Easy.

It takes a little getting used to the angle of the plain peeler, as you have to angle your wrist differently for the away stroke than a regular one, so I consider it an addition, not a replacement for my normal peeler, but it works fine and is a nice feature to augment the julienne blade.

A countertop spiralizer would probably be better for large volumes of veggies, but even then you would still reach for this for quick or small jobs. For the amounts and types of things I prepare, this is perfect, and will be easily stowed away if I get tired of eating food in strand form.
on June 11, 2014
Wow, this peeler is awesome!! It is made of strong, durable metal and looks like it will last a lifetime. I have a hard time finding a potato peeler but this one has stopped my search. It is perfect and cuts fast and easy. I can't wait to try it on carrots and use the julienne feature. Highly recommend!
on January 1, 2015
This is one wicked peeler. Described by family/friends as looking like a medieval torture tool, I think it looks most like a giant old style single blade razor (something your dad or Granddad had, I haven't seen them in years). Anyway, let’s get to the facts of this remarkable kitchen tool. FIRST, its nasty sharp, and I mean sharp, be careful with it. SECOND, it's built like a very solid, high grade stainless steel kitchen tool should be (amazing some company does it right!!). This thing isn't going to break unless you hit it with a sledgehammer, and hard. THIRD. It does the job!! Boy does it do the job. To explain; I have been canning butternut squash from my garden. That skin is so tough that my peelers either bounced off of it, or in the case of a ceramic blade peeler, broke. I was forced to stick them in boiling water to soften the skin enough to peel it. Both a hassle and a bit dangerous (dipping and removing from boiling water). THEN I FOUND THIS TOOL. Didn’t know what to think at first, but they stated it was tested against butternut squash, made of high grade stainless steel, and it wasn’t expensive. Turns out, it takes that skin off of raw butternut squash like shaving with a new razor. You can make a peel about as long as you want with it, and tough sections, like the ground side, barely slow it down. A very worthwhile investment, and it’s obviously going to last for years.
The only negative about it is that the blade leaves a ‘corduroy’ pattern when it peels. This could be considered decorative if serving peeled items on a table. You won’t get a flat smooth peel like standard peelers produce. For flat out peeling tough items though, it makes no difference, and you wouldn’t use this ‘a-bomb’ tool on such simple items as cucumbers anyway. I haven’t yet used the julienne peeler side, but intend to soon. Given it’s of the same remarkable steel, sharpness and sturdiness of the peeler side, I’ll soon be enjoying a lot of hash browns.
Conclusions: This is the type of tool you’d expect to find only in high end professional restaurant kitchens. It’s made; I believe, of 18/10 stainless, the same as that really expensive pro cookware. For what you get, it’s an absolute bargain!! If you have tough vegetable peeling problems (heck, you could probably plane wood with it), you just found the solution with this tool. Buy it, and you won’t regret it (do it before these guys realize what they have and jack the price sky high!!).
on May 11, 2015
Bought this to julienne vegetables for Chinese New Year "Yee Sang" . Its VERY sharp and easy to use. The juliene vegetable could be thinner but overall i'm happy with this product.